Options

Your Unofficial Holiday Single is Here

Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 314
edited January 2019 in The Porch
There seems to be a lot of consternation in the Pearl Jam world these days, so I thought I'd share a little-known gem to start the new year on a positive note. The recording is old (and it's a cover), but I'm guessing this is new to many people. Enjoy :) 

https://we.tl/t-GgAXsN1JVZ

P.S. This song is buried at the end of the Memento Mori album (2003) by Stickfigure (Jack McDowell's old band). It's a hidden track that runs after the song "Obvious" ends. Probably just Eddie here, but I don't know for sure. 
Post edited by Human Tide on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,828
    Thanks!
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Is there any info on this? Is it the whole band minus a drummer? Year? Thanks.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    Okay, just an acoustic, with accents of an electric guitar? Maybe? Ed solo probably?
  • Options
    James Taylor cover
  • Options
    Well look at you, Thanks!!!
  • Options
    fotdfotd Posts: 514
    thank you!

I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Oh my god that was beautiful!!! I have never heard that one, thank you so much!! I am guessing 95/96.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    wow
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Damn!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Amazing.  Thank you so much. This feels like a real Christmas single
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Amazing.  Thank you so much. This feels like a real Christmas single
    totally. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited January 2019
    Walk down that lonesome road
    All by yourself
    Don't turn your head
    Back over your shoulder
    And only stop to rest yourself
    When the silver moon
    Is flying high above the trees
    If I had stopped to listen once or twice
    If I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes
    If I had cooled my head and warmed my heart
    I'd not be on this road tonight
    Carry on
    Never start feeling sorry for yourself
    It doesn't save you from your troubled mind
    Walk down that lonesome road
    All by yourself
    Don't turn your head
    Back over your shoulder
    And only stop to rest yourself
    When the silver moon
    Is flying high above the trees

Thanks...
    edit: just to say, they could have put this on A side and just an etched side B with no music or Mike strumming a bad chord (fahka part 2) for the 2017 single, and we all would have been happy. Damn...
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
  • Options
    This is what is commonly referred to as a moment where someone ‘clutches it’.

I’ve never heard this before. Ed’s voice is awesome in it! Some harmony in there too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    See, this is why I keep saying who knows what kind of gems are still unearthed! Imagine all the hidden recordings they have.....Thanks for sharing! 
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh my god that was beautiful!!! I have never heard that one, thank you so much!! I am guessing 95/96.
    This is what I am thinking too. Sometime in the period of 94-96. 
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    SOLAT319 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    This is what I am thinking too. Sometime in the period of 94-96. 
    Does anybody else hear similarities in Ed s signing on this one and Olympic platinum?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of consternation in the Pearl Jam world these days, so I thought I'd share a little-known gem to start the new year on a positive note. The recording is old (and it's a cover), but I'm guessing this is new to many people. Enjoy :) 

https://we.tl/t-GgAXsN1JVZ
    Human Tide - Thanks for sharing this! Can you provide some background on it? This is a new track for me, but reading through the comments, it sounds like the track has surfaced in the past. 

mcgruff10 - I do hear the Olympic platinum in the track. Great call. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    Huge thanks for this. A new one for me.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    Thanks! That was awesome!  A new one for me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    Now that’s a good old classic Pearl Jam Christmas single!!!

I’ve never heard that one before!?! It was beautiful, and thanks for sharing!!!

Happy New Year all and best wishes!
    -DB
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Very cool!
  • Options
    OGT92 said:
    Is there any info on this? Is it the whole band minus a drummer? Year? Thanks.
    Added some info. Just Eddie, most likely. 
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Wow, that was beautiful.  Thank u for sharing <3
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    What an incredible find!!!  🙌🙌🙌
  • Options
    moyboymoyboy Posts: 131
    edited January 2019
    Hey! I have had this since long time ago, I think I got it from Jack back in around 99 as I wanted to include it on Live From Nowhere Near You volume one. Let me see if I can dig up more info for you guys, it’s been awhile so my memory is fuzzy but it was probably given to me with more explanation and info included or at least maybe in email conversation. Let me look when back at computer next week, if I find anything more, I’ll let you know here. Happy new year!
    Post edited by moyboy on
  • Options

Mention the name Jack McDowell and many will turn their thoughts to the baseball field. After all, �Black Jack,� McDowell�s nickname during his 12-year career with the White Sox, Yankees, Indians and Angels, once loomed as one of the most feared pitchers in the American League. He won the Cy Young award in 1993 after finishing second in the voting a year earlier, going 42-20 during that two-year stretch for the Sox. But slide the latest album from stickfigure into your CD player and you�ll begin to suspect that McDowell, stickfigure�s frontman, may have been a musician who also happened to play baseball for all those years rather than the other way around.

Memento Mori, a Latin term meaning �remember we must die,� marks stickfigure�s fourth studio release, following up 2001�s Ape of the Kings. McDowell, who retired from baseball in 1999, serves as the �Black Jack� of all trades on this latest album, writing all the songs while also playing the bulk of the instruments with a little help from his friends, including Smithereens bassist Mike Mesaros and Vandals drummer Josh Freese. The result is a tight package of 11 introspective songs that range from energized rockers to mellow pop gems.

Memento Mori immediately chirps its tires with �Starting to Raise,� a crunching prologue that instantly sets the tone for the rest of the album while also serving notice: This ain�t no ballplayer hopelessly chasing after some improbable dream. McDowell and his bandmates know exactly what they�re doing in the studio, a point driven home when �Starting to Raise� gives way to the defiant �The Scars.�

This aggressive pace ebbs a bit with �Open Yours,� a haunting tune featuring a silky chorus that�ll float around in your head for days, and once �Ringo Couldn�t Drum� hits the speakers, you�ll realize just how effortlessly stickfigure can glide from guitar-drenched rock to sugary pop. For proof, give the bully �This Perfect Body� a spin before taking in the next track, �Mirrored Eyes,� which rivals the sweetness of �Open Yours.� Then there�s �As Cool as We,� which would fit perfectly onto any pop movie soundtrack.

Skeptics likely see McDowell�s name on a CD and shy away, but there�s no reason to ignore this release. Sure, it�s not the album of the year but there�s plenty here to sink your teeth into. And Pearl Jam fans will enjoy the brief appearance from Black Jack�s buddy Eddie Vedder on the disc�s hidden track. Jack McDowell�s second career may not be a commercial success yet, but that lack of attention certainly doesn�t reflect the quality of Memento Mori.

~Jamey Codding

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Nice find! Thanks a lot for posting it :clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    There's 1 used CD left over @ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGAJZS/ . Was able to pick up a new sealed copy earlier today.

Post edited by demetrios on