Options

Studio Version > Live Version Songs

13»

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Wait.... I think I know the answer.... They need to eliminate boom and tour with Brendan O’Brien!!!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Wait.... I think I know the answer.... They need to eliminate boom and tour with Brendan O’Brien!!!
    How about no keys at all. They aren’t the E Street Band. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    How about no keys at all. They aren’t the E Street Band. 
    Oh I certainly agree! But if studio is better than live, put BOB on stage
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 385
    I agree with the earlier post about Getaway.  I really like the studio version but was surprised how different (in a bad way) it sounded at Wrigley in 2018.  
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    Come Back and RVM
  • Options
    Probably SOLAT and Rearviewmirror.  Still good live, but they lack that edge that the studio recordings have.  
  • Options
    Insignificance live over studio. Case where playing it up tempo is a good thing! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Given to fly.
    98’ tour was when it was best. Now it’s just way too fast. 
    Mostly true on GTF.  But even in 2000, 2003 and 2005 for the most part it was a much much better tempo, now it is simply too fast. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Insignificance live over studio. Case where playing it up tempo is a good thing! 
    2003, 2005 when it was played more frequently and well, hell yes.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Given to fly and present tense 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 808
    Think Ed's voice ageing means the studio version of his most stellar songs win out for me. Plus any song that is down a half step live like Getaway or The Fixer makes me go a bit awww even though the performances might be great. I heard a couple of awesome versions of In Hiding live in 2000 though (and saw one in 98) but that and Given To Fly's  studio versions are just flawless to me and would always win. Also STBC-Matt gives it a punk drive live but his drums are almost a bit too heavy for it. Whereas the studio version was a bit thrashy which I love. The only drummer around that era whose whip crack snare sounds like Dave A and would fit well there to me is Jimmy Chamberlin.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    I never hear if songs are "down a helf step" or not. 

Being tonedeaf rocks.

Given to Fly in studio lacks punch. Eddies newly-woken voice works for a lot of songs, but not DTE or GTF.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930

Being tonedeaf rocks.

Given to Fly in studio lacks punch. Eddies newly-woken voice works for a lot of songs, but not DTE or GTF.
    Same here. I suppose I’m glad my ear is not that finely tuned.

I must be in the very small minority of those who puts GTF live above studio. I think Ed’s voice sounds great on it today. Wrigley 2 this year was an incredible version and the crowd energy was palpable. The only issue is the tempo.  I agree with most it’s too fast, but that’s most songs live now. 
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    bbiggs said:
    Yellow Ledbetter for me.  I’ve always been a big fan of the studio version, but have never liked it live.  What other songs do people feel are better in the studio than live? 
    Check out the live version off the Daughter single or the 95’ SF version. 
    There
     is no 95' SF version of Ledbetter.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Being tonedeaf rocks.

I must be in the very small minority of those who puts GTF live above studio. I think Ed’s voice sounds great on it today. Wrigley 2 this year was an incredible version and the crowd energy was palpable. The only issue is the tempo.  I agree with most it’s too fast, but that’s most songs live now. 
    I love songs slow and impactful, Never been into punk and stuff where they don't have time to get the words out of their mouth because it's so fast. 

A slow down live version of Given to Fly would blow me away. 

And there is something off with the studio production of GTF and DTE - both of those songs are like in a weird prison of production on the album. They're held back. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Yellow Ledbetter for me.  I’ve always been a big fan of the studio version, but have never liked it live.  What other songs do people feel are better in the studio than live? 
    Check out the live version off the Daughter single or the 95’ SF version. 
    There
     is no 95' SF version of Ledbetter.
    @cropdustdair
    Soldier Field Chicago 1995
    Mike’s solo - particularly when he steps on his wah pedal near the end. Chills. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    My bad. When I see "SF" I immediately think San Francisco.
  • Options
    My bad. When I see "SF" I immediately think San Francisco.
    Bad shortcut thumb typing on my part. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Ghost
    Infallible
    Tremor Christ
    Mankind
    Brain Of J
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    bbiggs said:

Being tonedeaf rocks.

I agree on GTF. I think the '18 versions were the best I've ever heard. Ed sounded great on those. It seems like every tour there are a handful of songs that blow away the previous versions. I prefer them over the studio version by a mile.
    It's a hopeless situation...