Options

Best "Teen Movie"

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    I don't know that I could rank a top 5.  Fast Times is obviously my #1, Ferris is up there, as is American Pie.  Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, & Pretty in Pink are all classics.  Clueless, Varsity Blues & She's All That haven't been mentioned in either thread I don't think. And on that note, Not Another Teen Movie is one of the greatest spoof films ever.  Jawbreaker is another good one.  I don't know if Election counts as a teen movie, but it's spectacular!  10 Things I Hate About You, Juno, and Easy A also deserve discussion.  Good mention on Kids, that one always seems to be forgotten.
     16 Candles, 
    While clearly not the greatest teen movie ever, it did have the greatest character in a teen movie ever...

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Poncier said:
    I don't know that I could rank a top 5.  Fast Times is obviously my #1, Ferris is up there, as is American Pie.  Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, & Pretty in Pink are all classics.  Clueless, Varsity Blues & She's All That haven't been mentioned in either thread I don't think. And on that note, Not Another Teen Movie is one of the greatest spoof films ever.  Jawbreaker is another good one.  I don't know if Election counts as a teen movie, but it's spectacular!  10 Things I Hate About You, Juno, and Easy A also deserve discussion.  Good mention on Kids, that one always seems to be forgotten.
     16 Candles, 
    While clearly not the greatest teen movie ever, it did have the greatest character in a teen movie ever...

OMG, you need to see when they discussed this movie and how obvious the racism in it was but that was from a time when you could tell off color jokes and not worry about Crucifixion.

"AUTOMOBILE?!?  AUTOMOBILE?!?!?!?!"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    "Lake...big lake."
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    "You beat up my face"
    "you grabbed my nuts"
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    erebus said:
    I'll add to the list Weird Science and Project X for a little more modern take on the genre 
    Films like Weird Science, Project X, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future, Lost Boys, Bill & Ted, Say anything, Better off Dead, Animal House, Stand by Me are all movies that were either not Teenage enough(Stand by Me, Animal House) or just bad movies(Outsiders, Teen Wolf).

You can name a ton more movies but the ones that will rise at the end of the day were the initial 20 I had listed.
    EDIT: Having listed Breakfast Club I didn't feel the need to add Pretty in Pink or 16 Candles even though they are great I felt that Breakfast Club was head and shoulders above them.
     Spot on with the edit. They are all classics but if you give me the choice of the three, I'll take Breakfast Club every time.
  • Options
    I had a crush on Molly Ringwald back in the day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    And I looked like Molly Ringwald back in the day.
    I agree that The Breakfast Club was the clear winner of the Hughes movies.

But when I think about "teen movies" and what makes them good/ bad/ great, I'm trying to look at them both as a teenager and as an adult. Some of these movies -- Fast Times, Clueless, Dazed and Confused -- I can watch and enjoy now. Others (looking at you, John Hughes) I enjoyed to a greater or lesser extent as a teen, but the whole time there was a tiny part of me that was cringing. And now, as an adult, I watch them and roll my eyes. Meanwhile, I probably can recite most of the lines from Clueless from memory, I watch it so regularly.

And it's not just an issue of changing times. "Long Duk Dong" was overtly racist in the '80s, too. Molly Ringwald wrote an interesting essay about revisiting John Hughes' movies in the #MeToo era. I have to admit, the idea of trading one's girlfriend for another girls' underwear elicited absolutely no reaction from me as a teenage girl. I had pretty thoroughly internalized the message that my role in sexual transactions was to be a passive one. And I'm a big fan of "classic Hollywood" movies from the '30s and '40s, even though the depictions of black and Asian characters are distorted, two-dimensional and demeaning.

So it's not that I'm looking at John Hughes movies as an adult and screeching "Ick! Sexism!" The characters just feel too crudely drawn for my liking, and there's an undercurrent of -- I'm not sure what -- bitterness? anger? in his movies that makes me uncomfortable.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Red Dawn
  • Options
    Superbad
    This is def the best:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Jason P said:
    Red Dawn
    Stop it, stop!!!
  • Options
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    This is def the best:

aaaaaand I'm sure everyone but you hasn't seen it, lol.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    The Breakfast Club
    i'll do a quick list

1. Breakfast Club
    2. Dazed and Confused
    3. Fast Times at Ridgmeont High
    4. Stand By Me (Not sure how old the kids were suppose to be, but i'll put it in here)
    5. Sixteen Candles
    6. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    7. Suprebad
    8. Goonies
    9. Harry Potter series
    10. Not Another Teen Movie
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Dazed and Confused
    Top 5:

Dazed and Confused
    Heathers
    Fast Times
    Say Anything
    Breakfast Club
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited December 2018
    Superbad
    This is def the best:

aaaaaand I'm sure everyone but you hasn't seen it, lol.
    Give it a try. It's called "Show me Love" (after the Robyn song) outside of the Nordic countries I think. (Åmål is a small town in Sweden). It's heartbreaking.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Dazed and Confused
    Fucking Emil.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Titanic.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Superbad
    Hobbes said:
    Fucking Emil.

(how do you know my name?)
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    John Hughes at his best (with the exception being Christmas Vacation)
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Dazed and Confused
    Empire Records is a good one too. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    RS151862 said:
    Empire Records is a good one too. 
    I thought about mentioning that one and The Wonders, both Liv Tyler movies.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Would the goonies be considered a teen movie?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, that and Stand By me are too young and pre-teen just like Animal House are too old.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Dazed and Confused
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, that and Stand By me are too young and pre-teen just like Animal House are too old.
    For the pre-teen genre, Stand By Me and Goonies are light years ahead of the rest.
  • Options
    Stand By Me was not as pre-teen movie. It was dark as hell.

It was definitely a teen movie- serving as a tribute to turbulent pre-teen times that teens could relate to.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I could go back and forth on Fast Times and Dazed at #1.
    Others in too 5?
    Tough . 
    American Pie, the Outsiders, and....wild things? (One scene can make a movie!)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Oh - I see on reading that I forgot Kids.  (And My Bodyguard was awesome!) .Lots of good movies in this genre.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I've never seen Dazed And Confused.

I now know what it's like to be Scruffy.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Dazed and Confused

Seriously? Never? 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Seriously? Never? 

Dead serious.

I'm going to watch it within the next month for sure.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Ferris Buellers Day Off

What the hell is wrong with you?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......