Options

Studio Version > Live Version Songs

bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
Yellow Ledbetter for me.  I’ve always been a big fan of the studio version, but have never liked it live.  What other songs do people feel are better in the studio than live? 

Comments

• Options
    Fatal
    strangest tribe
    other side
    brother
    push me pull me
    ghost

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    WMA
    In My Tree (although it's still good live)
    Getaway
    Infallible
  • Options
    rummy said:
    WMA
    In My Tree (although it's still good live)
    Getaway
    Infallible
    Agree with In My Tree, but I also enjoy it live. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Pretty much anything they don’t include in their setlists regularly 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    Present Tense
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    Present Tense
    Oh wow. I think it's the opposite! To each his/her own. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    I Got Id
    Crazy Mary
  • Options
    I Got Id
    Crazy Mary
    Crazy Mary for sure....although the 2000 performances were pretty solid.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    KN219077 said:
    Present Tense
    I agree. Present tense is so good live! 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    I Got Id
    Crazy Mary
    Crazy Mary for sure....although the 2000 performances were pretty solid.
    Crazy Mary is so much better live to me. That’s what’s cool about this...so many different perspectives! 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Fatal
    strangest tribe
    other side
    brother
    push me pull me
    ghost

Otherside in Krakow > studio version by a large margin for me man. I heard it in Worcester as well and Krakow was amazing imo. The other ones I can agree with though Fatal is great live too. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2018
    Ledbetter is an absolute mess live. If I never hear it again, it will be a total blessing.
    SOLAT is one that has never really done it for me live, but love the studio version. It seems to lose its punch on stage.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    bbiggs said:
    Yellow Ledbetter for me.  I’ve always been a big fan of the studio version, but have never liked it live.  What other songs do people feel are better in the studio than live? 
    Check out the live version off the Daughter single or the 95’ SF version. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anything prior to Binaural- drumming 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Check out the live version off the Daughter single or the 95’ SF version. 
    Thanks man! Will do. I’d like to find a live version that I like. 
  • Options
    Ledbetter is an absolute mess live. If I never hear it again, it will be a total blessing.
    SOLAT is one that has never really done it for me live, but love the studio version. It seems to lose its punch on stage.
    The early live versions were great. The Unplugged version is my absolute favorite. But I agree that it doesn’t pack the same punch live that it used to.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Crazy Mary might be my single favorite studio performance. Live, mm, not necessarily a highlight of the show for me. Though, in relistening to the Spectrum 2009 shows, CM from then was especially good. I can second the 2000 tour comment too.
  • Options
    I got ID
  • Options
    ceska said:
    Crazy Mary might be my single favorite studio performance. Live, mm, not necessarily a highlight of the show for me. Though, in relistening to the Spectrum 2009 shows, CM from then was especially good. I can second the 2000 tour comment too.

rummy
    said:
    KN219077 said:
    Present Tense
    Yeah the studio version of PT is very tame, almost too tame like All Those Yesterdays. It’s much more powerful live.

I don’t think they ever recreated the studio magic they had on Corduroy. The Corduroy intro is at its best slow and introverted on the album. Best versions would definitely be from 95/96. Something about STBC was always lacking live. 

I always liked the trancy ending where  McCready is very Wash like on the studio Crazy Mary. But it’s a fun song when they jam it out live as well.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I Got Id studio
    Long Road live - though I really really love the Dead Man Walking studio version best. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    Corduroy 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Up until about 1995 every song live was equal to studio ,especially with Dave A playing drums 
    I think the list just grows year after year the decline in the live songs
    The early years were faultless live but of course being so young as a band and fresh that transpired into the live sets
    Still great live but the early stuff ,I believe is the greatest live music ever or equal too
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    Fatal
    strangest tribe
    other side
    brother
    push me pull me
    ghost

Otherside in Krakow > studio version by a large margin for me man. I heard it in Worcester as well and Krakow was amazing imo. The other ones I can agree with though Fatal is great live too. 
    Naw, maybe if they had played Otherside at Benaroya Hall. The same with Strangest Tribe.

The mood and atmosphere of the slower Lost Dogs songs "can't" be recaptured live.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    GO and MY FATHERS SON are away better studio version
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    PJNB said:
    Fatal
    strangest tribe
    other side
    brother
    push me pull me
    ghost

Naw, maybe if they had played Otherside at Benaroya Hall. The same with Strangest Tribe.

The mood and atmosphere of the slower Lost Dogs songs "can't" be recaptured live.
    I do not think they need to be recaptured at all but think that Otherside in Krakow is the definitive version and will be my go to when wanting to listen to it. Stand up Otherside needs to be played more. 

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Studio Porch >>>>>>>> Live Porch, at least in recent years.  I cannot stand that choppy intro they play nowadays.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Fatal
    strangest tribe
    other side
    brother
    push me pull me
    ghost

I do not think they need to be recaptured at all but think that Otherside in Krakow is the definitive version and will be my go to when wanting to listen to it. Stand up Otherside needs to be played more. 

I went crazy when they started it in Krakow - I loved it. 

But there is just something about those songs on Lost Dogs. They're packaged in a production of pure magic. They, and Riot Act.

Would have prefered it a bit slower/heavier live, but yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopGNOyrILY
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Immortality.  Especially if Ed forgets the lyrics.  Plus the Bridge on the album sounds better than the live version bridge.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Not really what was asked, but Binaural live vs Binaural studio through headphones are just 2 completely different experiences.. Love both

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Light years. When Ive seen it live the tempo was off. More than once.