Options

The not so Merry Christmas thread

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
For those that don't have a merry Christmas be it due to family issues, mental illness, addiction, unemployment, grief etc.

Thought I'd kick things off.....
My Christmas is never a merry one because my mother ruins it every year for the family. She always finds something every year to get upset about without fail. It feels like it's a curse on the family that every Christmas is a sad one.
She was all upset this morning for reasons I don't know why, she gets in these moods and lashes out at everybody. Told me to leave her alone and not talk to her.
I got pissed off at being treated like that and being made to feel like I did something wrong when I didn't so I lashed out "fuck you and your Christmas".
Now she's all pissed off at me for saying that as it is a slight on Catholicism and this holy day. Plus the fact that I said hello to a mentally disturbed neighbour as he kept staring at me when I was entering my property has her upset at me (that's a story for another thread/time).
Anyhow, this evening she lashed out at me for what I said and told me that I can't even fuck a girl let alone Jesus and Christmas. That comment has pretty much stung.
Felt like venting somewhere before I tear shit up.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    For those that don't have a merry Christmas be it due to family issues, mental illness, addiction, unemployment, grief etc.

Thought I'd kick things off.....
    My Christmas is never a merry one because my mother ruins it every year for the family. She always finds something every year to get upset about without fail. It feels like it's a curse on the family that every Christmas is a sad one.
    She was all upset this morning for reasons I don't know why, she gets in these moods and lashes out at everybody. Told me to leave her alone and not talk to her.
    I got pissed off at being treated like that and being made to feel like I did something wrong when I didn't so I lashed out "fuck you and your Christmas".
    Now she's all pissed off at me for saying that as it is a slight on Catholicism and this holy day. Plus the fact that I said hello to a mentally disturbed neighbour as he kept staring at me when I was entering my property has her upset at me (that's a story for another thread/time).
    Anyhow, this evening she lashed out at me for what I said and told me that I can't even fuck a girl let alone Jesus and Christmas. That comment has pretty much stung.
    Felt like venting somewhere before I tear shit up.
    Thank you for creating this thread, thoughts.  Thoughts, I'm sorry that you are struggling with family issues at Christmas.  I really have no advice for you.  Just good thoughts.  I often wonder if that is why we consume so much alcohol at Christmas, because of the family...and I'm serious.

I have not enjoyed Christmas since my mom passed in 2014, her Christmas meal was the best and she loved Christmas.  As you may or may not know, I have been separated from my wife for a year.  She left Dec 30th last year, I am confident she was cheating.  So this Friday I begin a divorce action.  

So yeah, Christmas will always suck for me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Let's remember Christmas is very lonely for a lot of people, especially the elderly.  I have plans with my Dad.  Maybe if you need a break, see if a retirement home needs volunteers on Christmas.  That might bring a smile to your face.  Nothing makes me smile more than chatting up with seniors.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Sorry to hear dude.
    Yeah I was aware of your marital situation but not your mum. I am sorry for your loss. Do you have her recipes so you can cook like she did?
    Thanks for replying.
    I am feeling quite down now after what was a great day. Chatted online to my best friend and he said that I sound good.
    Little does he know how it has turned sour since we chatted 2 hours ago.
    I cannot remember a happy Christmas since I was a little child.
    Now my mum is in bed and ignoring me after I tried to explain I meant HER Christmas  and how she always ruins it and not Christmas in general. 
    She acts like such a good Catholic, goes to church on boxing day and the day after because they are some holy days too.
    She organised for a priest to visit this Thursday to bless the house. I'll make sure I am not here as I do not want to be lectured by some asshole as to why I don't go to church.
    She also said she is going to tell everyone (relatives and her friends) what I said, like I give a shit.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Let's remember Christmas is very lonely for a lot of people, especially the elderly.  I have plans with my Dad.  Maybe if you need a break, see if a retirement home needs volunteers on Christmas.  That might bring a smile to your face.  Nothing makes me smile more than chatting up with seniors.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    At my lowest a few years ago I was choking back tears when I was out doing grocery shopping on Christmas eve seeing all the happy couples and families around me and knowing I am alone.
  • Options
    They say you can control how you respond to situations.
    Well I keep saying it to myself but I am still feeling low.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sorry to hear dude.
    Yeah I was aware of your marital situation but not your mum. I am sorry for your loss. Do you have her recipes so you can cook like she did?
    Thanks for replying.
    I am feeling quite down now after what was a great day. Chatted online to my best friend and he said that I sound good.
    Little does he know how it has turned sour since we chatted 2 hours ago.
    I cannot remember a happy Christmas since I was a little child.
    Now my mum is in bed and ignoring me after I tried to explain I meant HER Christmas  and how she always ruins it and not Christmas in general. 
    She acts like such a good Catholic, goes to church on boxing day and the day after because they are some holy days too.
    She organised for a priest to visit this Thursday to bless the house. I'll make sure I am not here as I do not want to be lectured by some asshole as to why I don't go to church.
    She also said she is going to tell everyone (relatives and her friends) what I said, like I give a shit.

That is a shitty situation your mum has put you in.  All I can do is offer compassion and understanding.  Some people want a perfect Christmas, is that what your Mom expects?  I'm agnostic, so for me, I look at Christmas as just another day for the most part, even when my mom was alive.  When you say "bless the house", do you mean the people in the house. or the house itself"?  Thoughts, hang in there, it's gotta get better, doesn't it?  

The good news in my divorce, I lose the batshit crazy mother in law ... she is a holy roller from hell.  She believes Noah's Ark happened.  She attends weekly bible study sessions.  Trust me, you and I are better than she ever is.

My Mom's last few years were not good.  Mother's Day of 2011, my brother never called and wished her a happy mother's day.  He lived in Calgary, my parents lived in Southern Ontario, she knew something was wrong, she called the Calgary police, they called back 4 hours later, he was found dead in his kitchen...Imagine being a mother, being told your eldest son died on Mother's Day.  My brother had a mild stroke 10 years before his death, it left him with seizure's, he also battled alcohol most of his life.

I can not imagine what my mother went through.  Mother's Day meant nothing to her after that day.  And I don't blame her.

All I can is hang in there.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So sorry that you lost your brother :(
    Yeah it's hard to recover from the loss of a loved one. You only learn to cope.

Sounds like your former mother in law would make great friends with my mother.

My mum wants a Christmas with all of us together but it won't happen because me and my sister are estranged from our other sister plus both sisters do their own thing with their own families. But her ruining Christmas has been going on before our family broke apart.

I'm not looking for solutions I just needed to vent here.
    I love the festivity of this time of the year, to me having a good time with those you love sounds good even if you're not religious. 
    That's what I want, to be happy, eat good food, enjoy summer. But my mum is a black hole.
    But with my mother it's always a stressful two days, Christmas eve and day.

Thank you.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    The holidays are tough because the expectations of it being such a happy time for everyone are so unrealistic.  There may be a few joyful people out there but even people without family issues, financial pressures or health problems of their own or a loved ones get tired and stressed out.  Yesterday I hugged my coworkers and reminded them this is the last weekend before Christmas...we're gonna survive!   I'm beyond tired but too exhausted to sleep now. 
    In addition to demanding public contact jobs I have also dealt with dysfunctional family dynamics for as long as I can remember.  It's not a parent but a sibling who is a hypercritical control freak that creates a lot of anxiety and conflict. I have tried to argue or settle the situation for years but now I know that this person is not going to change and to expect negative actions as it seems your mother has always done also. It's rough but I just don't engage in the bullshit and try to remember that they are unhappy people who can't help lashing out to make themselves feel better.  I actually pity them because it's a sad way to live. And once they see their bullying isn't controlling you they may ease up but they won't ever really change and it's up to you to figure out the best ways to preserve your own sanity and self worth. 
    The idea of getting away and visiting with people who would love to have company is great.  If you aren't up to that go for a long walk and absorb the nature and sky. 
    Best thoughts going out to you both.  Have a not so Merry Christmas but wishes for a Happier New Year in 2019. 

• Options
    Thanks Camjam.
    Gee your sibling sounds exactly like my sister who I am estranged from due to her behaviour.
    I feel like just getting away and hiding alone for the day. Don't know where to go sadly.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Yesterday, I was talking to a guy who I only know a little about.  I know he is from back east and his family is back there.  I know he has had some struggles and seems to have to deal with depression. But he is also not very forthcoming with his feelings and I don't like to pry into other's business.  So I suspect this is a hard time of year for him and I just tried to be subtly supportive in my words and somehow impart a sense of caring without prying.  It's a good time of year to just be kind to others. 

Thoughts, thanks for reminding us that for some, this is a time of year that is not always cheerful and ho ho ho.  As camsjams said, the expectations around the holidays are often high and maybe unrealistic and that can be tough for some. 

For me, the holidays are a bit wearing.  Work is a lot harder- book sales are up and I can't complain about that but my knees and back sure can!  And it's a busy time of year when my animal nature just wants to go into hibernation.  January will be good that way... oh, but then its tax time.  No relief for the weary!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hang in there Thoughts. You're lucky because it's summer there right? Maybe grab a book or a sketch pad and go to the beach or a park. Offer to run any and all errands just to get out even if for just a few minutes can help.
  • Options
    I am actually contemplating heading to the city to visit the royal botanical gardens. Want to stroll around and take photos. Thanks.
  • Options
    Great idea! 
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    The only thing that we can control in this world is our behaviour. We can't change how other people behave. I hope everyone stays safe tomorrow.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Brian, I think you made a difference just by being kind to your friend.  Sometimes when people are alone and feeling down, kindness is the best medicine.

thoughts, hang in there.  In a week it will be over.  Good idea going to the gardens.  When it gets to stressful remember to just breath.  It’s not easy.

Camsjam, great advice.

As for myself I try to stay strong, it’s not easy sometimes.  I am spending Christmas Eve and Day with my Dad.  We get along good, so i’m Less alone.  But there is a void.  I do know my marriage was over before it was official in my wife’s eyes.  3 weeks before she left me, i was crossing the street as a pedestrian and some lady made her ornament, fortunately I only had minor injuries and a concussion.  

Everyone who is struggling, stay safe, be strong and be kind.  Even an asshole like me has been kind and patient when out and about..

i will I’ll be checking these boards throughout Christmas.  Vent if need be.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I'm at the gardens now. Taking a break after 2 hours walking. Seeing so many happy people around is hurting. I am like the only loner here. Couples, families, groups of friends.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926
    Sending out hugs and good wishes to those who need them.  I’m wishing all of us moments of peace and safe harbours if needed.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Thank you, Meltdown
  • Options
    Thank you fifth element
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I am exhausted. Big day. I walked 22k steps today.
    Here are photos of my day out. I took these for painting ideas (497 photos).
    They have a Californian garden.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dmf_Xt1ul-URVWmuH9ApOffAMDKBtTqJ?usp=sharing
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    edited December 2018

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dmf_Xt1ul-URVWmuH9ApOffAMDKBtTqJ?usp=sharing
    Damn those are great pictures where is that ? 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    Never mind I just realized California duh 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    You know what always makes me feel better when I'm feeling down on Christmas?......

Fucking.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

I don't think California. He's in Australia. I think the garden was called a 'California garden'.

Cheers you two.

Thoughts... the sun always comes out from behind the clouds. There'll come a time when you are ready to leave yourself exposed to rejection and failure... only to result in something very rewarding for your life. Everyone on here has experienced personal failure in relationships and failure in establishing them. Of course those failures are not fun and they don't feel very good, but they are necessary.

There's someone for everyone and those someone aren't hard to find if you aren't so damn guarded. I mean... look at Scruffy for example ( @mcgruff10 ). At first glance, he isn't much, but if you give that goofy bugger a chance... he ends up being okay. If he can find a wife... hell... an orangutan can.

I'm sure you got an orangutan beat! You got good taste in music- there's a start to defining your character. You write very well- you're intelligent (this is not an underrated asset). And I'll stop there.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Whenever I am down in the dumps, I do two things. I watch about 15 minutes of  Maury Povich or something dumb like that. This always helps me reset and realize whatever problems I have, there a lot of people with MUCH bigger problems than me. Then I will just go and watch stand up comedy. Nothing dissipates my bad moods better than laughter. I know it sucks when you have to force yourself to find something to be happy about. This too shall pass.
  • Options

Damn those are great pictures where is that ? 
    Thank you dude.
    I tried to orchestrate each picture how I'd like it to appear in a painting.
    It is at the Royal Botanic Gardens in my city of Melbourne, Australia.
  • Options

I don't think California. He's in Australia. I think the garden was called a 'California garden'.

Cheers you two.

Thoughts... the sun always comes out from behind the clouds. There'll come a time when you are ready to leave yourself exposed to rejection and failure... only to result in something very rewarding for your life. Everyone on here has experienced personal failure in relationships and failure in establishing them. Of course those failures are not fun and they don't feel very good, but they are necessary.

There's someone for everyone and those someone aren't hard to find if you aren't so damn guarded. I mean... look at Scruffy for example ( @mcgruff10 ). At first glance, he isn't much, but if you give that goofy bugger a chance... he ends up being okay. If he can find a wife... hell... an orangutan can.

I'm sure you got an orangutan beat! You got good taste in music- there's a start to defining your character. You write very well- you're intelligent (this is not an underrated asset). And I'll stop there.  
    Thank you mate. Appreciate the kind words. Much love to you.
  • Options
    I'm feeling better today. New day, new sunshine. Did some boxing day shopping and now watching cricket.
  • Options
    I'm feeling better today. New day, new sunshine. Did some boxing day shopping and now watching cricket.
    That's good.  It sounds like you survived Christmas, we all did I guess.  Just hang in there.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Thanks dude. I survived indeed. Seeing my best friend tomorrow after a long 3-4 months. Helps catching up with friends which I've been doing this month.