Options

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

2»

Comments

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    That's a sexy looking tele.

And those knobs tie the room, er the guitar together!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Okay the finish looks fantastic. Was it the clear coats you were happy about?

Really really looks great.

yeah, i didn't realize i'd be able to get a gloss with the tung oil but since it's the kind that has drying agents and varnish in it, i can. now, if i really wanted to, i could go further and fill the grain entirely by sanding down, adding more, sanding down etc. but i didn't want the perfectly smooth, typical finish. partially because i wanted to see how it would feel with some grain and partially b/c i couldn't be arsed trying to reach perfectly level, perfectly gloss because that would lead only to frustration for me. i'm way to perfectionistic and will generally, in efforts to make things perfect, end up ruining them. for instance, it took me three tries to mount the bigsby in an alignment that looked good (not easy because the whole thing is cockeyed. the tension bar isn't parallel to the string retainer isn't parallel to the ends of the horseshoe etc.). i did my best to align the tension bar with the ashtray.

so how good this body looks in person depends on one's sense of aesthetics and whether seeing and feeling the grain is interesting or not. i think it looks fine and the guitar was meant to look rather rustic and get beaten up without the reality of chipping poly finish etc. with the neck, i'll finish the back with just a few light coats and it'll be matte finsh but i'll gloss the headstock to match the gloss on the body.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    Okay the finish looks fantastic. Was it the clear coats you were happy about?

Really really looks great.

yeah, i didn't realize i'd be able to get a gloss with the tung oil but since it's the kind that has drying agents and varnish in it, i can. now, if i really wanted to, i could go further and fill the grain entirely by sanding down, adding more, sanding down etc. but i didn't want the perfectly smooth, typical finish. partially because i wanted to see how it would feel with some grain and partially b/c i couldn't be arsed trying to reach perfectly level, perfectly gloss because that would lead only to frustration for me. i'm way to perfectionistic and will generally, in efforts to make things perfect, end up ruining them. for instance, it took me three tries to mount the bigsby in an alignment that looked good (not easy because the whole thing is cockeyed. the tension bar isn't parallel to the string retainer isn't parallel to the ends of the horseshoe etc.). i did my best to align the tension bar with the ashtray.

so how good this body looks in person depends on one's sense of aesthetics and whether seeing and feeling the grain is interesting or not. i think it looks fine and the guitar was meant to look rather rustic and get beaten up without the reality of chipping poly finish etc. with the neck, i'll finish the back with just a few light coats and it'll be matte finsh but i'll gloss the headstock to match the gloss on the body.

Peavey T-40's with the Natural finish are the same way. You feel the grains. They look great.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:1,s:0

Really does look good. I'd talk my self out of the drilling for the bigsby right away. No matter how perfect I had it set up, I'd still talk myself out of it. I have the same issues with being a perfectionist, but working to fast in the first place.

Does warmoth offer the bigsby pre drilled in the tele bodies?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    no, they don't offer the bigsby holes.
  • Options
    photo.JPG

the body is complete for what will be the 12-string once the neck arrives.

5-way switch with the neck and bridge pickups. toggle switch turns the mid pickup on. so 10 tones. fender scn pickups.
  • Options
    Looks good bud...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024