Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Would love to see them go the Yondr route for a few small shows and not release bootlegs. Give the band a chance to do whatever they want and make a few mistakes, let Ed get political, etc. 

I'd be fine with an EV solo tour next year, even if a new PJ album came out.

I'd also be down if EV releases a duets album of covers before another PJ album releases.

I would trade any more multi-day shows at Wrigley for single appearances at Alpine Valley (and I live 10 minutes from Wrigleyville).
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Fuck Wrigley
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Anyone who would choose to go and see a Pearl Jam tribute band when Mudhoney is on in the same town on the same night is not okay, I believe.
    I wouldn't see either one.  I've found that PJ tribute bands always overdo Ed's voice and end up sounding more like Days of the New or Creed.  And Mudhoney is just murder on the ears.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Anyone who would choose to go and see a Pearl Jam tribute band when Mudhoney is on in the same town on the same night is not okay, I believe.
    I wouldn't see either one.  I've found that PJ tribute bands always overdo Ed's voice and end up sounding more like Days of the New or Creed.  And Mudhoney is just murder on the ears.
    Admittedly, the likelihood of one overdoing EV's voice has kept me from seeing any PJ tribute bands - and the fact that I've been fortunate enough to have seen the real deal, on average, once per year over the last seven years!

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    lastexitlondon said: I'm old fashioned and I have found facebook/Twitter/Instagram just a pointless habit  that wastes time and causes problems and conflict when it's not their in real life. That s just my veiw. Too easy to be upset and to upset others. I'm good without all of it
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • rummy said:
    Admittedly, the likelihood of one overdoing EV's voice has kept me from seeing any PJ tribute bands - and the fact that I've been fortunate enough to have seen the real deal, on average, once per year over the last seven years!

The worst concert experience of my life was seeing Evenflow the tribute band once in St. Louis. It was awful. The lead singer was a tool. They had girls up on stage making out and showing their stuff during Daughter. Of all songs...Daughter. My first live experience of hearing Sad was thar band. I remember when the band kicked into Sad during The Vic show my mind went back to that night and thought, “I really wish this was my first live experience with this song and not the version from those fucking tools in Evenflow.” 
    ^^^
    that does sound awful.  i would have left.
  • vaggar99 said:
    ^^^
    that does sound awful.  i would have left.
    That’s exactly what I did. (The tribute show. Not  The Vic. Ha!)
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Covering a band is one thing.  Covering a bands entire catalog that is active is just...I actually do not have the correct words for it.

Some band that has some silly name like EvenFlow was playing before the Philly 2003 Spectrum show.  All I wanted to do was buy the fanclub member who got me his extra a beer.  We were both slowly tortured, started laughing and just went into the spectrum to talk PJ instead waiting for Sparta to open up instead.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    edited December 2018
    I actually found myself giddy while holding my iPhone up along with the crowd during Won’t Back Down. For years I refused to give up my BlackBerry but finally acknowledged if Ed is going to *really* notice me I need a proper device flashlight. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PB11041 said:
    Covering a band is one thing.  Covering a bands entire catalog that is active is just...I actually do not have the correct words for it.

Some band that has some silly name like EvenFlow was playing before the Philly 2003 Spectrum show.  All I wanted to do was buy the fanclub member who got me his extra a beer.  We were both slowly tortured, started laughing and just went into the spectrum to talk PJ instead waiting for Sparta to open up instead.

Another liberal use of the word "active."
  • The End is a good song
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • The End is a good song
    Yes it is. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    A lot of the tour posters are really ugly.
  • The End is a good song
    Yes it is. 
    IN A WELL
    WHAT THE HELL
    DID I FELL?
    WHO CAN TELL
    THIS IS HELL

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rummy said:

Thank you. I thought it was me.
    edited December 2018
    the band should stop releasing a holiday single on vinyl.  its pretty much a joke at this point.  its rarely anything worth getting excited about (or anything we have not already heard).  it can't be all that cheap to have these made. seems like a waste of effort and at this point, the band just does it out of tradition.  also, vinyl is a generally inconvenient format that really needs to die.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    rummy said:
    For a band of their size, they get some pretty awful posters. Like embarrassingly bad
    Eddie needs to stop drinking on stage.
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    It should be illegal to put anything except multi-colored lights on a Christmas tree. You’re all-white tree isn’t “elegant” or “classy.” On the contrary, Christmas is supposed to be festive, a celebration, not “elegant” or “classy.” 
    Hahaha, I think I might agree with you on that one..🤣
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    rummy said:
    +1.  Those are the only ones I have.
  • rummy said:
    Not really an unpopoular opinion. More of a fact :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • vaggar99 said:
    :giggle:
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• vaggar99 said:
    Mike should stop pointing finger towards the crowd. He’s been sloppy lately
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
    vaggar99 said:

I would contend the sloppiness has little to do with pointing. These are the things that tend to happen to us as we ease into semi retirement.  He has earned his right to be sloppy.
    vaggar99 said:
    not sure what he does off stage.  but, it does seem like a reduction is in order.
  • vaggar99 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    not sure what he does off stage.  but, it does seem like a reduction is in order.
    Glad to hear that. We want PJ for many many years to come ;)
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    vaggar99 said:
    Agree..and quit running around the stage..I prefer a stationary rock guitar God..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    vaggar99 said:
    the band should stop releasing a holiday single on vinyl.  its pretty much a joke at this point.  its rarely anything worth getting excited about (or anything we have not already heard).  it can't be all that cheap to have these made. seems like a waste of effort and at this point, the band just does it out of tradition.  also, vinyl is a generally inconvenient format that really needs to die.

Didn’t they stop them already? ;)
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18