No not "Roger"😢 Famous Aussie kangaroo dies

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    12 is old?  Bummer.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.
    old for a roo.. 6 foot 7 too big fella. My grandpa was a roo shooter years ago he said he saw a massive big red one day that he didnt have the heart to shoot it was that big.
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.
    old for a roo.. 6 foot 7 too big fella. My grandpa was a roo shooter years ago he said he saw a massive big red one day that he didnt have the heart to shoot it was that big.
    I'm sorry to hear they shoot roos.  I was invited to dinner at in in-laws house a few years ago and out host said he had a special "treat" for us- barbecued kangaroo.  I bit my tongue and figured that was enough meat for that meal for me.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.

Just curious as to why?  Do Australians eat roo, or is their another reason...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.

yes kangaroo meat is high in protein and iron a very lean meat. we export it all over the world. My uncles were also roo shooters. I dont eat it but it is pretty much the same as beef but healthier. Its also used for dog food. kangaroo tail is supposed to be the best part. The indigenous people mainly ate roo before the European invasion. The aboriginal people in the north mainly still eat goannas, snakes, turtles and dugongs.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.
    I'm sorry to hear they shoot roos.  I was invited to dinner at in in-laws house a few years ago and out host said he had a special "treat" for us- barbecued kangaroo.  I bit my tongue and figured that was enough meat for that meal for me.  
    Because of the drought here at the moment the roos are rampant. There are many professional roo shooters but also many rogue shooters who do it for fun. A man was just jailed here last week for chasing down a roo and stabbing it 22 times for the hell of it. Intentional cruelty is looked down on but yes there is a thriving  industry for kangaroo meat. They would also be a biggest road kill by far! Not uncommon to see a dead roo every few kilometers on the road.
    www.kangarooindustry.com
    brianlux said:
    12 is old?  Bummer.

yes kangaroo meat is high in protein and iron a very lean meat. we export it all over the world. My uncles were also roo shooters. I dont eat it but it is pretty much the same as beef but healthier. Its also used for dog food. kangaroo tail is supposed to be the best part. The indigenous people mainly ate roo before the European invasion. The aboriginal people in the north mainly still eat goannas, snakes, turtles and dugongs.
    I did not know that, I read @brianlux post.  But sometimes he likes to sneak sarcasm in on us...lol

The same reason people eat roo, is why many prefer venison (much healthier) ...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Personally, I rarely eat meat of any animal other than poultry and especially avoid eating large mammal meat with one exception:

This is the roo...quite buff looking.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • A fine specimen.  Powerful looking dude
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I wish I was that muscular 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I wish I was that muscular 
    And Roger never joined a gym...lol.  But that is one buff Roo.  
    Give Peas A Chance…