Options

Eddie Vedder to perform at Global Citizen Fest: Mandela 100 in Johannesburg December 2nd

1235»

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    Oigotid88 said:
    i missed the first 20 minutes of the MSNBC special. Unless they did I'm not sure they're gonna show Ed. Did they mention him in the beginning?
    Yes, they've shown him each time they've come on air and mentioned him several times. We'll probably get one song. 
    I see it's 3 hours. Thought it was going to be 1
    You saw that Eddie is coming up?? Looks like they're gonna show Better Man with the choir. 
    yes. I mean I already saw it live. But want to watch on my tv. Wrong Ed up now. But I like this song
    I really enjoyed this Ed. He's talented. The video quality is much better on TV for sure. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738

Totally sucks @ the 5:05:00 mark they cut away during Betterman on this broadcast. :/
    But they came back to finish Ed's set.

The Official Global Citizen YouTube channel aired Ed's whole set.

Didn't catch the MSNBC Broadcast. Hope someone was able to capture it in 1080p.

• Options
  • Options
    Has anyone seen a 1080p rip of Ed's performance?
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Posted this on the other chat. Will post more comments tomorrow. Am too tired and just watching the repeat screening on tv.

Wow Long Road just amazing....

Hi everyone. it has been a very busy two days for me. Only got to bed at 4am. 

The Global Citizen Festival Mandela 100 here in Johannesburg, my home town, was a huge success and incredible event! Naturally I was there to see Eddie perform in my city and country. A huge honour and truly, truly special. This would have been the 20th time I have seen him perform-16 PJ shows and three solo shows. It was incredible. I could not believe he started with Porch, then into Long Road, Betterman and ending wth Imagine. All of this with the Soweto Gospel Choir. I think it was at this point that my voice started to play up as I was singing at the top of my voice and cheering even louder. It was an overwhelming moment for me. 

The crowd had no clue who Ed was apart from a very small percentage of the people in the stadium. But it did not detract from the sincerity and humility with which he delivered those songs. I was in my element. Thank you Ed. 

I just wanted to say something about the land matter here even though it had nothing to do with the original post. There is in current day South Africa a huge imbalance in land ownership due to historical issues as we all know. That is an injustice that must be corrected. So unless you do not believe in justice you will believe that white farmers are being ostracised by the present day government. That is simply not true. 

I just wanted to put that on record and speaking as a South African. 

Once again, thank you Ed. A beautiful and special night under African skies. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    "We are deeply disturbed by the reports of criminal activity against festival guests as they tried to leave the venue last night. The safety of our guests is always paramount and we understand and empathise with their concern and anger. The South African Police has made a statement to request that all victims file reports with them, which we strongly encourage. There will be more details to follow. "
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    "We are deeply disturbed by the reports of criminal activity against festival guests as they tried to leave the venue last night. The safety of our guests is always paramount and we understand and empathise with their concern and anger. The South African Police has made a statement to request that all victims file reports with them, which we strongly encourage. There will be more details to follow. "
    What happened??
  • Options
    Posted this on the other chat. Will post more comments tomorrow. Am too tired and just watching the repeat screening on tv.

The Global Citizen Festival Mandela 100 here in Johannesburg, my home town, was a huge success and incredible event! Naturally I was there to see Eddie perform in my city and country. A huge honour and truly, truly special. This would have been the 20th time I have seen him perform-16 PJ shows and three solo shows. It was incredible. I could not believe he started with Porch, then into Long Road, Betterman and ending wth Imagine. All of this with the Soweto Gospel Choir. I think it was at this point that my voice started to play up as I was singing at the top of my voice and cheering even louder. It was an overwhelming moment for me. 

The crowd had no clue who Ed was apart from a very small percentage of the people in the stadium. But it did not detract from the sincerity and humility with which he delivered those songs. I was in my element. Thank you Ed. 

I just wanted to say something about the land matter here even though it had nothing to do with the original post. There is in current day South Africa a huge imbalance in land ownership due to historical issues as we all know. That is an injustice that must be corrected. So unless you do not believe in justice you will believe that white farmers are being ostracised by the present day government. That is simply not true. 

I'm glad you got Imagine, I know that you had asked for it. :smile:
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,315
    njnancy said:
    demetrios said:
    What happened??
    People were being robbed after the show and there was no police presence
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    demetrios said:
    What happened??
    Holy Crap. that's horrible.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    Just watched this, what a beautiful performance!
  • Options
    Ed is visiting the Molo Sessions Fans today. :)

• Options
    njnancy said:

I'm glad you got Imagine, I know that you had asked for it. :smile:
    Thank you! You mean that he could have played it because there was a request for it? Wow I didn't think of it like that.  
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    demetrios said:
    What happened??
    I have grown up and lived in Johannesburg all my life. I have been to the FNB Stadium many, many times for many different events. This is the first time anything of this nature has happened to me. We were caught up in the criminal activities after the show. Fortunately we emerged unharmed. This kind of criminal activity gives South Africa such a bad name. South African people at large remain peace-loving, welcoming and friendly people. I hope this does not deter anyone from visiting our beautiful country, including the band.

I do hope that Eddie and his family had a good stay while here. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    MK225952 said:
    I was there and the sound was quite good for his set, his voice really came through strong for a notorious difficult stadium.  Unfortunately 90-95% of people there doesn't know Pearl Jam or Eddie.  The people around me was respectful enough to remain quiet for me to really enjoy it.  Was there from 11:30 and waited just for Eddie...and it was worth it!!
    Yeah absolutely couldn't agree more....
    rustedsigns
  • Options

• Options
    AbiRamaAbiRama Durban, South Africa Posts: 15
    People were stabbed and robbed en masse outside the stadium, it wasn't a pretty sight. They should've thought twice about having this event in Johannesburg.
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options