Options

Eddie Vedder to perform at Global Citizen Fest: Mandela 100 in Johannesburg December 2nd

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Loved long road!! What a nice surprise. Porch was kind of rough.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    That was pretty good. The choir tunes def made it. Wish he had played more than 4 tunes though. People complaining bout Ed’s voice should realize that it takes a couple tunes to get your voice warmed up. That’s why his “misses” are usually at the start of the show (songs like Blood and Habit being exceptions for the wear n tear factor). Hoping he comes out as a guest spot before this thing is over. 
    And yeah, the lives comments are/were ridiculous. I turned the show on during the Ed Sheeran set for my daughter and had to turn the comments off 5 sec later because they were moronic. 
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited December 2018

Ya know I was listening to Porch and thinking how good Eddie’s voice sounded. Up there with only a guitar. 
    Pretty amazing if you ask me. 
    All of it was beautiful. 

Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    mcgruff10 said:
    Porch solo is was just ok imo. It is a cool song if you know Pearl Jam and like the different factor but for a show like this I feel like it is not best suited. That said his 3 shows in Italy I really loved that tune by himself. Pretty raw and lots of emotion.  

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Porch solo is was just ok imo. It is a cool song if you know Pearl Jam and like the different factor but for a show like this I feel like it is not best suited. That said his 3 shows in Italy I really loved that tune by himself. Pretty raw and lots of emotion.  

I feel in 2018 it's a song for people who's in PJ/EV mode. Especially the Eddie-solo version.

Not for an arena of people waiting for Beyonce. 

Surprised he didn't play an Into the Wild song.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OPRAH!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OPRAHS MIC IS GONE!
  • Options
    I was there and the sound was quite good for his set, his voice really came through strong for a notorious difficult stadium.  Unfortunately 90-95% of people there doesn't know Pearl Jam or Eddie.  The people around me was respectful enough to remain quiet for me to really enjoy it.  Was there from 11:30 and waited just for Eddie...and it was worth it!!
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2018 | Eddie Vedder Johannesburg 2018
  • Options
    BEYONCE!!!!
  • Options
    What the fuck has happend to modern music
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Ed hearts celebrity.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Ed hearts charity.
    Fixed.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    MK225952 said:
    I was there and the sound was quite good for his set, his voice really came through strong for a notorious difficult stadium.  Unfortunately 90-95% of people there doesn't know Pearl Jam or Eddie.  The people around me was respectful enough to remain quiet for me to really enjoy it.  Was there from 11:30 and waited just for Eddie...and it was worth it!!
    Very cool. Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to get my hands on a good version of that Long Road. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    MK225952 said:
    Very cool. Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to get my hands on a good version of that Long Road. 
    Long road was amazing!! 
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    just watched it on youtube, it was good but short, plus they interrupted his performance 2x  so missed half of porch and half of betterman, which was kind of annoying. . .anybody know if he turned up anywhere else in the festival?
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    just watched it on youtube, it was good but short, plus they interrupted his performance 2x  so missed half of porch and half of betterman, which was kind of annoying. . .anybody know if he turned up anywhere else in the festival?
    I do not remember any interruptions. I was trying to keep my 3 kids busy though while I was watching it so maybe I missed it. 
  • Options
    The live stream was uninterrupted. 

I too thought Porch was a bit rough. It’s a great song, but I didn’t think it fit too well today, but whatever. It was a cool performance overall. 
  • Options
    I'm shocked that he only played 4 songs.  What a miss by the organizers.  Not to have at least double that amount in like a 10 hour festival is a real missed opportunity.  Ed of course was great and gracious but what a shame.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    saw some people say their stream was interrupted. Were you watching the youtube stream?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kst said:
    I'm shocked that he only played 4 songs.  What a miss by the organizers.  Not to have at least double that amount in like a 10 hour festival is a real missed opportunity.  Ed of course was great and gracious but what a shame.
    the fact that he got top billing over Ed Sheeran is good enough. And they don't know Eddie or Pearl Jam over there unfortunately
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kst said:
    in all honesty the crowd was pretty dead when he was playing.  I don’t think anyone knew who he was. 
  • Options
    airing a 1 hour special now on MSNBC
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited December 2018
    I have to agree with the people who were aggravated by the comments during the live stream. It was disrespectful of every single performer  and the entire purpose of the event. I could go through the rest of my life without ever seeing another bee emoji. 

I have to give it to Ed Sheerhan - he was damn good.

Ed is just so humble. Just him and a guitar,  in front of a crowd that largely doesn't know him.  Saying that he is an opener for Beyonce and Jay-Z.  He and Christ Martin did the same thing for Rhiannon. He does what they ask of him. I love that he gives a shit. 

I like when he does Porch on the guitar,.

The Long Road for Mandela's family and his brother Chris, sniff. It was beautiful.

Better Man was awesome with the choir. I loved the drums and male and female parts and they were so into it. Definitely a different vibe to the song.

And Imagine was a great closer. Asking the stadium to show that they are in it with him by shining their phones 'cause I'm up here all alone'. I loved that.  

I wish there were more singers with just an instrument and their voices up there without all the fancy BS, esp for a charity event like this. But that's just my opinion. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    I also had no interruption in the live stream, except for wifi interference. 
  • Options
    i missed the first 20 minutes of the MSNBC special. Unless they did I'm not sure they're gonna show Ed. Did they mention him in the beginning?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    They haven't shown Eddie yet at all. Showed one song from Usher, Sheerhan, Pharrell, some speeches and Beyonce and Jay Z. I watched the live stream earlier today cause I knew they'd chop it to bits. But I'm watching now too. 
  • Options
    Oigotid88 said:
    i missed the first 20 minutes of the MSNBC special. Unless they did I'm not sure they're gonna show Ed. Did they mention him in the beginning?
    Yes, they've shown him each time they've come on air and mentioned him several times. We'll probably get one song. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Oigotid88 said:
    Yes, they've shown him each time they've come on air and mentioned him several times. We'll probably get one song. 
    I see it's 3 hours. Thought it was going to be 1
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    Oigotid88 said:
    You saw that Eddie is coming up?? Looks like they're gonna show Better Man with the choir. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    igotid88 said:
    njnancy said:
    Oigotid88 said:
    You saw that Eddie is coming up?? Looks like they're gonna show Better Man with the choir. 
    yes. I mean I already saw it live. But want to watch on my tv. Wrong Ed up now. But I like this song
    I miss igotid88