Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    I'm probably weird in that shoulders are my favorite muscles to train. Overhead press might be my favorite exercise lol.

I agree with you gambs, in that shoulders are easily injured. My only advice would be to properly warm them up before doing presses and raises. Arm circles (both forwards and backwards) along with some side rotations usually get me warmed up enough to move on to the main exercises.

I love doing what I call the raise circuit. It's 10 front raises, followed immediately by 10 lateral raises, and finally 10 bent over rear delt raises. Rest about 90 seconds or so then repeat. I started out doing 4 sets, but have gotten it up to 8 sets now. When I get to 10 sets, I'll up the weight and work back up to 10 sets. Your shoulders should be burning (a good burn lol) when you get done.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    At what point do I move to heavier weights? I am still slightly sore.
    I am no expert at weights, but my understanding is that it's not about sore, it's about how it's actually going as you are doing your reps and sets. If the 10th rep is as easy as the 1st, then it's time to move up, but if the last few reps are still a challenge to do cleanly, with good form, then you're at the right weight for now. 
    Thanks.
    I am struggling with shoulder exercises but find all else okay to do.
    Yeah for some
    shoulder exercises you use very light weights. What is your workout looking like?
    My workout includes all the following at 10 reps in 3 sets, currently using 11lb of weights on each dumbbell for each excercise...

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...
    https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/#6

So this would be a circuit, no?  @rgambs
    I am definitely thinking you can bench press more than 22 lbs.  Don't forget legs.

Batman never skips leg day.

I agree, you should be able to increase your weight for bench press. I'd suggest working in some pushups, too.
    @Thoughts_Arrive it sounds like you are at a good weight for lateral raises for now.
    In general, you want to work your larger muscles first, so start with chest and back, then move to shoulders, then arms.

And don't forget core. We've been over that before, I think. :-)

Resting: I think one minute rest is enough for what you are doing. Lifting heavy for deadlifts or squats, etc., you would want to get a full two minutes of rest. But assuming that your heart isn't racing, one minute is plenty. Use that time to stretch more than to check your email. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am no expert at weights, but my understanding is that it's not about sore, it's about how it's actually going as you are doing your reps and sets. If the 10th rep is as easy as the 1st, then it's time to move up, but if the last few reps are still a challenge to do cleanly, with good form, then you're at the right weight for now. 
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some
    shoulder exercises you use very light weights. What is your workout looking like?
    My workout includes all the following at 10 reps in 3 sets, currently using 11lb of weights on each dumbbell for each excercise...

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...

I am definitely thinking you can bench press more than 22 lbs.  Don't forget legs.

I agree, you should be able to increase your weight for bench press. I'd suggest working in some pushups, too.
    @Thoughts_Arrive it sounds like you are at a good weight for lateral raises for now.
    In general, you want to work your larger muscles first, so start with chest and back, then move to shoulders, then arms.

Resting: I think one minute rest is enough for what you are doing. Lifting heavy for deadlifts or squats, etc., you would want to get a full two minutes of rest. But assuming that your heart isn't racing, one minute is plenty. Use that time to stretch more than to check your email. :-)
    Unless you’re expecting a text from Agnes 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rgambs said:
    I have a question, how long do I rest between sets?
    I am currently resting 1-2 minutes.
    There's no set time, you want to rest the shortest amount of time that doesn't negatively impact the next set.
    It sounds like your intensity is low, so 30-60 seconds should be enough.
    You should probably not fully catch your breath through an entire workout, you should always be just a little winded.
    Thank you.
    Yeah, starting light. I actually started on 9lb. Taking it slow.
    Today I increased my reps to 12 for all exercises except the lateral raises and shoulder presses. I still cannot complete my last set of lateral raises. 
    I've also noticed my left arm always struggles more than my right arm. What's with that?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I'm probably weird in that shoulders are my favorite muscles to train. Overhead press might be my favorite exercise lol.

I agree with you gambs, in that shoulders are easily injured. My only advice would be to properly warm them up before doing presses and raises. Arm circles (both forwards and backwards) along with some side rotations usually get me warmed up enough to move on to the main exercises.

I love doing what I call the raise circuit. It's 10 front raises, followed immediately by 10 lateral raises, and finally 10 bent over rear delt raises. Rest about 90 seconds or so then repeat. I started out doing 4 sets, but have gotten it up to 8 sets now. When I get to 10 sets, I'll up the weight and work back up to 10 sets. Your shoulders should be burning (a good burn lol) when you get done.
    Thanks.
    I've started as of today to warm up my shoulders.
    I always get a snap/pop in my right shoulder when I raise and lower my arm. I've had this issue for a while and will ask my physiotherapist about it. I believe it's from bowling when playing cricket.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...

Thanks.
    Which exercises target the back?
    I do a plank (minimum 1 minute, trying to get to 2 minutes) and push ups every day so that should cover the core?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    There's no set time, you want to rest the shortest amount of time that doesn't negatively impact the next set.
    You should probably not fully catch your breath through an entire workout, you should always be just a little winded.
    Thank you.
    Today I increased my reps to 12 for all exercises except the lateral raises and shoulder presses. I still cannot complete my last set of lateral raises. 
    I've also noticed my left arm always struggles more than my right arm. What's with that?
    Hahahaha that's the man-time effect.
    Certain solo endeavours are typically performed often and energetically with the dominant hand, leading to a better mind-muscle connection and increased muscle tone.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you.
    Certain solo endeavours are typically performed often and energetically with the dominant hand, leading to a better mind-muscle connection and increased muscle tone.
    I was guessing that was why as I am right handed.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you.

I'm not sure if I needed to know that or not. But it's so obvious that it's interesting. 

I'm glad you guys are helping each other out, but weight lifting is not where I am at. 

And I've got two blown rotator cuffs so I agree that shoulders do not age well. Same with my back & neck - they were all broken/injured a long time ago and were manageable, but time wears on bones and joints that have been injured. I have to exercise differently to protect my back. 

Anyway - I need to find a yoga thread. This stuff is too hard core for me. Especially right now. 

Happy lifting! And eat healthy - I'm talking to you gambs!

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...

Thanks.
    I do a plank (minimum 1 minute, trying to get to 2 minutes) and push ups every day so that should cover the core?
    Exercises to target the back are pretty much any pulling motion. Pullups, rows, pulldowns etc. As your pulling, try to imagine pulling from your elbows and not your hands. That will help target your back more and help create the mind muscle connection. 
    njnancy said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you.

I'm not sure if I needed to know that or not. But it's so obvious that it's interesting. 

I'm glad you guys are helping each other out, but weight lifting is not where I am at. 

And I've got two blown rotator cuffs so I agree that shoulders do not age well. Same with my back & neck - they were all broken/injured a long time ago and were manageable, but time wears on bones and joints that have been injured. I have to exercise differently to protect my back. 

Anyway - I need to find a yoga thread. This stuff is too hard core for me. Especially right now. 

Happy lifting! And eat healthy - I'm talking to you gambs!

I meant right handed for writing and other day to day tasks.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...

Thanks.
    Exercises to target the back are pretty much any pulling motion. Pullups, rows, pulldowns etc. As your pulling, try to imagine pulling from your elbows and not your hands. That will help target your back more and help create the mind muscle connection. 
    How can I do that with dumbbells? I don't have anything else.
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by markymark550 on
    Feeling sore now, 12 hours after my session. I guess that is what doing 12 reps per set as opposed to 10 does. Glad to be sore.
    edited December 2018
    Thanks!
    That first link is the website I've been using for my current exercises ha
    I guess I am already working my back as that first link shows the kneeling one arm row.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Should I do the back exercises one day and the exercises I currently do for my arms and chest on another day?
    Or is that too much weight work?
    Then there's legs, geesh!
    Should I do the back exercises one day and the exercises I currently do for my arms and chest on another day?
    Or is that too much weight work?
    Then there's legs, geesh!
    Honestly, it's personal preference. If you do the exercises you listed previously and feel that you can do rows/pull ups with good form, then go ahead.

Some people like to focus on one muscle group during a workout. You'd basically break down your training into chest day, leg day, shoulder day, back day, and arm day. I usually follow this kind of schedule when I am able to get to the gym 5+ days a week. Some people do a push/pull/legs program, which is good for when you can't workout every day. Still others will do full body workouts whenever they train. There's some scientific research that found full body workouts get better results; however, I find them to be really taxing on my body and just aren't as fun imo. Look at your schedule and build a workout plan for that schedule. Try different methods out and find one that you like.
    I think (not sure!) that some people break it down into: leg day; back and biceps; chest, shoulders, triceps. But don't quote me on that.

I'm about to move to a four day/week plan, where I do lower body twice a week and upper body twice a week, 75-90 minutes/ session. (I do core at least five days a week.) You do need to figure out what works for you.

markymark pointed you to good dumbbell exercises for your back. If you don't have a pull-up bar, I suggest getting one (that second link he shared has some portable/ affordable options). If you can't do pull-ups unassisted, a set of bands can offer you support/ assistance until you are strong enough for unassisted pullups.

Not a man, but I think your dominant side is going to be stronger because you use it more in most activities. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Thanks guys.
    Yes I still struggle with my non dominant arm.
    Lateral raises still struggling to get to 10 reps.
    I'll just work it out as you guys said.

I have two questions,

1. Usually I eat a banana and have a coffee when I wake up before my weight session.
    I then read online today that you should not do weights on an empty stomach as that can lead to you burning muscles instead of fat.
    This website suggested having a banana and piece of wholegrain bread 30 minutes before beginning your weight session.
    Can anyone confirm this is the case?

2. After each weight session I hop onto my spin bike and do 30-60 minutes of cardio/fat burn followed by push ups, bench dips and a plank for over a minute. Is this a good or bad thing to do? Would this cause my muscles to be burned off seeing I am only fuelled by coffee, a banana, and piece of bread?

Thanks in advance.

I am definitely not a nutrition expert, so let me just preface that for the following. It's my understanding that if you just want to burn fat, that exercising on an empty stomach is fine. Working out in a fasted state makes your body produce cortisol, which will cause your body to also break down muscle for fuel. If you want to drop fat while maintaining (or adding) muscle, you shouldn't work out in a fasted state. If I were you, I would try to add some kind of protein with the banana. Maybe some peanut butter or almond butter on toast. I know people who drink a cup of two of coffee as their pre-workout (caffeine is a component of the pre-workout drink mixes), so you should be ok with coffee.

Imo if you're going to do both cardio and weights, do the cardio at the end of your workout. Glycogen (aka carbs) are your primary fuel source during exercise. Depleting your glycogen by first doing cardio inhibits your ability to gain muscle and strength. Plus, cardio first will fatigue you more, leading to inefficient weight training. However, if you weight train first, your muscles are using the glycogen stores, which will lead to burning more fat during cardio. I wouldn't do the pushups, dips, plank, etc after cardio. Do your weight training and use those others as finishers, then do your cardio.

After your workout, you should try to get some protein. This will help prevent the body using muscles for fuel and help produce muscle synthesis.
    Thank you for the information!
    Yeah I always do cardio last to save energy for weights.

What are everyone's thoughts on protein powder? I've read they are unhealthy as they can cause kidney and liver damage as well as osteoporosis?
    Good advice from mark!
    I would ammend to say that whichever is your primary goal (burning fat or building muscle) is the one you should do first.  Ideally, your cardio and weight training sessions are at different times of day or different days, and then they won't interfere with each other.
    That being said, peri-workout nutrition and it's effect is a very complicated subject, and it's a game of millimetres.  In your new to training state, you don't need to worry about any of that, most of it is for elite levels where you need every edge you can get.

Eat right and work hard and you will see vast improvement in no time.  Enjoy this first year, every subsequent one sees less progress from more work.
    They call it newb gainz in the douchier circles of fitness.

Eating: I can't run after eating, so I eat as little as possible when I get up in the morning (normally, it's literally twelve almonds). I lift in the afternoons, and, yes, I eat before I do that.

Protein powder: I've used protein powder and protein shakes, but TBH I work out a LOT -- like, 3-4 hours/ day -- and it can be hard for me to get enough protein/ calories. There's only so much chicken a person can eat, LOL.  If you are doing a more "typical" amount of exercise, eating a healthy diet of real food with adequate protein should be fine.

What are everyone's thoughts on protein powder? I've read they are unhealthy as they can cause kidney and liver damage as well as osteoporosis?
    I have never seen anything about protein powder having those side effects. I thought that whey protein was generally considered to be safe. The only thing I've noticed from using it is a little digestive disturbance (mainly just more gassy).

I have never seen anything about protein powder having those side effects. I thought that whey protein was generally considered to be safe. The only thing I've noticed from using it is a little digestive disturbance (mainly just more gassy).

If you tend to be lactose-intolerant, I suggest taking lactase with whey protein shakes/ powders, even though they say that it's not needed (in my experience, it IS helpful).

And from what I've read, taking in too much (or just a lot more) protein can lead to constipation, so you need to make sure you are drinking enough water (and eating foods that contain fiber).
    I'm looking forward to going through my workout calendar from the year and tallyin' up some metrics.
    I am interested to see how many gross "no work" days I've had, and how many of those are offset by two-a-days.  I'm pretty sure I hit 300 this year.
    I think my running mileage will be between 500-700 for the year, but that's a wild guess.
    I didn't keep count of push-ups and pull-ups(outside of the focus month for each when I did 5,000 and 2,100), but I can get get a rough low estimate of both by counting up chest/Tri and back/bi workouts.  I never do fewer than 50 pushups and 20 pull-ups on those days so I'll use those numbers and know that they are low.

Ah -- me too!

I tracked mileage, core, pushups, pullups,  and dips (once I realized I could do unassisted dips -- eek!). Yes, I am a geek.

I'm in kind of a weird place. We moved back across the country, so I had to find a new trainer. The new guy seems just fine, but, you know -- you never forget your first. :-D Seriously, though, it was a big step for me to find a trainer, and doing so made a big difference in my life.

I'm staring down my 50th birthday :-(  and trying to think about goals for next year. That's hard to do, because 1) moving is hard and occupies a lot of bandwidth, for me; 2) unlike most people, weight loss is NOT an obvious goal, or a goal at all, for me (I know, I know). We ordered ourselves a spin bike as a joint birthday gift, and I'm planning on using it 2-3 times/ week, but I'm reluctant to give in to all of the people who keep telling me I will ruin my knees by running (pro tip: that's not actually a thing. Running won't ruin your knees.)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Running ruined my knees! :lol:

Seriously, I loved running, but every time I got serious about it, my knee pain got unbearable. I eventually accepted that I’m not built for running. That’s fine. 

I don't track my activity but I do ride my bike almost every day, rain or shine, unless I’m out of town, so I’m sure I’m well over 300 days there. I average three climbing days per week but that can get interrupted by life circumstances and injuries. I don’t feel like I need to record it because I am always motivated to go and I always enjoy it, so there’s no need to try to increase my enthusiasm by recording gains. I also know I’m making progress, just by the routes I’m now regularly sending. I’m well into the 5-11s. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    When I first started running, my knees hurt. Then I switched shoes -- no more knee pain.

I had knee pain this summer -- it wasn't related to knee issues at all, it was a tight IT band.

Some people develop knee problems, others don't, and apparently it's not actually related to running (so you can develop joint problems without running at all). So, yeah, in that way, either running is for you or it isn't. :-)