Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I did weights today. My arms feel dead.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Good! That’s how they’re supposed to feel. 

When I first started climbing, I would climb my guts out for the whole class. At the end I would go back to my car and sit in the driver’s seat and wonder if I would even be able to lift my arms to drive home. They felt like cooked noodles :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

When I first started climbing, I would climb my guts out for the whole class. At the end I would go back to my car and sit in the driver’s seat and wonder if I would even be able to lift my arms to drive home. They felt like cooked noodles :lol: 
    I could barely wash my hair and blowdry it. 
    It would be easier with a buzzcut but I don't want to chop off my long locks :-( 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

It would be easier with a buzzcut but I don't want to chop off my long locks :-( 

Ah. Now is a good time to mention the importance of stretching -- for upper body too. It's not just something you do before or after running. Speaking as an old lady, I'd urge you to start developing that habit now. Staying flexible only becomes harder with age. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Still doing 2 hours every morning but Sunday.  Getting leaner and stronger slow and steady.  Losing 50lbs was really hard.  People say maintaining weight loss is harder, but I don't find that to be the case at all.
    My average pace over a 3-5 mile run has come down to about 7m:30s and I'm seeing muscle growth speed up a little with a decreased lifting volume.  Slow and steady for the winter, try to bulk without the bulge, and then in spring I'm going to try to cut down to visible abs.  Probably not going to get there, but I will be looking better than ever for swim season either way.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    @rgambs I think maintaining weight loss is easier if you have been doing what you are doing -- adding lean mass as you go.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    @rgambs I think maintaining weight loss is easier if you have been doing what you are doing -- adding lean mass as you go.
    That's a good point, and true for several reasons.

Moderation in my diet has been a hard fought battle, but I'm in a pretty comfortable groove right now and I'm glad for it, I'll ride as long as I can and keep it as a blueprint for the future.  
    I have been really walking the line with bulimia for years and I expect to have to battle those tendancies again at some point.
    rgambs said:
    That's a good point, and true for several reasons.

Moderation in my diet has been a hard fought battle, but I'm in a pretty comfortable groove right now and I'm glad for it, I'll ride as long as I can and keep it as a blueprint for the future.  
    I have been really walking the line with bulimia for years and I expect to have to battle those tendancies again at some point.

Well, for what it's worth: I've not had issues with bulimia, but I am female and have had my share of disordered eating issues and body image issues.

Perhaps the biggest benefit I've reaped from the last two years (when I began working with a trainer, lifting regularly, being more thoughtful and purposeful about my exercise) has been the mental benefit. My relationship with food has improved dramatically. It helps that I'm lean enough and active enough that "cheat days" are good for me, of course. But I changed my diet with an eye to giving my body what it needed instead of yielding to every craving -- and the cravings actually went away. And my fitness improved. And my appearance improved. Which caused my feelings about myself to improve, which left me feeling motivated to treat my body better....

So an unanticipated consequence was that I managed to break out of my rut. Perhaps you have done the same?

Ah. Now is a good time to mention the importance of stretching -- for upper body too. It's not just something you do before or after running. Speaking as an old lady, I'd urge you to start developing that habit now. Staying flexible only becomes harder with age. :-)
    Noted.
    Today I did my second session of weights. Sore but good. 
    I find shoulder exercises (shoulder press and lateral raise) the hardest to do, I struggle on the 7th/8th rep out of 10 reps in the set.
    Today I did my second session of weights. Sore but good. 
    I find shoulder exercises (shoulder press and lateral raise) the hardest to do, I struggle on the 7th/8th rep out of 10 reps in the set.

Second session is a great step toward making this a habit!

We all have exercises (or parts of our chosen sport) that we dislike. Usually it's because we're weaker at those parts. That means you've got to keep doing them.

I read a quote in a climbing magazine that likely applies to all sports - "train your weaknesses and climb your strengths". I think it's good advice. 
    Thank you oftenreading. 
    I am enjoying it so far. I do get lightheaded with the shoulder exercises when I struggle during the end of my sets.
    My Fitbit said I burned 264 calories after my 20 minutes weight session.
    At what point do I move to heavier weights? I am still slightly sore.
    I am no expert at weights, but my understanding is that it's not about sore, it's about how it's actually going as you are doing your reps and sets. If the 10th rep is as easy as the 1st, then it's time to move up, but if the last few reps are still a challenge to do cleanly, with good form, then you're at the right weight for now. 
    I am no expert at weights, but my understanding is that it's not about sore, it's about how it's actually going as you are doing your reps and sets. If the 10th rep is as easy as the 1st, then it's time to move up, but if the last few reps are still a challenge to do cleanly, with good form, then you're at the right weight for now. 
    Thanks.
    I am struggling with shoulder exercises but find all else okay to do.
    I think lateral raises are a bear for most people. Focus on having good form and on being able to control the weight when you are both raising and lowering it.

As far as increasing the weight: Assuming you are doing multiple sets (ten reps? so three sets of ten?), the first set should be easy, second manageable, third more challenging but you still get all of your reps in. At that point, you can increase the weight; I think the general rule is to increase by ten percent, but it might be five percent.

Assuming that you are starting with relatively light weights, so increasing by five-ten percent isn't really an option, I would say first increase the number of reps, to twelve or fifteen/ set. Once you can do that, go to the next larger set of dumbbells that are available, and switch back to fewer reps.

And FWIW, I've seen a lot of men using ten-pound dumbbells for lateral raises. It really is a tough exercise.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some
    shoulder exercises you use very light weights. What is your workout looking like?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I do lateral raises in pyramid sets, and it is brutal.
    10lbs 25 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 10 reps
    20 second pause
    15lbs 10 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 25 reps

Lateral raises should always be done slow tempo and controlled, otherwise it's a waste of time and shoulder life.
    I think lateral raises are a bear for most people. Focus on having good form and on being able to control the weight when you are both raising and lowering it.

As far as increasing the weight: Assuming you are doing multiple sets (ten reps? so three sets of ten?), the first set should be easy, second manageable, third more challenging but you still get all of your reps in. At that point, you can increase the weight; I think the general rule is to increase by ten percent, but it might be five percent.

Assuming that you are starting with relatively light weights, so increasing by five-ten percent isn't really an option, I would say first increase the number of reps, to twelve or fifteen/ set. Once you can do that, go to the next larger set of dumbbells that are available, and switch back to fewer reps.

And FWIW, I've seen a lot of men using ten-pound dumbbells for lateral raises. It really is a tough exercise.
    I do 10 reps in 3 sets.
    I find the first set I can complete but by the third set I cannot do more than 7-8 reps.
    I am currently using 11lb of weights on each dumbbell. Yes, light.
    I find the lateral raises and bicep curls the hardest, the rest I get through relatively easy. So maybe more reps for those I breeze through?
    Thanks.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some
    shoulder exercises you use very light weights. What is your workout looking like?
    My workout includes all the following at 10 reps in 3 sets, currently using 11lb of weights on each dumbbell for each excercise...

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...
    https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/#6

rgambs said:
    10lbs 25 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 10 reps
    20 second pause
    15lbs 10 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 25 reps

Lateral raises should always be done slow tempo and controlled, otherwise it's a waste of time and shoulder life.
    So they can screw up your shoulders?
    My right shoulder is sore.
    Not sure if from incorrect technique during bench dips or going to fast during the lateral raises or going down to low during lying fly.
    I was doing bench dips incorrectly as per this video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFzYGmvDyg
    I have a question, how long do I rest between sets?
    I am currently resting 1-2 minutes.
    I like this guy, he's a physiotherapist so he knows what is right and wrong...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM
    Aaaand I've been doing this wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S298ziysRdI
  • I've fallen off the wagon and need to get back on...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks.
    Yeah for some
    My workout includes all the following at 10 reps in 3 sets, currently using 11lb of weights on each dumbbell for each excercise...

Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    Alternated biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Kneeling one arm rows
    Bench press
    Lying fly

All from this page...
    https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/#6

So this would be a circuit, no?  @rgambs
    I am definitely thinking you can bench press more than 22 lbs.  Don't forget legs.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    rgambs said:
    10lbs 25 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 10 reps
    20 second pause
    15lbs 10 reps
    12lbs 15 reps
    15lbs 25 reps

So they can screw up your shoulders?
    My right shoulder is sore.
    Not sure if from incorrect technique during bench dips or going to fast during the lateral raises or going down to low during lying fly.
    Being alive screws up your shoulders lol
    It's just an easily worn and injured joint, because it has such incredible articulation.
    The main thing you want to avoid is internal rotation under load, there's always a better alternative to those exercises, the upright row being the biggest culprit. 
    T_A, that guy is great and starting with proper form (and he shows just how technical and complicated that can be) will yield much greater results and set good habits for the future.
    I have a question, how long do I rest between sets?
    I am currently resting 1-2 minutes.
    There's no set time, you want to rest the shortest amount of time that doesn't negatively impact the next set.
    It sounds like your intensity is low, so 30-60 seconds should be enough.
    You should probably not fully catch your breath through an entire workout, you should always be just a little winded.