What is behind the spread of a mysterious allergy to meat?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    Thank goodness many women aren't willing to be fuckdolls - or thought of as such - in exchange for expensive jewelry, trips and other monetary gains.  Sounds fucked up on both sides.

And guys, I know you're good people, but those last two comments about "she better put out" rubbed me the wrong way.

(not that it really matters anyway)
    it was honestly just a joke. I don't think of any woman that way in reality, hedo. the point I was trying to make is that she expects him to "put out". 
    yeah, my point as well when I agreed.  But I can see what ya mean Hedo.  Thank goodness most guys aren't willing to pay for everything and buy expensive gifts in exchange for sex.....ummmm......hmmmmm....are they?  
    Well, there are plenty of willing sugar daddies out there, and plenty of willing sugar babies. I'm not sure "most" would be the correct term. But surely a big majority.... because the big majority of men don't have enough money for this kind of shit anyhow, lol. ;)
    I simply could not imagine being with someone who only wants to be with me for my money. or any other superficial reason. 
    I know, it's messed up. That's why it always shocks me that so many people seem okay with it. I think it's safe to say that these are the people we should all avoid at any cost, in any context.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    Thank goodness many women aren't willing to be fuckdolls - or thought of as such - in exchange for expensive jewelry, trips and other monetary gains.  Sounds fucked up on both sides.

And guys, I know you're good people, but those last two comments about "she better put out" rubbed me the wrong way.

it was honestly just a joke. I don't think of any woman that way in reality, hedo. the point I was trying to make is that she expects him to "put out". 
    yeah, my point as well when I agreed.  But I can see what ya mean Hedo.  Thank goodness most guys aren't willing to pay for everything and buy expensive gifts in exchange for sex.....ummmm......hmmmmm....are they?  
    Well, there are plenty of willing sugar daddies out there, and plenty of willing sugar babies. I'm not sure "most" would be the correct term. But surely a big majority.... because the big majority of men don't have enough money for this kind of shit anyhow, lol. ;)
    I simply could not imagine being with someone who only wants to be with me for my money. or any other superficial reason. 
    I know, it's messed up. That's why it always shocks me that so many people seem okay with it. I think it's safe to say that these are the people we should all avoid at any cost, in any context.
    Orrrrrr, let them become first lady to an orange flubbery bumble doofus. #BeBest #Orangetoiletturdsforever
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    People who think and have a heart, don't need an allergy to not eat meat.
    take it somewhere else, veggie. 
    I had an HS teacher who named his cat veggie 5, we assumed there were 4 other veggies at one time...he was a hoot.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:

a guy I used to hang out with a lot was like that. and the women he attracted were too. we'd go to clubs (which I hated), he'd be dressed to the nines, i was dressed to the fives at best, so all the women hanging on him getting him to buy them drinks paid me zero attention (and honestly, besides being hot, I had no interest in them either-give me a girl in jeans and a baseball cap holding a beer all day long over a short skirt and a martini). they knew what was up. My buddy was paying me in drinks to be his sidekick. he would drive 30 minutes to pick me up in his jaguar to drive back to his area of town to whatever bar and then drive me home again. it was absurd. he'd beg me to go and eventually i would agree if I had nothing else to do. 

he was Mr Roarke and I was Tattoo. But whatever. I used to ask him why he wanted to hang out with brainless dolts that just like him for his clothes and his car all the time instead of having an actual relationship, and his response was just "because it's fun!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:

a guy I used to hang out with a lot was like that. and the women he attracted were too. we'd go to clubs (which I hated), he'd be dressed to the nines, i was dressed to the fives at best, so all the women hanging on him getting him to buy them drinks paid me zero attention (and honestly, besides being hot, I had no interest in them either-give me a girl in jeans and a baseball cap holding a beer all day long over a short skirt and a martini). they knew what was up. My buddy was paying me in drinks to be his sidekick. he would drive 30 minutes to pick me up in his jaguar to drive back to his area of town to whatever bar and then drive me home again. it was absurd. he'd beg me to go and eventually i would agree if I had nothing else to do. 

he was Mr Roarke and I was Tattoo. But whatever. I used to ask him why he wanted to hang out with brainless dolts that just like him for his clothes and his car all the time instead of having an actual relationship, and his response was just "because it's fun!". 
    I was friends with a guy like this too (every photo he posts on FB is of him in a suit, with his arms around two or more hot chicks in tight dresses at some fancy club), and I kind of tolerated that crap because he could be fun to hang out with, and he wasn't doing that stuff in front of me usually. But then, surprise surprise, he became a fucking avid Trump fan. He really went bananas with it. And he's Canadian too, which somehow makes it even worse. And his Trumpmania actually turned him crazy. So this new feature, on top of the rest of it, was the straw that broke my back. I couldn't take it all anymore. I eventually had to block him on Facebook. I do still have to see him at rare group events though (he's best friends with my best friend's brother); I am cordial but keep my distance as much as possible while not causing tension as far as possible - occasionally he does shit I have to call him out on because it's just fucking scummy or inappropriate in the moment; he drinks and is a coke head (like, the Wall Street brand of coke head), so, you know... he can start behaving badly sometimes, lol. Also, I suspect he's really really deep in the closet, which makes it all much more odd, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2018
    People who think and have a heart, don't need an allergy to not eat meat.
    You know, I’m curious how many animals get plowed up (lizards, mice, bunnies, etc) by those vegetable crops that you get your produce from.
    I have a heart and eat meat as well.  I do, however, have a healthy respect for where that meat comes from and how it ends up on my plate. 
    Vegetable wise, I actually grow most of my own in my garden...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Those little ticks that cause meat allergies do scare the crap out of me (all ticks really due to Lyme disease and such).  I’ve had a tick on me a couple times after being out in the woods hunting, but was lucky it was never a “bad” one.
    I've never even seen a tick as far as I know......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I had Lyme s disease last summer.  It sucked bad.  Took antibiotics for six weeks and thankfully it went away. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    I had Lyme s disease last summer.  It sucked bad.  Took antibiotics for six weeks and thankfully it went away. 
    Yikes!  I hear it is pretty miserable?  Glad you recovered!
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah my joints ached bad and I had zero energy.  I wasn't depressed but I had no motivation to do anything (if that makes any sense).  Luckily I caught it right away.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah my joints ached bad and I had zero energy.  I wasn't depressed but I had no motivation to do anything (if that makes any sense).  Luckily I caught it right away.
    So did you actually see the tick or just the bullseye rash or what?
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yup I pulled the deer tick out myself. Bullseye appeared 2-3 days later and then I was on antibiotics. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    If you hike in the woods, you should do a tick check.  Also, research the proper way to remove a tick.  That is important.  I had 2 tick on me and 3 on my dog this past summer...already feeding on us...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hope you are OK and Lyme disease free.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yup I pulled the deer tick out myself. Bullseye appeared 2-3 days later and then I was on antibiotics. 
    Damn, those damn deer ticks are always a fear of mine when hunting in brushy area.  Again, glad you recovered dude!
    PJ_Soul said:
    If you hike in the woods, you should do a tick check.  Also, research the proper way to remove a tick.  That is important.  I had 2 tick on me and 3 on my dog this past summer...already feeding on us...
    Wouldn't you know if you were bitten by a tick, or had one burrowing into you???
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wouldn't you know if you were bitten by a tick, or had one burrowing into you???
    I’ve only ever had a slight itch when I’ve had one on me.  Went to scratch and then could feel what felt like a pimple or scab (one was behind my ear).  They are sneaky little bastards and are hard to actually kill.  And  yes, you must be careful in how you pull them off in order to avoid detaching the head (if you just pull them off their head can stay attached to your skin).
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Nope, they are so small you don't know they are there.  Luckily I was scratching my leg and stumbled upon it.  Two summers ago I was rubbing my wife's leg and ound a deer tick in her.  She tested negative for lymes.  My mother in law wasn't so lucky.  She had no clue she had a deer tick on her and had lyme's disease for close to 3 years.  The earlier you find it the better.  
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Damn, those damn deer ticks are always a fear of mine when hunting in brushy area.  Again, glad you recovered dude!
    Thanks man.  Every time we would go hunting I would take close to 50 ticks off my brittany.  Ticks are such disgusting creatures.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Nope, they are so small you don't know they are there.  Luckily I was scratching my leg and stumbled upon it.  Two summers ago I was rubbing my wife's leg and ound a deer tick in her.  She tested negative for lymes.  My mother in law wasn't so lucky.  She had no clue she had a deer tick on her and had lyme's disease for close to 3 years.  The earlier you find it the better.  
    Wow. Well I guess I've been lucky. Not anymore, but I used to be a pretty avid camper, all over the place. Never had any tick issues.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow. Well I guess I've been lucky. Not anymore, but I used to be a pretty avid camper, all over the place. Never had any tick issues.
    Every summer they seem to get worse and worse.  I now put down tick/bug killer on my lawn twice a year.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, you do not feel them burrowing in you.  It is always best to remove them before they start to burrow. I am very cautious about ticks.  In Ontario, we still use an outdated test for Lyme disease that sometimes comes back that you do not have Lyme disease, so some people who are convinced they have Lyme disease pay to get the better test in the US and it usually comes back as Lyme disease.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, you do not feel them burrowing in you.  It is always best to remove them before they start to burrow. I am very cautious about ticks.  In Ontario, we still use an outdated test for Lyme disease that sometimes comes back that you do not have Lyme disease, so some people who are convinced they have Lyme disease pay to get the better test in the US and it usually comes back as Lyme disease.
    Nobody ever really seems to talk about them here. The only reason I know anything about them is because of national news stories about it ... Maybe they aren't such a problem in my region? I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone at all who has been bitten by a tick.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks man.  Every time we would go hunting I would take close to 50 ticks off my brittany.  Ticks are such disgusting creatures.  
    Some people have unusual names for their private parts.... 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. Good one!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I'm not a strict vegetarian but I rarely eat meat other than poultry (and even that sparingly).  I might eat a little beef a few times a year because if I'm invited to eat at someone's house and that's what they are serving, I'll have a small portion and be grateful.  It's not than I'm afraid of catching some horrid disease (that can happen to vegetarians or vegans for that matter) but it's common knowledge that people who eat a lot of beef and pork, are more prone to illness.  This is especially true because of the way these animals are raised, the kind of feed and hormones and drugs they are given, and the way they are "processed".

My guess is  this tick/beef/pork situation is yet more proof of how weak and vulnerable we humans have become.  This is Mother Nature doing her job, the job of shaking us off, ridding the greatest pest on the planet.  The more we alienate our selves from her laws of nature, the more vulnerable and weak we become.  The more we fool ourselves into thinking we can be exceptions to nature's laws, the closer we come to sealing our fate.  We are a very strange species that way.  Me, you, all of us.  I only know one person, a woman I met recently, who I think might actually live in near total harmony* with natural in a natural and balanced way.   She's quite amazing. 

*by "in harmony" I mean more pragmatically, logistically, and practically, than the new age/metaphysical form of "in harmony".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I'm not a strict vegetarian but I rarely eat meat other than poultry (and even that sparingly).  I might eat a little beef a few times a year because if I'm invited to eat at someone's house and that's what they are serving, I'll have a small portion and be grateful.  It's not than I'm afraid of catching some horrid disease (that can happen to vegetarians or vegans for that matter) but it's common knowledge that people who eat a lot of beef and pork, are more prone to illness.  This is especially true because of the way these animals are raised, the kind of feed and hormones and drugs they are given, and the way they are "processed".

My guess is  this tick/beef/pork situation is yet more proof of how weak and vulnerable we humans have become.  This is Mother Nature doing her job, the job of shaking us off, ridding the greatest pest on the planet.  The more we alienate our selves from her laws of nature, the more vulnerable and weak we become.  The more we fool ourselves into thinking we can be exceptions to nature's laws, the closer we come to sealing our fate.  We are a very strange species that way.  Me, you, all of us.  I only know one person, a woman I met recently, who I think might actually live in near total harmony* with natural in a natural and balanced way.   She's quite amazing. 

*by "in harmony" I mean more pragmatically, logistically, and practically, than the new age/metaphysical form of "in harmony".

Ironically, my family has always raised and eaten meat and many of my relatives have lived to be over 100.  Most seem to pass away in their 90s, but none that I can recall have died due to complications related to a beef eating diet (that I am aware of). We are all built a little differently.  I also had a great aunt that died at 102 and puffed a tobacco pipe every day all day, lol.  
    I do agree with your mention of how the cattle are raised and processed, though.  We never give our cattle hormones and they are all grass fed and usually corn finished.  Anyways, I’m not arguing with you as I have also read the studies regarding eating red meats, but I do always take them with a grain of salt and wonder what other lifestyle choices lead to the demise of those that suffer illnesses related to eating red meat (overindulgence, or lack of other foods in their diet for instance).
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Ironically, my family has always raised and eaten meat and many of my relatives have lived to be over 100.  Most seem to pass away in their 90s, but none that I can recall have died due to complications related to a beef eating diet (that I am aware of). We are all built a little differently.  I also had a great aunt that died at 102 and puffed a tobacco pipe every day all day, lol.  
    I do agree with your mention of how the cattle are raised and processed, though.  We never give our cattle hormones and they are all grass fed and usually corn finished.  Anyways, I’m not arguing with you as I have also read the studies regarding eating red meats, but I do always take them with a grain of salt and wonder what other lifestyle choices lead to the demise of those that suffer illnesses related to eating red meat (overindulgence, or lack of other foods in their diet for instance).
    Good genes make a difference!  You're absolutely right- we're all different.  A friend of mine knew jazz pianist Eubie Blake who lived to be 96.  She said he chain smoked non filtered cigarettes!

Good for you and your family for doing grass fed beef and no hormones.  Much healthier that way. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.