Listening to all my records

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited October 2018

I just finished listening to the last of the 10  Larry Coryell albums I have in my collection.  Coryell was such an amazing guitarist and I'm so glad to have  gotten to see him perform  in three very different configurations- with a high powered jazz/rock fusion trio, in an acoustic trio performance with Laurindo Almeida and Sharon Isben that blended many styles, and in a straight up jazz trio with Ray Brown and Art Blakely. 

So anyway, through all his many various albums, Coryell covered a world of guitar territory.  So many great stand outs there, including this amazing number Larry composed for his album, Bolero

"6th Watch Hill Road"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    This is such a cool idea and so interesting to read about your journey through your collection brian. And also interesting to read about others doing the same. I wish that I had taken better care of my albums. A good many of those I acquired in my teens and early 20's are scratched to shit. 

My mom has a well kept collection of 45's and 78's that are Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, etc. 

Just find this thread so interesting. I'll continue to read about your experiences. 
    njnancy said:
    This is such a cool idea and so interesting to read about your journey through your collection brian. And also interesting to read about others doing the same. I wish that I had taken better care of my albums. A good many of those I acquired in my teens and early 20's are scratched to shit. 

My mom has a well kept collection of 45's and 78's that are Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, etc. 

Just find this thread so interesting. I'll continue to read about your experiences. 
    I'm glad you're enjoying it, Nancy.  :smile:

My wife has several records that she's had for a long time and are really beat up and she knows how finicky I am about my stereo equipment (partly due to my nature, but also very much having to do with wanting the components to last as long as possible).  So I went on eBay and bought an old all-in-one school record player for the beaters.  It's a lot of fun actually because we can throw them on, not worry about condition too much, and just let them play.  There's even something nostalgic about that "scratchy old record" sound.  Lots of fun!

I'm a good ways into the rock section C's right now with Cream's Wheels of Fire up next.  Getting closer to my Dinosaur Jr and J Mascis and Lou Barlow related stuff (all filed together) and that will be a blast... and will take a while.  28 records, two of which are double LP's.  I hope my wife isn't sick of them by the time they've all played, lol!

Oh, and the double vinyl re-issue of Dinosaur's Ear Bleeding Country due to arrive any day now too!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Listening to Neil Diamond's great Classics; The early Years this evening.  I'm once more reminded of what a great song writer Diamond is, penning such classics as "I'm a Believer" and "Red, Red Wine".  Fantastic!

So tonight, nearing the end of the "D's", it was this monstrous album.  Two LP's, 4 sides, one looooong jam.  Filed under "D" because J is in it and we all know what J is all about, right? 

Even at reasonable volume, my ears are now ringing more than normal.  Three or four minutes of uninterrupted feedback at the end will do that.   :-) 

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:
    So tonight, nearing the end of the "D's", it was this monstrous album.  Two LP's, 4 sides, one looooong jam.  Filed under "D" because J is in it and we all know what J is all about, right? 

Even at reasonable volume, my ears are now ringing more than normal.  Three or four minutes of uninterrupted feedback at the end will do that.   :-) 

That is a beast of a record!
    Did Ear Bleeding Country arrive in time for the ‘D’s?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

That is a beast of a record!
    Did Ear Bleeding Country arrive in time for the ‘D’s?
    Yes, at the exact right time!  It was weird because it show up like it was right on the beat! 

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Ear Bleeding Country is a great compilation but you can't beat the original records. My favourite one of theirs has to be Where You Been, though.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Ear Bleeding Country is a great compilation but you can't beat the original records. My favourite one of theirs has to be Where You Been, though.
    Where You Been was my break through album for Dinosaur Jr.  I had read about them in Michael Azerrad's excellent book, Our Band Could Be Your Life.  I love most of the band Azerrad wrote about in that book but hadn't been familiar with Dinosaur Jr so I check them out.  Att the time, what I heard of them sampling on YouTube didn't work for me.  But then when I noticed Henry Rollins raving about them in some of his books so I figured maybe I had overlooked something.  So I picked up a CD copy of Where You Been and noticed right off that it was really something different.  At first, I didn't care for J's voice at all but after three or four listenings, it began to grow on me (and now I love it!).  Not long after that, I became a full-blown Dinosaur Jr. fanatic!

You are making progress! I like your commitment! 

I don't know the last band you listened to but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :smile:
    njnancy said:
    You are making progress! I like your commitment! 

I don't know the last band you listened to but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :smile:
    Here's a cool little introduction to Dinosaur Jr:

edited December 2018
    Or if you meant Earthless, a little something along the same lines (most of their stuff is long jams and Heavy Blanket is basically just J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr):

Post edited by brianlux on

I like jam bands very much. I will listen to both - thank you for posting the videos. I have a migraine so I'll wait till it's gone so I can enjoy with my headphones. :smile:
    njnancy said:
    I like jam bands very much. I will listen to both - thank you for posting the videos. I have a migraine so I'll wait till it's gone so I can enjoy with my headphones. :smile:
    Oh bummer, I'm sorry to hear that!  Migraines are awful!  I hope you feel better soon!

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    Oh bummer, I'm sorry to hear that!  Migraines are awful!  I hope you feel better soon!
    Yeah, they suck. It's my third day - waking up and still having it is draining. But it will end eventually and I will listen to those songs. And I'll let you know what I think. 
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    Yeah, they suck. It's my third day - waking up and still having it is draining. But it will end eventually and I will listen to those songs. And I'll let you know what I think. 
    Sounds good.  Yeah, love to hear what you think.  I'm more a Dinosaur fan than I am Earthless, but they are good too.

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    Sounds good.  Yeah, love to hear what you think.  I'm more a Dinosaur fan than I am Earthless, but they are good too.
    I have discovered a lot of music that I had never heard of before on this forum.  I see that Dinosaur Jr has its own thread so I am sure there are a bunch of fans. 

I woke up with a migraine again today but I think that it is finally ready to leave so tomorrow looks like a 'discover new music day'. :smile:
    edited December 2018
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    I have discovered a lot of music that I had never heard of before on this forum.  I see that Dinosaur Jr has its own thread so I am sure there are a bunch of fans. 

I woke up with a migraine again today but I think that it is finally ready to leave so tomorrow looks like a 'discover new music day'. :smile:
    I love discovering new music, especially stuff that grows on me.  Cool to hear you're open to doing the same!

I hope that migraine is vamoose! They are worst when they linger.  Last year, I had one that went a solid 48 hours.  All I could do was lie in a darkened room and moan.  Do any  of the meds help you?  Any other therapies that help?

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

I love discovering new music, especially stuff that grows on me.  Cool to hear you're open to doing the same!

I hope that migraine is vamoose! They are worst when they linger.  Last year, I had one that went a solid 48 hours.  All I could do was lie in a darkened room and moan.  Do any  of the meds help you?  Any other therapies that help?
    I have them for days - this one lasted for 4 days. It is a horrible feeling to wake up with the same migraine you had last night. 

I can't take most prescription medication because they all can cause serotonin syndrome if taken with SSRI's (anti-depressants). Since I take SSRI's and I'm not going off of them, I'm left with pain medication which doesn't really help because once a migraine begins, it's already too late. I hate them. I started having them after I had my son. I almost died in childbirth and I don't know if that is what kicked it off, but they have been with me for 21 years. 

Botox shots I have not tried - for migraines or aesthetics. I know that I get them when the pressure drops, so I know when snow or rain is coming before the weather forecasters do. I also get them if I eat sweet stuff - so I stick to some dark chocolate now and then and I don't drink soda (probably explains why my hangovers used to be so bad). My head feels like it's going to crack, I can't think well, light and sound bother me and I get very nauseous. I don't get the auras that some people do, which I guess is good - I don't see how they could make them any worse. There really is nothing I can do but lay with an ice pack and try to sleep. When my son was younger - I did everything with migraines - drove, shopped, attended meetings - it was awful. Now I don't have to be his advocate 100% of the time. 

The best remedy for migraines is the CBD in cannabis. I am sober so I don't use anything, but I have thought about getting a medical marijuana Rx for a high CBD/low THC strain. Pot is also suggested for PTSD, so that would kill 2 birds - but I can't use it to get high, so again, I'd have to find the right doctor to give me the right Rx.

I've done the acupuncture, rubbing between my thumb and forefinger, chiropractic, physiatrist - none help my migraines. The last two and massage help my back, but that's a whole other thing.

Anyway - today is my 'recovery day' - the first day after several days of a migraine I feel like I've been hit by a truck and I don't want to do anything that might make my head hurt. I listened to music today, but nothing new - one of my playlists that is soothing. 

Thanks for asking - I'll let you know when I listen to your stuff. :smile:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

I have them for days - this one lasted for 4 days. It is a horrible feeling to wake up with the same migraine you had last night. 

I can't take most prescription medication because they all can cause serotonin syndrome if taken with SSRI's (anti-depressants). Since I take SSRI's and I'm not going off of them, I'm left with pain medication which doesn't really help because once a migraine begins, it's already too late. I hate them. I started having them after I had my son. I almost died in childbirth and I don't know if that is what kicked it off, but they have been with me for 21 years. 

Botox shots I have not tried - for migraines or aesthetics. I know that I get them when the pressure drops, so I know when snow or rain is coming before the weather forecasters do. I also get them if I eat sweet stuff - so I stick to some dark chocolate now and then and I don't drink soda (probably explains why my hangovers used to be so bad). My head feels like it's going to crack, I can't think well, light and sound bother me and I get very nauseous. I don't get the auras that some people do, which I guess is good - I don't see how they could make them any worse. There really is nothing I can do but lay with an ice pack and try to sleep. When my son was younger - I did everything with migraines - drove, shopped, attended meetings - it was awful. Now I don't have to be his advocate 100% of the time. 

The best remedy for migraines is the CBD in cannabis. I am sober so I don't use anything, but I have thought about getting a medical marijuana Rx for a high CBD/low THC strain. Pot is also suggested for PTSD, so that would kill 2 birds - but I can't use it to get high, so again, I'd have to find the right doctor to give me the right Rx.

I've done the acupuncture, rubbing between my thumb and forefinger, chiropractic, physiatrist - none help my migraines. The last two and massage help my back, but that's a whole other thing.

Anyway - today is my 'recovery day' - the first day after several days of a migraine I feel like I've been hit by a truck and I don't want to do anything that might make my head hurt. I listened to music today, but nothing new - one of my playlists that is soothing. 

I'm sorry to hear you struggle so with migraines.  They are a tough condition to alleviate because there are so many triggers and those of us who get them have to go through this whole long process of trying to pin it down.  That is frustrating. 

A few years ago, after trying so many other avenues, I decided to go with the Botox treatments figuring at that point it couldn't hurt.  I've had pretty good luck with them.  I get the injections every three or four months and the migraines have been less frequent since then.  I still do things like very much limit drinking alcohol, avoid eating nuts, and try to reduce stress.

I do use a little CDB and I suppose that might help some but I'm not sure.  I don't think it could hurt for you to try.  In any case, I hope you find something that helps.

So tonight's record (still working through the D's) is Donovan's Barabajagal, one of my favorites of his!

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

I'm sorry to hear you struggle so with migraines.  They are a tough condition to alleviate because there are so many triggers and those of us who get them have to go through this whole long process of trying to pin it down.  That is frustrating. 

A few years ago, after trying so many other avenues, I decided to go with the Botox treatments figuring at that point it couldn't hurt.  I've had pretty good luck with them.  I get the injections every three or four months and the migraines have been less frequent since then.  I still do things like very much limit drinking alcohol, avoid eating nuts, and try to reduce stress.

I do use a little CDB and I suppose that might help some but I'm not sure.  I don't think it could hurt for you to try.  In any case, I hope you find something that helps.

So tonight's record (still working through the D's) is Donovan's Barabajagal, one of my favorites of his!
    Who do you get the Botox shots from? Your primary care doctor?

And enjoy Donovan - I like him. 
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

No, I had to get a referral to see a neurologist who does the shots.  It seems like a weird thing to do but it seems to work!

Next record up, an obscure one:  Minentia 13, Mirror Mind...  which I just happen to notice is out of alpha order.   My OCD self will correct that immediately!  :lol:

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

No, I had to get a referral to see a neurologist who does the shots.  It seems like a weird thing to do but it seems to work!

Next record up, an obscure one:  Minentia 13, Mirror Mind...  which I just happen to notice is out of alpha order.   My OCD self will correct that immediately!  :lol:
    M's in the D's!!?? Quickly!! :lol:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Ha!  Not only is it in the wrong place alphabetically, but I spelled it wrong.  The band is Dimentia 13!

Sheesh, this is what I get when I stay up late.  :lol:

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Ha!  Not only is it in the wrong place alphabetically, but I spelled it wrong.  The band is Dimentia 13!

That's like when places alphabetize novels by the author's first name instead of their last name. Makes me crazy!!  

Still haven't listened to those two clips you posted - headache gone finally but RL got f'ed up so I am aiming to listen tonight. Very curious about what they sound like. 

Enjoy dementia, I mean Dimenita!! :lol:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

That's like when places alphabetize novels by the author's first name instead of their last name. Makes me crazy!!  

Still haven't listened to those two clips you posted - headache gone finally but RL got f'ed up so I am aiming to listen tonight. Very curious about what they sound like. 

Right!  Always file by last name, well done!

Or filing a record called 21 All-Time Golden Hits under "T" for "Twenty".  Wrongo!  I always file by number first, starting lowest to highest, then go on to the alphabet, a-z.

And what about McAndrews or MacDonald?  I go by the letter and don't mix the "Mc..." names with the "Mac..." names.  

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Or filing a record called 21 All-Time Golden Hits under "T" for "Twenty".  Wrongo!  I always file by number first, starting lowest to highest, then go on to the alphabet, a-z.

And what about McAndrews or MacDonald?  I go by the letter and don't mix the "Mc..." names with the "Mac..." names.  
    NO! Never mix Mc and Mac - Scottish and Irish don't mix well. 
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

NO! Never mix Mc and Mac - Scottish and Irish don't mix well. 
    LOL!

So what record/artist are you currently enjoying??

I have found so many new bands on here and on Spotify - Dinosaur Jr. appeared on a playlist they made for me - still gotta listen to them. 

I'm curious how you are doing with your endeavor though. :smile:
    edited January 2019
    njnancy said:
    So what record/artist are you currently enjoying??

I have found so many new bands on here and on Spotify - Dinosaur Jr. appeared on a playlist they made for me - still gotta listen to them. 

I'm curious how you are doing with your endeavor though. :smile:
    I've kind of stalled out in the "D's" at The Doors.  I love their stuff but have to be in the right mood for it.  Doors music is very dark for because despite the fact that he was a great singer, Jim Morrison is a very disturbing figure for me.  The other reason for this temporary hold up is that I've been listening to some new stuff I've gotten recently including a great re-issue of The Who's Tommy, a couple of Juliana Hatfield records and a batch of singles I picked up.  I might just have to get on with The Doors stuff today!