SpaceX and all the good space stuff

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I still fail to see an actual "accusation."  It was name-calling, and poor at that.
    I expect better from people in his position...

Do you subscribe to the NASA channel?  
    I would agree.  And if I were Unsworth, I'd probably sue him too.  I could use a nice out-of-court settlement from a billionaire in a defamation suit.
    I follow NASA & various offshoots on Youtube, instagram, & twitter.
    You think Musk would just pay the guy off.  But, his lawyers are probably advising against it. Years ago I had the NASA channel, it wasn't very good at the time.  I think when the US starts putting humans in space again that will be a good thing.  The US should not be relying on Russia.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm sure they are.  Billionaires don't become billionaires by being generous.
    And I think as long as we have a bunch of stuck-in-1955 dotards in charge, our funding for space exploration (and science in general) will fall short to be a world leader on the subject.  We're too concerned with world domination to care.
    I'm sure they are.  Billionaires don't become billionaires by being generous.
    And I think as long as we have a bunch of stuck-in-1955 dotards in charge, our funding for space exploration (and science in general) will fall short to be a world leader on the subject.  We're too concerned with world domination to care.
    Good points.  I am still amazed that the US has not been back to the moon.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2018
    Is this a thread about space.  Would probably be more going on in this thread if we were discussing space instead of some fraud...
    It's not possible to discuss SpaceX without talking about Elon Musk, as he is in charge of SpaceX. You've made your opinion about him clear.
    Just FYI, this is not a politics thread, and I put it in the AET instead of the AMT on purpose, to avoid this kind of discussion here, since it will so easily derail what I'm trying to achieve here. If you want to talk about the politics of all this in great detail, I respectfully ask that you start your own thread in the AMT. Thanks!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is this a thread about space.  Would probably be more going on in this thread if we were discussing space instead of some fraud...
    It's not possible to discuss SpaceX without talking about Elon Musk, as he is in charge of SpaceX. You've made your opinion about him clear.
    Just FYI, this is not a politics thread, and I put it in the AET instead of the AMT on purpose, to avoid this kind of discussion here, since it will so easily derail what I'm trying to achieve here. If you want to talk about the politics of all this in great detail, I respectfully ask that you start your own thread in the AMT. Thanks!
    And if you bothered to notice we put the thread back on track ... so settle down.  You are the one who wants to talk about space.  So why are you not talking space?  You act like this is the first thread that has gone off topic ... which it hasn't ...  if musk is part of the topic then his personal behaviour is open for discussion.  So talk space.  But you need to get better informed on this topic...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    And if you bothered to notice we put the thread back on track ... so settle down.  You are the one who wants to talk about space.  So why are you not talking space?  You act like this is the first thread that has gone off topic ... which it hasn't ...  if musk is part of the topic then his personal behaviour is open for discussion.  So talk space.  But you need to get better informed on this topic...
    Sigh. I guess I'll delete that comment, lol. I'm not too sure how Kat and Sea would take it.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    OK, I have to apologize for being pissed at not being able to say bad things about space exploration here.   Beside, most here already know I think the money could be spent better elsewhere.  HOWEVER, it's gonna happen anyway and as a taxpayer, some little portion of it is on my dime.  So, all ya'all, since it's going to go on  (or up, up and away) anyway, tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    OK, I have to apologize for being pissed at not being able to say bad things about space exploration here.   Beside, most here already know I think the money could be spent better elsewhere.  HOWEVER, it's gonna happen anyway and as a taxpayer, some little portion of it is on my dime.  So, all ya'all, since it's going to go on  (or up, up and away) anyway, tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense.
    Why don't you just start your own thread in the AMT about all the bad stuff Brian and how and where and why the money could be better spent Brian? I actually have a ton to say about why I shouldn't be spent elsewhere, and why it's important to keep funding space projects, but I don't even want to really get into that in this thread either. It really is a discussion better suited to an AMT thread. Especially with the Space Force talk of late, lol, which I also have a lot to say about.

Anyway, I'm not a mod - I can't actually stop people from ruining my thread for me, lol. Apparently a few people want to take issue with my request to make this a positive thread. If this continues on, I'll just request that they close the thread and I'll find another platform to space fangirl on I guess.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Why don't you just start your own thread in the AMT about all the bad stuff Brian and how and where and why the money could be better spent Brian? I actually have a ton to say about why I shouldn't be spent elsewhere, and why it's important to keep funding space projects, but I don't even want to really get into that in this thread either. It really is a discussion better suited to an AMT thread. Especially with the Space Force talk of late, lol, which I also have a lot to say about.

Anyway, I'm not a mod - I can't actually stop people from ruining my thread for me, lol. Apparently a few people want to take issue with my request to make this a positive thread. If this continues on, I'll just request that they close the thread and I'll find another platform to space fangirl on I guess.
    WTF, Allison?  I apologize, actually engage in what you're going for here and get my ass chewed?  OK fine, I'm done here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I just read that Netflix has a documentary on these 

The Farthest: Voyageurs in Space.

Will check out.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I’ll have to check that out. The Voyager missions fascinate me. I was just under 4 months old when they launched. That gives you an idea of how big our solar system by itself is, let alone the galaxy, or universe. It took my entire life for V2 to enter into interstellar space. ~11 billion miles, over 41 years of flight. It blows my mind to think that just 100 years ago, most thought the Milky Way was it. To expand as much as we know now in less than a century, take a third to almost a half of that time to put two crafts far enough into space to no longer be influenced by solar winds, and still not even come close to reaching anything of real distance on a universe scale - hell, even a galactic scale - it’s just mind blowing how insignificant we are.
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

WTF, Allison?  I apologize, actually engage in what you're going for here and get my ass chewed?  OK fine, I'm done here.
    I think you misread my post or something @brianlux . Your ass wasn't chewed, lol. I was legitimately suggesting that you start an AMT thread. And I wasn't talking about you re asking the mods to possibly close the thread.
    edited December 2018
    I’ll have to check that out. The Voyager missions fascinate me. I was just under 4 months old when they launched. That gives you an idea of how big our solar system by itself is, let alone the galaxy, or universe. It took my entire life for V2 to enter into interstellar space. ~11 billion miles, over 41 years of flight. It blows my mind to think that just 100 years ago, most thought the Milky Way was it. To expand as much as we know now in less than a century, take a third to almost a half of that time to put two crafts far enough into space to no longer be influenced by solar winds, and still not even come close to reaching anything of real distance on a universe scale - hell, even a galactic scale - it’s just mind blowing how insignificant we are.
    Absolutely - it's literally mind boggling for me.... And scary AF. I'm so fascinated with it all, and at the same time somewhat terrified. I mean, right now some asteroid could be having its trajectory changed as it passes some distant planet, putting Earth directly in its path. :lol: (but really, I'm legit concerned about a devastating asteroid. I don't want to go out that way at all. Or, worse, survive it and witness the aftermath. This is why I am SO pleased that NASA is actually researching ways to stop an asteroid like this before it can hit - I hope they hurry up about it!).
    But yeah, the size... It makes me think about how a lot of people kind of seem to think there is an edge to the universe... And if the universe is constantly expanding, then would that mean that edge is moving outwards? Seems weird. I personally have an easier time thinking of space as being a literal infinity in size and mass than I do imagining it having some kind of outer limit. And if it's infinity big, well, imagine what could be out there. It's crazy. Or, if it's not infinity big, WTF is outside of it? How can something exist in nothing? It's really bothers me that I'll never actually know the nature of the universe or whatever else there might be outside of it. Frustrating, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Absolutely - it's literally mind boggling for me.... And scary AF. I'm so fascinated with it all, and at the same time somewhat terrified. I mean, right now some asteroid could be having its trajectory changed as it passes some distant planet, putting Earth directly in its path. :lol: (but really, I'm legit concerned about a devastating asteroid. I don't want to go out that way at all. Or, worse, survive it and witness the aftermath. This is why I am SO pleased that NASA is actually researching ways to stop an asteroid like this before it can hit - I hope they hurry up about it!).
    But yeah, the size... It makes me think about how a lot of people kind of seem to think there is an edge to the universe... And if the universe is constantly expanding, then would that mean that edge is moving outwards? Seems weird. I personally have an easier time thinking of space as being a literal infinity in size and mass than I do imagining it having some kind of outer limit. And if it's infinity big, well, imagine what could be out there. It's crazy. Or, if it's not infinity big, WTF is outside of it? How can something exist in nothing? It's really bothers me that I'll never actually know the nature of the universe or whatever else there might be outside of it. Frustrating, lol.
    I was reading some articles last night on the Voyager missions and passing through the heliopause and how that still isn't even remotely close to being out of the solar system. Scientists estimate that it could take another 300 years before the probes even reach the inner limits of the Oort Cloud, and 300,000 years to reach the outer limits and thus be outside of the solar system.
    That is something.  Yes, we are just a speck in the grand scheme of things.  It also should make one realize that if there are aliens out there, and have visited earth, they must be light years ahead of technologically ... so much so, they probably know not to return.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Lunar Orbital Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Orbital_Station

Hope this OK to post.  I read about this a few years back.  Seemed interesting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was reading some articles last night on the Voyager missions and passing through the heliopause and how that still isn't even remotely close to being out of the solar system. Scientists estimate that it could take another 300 years before the probes even reach the inner limits of the Oort Cloud, and 300,000 years to reach the outer limits and thus be outside of the solar system.

What's Next for NASA's Voyager 2 in Interstellar Space?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I think you misread my post or something @brianlux . Your ass wasn't chewed, lol. I was legitimately suggesting that you start an AMT thread. And I wasn't talking about you re asking the mods to possibly close the thread.
    I think you misread his, PJ. He asked the question "tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense" but it seems you focused on his preamble, which was part of his apology of where he was coming from originally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I think you misread his, PJ. He asked the question "tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense" but it seems you focused on his preamble, which was part of his apology of where he was coming from originally. 
    I didn't misread his. This entire thread is intended to answer that very question, over time.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    ""Then there was our first sunrise on orbit, and that was quite an emotional moment. As I looked out the window and this little blue crescent started to get brighter and brighter, I realized, wow this is actually the curve of the Earth. That first sight, that first sunrise, I will never forget.""

The flat earthers need to hear about this! :lol:

I always feel really kind of jealous of astronauts, lol. Although slightly less now, knowing that it might make me feel really congested. Ugh. Nothing worse than sinus congestion!
    I will never personally undestand what flat earthers think the motivation would be for all our experts and NASA to lie about the shape of the earth. would it somehow bring power and riches back to the people if we all "found out"? would all diseases be cured? would all the evil and poverty in the world disappear? 

Just two days ago I was standing at the bus stop. A plane flew over head. I looked up a couple minutes later, and it, of course, looks like it's heading straight down towards earth, BECAUSE THE EARTH IS ROUND. if the earth was flat, it would look like it's going in a straight line away from me. How do these idiots explain simple shit like this away?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

The flat earthers will just just say it's computer generated.  These motherfuckers are dumber than Trump supporters. If you drew a Venn diagram of the two, you'd only need one circle.
    The flat earthers will just just say it's computer generated.  These motherfuckers are dumber than Trump supporters. If you drew a Venn diagram of the two, you'd only need one circle.
    I find great entertainment when Joe Rogan decides to go after a flat earther on social media and watch them all out themselves as the idiots they are. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The opening scene from Contact always gets me.

Think we're a speck?  We're even more miniscule than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwhQB3TKXA
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    hedonist said:
    The opening scene from Contact always gets me.

Think we're a speck?  We're even more miniscule than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwhQB3TKXA
    You’re right! We DREAM of being a speck.

A speck? Luxury! 

;) 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    ""Then there was our first sunrise on orbit, and that was quite an emotional moment. As I looked out the window and this little blue crescent started to get brighter and brighter, I realized, wow this is actually the curve of the Earth. That first sight, that first sunrise, I will never forget.""

The flat earthers need to hear about this! :lol:

I always feel really kind of jealous of astronauts, lol. Although slightly less now, knowing that it might make me feel really congested. Ugh. Nothing worse than sinus congestion!
    Off topic, I had a dentist a few years back who left Vancouver because of sinus congestion.  As far as cool careers, fighter pilot and Astronaut have to be near the top of most people's list.  It will take a mighty big effort for any Canadian to top Chris Hadfield time on the ISS...but great to see this Canadian aboard the ISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo
    Give Peas A Chance…