SpaceX and all the good space stuff

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The first-stage Falcon 9 rocket, which launched the Dragon Cargo, was meant to land on land after returning to Earth, but clearly something when wrong and it landed on water (see cool video of failed landing here: https://www.space.com/42648-spacex-failed-rocket-landing-attempt-video.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181206-sdc ).

As usual, Elon Musk was on Twitter discussing the whole thing... and it's Tweets like this, finishing his explanation of what went wrong by saying what they'll try next time, that make me admire him and what he does so much. I don't give a shit how weird he might act or anything like that (although I don't think he's very weird at all FWIW) - Musk is the kind of person we need doing these things (missteps and all). He is reactive, and so, so busy just 'going for it' - it seems like he's got something cool happening practically everyday, and he's learning something and re-thinking things after every single thing he does. And keeping the world informed about it constantly. I think it's great.

I never quite understood the "weird" claims either.  I guess that comes from not being a typical billionaire businessman in a suit doing typical billionaire businessman things, sitting back on a yacht while others do all the work for him.  He's involved first-hand, he's intelligent, informative, and takes ownership & responsibility.  I, too, am glad that we have someone like him who uses their wealth to try to advance our society instead of set us back out of fear of the unfamiliar.
    There’s more than just being a nonconformists. Musk also made those really inappropriate comments alleging that the cave diver in that Thai case was a “pedo”, then said it was “strange” that he didn’t sue Musk I’d he was really innocent. That’s the worst that I’m aware of but there’s more that’s pretty odd, and somewhat vindictive. 
    I thought the "pedo" comment was basically "justified". I mean, it was a really really bad choice of words and I don't think he should have used it, but I think Elon just had an angry emotional reaction to the fact that that guy was shitting on Musk's very sincere attempt to try and save those kids. He just made a mistake by using "pedo" as a strange random insult rather than "fuck face" or something like that, lol. I don't read anything more into that. I do think he needs to drop the term as a fucking insult obviously, because yeah, that's a bit odd. But if that's as weird as it gets, then he's not weird IMO, lol. I also don't think Musk is especially vindictive. I think he's just reacting to unwarranted criticism like a normal annoyed person, and I think his annoyance is warranted. I guess most people in his position would show a bit more restraint, and I'm sure he's aware that learning how to do that would be in his best interests, at least most of the time. I think he's just learning how to be super fucking famous, and trying to figure out how to be really open with the population about his work, which is important to him and us, and still somehow avoid slip ups and faux pas. It's very very difficult I think.
    No, I’m not buying that. I don’t believe that anyone accidentally calls someone a “pedo” as a general insult. He meant what he said, with no justification, and later on he doubled down on it and said it again. He responded like someone who typically gets adulation for his actions and was shocked that someone would call what he did unhelpful, which it was. Whether he made the offer out of a genuine attempt to help, or whether he made it for self-aggrandizement isn’t clear, but he certainly reacted pretty badly when he was called on it. 

I didn't say he accidentally used the word - that would be crazy. I'm saying that he has that word in his insult words repertoire, lol. Which he clearly should not. That plus tweeting it like that was the mistake (not accident). I would assume that he's removed it from his repertoire now, lol. What I am saying is that he didn't literally mean that he thought the guy is a pedophile.
    Anyway, I think he's handling a lot of bullshit directed at him better than the average person probably would. And I think he gets WAY more flack than he deserves, and that his reaction to it is closer to normal than it would be if he dealt with it better, lol. Most people would deal with it worse. Maybe sad, but probably true.
    As for why he tried to help the kids trapped in the cave... It certainly is cynical to assume he did it out of ego and not a desire to help. That's some of that bullshit I was talking about. He doesn't deserve people jumping to that conclusion IMO. I don't think there is any reason at all to assume it wasn't because he wanted to help (yes, with his impressive innovative stuff that he makes), and I'm very comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Because I'm not cynical about Elon Musk. He is good for this world IMO. I'm an unabashed fan (obviously), for a lot of what I think are great reasons.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The first-stage Falcon 9 rocket, which launched the Dragon Cargo, was meant to land on land after returning to Earth, but clearly something when wrong and it landed on water (see cool video of failed landing here: https://www.space.com/42648-spacex-failed-rocket-landing-attempt-video.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181206-sdc ).

As usual, Elon Musk was on Twitter discussing the whole thing... and it's Tweets like this, finishing his explanation of what went wrong by saying what they'll try next time, that make me admire him and what he does so much. I don't give a shit how weird he might act or anything like that (although I don't think he's very weird at all FWIW) - Musk is the kind of person we need doing these things (missteps and all). He is reactive, and so, so busy just 'going for it' - it seems like he's got something cool happening practically everyday, and he's learning something and re-thinking things after every single thing he does. And keeping the world informed about it constantly. I think it's great.

I never quite understood the "weird" claims either.  I guess that comes from not being a typical billionaire businessman in a suit doing typical billionaire businessman things, sitting back on a yacht while others do all the work for him.  He's involved first-hand, he's intelligent, informative, and takes ownership & responsibility.  I, too, am glad that we have someone like him who uses their wealth to try to advance our society instead of set us back out of fear of the unfamiliar.
    There’s more than just being a nonconformists. Musk also made those really inappropriate comments alleging that the cave diver in that Thai case was a “pedo”, then said it was “strange” that he didn’t sue Musk I’d he was really innocent. That’s the worst that I’m aware of but there’s more that’s pretty odd, and somewhat vindictive. 
    I thought the "pedo" comment was basically "justified". I mean, it was a really really bad choice of words and I don't think he should have used it, but I think Elon just had an angry emotional reaction to the fact that that guy was shitting on Musk's very sincere attempt to try and save those kids. He just made a mistake by using "pedo" as a strange random insult rather than "fuck face" or something like that, lol. I don't read anything more into that. I do think he needs to drop the term as a fucking insult obviously, because yeah, that's a bit odd. But if that's as weird as it gets, then he's not weird IMO, lol. I also don't think Musk is especially vindictive. I think he's just reacting to unwarranted criticism like a normal annoyed person, and I think his annoyance is warranted. I guess most people in his position would show a bit more restraint, and I'm sure he's aware that learning how to do that would be in his best interests, at least most of the time. I think he's just learning how to be super fucking famous, and trying to figure out how to be really open with the population about his work, which is important to him and us, and still somehow avoid slip ups and faux pas. It's very very difficult I think.
    No, I’m not buying that. I don’t believe that anyone accidentally calls someone a “pedo” as a general insult. He meant what he said, with no justification, and later on he doubled down on it and said it again. He responded like someone who typically gets adulation for his actions and was shocked that someone would call what he did unhelpful, which it was. Whether he made the offer out of a genuine attempt to help, or whether he made it for self-aggrandizement isn’t clear, but he certainly reacted pretty badly when he was called on it. 

I didn't say he accidentally used the word - that would be crazy. I'm saying that he has that word in his insult words repertoire, lol. Which he clearly should not. That plus tweeting it like that was the mistake (not accident). I would assume that he's removed it from his repertoire now, lol. What I am saying is that he didn't literally mean that he thought the guy is a pedophile.
    Anyway, I think he's handling a lot of bullshit directed at him better than the average person probably would. And I think he gets WAY more flack than he deserves, and that his reaction to it is closer to normal than it would be if he dealt with it better, lol. Most people would deal with it worse. Maybe sad, but probably true.
    As for why he tried to help the kids trapped in the cave... It certainly is cynical to assume he did it out of ego and not a desire to help. That's some of that bullshit I was talking about. He doesn't deserve people jumping to that conclusion IMO. I don't think there is any reason at all to assume it wasn't because he wanted to help (yes, with his impressive innovative stuff that he makes), and I'm very comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Because I'm not cynical about Elon Musk. He is good for this world IMO. I'm an unabashed fan (obviously), for a lot of what I think are great reasons.
    I’m cynical because, from what I understand, there was clearly no role for what he offered. 

And still very cynical on his use of “pedo” as just another insult. He knew what he was implying. I also don’t think he thought the guy was, but that makes the allegation even worse. That’s not an allegation to make lightly. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Sorry, 

I like the comma. It implies that there's a "but" there, without actually saying it ;)
    No but...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I’m cynical because, from what I understand, there was clearly no role for what he offered. 

And still very cynical on his use of “pedo” as just another insult. He knew what he was implying. I also don’t think he thought the guy was, but that makes the allegation even worse. That’s not an allegation to make lightly. 
    There ended up being no need for what he offered, but I think his intentions were good. I believe he thought it would be helpful.

Loke I said, the insult was dumb, but I really don't think he used it as an "allegation" at all. Jist a really really shitty way to basically say "you asshole jerk". Yes, it was a dumb fuck thing to tweet. That said, considering what he actually does, I'm more than willing to let it go in terms of how I view his work and how he goes about it. And I assume he learned a lesson from that nasty little incident.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Elon Musk is an Idiot...

Give Peas A Chance…
    SpaceX and Boeing competing to capture the American flag in space

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spacex-boeing-compete-space-race-capture-the-american-flag/

Both companies will operate competing space taxis for NASA, ending seven years of relying on Russia for rides to space.

This a great move.  The US should not be relying on other countries to get you to space...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    Chinese spacecraft launches for historic landing on far side of the moon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/china-moon-landing-1.4936395?cmp=FB_Post_News&fbclid=IwAR1DVI28v8yr8mJcnyJQbnLnRT-ZeIqKsJGyDsEsnmIY1Vyp_-UzcbFez7M

Maybe the Chinese will verify if America went there...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nobody wants to talk about space.  I have been googling and reading, I'm ready to discuss SPACE!  The one answer I can't find is, what happens after November 2019 if SpaceX and Boeing are not ready...it sounds like the Soyuz has no space for the Americans...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nobody wants to talk about space.  I have been googling and reading, I'm ready to discuss SPACE!  The one answer I can't find is, what happens after November 2019 if SpaceX and Boeing are not ready...it sounds like the Soyuz has no space for the Americans...
    I guess they wait for a while. 
    And.... you’re posting too fast. I’m too busy at work to read all this today!
    I read it could be a year behind schedule.  I hope NASA gets it solved.  I think its good that the US will be getting themselves to the ISS.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I read it could be a year behind schedule.  I hope NASA gets it solved.  I think its good that the US will be getting themselves to the ISS.
    Agreed! How awesome it would be to go there!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2018
    Sun Ra was into space.   He's gone now.  I believe he went back to Saturn from whence he came.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/china-moon-landing-1.4936395?cmp=FB_Post_News&fbclid=IwAR1DVI28v8yr8mJcnyJQbnLnRT-ZeIqKsJGyDsEsnmIY1Vyp_-UzcbFez7M

Interesting read. I have not been keeping up and had no idea that the Chinese space program was advancing that fast. I shouldn’t be surprised, of course. 

And clearly they’re not going to find an American presence when they land. They’re going to find Pink Floyd. 

Interesting read. I have not been keeping up and had no idea that the Chinese space program was advancing that fast. I shouldn’t be surprised, of course. 

And clearly they’re not going to find an American presence when they land. They’re going to find Pink Floyd. 
    At least they'll have good music.  They once were planning a manned moon mission, wonder why they never did?  It must be just way too much in today's $$$ for a manned moon mission.  I gotta believe some country going to try again.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    How NASA Plans to Send Humans Back to the Moon

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/nasa-orion-recovery-tests-humans-moon-space-science/

This is an interesting read, this is about Orion, NASA's shuttle replacement ... still in the test phase.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Interesting....

Elon Musk says he may be interested in buying some closing GM plants

He's a businessman, he will not be buying Oshawa...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    First sounds from Mars ever heard by humans (well, that we know of) - the sound of wind blowing over the InSight lander. Different sound to it than Earth wind.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-nasa-lander-captures-1st-sounds-of-martian-wind_us_5c0bb774e4b035a7bf5ba3b2

(can't hear InSight without thinking of InSite, the safe injection site in Vancouver that saves many lives that might otherwise be lost to overdose).
    First sounds from Mars ever heard by humans (well, that we know of) - the sound of wind blowing over the InSight lander. Different sound to it than Earth wind.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-nasa-lander-captures-1st-sounds-of-martian-wind_us_5c0bb774e4b035a7bf5ba3b2

(can't hear InSight without thinking of InSite, the safe injection site in Vancouver that saves many lives that might otherwise be lost to overdose).
    Hahaha, I always think the same thing with the name!
    Is this a thread about space.  Would probably be more going on in this thread if we were discussing space instead of some fraud...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Elon Musk.  You are a fraud if you wrongfully accuse someone of being a pedo because they knew your sub had no chance of working...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Did he actually accuse him?  Were charges pressed and an investigation took place into the matter? Or was it a reactionary matter of calling him a name out of spite?  I'm not making excuses for the latter and it's certainly not ok to do that, but I don't see it as accusing the guy. Did Unsworth not first say Musk could stick his submarine up his ass?
    Anyway, let's not hijack the thread with politics.

Elon Musk sued by British diver he accused of being a 

pedophilehttps://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-sued-by-thai-cave-rescuer-he-accused-of-being-a-pedophile/

Give Peas A Chance…
    I still fail to see an actual "accusation."  It was name-calling, and poor at that.
    I still fail to see an actual "accusation."  It was name-calling, and poor at that.
    I expect better from people in his position...

Do you subscribe to the NASA channel?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I expect better from people in his position...

Do you subscribe to the NASA channel?  
    I would agree.  And if I were Unsworth, I'd probably sue him too.  I could use a nice out-of-court settlement from a billionaire in a defamation suit.
    I follow NASA & various offshoots on Youtube, instagram, & twitter.