Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• RNDMARNDMA Blackpool, England Posts: 14
    Is anyone from uk going to see GVF when they are over in March? 
    Got tix for liverpool but going solo 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    Listened to the new album.   I like it, not as much as I like the EP's, but it's decent.  Will listen to it more to see if it grows on me more.   Not too many albums hit me over the head on the first listen (although from the fires did).
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    They are better then Pitbull.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I'm liking the new album. Sounds like they're refining their own sound. Not quite as much obvious LZ influence.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    I dig the new album. Seeing them in Chicago 12/15
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    The album review on Pitchfork today is hilarious
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Came here to say this.  They didn't pull any punches.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • The album review on Pitchfork today is hilarious

Wowza.

At a minimum, there's a hint of truth in the review. I like the band, but it seems as if they are more 'in character' than they need to be.

I like The Darkness (unfavourable) comparison. The Darkness is one of my guilty pleasures- loud and fun music that has not grown old for me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Wowza.

At a minimum, there's a hint of truth in the review. I like the band, but it seems as if they are more 'in character' than they need to be.

I like The Darkness (unfavourable) comparison. The Darkness is one of my guilty pleasures- loud and fun music that has not grown old for me.
    agreed....I saw them live last year and was impressed, but they won't get far by just sounding like LZ.  They will sell out a tour and then fade away.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    CM189191 said:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/
    Ouch! I personally don't find them that good, but that is scathing!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    CM189191 said:

Ouch. But it is a rock critic.
    Here's Rolling Stone on Zeppelin's first album:

Jimmy Page, around whom the Zeppelin revolves, is, admittedly, an extraordinarily proficient blues guitarist and explorer of his instrument’s electronic capabilities. Unfortunately, he is also a very limited producer and a writer of weak, unimaginative songs, and the Zeppelin album suffers from his having both produced it and written most of it (alone or in combination with his accomplices in the group).

and this:

“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” alternates between prissy Robert Plant's howled vocals fronting an acoustic guitar and driving choruses of the band running down a four-chord progression while John Bonham smashes his cymbals on every beat. The song is very dull in places (especially on the vocal passages), very redundant, and certainly not worth the six-and-a-half minutes the Zeppelin gives it.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    eddiec said:
    CM189191 said:

Ouch. But it is a rock critic.
    Here's Rolling Stone on Zeppelin's first album:

Jimmy Page, around whom the Zeppelin revolves, is, admittedly, an extraordinarily proficient blues guitarist and explorer of his instrument’s electronic capabilities. Unfortunately, he is also a very limited producer and a writer of weak, unimaginative songs, and the Zeppelin album suffers from his having both produced it and written most of it (alone or in combination with his accomplices in the group).

and this:

“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” alternates between prissy Robert Plant's howled vocals fronting an acoustic guitar and driving choruses of the band running down a four-chord progression while John Bonham smashes his cymbals on every beat. The song is very dull in places (especially on the vocal passages), very redundant, and certainly not worth the six-and-a-half minutes the Zeppelin gives it.

nice
  • RNDMA said:
    Is anyone from uk going to see GVF when they are over in March? 
    Got tix for liverpool but going solo 
    I'm going next week in London but I think my 10c friend is going to Liverpool, I'll ask him 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Saw them in London on Monday night. I have to say, it was really great. I'd say there were definitely way more over 35's than under but that was expected. They busted into Highway Tune for the second song and the place went bananas.
    Lead singer came onstage at start of show and threw roses into the crowd which was super cheesy but other than that it was highly enjoyable.
  • pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    Attaway77 said:
    rgambs said:
    If they didn't try to dress and act like Zeppelin I'd have an easier time accepting them.
    So maybe just listen to the music and not worry about what they are wearing? It's a cool band, young dudes making cool jams. Good on them for having the talent to rewind into the past and sound great instead of stuck in the present sounding the same as everyone else.
    So how is it "talent" rewinding the past instead of stuck in the present sounding like everyone else? Both situations suck, really. Especially when you offer nothing new to the equation. GVF are terrible, plain and simple. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    Attaway77 said:
    rgambs said:
    If they didn't try to dress and act like Zeppelin I'd have an easier time accepting them.
    So maybe just listen to the music and not worry about what they are wearing? It's a cool band, young dudes making cool jams. Good on them for having the talent to rewind into the past and sound great instead of stuck in the present sounding the same as everyone else.
    So how is it "talent" rewinding the past instead of stuck in the present sounding like everyone else? Both situations suck, really. Especially when you offer nothing new to the equation. GVF are terrible, plain and simple. 
    Music is subjective.  You find them terrible, but lot's of other people like them.  Personally I try not to disparage other people's music taste's just because it's something I don't appreciate.
  • Attaway77 said:
    rgambs said:
    So offer something unique or you suck?

I'll disagree with that. They're a good young band in an era where good young rock bands are becoming scarce.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • The album review on Pitchfork today is hilarious
    Fucking gold!!  I hate Pitchfork as much as the next guy, but they kind of nailed it here.  It's not that they're not talented, but they've gone so all in on the classic rock genre, there's just zero originality.  I guess the fact that they're doing so well is pretty indicative of the state of modern rock.  No wonder we're all clinging on to the remaining 90's artists.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Fucking gold!!  I hate Pitchfork as much as the next guy, but they kind of nailed it here.  It's not that they're not talented, but they've gone so all in on the classic rock genre, there's just zero originality.  I guess the fact that they're doing so well is pretty indicative of the state of modern rock.  No wonder we're all clinging on to the remaining 90's artists.
    They are good but they lack the raw energy.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    They are good but they lack the raw energy.  
    I’d say they lack authenticity..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    If anyone in the Chicago area is interested, I have an extra ticket to GVF's Saturday show at the Aragon Ballroom for Face $62.68
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Any reviews of the Chicago shows so far. Aren't they playing like 3 nights?
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    slowly liking these guys... some awesome tunes at a young age already. 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Steven Wilson shit on these guys tonight at his show lol.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Steven Wilson shit on these guys tonight at his show lol.
    He is just unhappy that he is irrelevant in the music world now. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Steven Wilson shit on these guys tonight at his show lol.
    He is just unhappy that he is irrelevant in the music world now. 

Respect for his skills, but he seems like a douche. 

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited December 2018
    Nami said:
    slowly liking these guys... some awesome tunes at a young age already. 

I dunno, they’ve taken a lot of time to “write” some fairly lackluster music. Look at somebody like Marcus King who younger and leading a band of far superior musicians with 3 albums under his belt.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    I hate to say it but I liked the EP way more than the LP

9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center