Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And then there is my sister’s tree. I’m sorry, is this Christmas or are we at a fucking wedding? Thought I taught her better than this. :i_dunno:
    Why would you use a band like that... and a bow on the top. Haha. Still better than a multicolored chaos though.
    Do you not use garland in Sweden? It’s common in the US. 
    That's not a garland. It's just ribbon. Now ribbon CAN look nice on a tree, but probably not white, and definitely not on that tree (that is a fake tree!!!!). On a nice, big, full, real tree, a ribbon can look good. Best in red.
    Semantics. Same purpose & use.
    My possibly unpopular opinion is that I think it’s ridiculous when people say “it’s just semantics”. Semantics is the study of the meaning.. What is the point of trying to argue that the meaning of a word used doesn’t
      matter? 
    Because in this case it was known what was meant by the word “garland” even though it isn’t technically garland. It’s still a decorative wreath/cord/tape wrapped around the tree.
    I mentioned the difference because I think there is a significant one. I don't think garland and a big ribbon are really remotely similar in appearance. I mean, you can wrap saran wrap or a bunch of shoelaces tied together around the tree too - that doesn't make it garland. ;) Yes, I knew you called it garland because it wraps around the tree... that is why I corrected you. Because it's not garland. :tongue:
    I wonder if this is the most garland (or not garland) has ever been discussed in the history of this forum?
    I know... my point is, when Spritual questioned the ribbon, I thought he was questioning the concept of something wrapped around the tree like that.  Like it wasn't something they do in Sweden.  That's why I used the term "garland" generically.
      Got it. I am really glad we got this whole garland issue hammered out. :lol:;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And then there is my sister’s tree. I’m sorry, is this Christmas or are we at a fucking wedding? Thought I taught her better than this. :i_dunno:
    Why would you use a band like that... and a bow on the top. Haha. Still better than a multicolored chaos though.
    That's not a garland. It's just ribbon. Now ribbon CAN look nice on a tree, but probably not white, and definitely not on that tree (that is a fake tree!!!!). On a nice, big, full, real tree, a ribbon can look good. Best in red.
    My possibly unpopular opinion is that I think it’s ridiculous when people say “it’s just semantics”. Semantics is the study of the meaning.. What is the point of trying to argue that the meaning of a word used doesn’t
      matter? 
    Because in this case it was known what was meant by the word “garland” even though it isn’t technically garland. It’s still a decorative wreath/cord/tape wrapped around the tree.
    I mentioned the difference because I think there is a significant one. I don't think garland and a big ribbon are really remotely similar in appearance. I mean, you can wrap saran wrap or a bunch of shoelaces tied together around the tree too - that doesn't make it garland. ;) Yes, I knew you called it garland because it wraps around the tree... that is why I corrected you. Because it's not garland. :tongue:
    I wonder if this is the most garland (or not garland) has ever been discussed in the history of this forum?
    I know... my point is, when Spritual questioned the ribbon, I thought he was questioning the concept of something wrapped around the tree like that.  Like it wasn't something they do in Sweden.  That's why I used the term "garland" generically.

It was stressing me out all day!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My life would be a lot less entertaining without you fuckers.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 

First step, garland peace; next step, world peace.

AMT peace will be the third step. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    When my garland finally fell apart I went to buy more, but I picked up a couple packages of tinsel instead. I like it better. Garland positioning can be almost as difficult as putting on the lights (but lights are in no way as difficult as my dad used to make it out to be when I was growing up). 

Dads, huh? 

:lol:
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Yeah, all white lights for Christmas.  I don't recall seeing multi-colored snow sitting on tree branches growing up. 

• Great thread - just goes to show how different fans tastes are. Just to add -
    1. Am over Release as an opener. 
    2. Don’t like the changed/extended versions of Corduroy & Do The Evolution. 

Yeah, all white lights for Christmas.  I don't recall seeing multi-colored snow sitting on tree branches growing up. 

Did you watch cartoons growing up or do you only recall real people? 
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 

After this debacle, I'm calling out every single person who calls Pearl Jam's 8th studio album "Avocado" from now on. :rofl::weary:
  • Sting and all of his music is terrible
    Dave Matthew's Band are awful
    The Grateful Dead are unlistenable
    95% of rap/hip hop is just awful

Dave A's drumming was best for Pearl Jam's sound but Matt Cameron is the best drummer for the longevity of the band
    There is no longer the chance of something crazy or dangerous happening at a PJ show like there used to be
    Boom Gaspar adds next to nothing musically for the band and should probably just be retired from it
    Crazy Mary is a waste of time and once eliminated is another reason to scrap Gaspar
    Goatees haven't been cool for a long time and Ed should scrap the beard/goatee thing for a while. That big white hat he wears sometimes has to go as well
    I always thought Ament was overweight but he's actually pretty fit. 
    The success of the band and their schedule of festivals and stuff is really diminishing their creative output as witnessed by the huge gap between albums here lately.  I am concerned they lack the fire 
    Ed is coming to my town this Spring for a solo festival show and I'm kinda not that interested in going
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Sting and all of his music is terrible

Dave A's drumming was best for Pearl Jam's sound but Matt Cameron is the best drummer for the longevity of the band
    There is no longer the chance of something crazy or dangerous happening at a PJ show like there used to be
    Boom Gaspar adds next to nothing musically for the band and should probably just be retired from it
    Crazy Mary is a waste of time and once eliminated is another reason to scrap Gaspar
    Goatees haven't been cool for a long time and Ed should scrap the beard/goatee thing for a while. That big white hat he wears sometimes has to go as well
    The success of the band and their schedule of festivals and stuff is really diminishing their creative output as witnessed by the huge gap between albums here lately.  I am concerned they lack the fire 
    Ed is coming to my town this Spring for a solo festival show and I'm kinda not that interested in going
    Sting has some good songs.  He also has a lot of bad songs.
    Yeah, PJ shows are a dad fest now
    Sorry Boom, but agreed
    Crazy Mary was once a good song that got overplayed and once Boom came it got destroyed
    Not into goatees myself.  Yeah, the hat is kind of lame
    No comment regarding Ament
    100% spot on about the festivals.  Bottom line has sucked from top line of creativity.
    Ed solo shows: snooze.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited December 2018

Good post. This I like apart from the Jeff bit. Jeff has always been in great shape.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 

After this debacle, I'm calling out every single person who calls Pearl Jam's 8th studio album "Avocado" from now on. :rofl::weary:
    I call it that sorry. Not sorry 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Anyone who would choose to go and see a Pearl Jam tribute band when Mudhoney is on in the same town on the same night is not okay, I believe.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    I've never seen an Ed solo show but I've heard good things (and bad things, but those are about the crowds). I would definitely take the opportunity if I had it. 

The Police had some great, classic songs. 
  • Anyone who would choose to go and see a Pearl Jam tribute band when Mudhoney is on in the same town on the same night is not okay, I believe.
    I would be that guy. Just don't get mudhoney.  And I don't get QOTSA and foo fighters. All not for me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Eddie should stop the David Lee Roth style leaps off the drum riser before it's too late.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Dave Mathews Band- I don't think that is unpopular. That's why I haven't heard him on the radio in about 15 years.
    95% of rap/hip being unlistenable. Close, but you're off by about 5%.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    An interesting opinion, except I'd keep Boom, he adds cool texture to the live sound, and the dead are a great listen. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited December 2018
    I'm glad PJ concerts are "dad fests" now. It's nice to be around a group of people with which you have something in common - although I did see a lot of probable moms in Seattle this summer.

Edit: Other than Pearl Jam fandom, of course!
    Post edited by rummy on
  • rummy said:
    I'm glad PJ concerts are "dad fests" now. It's nice to be around a group of people with which you have something in common - although I did see a lot of probable moms in Seattle this summer.
    Word
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• rummy said:

Edit: Other than Pearl Jam fandom, of course!
    Thought this said problem moms at first glance. There’s always a couple of those around at shows too, ha!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Hahah many problem  mum's!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Anyone who would choose to go and see a Pearl Jam tribute band when Mudhoney is on in the same town on the same night is not okay, I believe.
    I'd rather see Creed than a Pearl Jam cover/tribute band.  Nothing is more ridiculous to me than play acting as a band that is actually still active.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    PB11041 said:
    I'd rather see Creed than a Pearl Jam cover/tribute band.  Nothing is more ridiculous to me than play acting as a band that is actually still active.  
    Maybe so but if the "real deal" isn't coming to a town near you in the foreseeable future, it might be an band aid solution to the absence.
    (FTR: I've yet to see a PJ tribute act).
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    rummy said:
    PB11041 said:
    Maybe so but if the "real deal" isn't coming to a town near you in the foreseeable future, it might be an band aid solution to the absence.
    (FTR: I've yet to see a PJ tribute act).
    I've got no shortage of boots that I have not given proper attention too.  And while boots are not the same as in concert, it is way better to me than hearing a facsimile or the music.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Did you watch cartoons growing up or do you only recall real people? 
    I have my opinion and am sticking to it.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PB11041 said:

Liberal use of active.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    actively still raking in the dough.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    If you change your password, you shouldn't have to keep being told you are wrong and wait 3 hours to access your account before they figure out that you are putting in the correct information