Options

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2009 in Other Music
just listening to this classic album by L Boogie. What a great album. One of the great mysteries of modern music, is her disappearance from not just music, but from a public life of any kind really. She turned up for the MTV Unplugged thing where she performed rap/folk songs over guitar, and I remember when the Catholic Church scandal hit, she happened to be performing for the Vatican or something and she berated them, and then wasnt she in Dave Chappelle's Block Party thing?

Its amazing she could create such a flawless and perfect record and then completely disappear.

Will she ever make another record again?

Certainly even if this is the only record she ever records, thats a hell of a legacy.

What a record.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    if she wasnt filled with such a hatered for the white race.
  • Options
    I'm dumb enough to walk in the store and steal
    And I'm dumb enough ask for a date with Lauryn Hill
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

I know how ridiculous to have an intelligent black female, who felt it her duty, at least when she was making music, to make art that speaks about social ills and politics and racism. How absurd! How maddening!

And the things I have heard her rail about in song, is all right on. The staleness and junk food nature of pop music, men who treat women as objects, women who let men treat them as objects, the murder of amadou diallo. Wow, what an unintelligent person!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i thought she got married to some reggae musician or something and has had like 5 kids since she disappeared. for an artist that spoke so much about female empowerment, she sure seemed quick to drop her career to play housewife.

it's an ok album, but i always thought the whole fugees collective was vastly overrated... her, wyclef, etc... they had their moments, but nothing consistently blew me away.
  • Options
    I always thought it was "The Missed Education of Lauryn Hill" :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I agree, it's a great album. Hate the fact that the interviews with the kids are tacked on to the end of every song though, and not their own track. Drives me nuts when the songs come up on shuffle.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    i thought she got married to some reggae musician or something and has had like 5 kids since she disappeared. for an artist that spoke so much about female empowerment, she sure seemed quick to drop her career to play housewife.

it's an ok album, but i always thought the whole fugees collective was vastly overrated... her, wyclef, etc... they had their moments, but nothing consistently blew me away.

of course, you would be that guy, soulsinging. On an album that is universally beloved, you would be the guy to come to this thread and say "yeah, I never understood this record".

thanks for the post friend.

Whether you personally like it soulsinging, the album clearly was and remains one of the biggest albums of all time. She won an armload of grammies that year, and the album pretty much created an entire genre of music, in neo-soul. It would be hard to understand musicians like Alicia Keys without understanding the impact this album had on them.

I also see the record as one of the few records in hip hop of the late 90's that is a welcome breather from the materialism and egocentricism of the p diddy's and mace's of the world at that time.

Whatever your view on her music, its clear to me, she always viewed her music as bound up with the struggle of her people. That her music was made as a soundtrack for rebellion and revolution. I deeply respect people who do things like that.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

of course, you would be that guy, soulsinging. On an album that is universally beloved, you would be the guy to come to this thread and say "yeah, I never understood this record".

thanks for the post friend.

Whether you personally like it soulsinging, the album clearly was and remains one of the biggest albums of all time. She won an armload of grammies that year, and the album pretty much created an entire genre of music, in neo-soul. It would be hard to understand musicians like Alicia Keys without understanding the impact this album had on them.

I also see the record as one of the few records in hip hop of the late 90's that is a welcome breather from the materialism and egocentricism of the p diddy's and mace's of the world at that time.

Whatever your view on her music, its clear to me, she always viewed her music as bound up with the struggle of her people. That her music was made as a soundtrack for rebellion and revolution. I deeply respect people who do things like that.

where did i say i didnt understand it? i said i thought it was overrated. the music was just nothing special. no better than anything amy winehouse has done (another artist that starting getting boatloads of good press... that style just goes over well with critics that think it makes them seem soulful). and her socio-political commentary was a bit tough to swallow when 1) she included the incredibly racist chinese skit on a prior album and 2) she subsequently bailed on all those "rebellion and revolution" values to be a proper, docile, homemaker. what part do you respect? the activisim, or bailing on it for the easy life the first chance she got?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Yes she's on my top 10 list of musicians that have walked away from fame. Well what do you expect with 5 children with Rohan Marley former linebacker for the Miami Hurricanes and son of legend Bob Marley. Where's the time for music, seriously though I can see somewhere here in the future as the children get older she'll make a comeback. Musicians always seem to comeback if for only a little while.

BTW that album was very good very hard to top or even come close.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

I know how ridiculous to have an intelligent black female, who felt it her duty, at least when she was making music, to make art that speaks about social ills and politics and racism. How absurd! How maddening!

And the things I have heard her rail about in song, is all right on. The staleness and junk food nature of pop music, men who treat women as objects, women who let men treat them as objects, the murder of amadou diallo. Wow, what an unintelligent person!

i wasnt refering to her lyrics or music. just her mouth
  • Options
    winning a Grammy....there's a clear indicator of the quality of your music.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options

Interesting that you say this when her 5 children's great grandfather was white and that would be Bob Marley's father. :?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    She won an armload of grammies that year, and the album pretty much created an entire genre of music, in neo-soul. It would be hard to understand musicians like Alicia Keys without understanding the impact this album had on them.

fuck the grammys, fuck musical genres and fuck impact - music has not really changed over the centuries, only the instruments. she has a good voice and had a few good songs. that's all I have to say.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Interesting that you say this when her 5 children's great grandfather was white and that would be Bob Marley's father. :?

Peace
    dont turn it around and make eddieledbetter look like some sort of racist for saying it... read anything shes said about white people in the past and you'll see it goes overboard with baseless generalizations... im not one to pull the "reverse racist" card but theres really not a debate here...

good musician but just one of those people that loves to run their mouth off
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Some decent music, but I'll agree with those who said the Fugees and her are way overrated, and she comes off as ignorant and racist in interviews.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    dont turn it around and make eddieledbetter look like some sort of racist for saying it... read anything shes said about white people in the past and you'll see it goes overboard with baseless generalizations... im not one to pull the "reverse racist" card but theres really not a debate here...

Never said he was a racist, it would be nice to provide a link to how she speaks of hatred towards white people. If so maybe that's maybe why she has shunned the limelight since this album.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

thank you! I own her album, i dont dislike her. Its vise versa. Nevertheless she obviously wasnt that brilliant of a musical mastermind behind the Miseducation. Shes in the where are they now section.
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    Interesting fact: The engineer on "The Miseducation...", Devon Kirkpatrick, was the engineer on my bands debut album. He won a grammy for the Lauryn Hill disc, ours still hasen't been offically released yet, so maybe in a couple of months we'll help him get his second one :D .
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    dont get your hopes up. The engineer for my brothers album did John Mayer and the Black Crowes albums and it didnt help him much. The music business is damn near impossible to get into these days. Less you go indie and get paid like a waitress
  • Options
    evenflow said:
    Interesting fact: The engineer on "The Miseducation...", Devon Kirkpatrick, was the engineer on my bands debut album. He won a grammy for the Lauryn Hill disc, ours still hasen't been offically released yet, so maybe in a couple of months we'll help him get his second one :D .
    How did it go
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Anyone seen her live now when she plays everything super-fast and her concerts look to be like 60 minute long?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Saw her about 5 years ago and she came on late...was cool but i couldnt find the groove. Just lots of shout outs not too much singing but we left after first couple of songs so maybe got better. Plus started off bad making crowd waaaaaittt. Reminded me of GnR back in the day.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Classic Album
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    my2hands said:
    Classic Album
    This post has piqued my interest in this album. Listening to previews on iTunes
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited December 2018
    my2hands said:
    Classic Album
    This post has piqued my interest in this album. Listening to previews on iTunes
    Top 5 album of the 90s. 

Will be skipping the concert though on the 10th... cant travel across the country to Stockholm for it. Feeling stressed missing it though... Doubt she'll be back. Fuck. Fuck,
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    saw her live a couple of years back. really good show. her DJ played a lot of 80s/90s grooves as a opener. She actually came out on time. it was pretty unbelievable.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    She headlined Pitchfork this summer and it was a bit of a disaster. Long delay (both for the opening of the gates because of her soundcheck) and for the show its self. She changed up all the big singles on the album and that left a bad taste in peoples mouths (especially when you are touring the 20th anniversary of the record).

She's insanely talented. She comes at things from left field though and I think that can put people off.