Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol
    Alexa? You really bumped your head
    I have been able to interact/meet with musicians/bands I love and admire through the advent of social media, so there's that. And also with other fans of bands that don't have message boards (see: all canadian bands)

I used to be a facebook exclusive user. I find it must be struggling to keep its users, as it is turning into myspace with all of the ads and promoted posts. it's basically scrolling through 5 ads for every post you want to see. Twitter has started doing promoted shit too, but not nearly as much as facebook. 

it's always interesting to me when someone laughs at social media when this message board is pretty much the same damn thing, and those same people spend more time on here than most do on facebook or twitter. 
    I actually enjoy the part about FaceBook that allows me to keep in touch with people and organizations.  What I don't like about FB is the way it tracks me, the way it tries to sell me crap, and the way it controls my feed (I have have to constantly ask it to give me latest, not what it thinks is "most relevant".  Those are the reasons I awarded FB an Otto's Endlessly Emptying Beer Can gif.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have a Twitter account, but I very rarely open the app. Once in a while I retweet a tweet that I see in an article, and that's it. I find it hard to follow. I much prefer facebook. There is just so much more content there, and the comment sections are much easier to follow.
    That's all I have is Facebook.  All relatives except for a few of my high school buddies.  My friend's list is pathetic.  LOL.  My cousin has 5000 friends. that's too many names to learn...LOL
    Measuring your "friends list" in numbers is silly.  That's myspace Tila Tequila stuff...

I have 250 and with the FB biorhythm feed I only see a dozen at a time...  Stupes...
    I don't even know at least half of my "friends" (and I think I don't even have 200 of them all together). I unfriended all my high school classmates long ago. Many of my FB friends are simply random people from the special interest closed groups I belong to who tend to post good stuff.
    Yes, you've "liked" a few things I have posted.

I really should post them on here too/\...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have a Twitter account, but I very rarely open the app. Once in a while I retweet a tweet that I see in an article, and that's it. I find it hard to follow. I much prefer facebook. There is just so much more content there, and the comment sections are much easier to follow.
    That's all I have is Facebook.  All relatives except for a few of my high school buddies.  My friend's list is pathetic.  LOL.  My cousin has 5000 friends. that's too many names to learn...LOL
    Measuring your "friends list" in numbers is silly.  That's myspace Tila Tequila stuff...

I have 250 and with the FB biorhythm feed I only see a dozen at a time...  Stupes...
    I don't even know at least half of my "friends" (and I think I don't even have 200 of them all together). I unfriended all my high school classmates long ago. Many of my FB friends are simply random people from the special interest closed groups I belong to who tend to post good stuff.

Yes, but I don't consider you a "random" FWIW. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, but I don't consider you a "random" FWIW. ;)
     ;) 
  • Last night's South Park was all about how obsessed we are with our phones. I half-watched it as I played on my phone. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    That's my experience too.  Almost every time I got through check out the machine dings and tells me to wait for assistance.  I prepare to be dropped through a trap door.  I've tried arguing with the damn dumb machine to no avail.  So I  wait, do the eye roll, wait some more. 

But this rarely happens though because I usually allow myself enough time to get in "the real person behind the register" line.  I like seeing real people employed.  Besides that, the machine is always right.  You can't win.  With the real person cashier, you are almost always right or a least you can come to an agreement.  The machines though, they are tyrannical. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I wanted to revise this thread as Facebook, despite all of their security breaches, STILL want a device that has a camera in your home...
    ummm, no.

Amazon is coming here to NYC.  I've no doubt that they will have drones delivering here in the next five years.

They already have these "mail boxes" throughout where you can order something, get a code and it's delivered there.

I do want automated cars.  That would mean less gridlock and zero liability on insurance.

What say you?
    Regarding automated cars, I do want them, even though I enjoy driving and would prefer to be in control. Why do I want them? Because the roads are increasingly unsafe due to our technology addiction. Every time I’m on the road when it’s dark, I look around at stoplights and see the interior of cars lit up like a Christmas tree from glowing cell phone screens. Distracted drivers scare the shit out of me. Bring on automated cars for everyone’s safety and own good. 
  • bbiggs said:
    I wanted to revise this thread as Facebook, despite all of their security breaches, STILL want a device that has a camera in your home...
    ummm, no.

Amazon is coming here to NYC.  I've no doubt that they will have drones delivering here in the next five years.

They already have these "mail boxes" throughout where you can order something, get a code and it's delivered there.

I do want automated cars.  That would mean less gridlock and zero liability on insurance.

What say you?
    Regarding automated cars, I do want them, even though I enjoy driving and would prefer to be in control. Why do I want them? Because the roads are increasingly unsafe due to our technology addiction. Every time I’m on the road when it’s dark, I look around at stoplights and see the interior of cars lit up like a Christmas tree from glowing cell phone screens. Distracted drivers scare the shit out of me. Bring on automated cars for everyone’s safety and own good. 

When I'm 20 deep behind a red light I wish that everyone would go at the same time like in NASCAR.  It's another reason I want the automated cars.

You are 100% correct on the distractions though.  At a light I always look over and notice someone looking down...

The cops out here have pulled people over in bumper to bumper traffic for being on their phones.

Just this weekend I watched an SUV plow in the back of a Subaru in bumper to bumper traffic...  Who does that?  A distracted driver does.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Why not teach people to be responsible when operating a potential killing machine, instead of catering to their stupidity?

No thanks to cars that drive themselves; I doubt it would be as idyllic as many seem to envision.
  • hedonist said:
    Why not teach people to be responsible when operating a potential killing machine, instead of catering to their stupidity?

No thanks to cars that drive themselves; I doubt it would be as idyllic as many seem to envision.
    You know people aren't putting down their devices so I say let the cars drive themselves.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    hedonist said:

You know people aren't putting down their devices so I say let the cars drive themselves.
    Exactly. That ship has sailed. Plus, you can’t fix stupidity. 
    edited December 2018
    hedonist said:

bbiggs said:
    hedonist said:

Anarchists, right winger and libertarians will disagree with this but, in my opinion, since so many people don't seem to be able to practice safe driving while using their cell phones, I would be in favor of a law that, using technology, makes it difficult to impossible to use a cell phone while a vehicle is in operation.    I don't see self-driving vehicles as an answer.  It would be cheaper to make vehicles non-op when a cell phone is on and visa versa.

• brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

bbiggs said:
    hedonist said:

Anarchists, right winger and libertarians will disagree with this but, in my opinion, since so many people don't seem to be able to practice safe driving while using their cell phones, I would be in favor of a law that, using technology, makes it difficult to impossible to use a cell phone while a vehicle is in operation.    I don't see self-driving vehicles as an answer.  It would be cheaper to make vehicles non-op when a cell phone is on and visa versa.

They have an option like that in newer cars.  Parents can control the car not to work if their kids' cell phone isn't off or something like that.
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

bbiggs said:
    hedonist said:

They have an option like that in newer cars.  Parents can control the car not to work if their kids' cell phone isn't off or something like that.
    Excellent!

edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    That's my experience too.  Almost every time I got through check out the machine dings and tells me to wait for assistance.  I prepare to be dropped through a trap door.  I've tried arguing with the damn dumb machine to no avail.  So I  wait, do the eye roll, wait some more. 

But this rarely happens though because I usually allow myself enough time to get in "the real person behind the register" line.  I like seeing real people employed.  Besides that, the machine is always right.  You can't win.  With the real person cashier, you are almost always right or a least you can come to an agreement.  The machines though, they are tyrannical. 
    This is why the cashierless stores are going to be the future. No checkout at all. Just walk in, pick up whatever you want, walk out.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

This is why the cashierless stores are going to be the future. No checkout at all. Just walk in, pick up whatever you want, walk out.
    where I live, that's called shoplifting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

where I live, that's called shoplifting. 
    Well yeah, it is everywhere in Canada so far. We don't have these kinds of stores yet, lol. But they're coming soon enough. I bet in 30 years most or all major stores (at least) will be cashierless.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

That's right, and it's because we're all a bunch of commies down here who want everything to be free:wink:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

Because this is a country (species) of morons and you can't teach 'em a damn thing besides how to eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

Because this is a country (species) of morons and you can't teach 'em a damn thing besides how to eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew lol
    So we'll create a whole new system of extra-smart (ha) vehicles to transport everyone because of some extra-stupid people?  Let people pay for their own ineptness; I want no part!

(I do love me the occasional classic Doritos, by the way =) )
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

So we'll create a whole new system of extra-smart (ha) vehicles to transport everyone because of some extra-stupid people?  Let people pay for their own ineptness; I want no part!

(I do love me the occasional classic Doritos, by the way =) )
    Yeah, but they take casualties with them.  People pay for the idiots one way or another, whether it's a few people paying with their lives or everyone paying with inconvenience.

Everyone loves Doritos!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Me...

ow.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I refuse to use self check-out. I'd rather keep young people in jobs.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

I rarely use self-checkout for the same reasons.  I also like to keep people employed...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    In Ontario starting January 1, distracted driving will be a $1000 fine and a 3-day roadside suspension of your DL, on top of the fine you get a $300-$400 tow fee, and a $200 per night impound fee.  If you get busted knowing this, you should get a 10 grand fine for stupidity.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    In Ontario starting January 1, distracted driving will be a $1000 fine and a 3-day roadside suspension of your DL, on top of the fine you get a $300-$400 tow fee, and a $200 per night impound fee.  If you get busted knowing this, you should get a 10 grand fine for stupidity.
    I frequently see people texting while driving, often in plain view.  The fine here  in California for driving while texting is only $150.  I'd like to see them bump that up for the first violation and then even great er fee and suspended drivers license for the second.  But I honestly don't think California is serious about stopping it from happening.  Yes, in some ways, The Golden State is rather flaky.

Great. Unfortunately it's not going to do any good in the long run. At some point you're not going to have an option. Businesses aren't going to keep employing people when they don't need to.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Great. Unfortunately it's not going to do any good in the long run. At some point you're not going to have an option. Businesses aren't going to keep employing people when they don't need to.
    I will wait for the day that I can just roll my cart to the check and it somehow figures out what's in my cart and bills me accurately...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I will wait for the day that I can just roll my cart to the check and it somehow figures out what's in my cart and bills me accurately...
    Yeah. That will be soon, since that technology already exists, and is reliable, and you don't even have to roll to a check out at all. You just walk out the door. Amazon already opened its second store like this in Seattle. It actually reads what you have when you take it off the shelf. And it's all tabulated via an app on your smartphone, which you scan when you walk in the door. It works by using the same types of technologies found in self-driving cars. It can detect when products are taken or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in your virtual cart. When you walk out of the store, you're automatically charged electronically.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on