Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I enjoy Low Light but would be ok with it taking a break in the opening 2 song slot for awhile. It fits better midset or first encore imo. Hearing it at Worcester for the first time it felt like he held on to that note forever and when he sang it in Padova this year we all knew he was back in form. 

I have heard SBM a couple of times already and it does nothing for the show imo. The crowd is dead. If it was a rare song that the hardcores would enjoy I would be ok with a dead crowd but this song is semi regular (20% of shows). Pairing that with another slow song like Just Breathe like they did at Fenway 2016 is hard to get through and I enjoy the slow jams usually. 

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Lowlight became my favorite Pearl Jam song after Yield came out.  It and I Got Shit fight for the title for me.
    This is not a favorite song thread....
  • PJNB said:
    I enjoy Low Light but would be ok with it taking a break in the opening 2 song slot for awhile. It fits better midset or first encore imo. Hearing it at Worcester for the first time it felt like he held on to that note forever and when he sang it in Padova this year we all knew he was back in form. 

I have heard SBM a couple of times already and it does nothing for the show imo. The crowd is dead. If it was a rare song that the hardcores would enjoy I would be ok with a dead crowd but this song is semi regular (20% of shows). Pairing that with another slow song like Just Breathe like they did at Fenway 2016 is hard to get through and I enjoy the slow jams usually. 

I'm a little sympathetic to SBM because of my personal attachment to it and because of how it's such a characteristically Eddie song. But I agree, it doesn't seem like a song that fits the live setting, especially not as a staple. It definitely has a more intimate vibe to it that's kinda ruined in a stadium setting.
    Just Breathe kinda has the same thing going for it, but the hypnotic vocals on it make it more situated for a stadium, in my opinion.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Lowlight became my favorite Pearl Jam song after Yield came out.  It and I Got Shit fight for the title for me.
    Then your post does not fit either.  Burned!
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    PJNB said:

I'm a little sympathetic to SBM because of my personal attachment to it and because of how it's such a characteristically Eddie song. But I agree, it doesn't seem like a song that fits the live setting, especially not as a staple. It definitely has a more intimate vibe to it that's kinda ruined in a stadium setting.
    Just Breathe kinda has the same thing going for it, but the hypnotic vocals on it make it more situated for a stadium, in my opinion.
    For whatever reason, I can "accept" Just Breathe. Yes, it is a little corny - and Man of the Hour is WAAAAYYYY better (I decided this at the London 2013 show) - but it still seemed like they were experimenting a bit, trying new things, and that's great. Really. With this said, I heard this song (Just Breathe) a while before Speed of Sound and The End and I have to admit I thought that was a bit too much for one album. However, that's okay. It's their artwork. They can do what they want. Unfortunately, when they did it again with Sirens, Future Days, and SBM the next time around, it put an "uh, oh" feeling inside me.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Ohhhhhhh.... LOL - I like to have fun here, it’s fun to joke with folks every once and a while 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Ohhhhhhh.... LOL - I like to have fun here, it’s fun to joke with folks every once and a while 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    PJNB said:

Well played.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    PJNB said:

Heard it in the 2nd slot..not great there. Heard it in the encore and acoustic and it was fantastic there in comparison 
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    SBM on LB is a nice that has some nice texture to it.  it might have been better saved as a b-side though.
    vaggar99 said:
    SBM on LB is a nice that has some nice texture to it.  it might have been better saved as a b-side though.
    What's a b-side?  ;)
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028

I take it Sweet Lew is excluded from this to keep it fair and open......

I've never really fallen in love with The Fixer.

I was gonna say Sweet Lew. . .thankfully they've hardly ever played it. . .some of these choices are blasphemous
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    not sure, but i hear awesome bands had them.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    I have a friends who has thought for her entire life that B-sides are the "worst" songs on an album, and that's why they are on side B of the album instead of side A. :lol: So all her life she's gone into every single album thinking side B is essentially a throw away as far as the artist is concerned. :rofl: She had no clue that the term is related to single releases, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    I have a friends who has thought for her entire life that B-sides are the "worst" songs on an album, and that's why they are on side B of the album instead of side A. :lol: So all her life she's gone into every single album thinking side B is essentially a throw away as far as the artist is concerned. :rofl: She had no clue that the term is related to single releases, lol.
    my dad hates reissues with bonus tracks. he thinks "if it wasn't released back then, it's for a reason". it's hard for me to get that he, as a big music fan, doesn't understand that a good song on its own just may not fit the flow of the record and is therefor left off. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    my dad hates reissues with bonus tracks. he thinks "if it wasn't released back then, it's for a reason". it's hard for me to get that he, as a big music fan, doesn't understand that a good song on its own just may not fit the flow of the record and is therefor left off. 
    What does he think of those two Past Masters albums by The Beatles?
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    doesn't even give that stuff the time of day. I bought him "Let It Be....Naked" for xmas the year it came out. He later gave it to me. 

I think it might have something to do with the nostalgic factor for him. those records are a snapshot in time for him and doesn't think they need altering or adding to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    doesn't even give that stuff the time of day. I bought him "Let It Be....Naked" for xmas the year it came out. He later gave it to me. 

I think it might have something to do with the nostalgic factor for him. those records are a snapshot in time for him and doesn't think they need altering or adding to. 
    At this very moment, I'm listening to a podcast that is discussing Let It Be!
    Spooky!
    (Maybe that's why I made my Past Masters post, I suppose).

I can't muster up much of an argument against your dad's logic around nostalgia. How about the new remastered versions of Sgt. Pepper and The White Album?

Crap. I'm derailing the thread.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)

At this very moment, I'm listening to a podcast that is discussing Let It Be!
    Spooky!
    (Maybe that's why I made my Past Masters post, I suppose).

I can't muster up much of an argument against your dad's logic around nostalgia. How about the new remastered versions of Sgt. Pepper and The White Album?

Crap. I'm derailing the thread.

Esher Demos!!!!

I have got to listen to those.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    i think it might have to do with the cash grab aspect.  as in "they taking songs that didn't make the cut, and now making double off of them".  i kind of get it.  that's why I loved Lost Dogs.  no reissue bullshit.  just mostly bad songs that didn't make the cut. hahahhah
    vaggar99 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    i think it might have to do with the cash grab aspect.  as in "they taking songs that didn't make the cut, and now making double off of them".  i kind of get it.  that's why I loved Lost Dogs.  no reissue bullshit.  just mostly bad songs that didn't make the cut. hahahhah
    that might be part of it, but he won't even listen to the songs that are newly released. I mean, he could buy them individually (or even just listen to them) on iTunes, but he chooses not to. He really believes that if it wasn't released when recorded, it shouldn't be released at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

vaggar99 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    that might be part of it, but he won't even listen to the songs that are newly released. I mean, he could buy them individually (or even just listen to them) on iTunes, but he chooses not to. He really believes that if it wasn't released when recorded, it shouldn't be released at all. 
    Was he okay with the release of, say, Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane or Hey Jude/Revolution as non-album singles? 
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    Was he okay with the release of, say, Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane or Hey Jude/Revolution as non-album singles? 
    yes, because non-album singles were commonplace back then, and they were released soon after recording. it's the stuff that gets released decades later that he assumes won't be any good if it took that long to release. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    yes, because non-album singles were commonplace back then, and they were released soon after recording. it's the stuff that gets released decades later that he assumes won't be any good if it took that long to release. 
    There's a small part of me that agrees with your dad! Although I am grateful for  Lost Dogs and those three additional tracks that were included on Radiohead's OK Computer reissue last year.
    Post edited by rummy on
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    vaggar99 said:
    What's a b-side?  ;)
    There's a small part of me that agrees with your dad! Although I am grateful for  Lost Dogs and those three additional tracks that were included on Radiohead's OK Computer reissue last year.
    those 3 tracks are some of the my fave RH tracks ever. just gorgeous. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm almost surprised anyone has mentioned any song besides Sleeping By Myself. 

It's the only PJ song that makes me cringe.

There was a period of time that I avoided spinning LB because I didn't like having to either listen to SBM or jump the needle over it.

What's worse, the band continues to play it live fairly often, despite it being a momentum killer every single time.

Ed's solo version was fine, but I'll never understand the band's (or, umm, Ed's) opinion to re-record it for LB. That was the first time I ever questioned PJ's effort/interest level or the viability of their continued creativity. 

At least Foxymophandlemama had some sort of abstract artiness to it, served a purpose, and didn't take itself too seriously. SBM, on the other hand, is just plain lazy.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Question for everyone that thinks sleeping by myself should have stayed an Ed song: do you think can’t keep should have stayed a pj song or do you like it as an Ed song?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question for everyone that thinks sleeping by myself should have stayed an Ed song: do you think can’t keep should have stayed a pj song or do you like it as an Ed song?
    I love it as both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm almost surprised anyone has mentioned any song besides Sleeping By Myself. 

It's the only PJ song that makes me cringe.

There was a period of time that I avoided spinning LB because I didn't like having to either listen to SBM or jump the needle over it.

What's worse, the band continues to play it live fairly often, despite it being a momentum killer every single time.

Ed's solo version was fine, but I'll never understand the band's (or, umm, Ed's) opinion to re-record it for LB. That was the first time I ever questioned PJ's effort/interest level or the viability of their continued creativity. 

At least Foxymophandlemama had some sort of abstract artiness to it, served a purpose, and didn't take itself too seriously. SBM, on the other hand, is just plain lazy.
    i wouldn't be at all surprised if the band was convinced to record it by BoB. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think the PJ version is vastly superior, but the solo version works on the solo album well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata