Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018

And then there is my sister’s tree. I’m sorry, is this Christmas or are we at a fucking wedding? Thought I taught her better than this. :i_dunno:
    :lol: That bow on the top is really the kicker. That takes it from not the worst ever to absolutely ridiculous, hahaha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018

And then there is my sister’s tree. I’m sorry, is this Christmas or are we at a fucking wedding? Thought I taught her better than this. :i_dunno:
    Why would you use a band like that... and a bow on the top. Haha. Still better than a multicolored chaos though.
    Do you not use garland in Sweden? It’s common in the US. 
    We often use a thin band of glitter. I guess it's similiar to the sisters band.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2018

Why would you use a band like that... and a bow on the top. Haha. Still better than a multicolored chaos though.
    That's not a garland. It's just ribbon. Now ribbon CAN look nice on a tree, but probably not white, and definitely not on that tree (that is a fake tree!!!!). On a nice, big, full, real tree, a ribbon can look good. Best in red.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I like where this thread is going. When we get our tree up I will take a pic. 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Mike Pence did a good job at the state funeral today..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: That bow on the top is really the kicker. That takes it from not the worst ever to absolutely ridiculous, hahaha.
    I’m wondering if the whole bow/ribbon thing is just one piece. 
    PJ_Soul said:

That's not a garland. It's just ribbon. Now ribbon CAN look nice on a tree, but probably not white, and definitely not on that tree (that is a fake tree!!!!). On a nice, big, full, real tree, a ribbon can look good. Best in red.
    Semantics. Same purpose & use.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

My possibly unpopular opinion is that I think it’s ridiculous when people say “it’s just semantics”. Semantics is the study of the meaning.. What is the point of trying to argue that the meaning of a word used doesn’t
      matter? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    I'm anti-semantic.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:
    I'm anti-semantic.
    :clap:
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

My possibly unpopular opinion is that I think it’s ridiculous when people say “it’s just semantics”. Semantics is the study of the meaning.. What is the point of trying to argue that the meaning of a word used doesn’t
      matter? 
    Because in this case it was known what was meant by the word “garland” even though it isn’t technically garland. It’s still a decorative wreath/cord/tape wrapped around the tree.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    Because in this case it was known what was meant by the word “garland” even though it isn’t technically garland. It’s still a decorative wreath/cord/tape wrapped around the tree.
    That s definitely not garland. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    I gotta agree with mcgruff here - that is not even close to garland. And the bow is a bit...odd. 
    I am firmly on the side of colored lights on a Christmas tree. But I like blinking lights - I like the ones where you can choose your preferred blinking speed/sequence. I had two of them but they died a couple years ago so I just have regular colored lights now. 

I like tinsel better than garland and though I grew up with a tree that we had to put together, I get a real tree now. 

This is the only decoration I have out at the moment.....

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    1. Too much Christmas info four weeks before the holiday creates anxiety. (When did this holiday become "unpopular")

2. In music related unpopular opinions, Hootie and the Freakin Blowfish announce three years worth of shows jam packed into 2019. Rumors are all fans will have a fair chance at prime seats and with their reunion, Hootie is gunning to become The Quintessential American Rock Band.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345

This is hilarious...although I would like to flip through that vinyl collection!
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    I gotta agree with mcgruff here - that is not even close to garland. And the bow is a bit...odd. 
    But when I say "garland" everyone knows I'm talking about the piece wrapped around the tree, no?
    The bow is funny.  My sister is a bit...odd.  I do think the bow & ribbon are one whole piece.  I haven't seen it in person, this was a pic she posted.  She's probably in the class of people that think this makes a Christmas tree look elegant or classy. She also got an urn for her cat that recently died.  I told her that was weird and she got mad at me.  :weary:
  • njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    But when I say "garland" everyone knows I'm talking about the piece wrapped around the tree, no?
    The bow is funny.  My sister is a bit...odd.  I do think the bow & ribbon are one whole piece.  I haven't seen it in person, this was a pic she posted.  She's probably in the class of people that think this makes a Christmas tree look elegant or classy. She also got an urn for her cat that recently died.  I told her that was weird and she got mad at me.  :weary:
    In Sweden you are not allowed to keep an Urn of someone (human) passing. It's against the law to keep the ashes and falls under the law of "crime against the peace of the grave".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    In Sweden you are not allowed to keep an Urn of someone (human) passing. It's against the law to keep the ashes and falls under the law of "crime against the peace of the grave".
    In the US, people just don't know how to let go of things.
  • njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    In the US, people just don't know how to let go of things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJKLNlKpNAE
  • E.K said:
    Eddie really needs to buy himself some new clothes.  I think he wore that blue & black checked shirt at nearly every European and US show this year?  ffs Eddie you are not poor.. buy some new freaking clothes.  Also that white wide brimmed hat Eddie sometimes wears on stage at the solo shows is too big for his head and looks dumb, especially when worn with the old black & blue checked shirt.  And don't get me started on his 1980s hairstyle ...  

Ahh.. that felt good.  :D 

Grunge’d ;)
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

vaggar99 said:
    I'm anti-semantic.
    :lol:
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    I mentioned the difference because I think there is a significant one. I don't think garland and a big ribbon are really remotely similar in appearance. I mean, you can wrap saran wrap or a bunch of shoelaces tied together around the tree too - that doesn't make it garland. ;) Yes, I knew you called it garland because it wraps around the tree... that is why I corrected you. Because it's not garland. :tongue:
    I wonder if this is the most garland (or not garland) has ever been discussed in the history of this forum?
    edited December 2018
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    Yeah, that is weird. I have to admit I just threw out the remains of my dead cat, in a dumpster. I didn't know what else to do with her. I didn't have a place to bury her, and didn't feel any connection to a corpse whatsoever. My sweet cat was gone and I couldn't have cared less what happened to the body (luckily I have a family plot - no, I wouldn't have this same attitude about a human, lol!) ... I don't know if it's illegal to throw a dead animal in a dumpster or what, but it worked..... I'm really not sure if this is fucked up of me or what. I do know that a couple people told me that's what they would have done too, lol.
    I guess the lesson there is that, no matter how fucked up you think the way someone is dealing with the remains of a loved one, be it animal or human, just keep your trap shut about it in front of them, lol. ;)
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Isn't garland that bushy tree type material... like a never ending pine bough that you wrap around a bannister?

I never did dive deep on Christmas. Mine is the dark house on the street most years, and the wife and kids don't put the tree up until I damn-well get it out. Sometime not until Christmas Eve. It requires a sizeable skirmish under the stairs, and if I win and emerge with the blasted thing then YAY, there's a Christmas.

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited December 2018
    Haven’t listened to PJ in a while, but threw on some Vienna 2014 this morning. I’ll never get tired of hearing the sped up version of Even Flow live. Still one of their most grooving riffs along with Why Go. It’s just a shot of adrenaline every single time. Hopefully the next album will get back to their roots and have some groovy, funky riffs with McCready solos in the middle.

Also Speed of Sound is one of the most underrated Eddie tunes in recent years. The recent years are slowly turning into 10 years ago, fkn A.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    Yeah, that is weird. I have to admit I just threw out the remains of my dead cat, in a dumpster. I didn't know what else to do with her. I didn't have a place to bury her, and didn't feel any connection to a corpse whatsoever. My sweet cat was gone and I couldn't have cared less what happened to the body (luckily I have a family plot - no, I wouldn't have this same attitude about a human, lol!) ... I don't know if it's illegal to throw a dead animal in a dumpster or what, but it worked..... I'm really not sure if this is fucked up of me or what. I do know that a couple people told me that's what they would have done too, lol.
    I guess the lesson there is that, no matter how fucked up you think the way someone is dealing with the remains of a loved one, be it animal or human, just keep your trap shut about it in front of them, lol. ;)
    She doesn't deal with loss very well at all.  Be it death of a pet, friend, family member, barely known acquaintance.  It doesn't have to be death either, it can just be a boyfriend breaking up with her, a friend moving away, or just losing friendship over some argument for instance. I can probably count on one hand the number of days she's been single since high school (she's 37 now).  She always has to be attached to something or several things.  It's a neediness that I just can't understand.  I try to, because she's my sister, but we are polar opposites in that respect.  Sometimes the grief just gets to be too much and I just can't take the constant sorrow and sulk anymore.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    I mentioned the difference because I think there is a significant one. I don't think garland and a big ribbon are really remotely similar in appearance. I mean, you can wrap saran wrap or a bunch of shoelaces tied together around the tree too - that doesn't make it garland. ;) Yes, I knew you called it garland because it wraps around the tree... that is why I corrected you. Because it's not garland. :tongue:
    I wonder if this is the most garland (or not garland) has ever been discussed in the history of this forum?
    I know... my point is, when Spritual questioned the ribbon, I thought he was questioning the concept of something wrapped around the tree like that.  Like it wasn't something they do in Sweden.  That's why I used the term "garland" generically.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

matter? 
    I know... my point is, when Spritual questioned the ribbon, I thought he was questioning the concept of something wrapped around the tree like that.  Like it wasn't something they do in Sweden.  That's why I used the term "garland" generically.
    When my garland finally fell apart I went to buy more, but I picked up a couple packages of tinsel instead. I like it better. Garland positioning can be almost as difficult as putting on the lights (but lights are in no way as difficult as my dad used to make it out to be when I was growing up).