Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    No love for Vision Quest?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    eddiec said:
    No love for Vision Quest?
    I had to look it up. Never heard of it.
    I do like Matthew Modine...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Boy gets Colorado town to overturn snowball fight ban

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46439279?ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Would that greatest country in the word make a 9-year-old beg his political masters to allow snowball fights?  Hmmm, what the fuck are the matter with politicians?  Ban politicians, not snowball fights.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46439279?ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Would that greatest country in the word make a 9-year-old beg his political masters to allow snowball fights?  Hmmm, what the fuck are the matter with politicians?  Ban politicians, not snowball fights.

I was surprised it was a hundred-year old ban.  That seems like it would have been no more recent than the 1980s.  100 years ago, America was still great and Americans were still tough.  Were they just ahead of the game on wussifying America?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm all for stopping the "wussifying of america", but honestly, snowballs to the face can fucking hurt. Especially when you get that one asshole who puts water on it to make an iceball. they don't all just fall apart in a puff of cute whiteness like in Elf. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm all for stopping the "wussifying of america", but honestly, snowballs to the face can fucking hurt. Especially when you get that one asshole who puts water on it to make an iceball. they don't all just fall apart in a puff of cute whiteness like in Elf. 
    You'd better watch out, if someone reports this talk you could be fighting to keep your Canadian citizenship.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    OnWis97 said:

I was surprised it was a hundred-year old ban.  That seems like it would have been no more recent than the 1980s.  100 years ago, America was still great and Americans were still tough.  Were they just ahead of the game on wussifying America?
    LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Snowball fights were the best part of winter.  I loved snowball fights.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That's true, but the trick to stopping that is to find ways for parents to raise kids who aren't little pieces of shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    i did too....with friends. not at school recess, where all the assholes laid in wait. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    You'd better watch out, if someone reports this talk you could be fighting to keep your Canadian citizenship.
    I still moosepool to work, so I think I should be good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018
    I got a snowball thrown in my eye as a kid at school. So my dad got it banned from the school yard.

I think we still were allowed to throw snowballs in the forrest next to the school though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    i did too....with friends. not at school recess, where all the assholes laid in wait. 
    Yes, I never throw a snowball at a non-participant.  It was only fun if everyone was enjoying.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    rgambs said:
    I still moosepool to work, so I think I should be good. 
    Moosepool. I must remember that. LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's true, but the trick to stopping that is to find ways for parents to raise kids who aren't little pieces of shit.
    Amen!
    PJ_Soul said:
    that will literally never happen. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    No Coder said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Natural is one of my all-time faves (and I am so in love with Robert Redford :heart: ) ... I love all boxing movies, and I love all baseball movies. Even shit like Little Big League and Brewster's Millions and Mr. 3000, lol.
    The rest of the sports movies... I usually like them too, but they don't do it for me like boxing and baseball ones.
    Yes, The Natural is a classic.

I agree, I tend to even enjoy the decidedly average or shit sports movies (Mr 3000 is definitely in that category, but I still enjoyed it).

Forgot Caddyshack (damn!) and Happy Gilmore. There's also the Legend of Bagger Vance for golf too
    I am a big fan of the Legend of Bagger Vance. It's not a movie that made a big splash in theaters and I don't play or watch golf, but I find the movie extremely entertaining. 

Friday Night Lights & The Longest Yard are also great football movies. 
    edited December 2018
    I even really like Fever Pitch. It reminds me of PJ fans. :lol:

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • One year in elementary school we had a massive snowfall at the start of winter. At lunch, it was pure bedlam on the playing field. I was in grade 6 and wreaking havoc- having the time of my life with my buddies. We had a great big massive snow fort and were protecting it with our lives. It was the perfect snow for packing.

The teachers were out in full force trying to regain control of the situation. They were trying to call everyone in, but there was a frenzied pitch. About 100 feet from me, my teacher was turned to the side yelling at some kid for something. I packed a good one for her and launched it- just as she turned and saw me do it. Her jaw fell and she stared at me- shocked I had lined her up.

You couldn't track the snowball because it was snowing too hard, but after 3-4 seconds... the snowball hit her square in the face. I drilled her. My friends and I didn't even laugh. I felt my stomach turn and I heard one of my buddies say something like, "Oh shit. You're in trouble."

I was in trouble. I got hauled into the office awaiting my fate. As I was in there, there were multiple kids crying and dealing with whatever happened to them on the field. It was no longer a school office as much as it was a makeshift triage.

I just got the stern talking to. I actually felt bad and I apologized. I threw one at her not really thinking I was going to hit her (especially square in the face). 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I grew up where there was no snow so instead we had dirt clod fights.  Got one square in the eye one time and it hurt like hell.  Snow balls, dirt clods, spit wads.  All the same thing- kids being stupid little shits.  I could have lost that eye.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited December 2018
    In Canada, our winters are long and cold, you need to find a reason to get out, snowball fights on the weekends were blast.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    brianlux said:
    I grew up where there was no snow so instead we had dirt clod fights.  Got one square in the eye one time and it hurt like hell.  Snow balls, dirt clods, spit wads.  All the same thing- kids being stupid little shits.  I could have lost that eye.
    That sounds amazing!! (the bold part).
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    brianlux said:
    That sounds amazing!! (the bold part).
    It actually did snow one time when I was around 10 or 11.  We really flipped out digging it!  Fun!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    njnancy said:
    No Coder said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Natural is one of my all-time faves (and I am so in love with Robert Redford :heart: ) ... I love all boxing movies, and I love all baseball movies. Even shit like Little Big League and Brewster's Millions and Mr. 3000, lol.
    The rest of the sports movies... I usually like them too, but they don't do it for me like boxing and baseball ones.
    Yes, The Natural is a classic.

I agree, I tend to even enjoy the decidedly average or shit sports movies (Mr 3000 is definitely in that category, but I still enjoyed it).

Forgot Caddyshack (damn!) and Happy Gilmore. There's also the Legend of Bagger Vance for golf too
    I am a big fan of the Legend of Bagger Vance. It's not a movie that made a big splash in theaters and I don't play or watch golf, but I find the movie extremely entertaining. 

Friday Night Lights & The Longest Yard are also great football movies. 
    Yes, that are both great football movies, although the TV Series, Friday Night Lights was much better than the movie for mine. It's probably my Favourite TV series ever  - "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    It's really a major bummer that high performance fabrics are almost solely produced in 3rd world conditions.  If you are into fitness, hunting, backpacking, etc you are out of luck when it comes to avoiding sweatshop labor in the supply chain.  Patagonia and North Face have been slowly working to make changes, but they can't just create an entire manufacturing industry overnight.
    edited December 2018
    Do we want then to create a new industry? I would think we want them all to simply improve the working conditions and increase pay to fair levels in those factories they already have in those countries. If they just shut down and pull out all those workers are fucked.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Do we want then to create a new industry? I would think we want them all to simply improve the working conditions and increase pay to fair levels in those factories they already have in those countries. If they just shut down and pull out all those workers are fucked.
    Well...yes, ideally we would improve the working lives over there, but...ain't gonna happen lol

The problem (as I remember from what I  read a few years ago in an article) is that it's a supply side issue even for the clothing manufacturers.  Ethic-minded companies like Patagonia aren't major textile producers, they buy materials and manufacture them into clothing, and their suppliers are shady fucks rooted in the sweat shop/toxic waste dump mentality.

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    One year in elementary school we had a massive snowfall at the start of winter. At lunch, it was pure bedlam on the playing field. I was in grade 6 and wreaking havoc- having the time of my life with my buddies. We had a great big massive snow fort and were protecting it with our lives. It was the perfect snow for packing.

The teachers were out in full force trying to regain control of the situation. They were trying to call everyone in, but there was a frenzied pitch. About 100 feet from me, my teacher was turned to the side yelling at some kid for something. I packed a good one for her and launched it- just as she turned and saw me do it. Her jaw fell and she stared at me- shocked I had lined her up.

You couldn't track the snowball because it was snowing too hard, but after 3-4 seconds... the snowball hit her square in the face. I drilled her. My friends and I didn't even laugh. I felt my stomach turn and I heard one of my buddies say something like, "Oh shit. You're in trouble."

I was in trouble. I got hauled into the office awaiting my fate. As I was in there, there were multiple kids crying and dealing with whatever happened to them on the field. It was no longer a school office as much as it was a makeshift triage.

I just got the stern talking to. I actually felt bad and I apologized. I threw one at her not really thinking I was going to hit her (especially square in the face). 
    This sounds like a scene from a movie. I'm picturing it all and just laughing. I don't know how people deal with regular snow. I could never do it. Of course, I grew up in sunny California.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    edited December 2018

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well...yes, ideally we would improve the working lives over there, but...ain't gonna happen lol

The problem (as I remember from what I  read a few years ago in an article) is that it's a supply side issue even for the clothing manufacturers.  Ethic-minded companies like Patagonia aren't major textile producers, they buy materials and manufacture them into clothing, and their suppliers are shady fucks rooted in the sweat shop/toxic waste dump mentality.

Why wouldn't that happen? It's not an unprecedented thing at all. Of course it does take some combo of consumer awareness, government regulation and law (ideally in the nations where the work is being done), corporate responsibility in terms of ethical manufacturing, and/or workers' demands for rights. None of those things are impossible. Obviously they aren't possible in the short term, but issues like this are never handled in the short term.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
This discussion has been closed.