The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited November 2018
    cutz said:
    I admit i don't follow the Flyers like i use too, but when i hear names like Hextall, Homgren, Brown, Mcelhargy have positions in the Front Office/Souting i just laugh. When i did watch the Flyers those guys were IDIOTS when they played. How can they have major roles in the Front office? And, how the hell was that idiot Craig Berube ever a head coach? They were the type of players, except Hextall who was a good goalie but a lunatic, would make dumb plays and commit penalties at crucial times be smart in the front office?
    JK_Livin said:
    Wasn't Holmgren removed from his position for Hextall? Now he's firing Hextall. How does that make sense?
    Agreed on these thoughts. I dont know how Holmgren still has a job calling major shots in this organization. The old guard ex-players club should all be removed from upper management. Start new. That includes Bob Clarke.
    I do think Hextall is a smart, calculating guy who did a solid job drafting but thats where it stopped. His refusal to do much of anything to help the main club and protecting his college coach and assistants cost him his job.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I dont see Hart being up here for 2-3 more years, honestly. He's had his struggles a lot so far in the AHL this year. I would not mind them at all signing a proven goalie for 2-3 years and let Hart marinate/ have Stolarz back him up.
    Absolutely, Laperriere needs to be let go along with Hak when the new GM takes over. He should have been fired 2 years ago. Worst PK in the league.
    I think Simmonds is gone. 
    I'd also like to see a reliable Vet D-man acquired to help these kids out. Both Ghost and Provorov have regressed this year, Provorov especially.
    I dont see J. Weal as a good 3rd line Center at all. Not a fan.
    Seems to me part of this firing was that Comcast also wanted Hextall to make some roster changes as well, and he basically wasnt willing to do much of anything, which included firing his coach too. So down he went.

I think Elliot is signed for one more season passed this year.  don't see what they are going to do with him except keeping him for the last year.  bring in a proven back up for 2 years and bring Hart up in the 2020-2021 season as the back up.  I have no faith in Stolarz to be honest. 

Simmonds is in his last season under contract and to be honest, JVR has taken his position.  I would try to trade him for a pick.  I agree about the vet D-man but not much out there.  with the NHL, 3rd line players are transferable. 

what I would love to see is Frost and Myers being brought up
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:
    Wasn't Holmgren removed from his position for Hextall? Now he's firing Hextall. How does that make sense?
    they moved Holmgren up to like President.  Yes he sucked as GM and they gave him a promotion. the hiring of ex-Flyers has definitely stood in the way of progress. I think Hextall did a pretty good job to be honest.  Patient to a fault but seems like he drafted well. 
    Elliot and Neuvirth are both off the books after this year. Gone.
    You can get more than a pick back for Simmonds.
    Frost is in Juniors, cant be called up until his season ends.
    Myers has struggled a lot in the AHL.
    cutz said:
    I admit i don't follow the Flyers like i use too, but when i hear names like Hextall, Homgren, Brown, Mcelhargy have positions in the Front Office/Souting i just laugh. When i did watch the Flyers those guys were IDIOTS when they played. How can they have major roles in the Front office? And, how the hell was that idiot Craig Berube ever a head coach? They were the type of players, except Hextall who was a good goalie but a lunatic, would make dumb plays and commit penalties at crucial times be smart in the front office?
    Berube was just hired as interim coach of the Blues.

I think Hexy did a good job overall with the Flyers as GM.  he has drafted well and was hamstrung to start with some bad contracts. Just seems like he wasn't willing to move up the time table that the organization wanted. he was patient to a fault.
    Elliot and Neuvirth are both off the books after this year. Gone.
    You can get more than a pick back for Simmonds.
    Frost is in Juniors, cant be called up until his season ends.
    Myers has struggled a lot in the AHL.
    just looked and you are right.  Flyers only have Lyon signed for next year.  Simmonds is tricky as he is a UFA and will be 31 next year.  Flyers also have to sign some RFA this year too like Laughton, Konecny, provorov, Sanheim and hart.  again that doesn't mean they sign all of them but hard to see them not. 
    Harts entry level deal is good until 2021-22 season.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Just got a call from our rep at the Flyers ticket office.  Wanted to check in and see how we liked our tickets, thus far. 
    Appreciate the call.
    He said they were "cleaning house" when I expressed my opinion that letting Hexy go was premature, and that I thought Holmgren might mess things up. 
    Wonder if "cleaning house" is the company line, there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Tickets can be bought on stubhub for $10. They blew a third period lead to Ottawa last game. 
    This is rock bottom.
    They fired the defensive coach and head director of scouting/assistant gm yesterday. Once a new GM is found, Hakstol and the other assistant are prob gone too.
    If Fletcher is the G.M. hire, it could be Quennville as head coach. He is very close with the Fletcher family.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I get that you fire the scouting guy due to him being 'Hexy's guy' - but at the same time you think that they would want to keep someone who has shown to have a good eye.  I wish the Kings drafted half as well as the Flyers have in recent years.

Bring Hexy back to LA, fire Blakey.
    Tickets can be bought on stubhub for $10. They blew a third period lead to Ottawa last game. 
    This is rock bottom.
    They fired the defensive coach and head director of scouting/assistant gm yesterday. Once a new GM is found, Hakstol and the other assistant are prob gone too.
    If Fletcher is the G.M. hire, it could be Quennville as head coach. He is very close with the Fletcher family.
    I stayed home with the kids, my Flyers Fan wife went with a girlfriend of hers.  They were some kind of pissed when they got back from the game about the 3rd period meltdown.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    I want a Gritty t-shirt.  One that just has his face on the shirt and covers the whole shirt :lol:

Was listening to Preston & Steve the other morning for their campout for hunger and they had a wedding segment and pretty much had all the philly mascots there (Phanatic, Gritty, wings mascot, and another one).  Anywho during the wedding the priest was talking and after every sentence asked everyone to say "I will" which you can hear, but also who hear some "squeaking/honking" and it was Gritty.  Pretty funy, apparently that's how he communicates. his hands and belly squeak.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited December 2018
    Very interesting article on the true reason Hextall was fired. A lot of this makes sense given the managerial moves that were made in the following days.
    https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/12/hex-spies-and-smaller-plates-a-final-analysis-of-the-flyers-firing-of-ron-hextall.html

Hex, Spies, and Smaller Plates – A Final Analysis of the Flyers’ firing of Ron Hextall
    Anthony SanFilippo -December 1, 2018
    Interesting.
    Mike Richards passed out in th hallway and Jeff Carter needed help getting him back to his room?  ;)
    Interesting.
    Mike Richards passed out in th hallway and Jeff Carter needed help getting him back to his room?  ;)
    Exactly who I first thought of. One of the two.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nice finish. 
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Third from the bottom of the league with games in hand on the other two.
    More changes needed. Long overdue.
    Id like to see some vets moved and may as well ride it out from there and hope you get a top 3. Shouldn't be saying that with this personnel but here they are again. Playoffs a huge long shot.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Joel Quenneville is your next head coach...great hire.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Finally!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Finally!
    what the hell is going on with this? fired or not?   I agree it's time for a change but the coach is only a small problem with this team.  the veterans aren't good enough. the young players are playing like shit and the goaltending is an utter embarrassment for an NHL team.
    I heard a stat over the weekend that we've drafted 23 goalies over the last 18 years and only one has played more than one NHL game, Stolarz! That's like the Brown's QB situation. 
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    I heard a stat over the weekend that we've drafted 23 goalies over the last 18 years and only one has played more than one NHL game, Stolarz! That's like the Brown's QB situation. 
    Bobrovsky?  that's pretty much the only other one I think though.
    Bob was undrafted.
    Bob was undrafted.
    ah did not realize that. interesting stat.  have to look up the stiffs they drafted then.
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Bobrovsky?  that's pretty much the only other one I think though.
    They said it was Stolarz, Bob wasn't drafted.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    now they just need Kane, Toews, and Seabrook in their primes.
    pjhawks said:
    Finally!
    what the hell is going on with this? fired or not?   I agree it's time for a change but the coach is only a small problem with this team.  the veterans aren't good enough. the young players are playing like shit and the goaltending is an utter embarrassment for an NHL team.
    to be fair, the team is better than what they have shown.  they have talent but no system.  also, i just heard that hart has been called up
    Hart appears to be making first Pro start tomorrow night. Recalled. All other goalies besides Lyon are now injured in the organization.

Now official apparently. Scott Gordon from Lehigh named interim coach. Hakstol gone.