Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited November 2018
    Not the worst song, but I'm so bored of Even Flow at almost every single bloody show.  Always skip it when it comes to bootlegs too

I see what you're saying. I really want to embrace Even Flow - it's such an essential/important song in the band's history - but I just can't anymore. And even thought Alive, Better Man, Porch, Do The Evolution, and Corduroy seem to get the similar "overplayed" treatment, for whatever reason, I'm not tired of them (yet?).
    I'm amazed how many songs people don't like. I can't say I have one song I don't dig up until the Cheeseball Trifecta on LB. Sure, I'll skip the "experimental" songs, but I don't really consider those songs, more interludes. But all of them have a purpose, and I think most of them hit the mark. 
    For me, it's more like Pilate is crap compared to Given To Fly or Evacuation doesn't hold a candle to NAIS (two examples). They are okay on their own but PJ has so many more songs that are better.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    ^^^experimental songs usually don't deserve to make the list. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm amazed how many songs people don't like. I can't say I have one song I don't dig up until the Cheeseball Trifecta on LB. Sure, I'll skip the "experimental" songs, but I don't really consider those songs, more interludes. But all of them have a purpose, and I think most of them hit the mark. 
    Agreed.  As mentioned, there are only 3 in the entire catalog I don't care for.  And one of those is just because it's shit live & ends almost every show. It's worn out it's welcome. I still rarely ever skip the other 2 when listening to the albums or bootlegs, and sometimes even sing along.  And I certainly don't take "piss breaks" for any of them.  But to only have 3 after 10 full albums, a double album full of b-sides & unreleased, and many other b-sides or one-off singles is pretty frickin impressive!  I can't say that about any other band.  Even my 2nd favorite band of all time - Rush - has full albums I don't care to listen to.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    It's certainly overrated/overplayed. I think Getaway is a much better tune.
    Agreed. Too bad they’ve never been able to get Getaway right in a live setting. I’m not sure why though? It’s a pretty straightforward song musically but it just doesn’t translate live at all. 
    Ed keeps singing Getwaway and it fucks up the band's timing. 
    I personally way prefer Mind Your Manners. I think it's probably the best song on that whole album. Getaway isn't the worst by any means, but I find it a little bit awkward.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    Agreed. Too bad they’ve never been able to get Getaway right in a live setting. I’m not sure why though? It’s a pretty straightforward song musically but it just doesn’t translate live at all. 
    I personally way prefer Mind Your Manners. I think it's probably the best song on that whole album. Getaway isn't the worst by any means, but I find it a little bit awkward.
    my attempt at subtle humour. put LB in a car stereo, and Getaway comes up as Getwaway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    my attempt at subtle humour. put LB in a car stereo, and Getaway comes up as Getwaway. 
    I didn't even notice, lol, though i was aware of that little error. I do think Getaway sounds rough live, so...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    Both Getaway and Infallible suffer live (i.e., do not translate well). Lightning Bolt (the song), although indeed a bit cheesy, does better on stage - although it tends to take forever to end!
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    Both Getaway and Infallible suffer live (i.e., do not translate well). Lightning Bolt (the song), although indeed a bit cheesy, does better on stage - although it tends to take forever to end!
    I think LB is really good live... I don't mind the studio version either though. Infallible... I can't even remember if I heard it live or not. I do like it well enough on the album. It's not great, but it's catchy at least. I don't skip it.
  • Future Days.   An Ed solo song, not a Pearl Jam song.   
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    The guitars sound terrible live in Getaway and strangely they play it differently than the album.
    edited November 2018
    Future Days.   An Ed solo song, not a Pearl Jam song.   
    Yes, this song is awful for me. The Casio keyboards in it especially. It wouldn't be any better as an EV solo though, for me.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    something about "hitchhiker" gives me the heebie jeebies, i just dont like the way the aesthetic of that song makes me feel.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

• How has "Whale Song" not been mentioned?
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    I kind like Whale Song. I like the tone of Jack Iron's voice. And I like whales.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    The guitars sound terrible live in Getaway and strangely they play it differently than the album.
    I never understood why on live shows they don't play that guitar intro slightly palm-muted like on the record. That thing is so easy to play, and it would sound a lot better that way, but they manage to still fuck it up somehow, really strange indeed. And then maybe too much words to remember for Eddie.
    I never understood why on live shows they don't play that guitar intro slightly palm-muted like on the record. That thing is so easy to play, and it would sound a lot better that way, but they manage to still fuck it up somehow, really strange indeed. And then maybe too much words to remember for Eddie.
    lack of rehearsal maybe?
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    I love every fucking song they have 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • trees said:
    I love every fucking song they have 
    That seems like a borderline obsessive point of view. 
    "i love every fucking song they have" is rumored to be the next song they have.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    the fixer
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,766
    rummy said:
    Let me sleep, it’s Christmas time.
    Especially when it's performed in May (Toronto 2016) or August (Seattle 2018)!
    And August ( Chicago 2016).  3 times is more then enough 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited December 2018
    PJ version - SBM, fuck its painful
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    PJ version - SBM, fuck its painful
    I stumbled across this podcast from about a year ago...
    https://www.nationalreview.com/podcasts/political-beats/pearl-jam/
    ...and they (or at least one of them) was singing their praises of this song - and how the last three albums are better than Binaural and Riot Act.
    I think I've become a PJ snob and just can support these points of view.
  • I've never been a fan of listening to Low Light, but it's really fun to play on acoustic. Same with Pilate and Porch. Asides from those, I can't say that there's any PJ songs that I particularly dislike. Just depends on what mood I'm in. The nice thing about this band is that their discography is so diverse that you can find pretty much any tune for any mood.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
    I've never been a fan of listening to Low Light, but it's really fun to play on acoustic. Same with Pilate and Porch. Asides from those, I can't say that there's any PJ songs that I particularly dislike. Just depends on what mood I'm in. The nice thing about this band is that their discography is so diverse that you can find pretty much any tune for any mood.
    It's only been recently that I've been able to appreciate Low Light.
  • rummy said:
    I've never been a fan of listening to Low Light, but it's really fun to play on acoustic. Same with Pilate and Porch. Asides from those, I can't say that there's any PJ songs that I particularly dislike. Just depends on what mood I'm in. The nice thing about this band is that their discography is so diverse that you can find pretty much any tune for any mood.
    Only after i heard it live. Album version feels dull
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
    rummy said:
    Only after i heard it live. Album version feels dull
    That must be it. The "seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" at the end (for example, Edmonton 2011) really makes it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    Lowlight became my favorite Pearl Jam song after Yield came out.  It and I Got Shit fight for the title for me.