Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/border-patrol-arrests-ms-13-223833511.html

U.S. Border Patrol agents have arrested a member of the infamous Salvadoran MS-13 gang who admitted to authorities that he traveled with a caravan of Central American migrants who were hoping to qualify for asylum in America.

Agents arrested Jose Villalobos-Jobel, 29, shortly after 6 p.m. on Saturday east of the Calexico Port of Entry on the U.S. side of the border, Customs and Border Protection said in a statement Wednesday.

During questioning at the El Centro station, the Honduran citizen confessed that he is an active member of MS-13 and had intended to enter the country illegally after traveling to the U.S. with the caravan of thousands of other migrants. He is in custody pending his deportation back to Honduras.

President Trump has made MS-13 a priority in his crackdown on illegal immigration and said last month that the latest caravan, estimated to consist of as many as 7,000 people, contained MS-13 members.

“You’re going to find MS-13, you’re going to find Middle Eastern, you’re going to find everything,” he said of the caravan travelers.

Excellent. That's exactly why everyone wants people to be processed in an orderly fashion as they enter.
    This Middle Eastern thing just sounds a bit crazy to me though. It's just a strange connection/assumption. Right along with "everything", lol.
    https://cis.org/Bensman/If-Recent-Patterns-Hold-There-May-Indeed-Be-Terrorists-Inside-Border-Caravan
    “While President Trump may well have employed the prospect of terrorist infiltration as election messaging, Middle Easterners from places like Syria, Iraq, and Egypt do indeed travel the same routes as Hondurans to the U.S. southern border, and rising numbers of suspected terrorists have, in fact, been apprehended at the border or en route in recent years.”
    Kay, so let's see the photos of the caravan. Middle Easterners are visually identifiable. They don't look anything like Hondurans. This is why it seems weird to me... If they see some Middle Easterners walking along with these people, then pull them aside and check them out. Just making random assumptions with absolutely no concrete reason so make them makes no sense.

I am glad to not be the person making that call...Above are pics of Syrian and Honduran immigrants...I highly doubt they wound be advertising that they are Middle Easterners.
    I'm glad you're not either, because you're not qualified to, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

U.S. Border Patrol agents have arrested a member of the infamous Salvadoran MS-13 gang who admitted to authorities that he traveled with a caravan of Central American migrants who were hoping to qualify for asylum in America.

Agents arrested Jose Villalobos-Jobel, 29, shortly after 6 p.m. on Saturday east of the Calexico Port of Entry on the U.S. side of the border, Customs and Border Protection said in a statement Wednesday.

During questioning at the El Centro station, the Honduran citizen confessed that he is an active member of MS-13 and had intended to enter the country illegally after traveling to the U.S. with the caravan of thousands of other migrants. He is in custody pending his deportation back to Honduras.

President Trump has made MS-13 a priority in his crackdown on illegal immigration and said last month that the latest caravan, estimated to consist of as many as 7,000 people, contained MS-13 members.

“You’re going to find MS-13, you’re going to find Middle Eastern, you’re going to find everything,” he said of the caravan travelers.

Excellent. That's exactly why everyone wants people to be processed in an orderly fashion as they enter.
    This Middle Eastern thing just sounds a bit crazy to me though. It's just a strange connection/assumption. Right along with "everything", lol.
    https://cis.org/Bensman/If-Recent-Patterns-Hold-There-May-Indeed-Be-Terrorists-Inside-Border-Caravan
    “While President Trump may well have employed the prospect of terrorist infiltration as election messaging, Middle Easterners from places like Syria, Iraq, and Egypt do indeed travel the same routes as Hondurans to the U.S. southern border, and rising numbers of suspected terrorists have, in fact, been apprehended at the border or en route in recent years.”
    Kay, so let's see the photos of the caravan. Middle Easterners are visually identifiable. They don't look anything like Hondurans. This is why it seems weird to me... If they see some Middle Easterners walking along with these people, then pull them aside and check them out. Just making random assumptions with absolutely no concrete reason so make them makes no sense.

I am glad to not be the person making that call...Above are pics of Syrian and Honduran immigrants...I highly doubt they wound be advertising that they are Middle Easterners.
    Not speaking Spanish would be a good first step at identifying them?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And European soccer shirts vs American baseball shirts. BTW, I'd let that Mariner's fan in. He clearly has a long history of suffering if he's a Mariner's fan.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I speak Spanish pretty well, yet am not Hispanic...The issue is that there are thousands impatiently waiting to get through and a dire need to vet each and every one of them.  I think that any actual people that are trying to get through to do harm are the ones you see causing chaos in an effort to evade the authorities.  Genetic testing may speed things along?  That would still take time though...

edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I speak Spanish pretty well, yet am not Hispanic...The issue is that there are thousands impatiently waiting to get through and a dire need to vet each and every one of them.  I think that any actual people that are trying to get through to do harm are the ones you see causing chaos in an effort to evade the authorities.  Genetic testing may speed things along?  That would still take time though...

Wow, that is a pretty sinister suggestion, lol. Start genetically testing people to see if they are the suitable ethnicity to be processed? Are you nuts? All of the implications of that make my head spin.
    Okay folks, it's not that hard to tell Hondurans and people from the Middle East apart. :lol: Believe it or not, there are people in this world who would find this easy to do. You know, like a Honduran maybe? Just becasue we are ignorant about this, it doesn't mean it's not easy. I mean, I'm not particularly confident that I know whether someone is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or what, but I'm pretty sure people from any one of those ethnicities can easily spot the difference, both from appearance and from accents.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Wow, that is a pretty sinister suggestion, lol. Start genetically testing people to see if they are the suitable ethnicity to be processed? Are you nuts? All of the implications of that make my head spin.
    Okay folks, it's not that hard to tell Hondurans and people from the Middle East apart. :lol: Believe it or not, there are people in this world who would find this easy to do. You know, like a Honduran maybe? Just becasue we are ignorant about this, it doesn't mean it's not easy. I mean, I'm not particularly confident that I know whether someone is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or what, but I'm pretty sure people from any one of those ethnicities can easily spot the difference, both from appearance and from accents.
    Isn’t that kind of what you suggested, though, but instead of genetically testing them you are basing it off of people that “look” middle eastern...a far less accurate method?  
    I actually do not feel that their ethnicity should be *that much* of a concern, but making sure they are thoroughly processed (regardless of ethnicity) is where emphasis should be.
    Electronic photo identification matched up with all enforcement agency databases would reduce the multi time offenders fast.
    Immunizations are a must...
    Creating records next... 
    I cannot imagine the backlog this caravan alone is creating...

Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Isn’t that kind of what you suggested, though, but instead of genetically testing them you are basing it off of people that “look” middle eastern...a far less accurate method?  

Um, no. Genetic testing is a whole other ballpark because of the doors that would open legally and ethically.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And European soccer shirts vs American baseball shirts. BTW, I'd let that Mariner's fan in. He clearly has a long history of suffering if he's a Mariner's fan.
    ba GIF
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Um, no. Genetic testing is a whole other ballpark because of the doors that would open legally and ethically.
    Is there any legal precedent are you just assuming?
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Of course there are legal precedents when it comes to forcing people to submit their DNA and rejecting them for asylum based on the results. And you don't need to look anything up or assume anything to know that there are serious ethical problems with what you're suggesting.
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Of course there are legal precedent when it comes to forcing people to submit their DNA and rejecting them for asylum based on the results. And you don't need to look anything up or assume anything to know that there are serious ethical problems with what you're suggesting.
    Okay then.  Have a good weekend!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Of course there are legal precedents when it comes to forcing people to submit their DNA and rejecting them for asylum based on the results. And you don't need to look anything up or assume anything to know that there are serious ethical problems with what you're suggesting.
    That may be true, but I think there's just as many ethical and moral problems with trying to judge people's culture or racial heritage based on some random 3rd party's completely unproven guess on sight alone. Even if you consider trying to use their language comprehension, WTF? No way. Eyewitness accounts suck.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What was that again about comparisons to Nazis?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Gosh.
    The coverage and rhetoric from the president seemed to have died down again since the special election on Tuesday. This is pretty consistent with what happened after 11/6.

I wonder what happened....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That may be true, but I think there's just as many ethical and moral problems with trying to judge people's culture or racial heritage based on some random 3rd party's completely unproven guess on sight alone. Even if you consider trying to use their language comprehension, WTF? No way. Eyewitness accounts suck.
    Er, no, there is nothing wrong with looking at someone or hearing their accent while they're being processed at a country's border and saying, "Hey, you're not Honduran", and going from there, lol. No moral issues there whatsoever. And we're not talking about random 3rd parties, lol. We're talking about officials at the border who could be processing these people as they enter the US. You thought I was talking about some stranger standing on the side of road, taking it upon himself to identify everyone's racial and ethnic origins? :lol: Obviously during processing they need to know where these people came from specifically. If someone is Middle Eastern they're going to be asking how they came to be walking in that caravan.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Er, no, there is nothing wrong with looking at someone or hearing their accent while they're being processed at a country's border and saying, "Hey, you're not Honduran", and going from there, lol. No moral issues there whatsoever. And we're not talking about random 3rd parties, lol. We're talking about officials at the border who could be processing these people as they enter the US. You thought I was talking about some stranger standing on the side of road, taking it upon himself to identify everyone's racial and ethnic origins? :lol: Obviously during processing they need to know where these people came from specifically. If someone is Middle Eastern they're going to be asking how they came to be walking in that caravan.
    No, I didn't mean a stranger. My point was, what qualifies someone as an expert to identify the origin of another human. I'm an American, but that doesn't mean I can 100% identify other Americans. I thought it seemed fairly obvious what the issues would be, but you make it sound like what I am saying is completely ridiculous.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Wait, where did I say anything about rejecting them for asylum?  Is that what you were eluding to in reference to visual identification?  I couldn’t care less about their actual ethnicity in regards to rejecting or approving asylum, but it may show who needs to be vetted more, just like I thought you meant with visual identification ...or are you saying that if they look Middle Eastern then reject them????
    I am not on board with that...for the record.
    DNA cheek swabs are also a good idea in that it could be run through the criminal DNA databank as another vetting measure, though.

edited November 2018
    I think you know that I would never think that anyone who looks Middle Eastern should be rejected for being Middle Eastern, lol, wtf. Okay, what I am saying is that IF a DNA test came back saying they're Middle Eastern, and IF they then end up being rejected (which they certainly would be, if they tried to pretend they're not Middle Eastern, right??), that could potentially open a can of worms for all kinds of legal reasons, and create ethical questions. What I AM saying is that someone who can actually generally be trusted to most likely tell the difference between Hondurans and Middle Easterners could identify them as such so that those doing the processing can ask the appropriate questions during a vetting process that involves a hell of a lot more than trying to figure out who is Middle Eastern just in case they're jihadist terrorists, lmao. But again, if someone is trying to get in saying they're from Honduras when they're actually from, say, Iran or SA or Syria, then they're not getting through the vetting process anyhow. Get it? Testing the DNA of the entire caravan just to find out who is Middle Eastern is, frankly, a completely insane idea. Since when were asylum seekers expected to be treated like criminals? These people should not be subjected to anything that all other asylum seekers have been. They are no different than all the others. Just because Trump is talking like this particular group of people are invaders or some kind of enemy it doesn't mean it's true.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Its a lot easier if people dont use the quote function in this forum once it's past one comment, in my opinion 
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    Its a lot easier if people dont use the quote function in this forum once it's past one comment, in my opinion 
    That wouldn't work in a lot of cases...
    edited November 2018
    Works for me :)
    Gilligan's Island?
    my2hands said:
    I guess they aren’t the greatest country in the world either...I’ll check them off the list.
    edited December 2018
    Aside from the Earthquake/Tsunami probs, my vote is for Japan, lol.
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, Japan is up there...If it weren’t for that damn nuclear meltdown.  New Zealand is at the top of my list!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Some invasion. I hardly see any coverage of this anymore. Crazy. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Exactly so why has this administration dragged it's feet on putting more judges & personell that can do the job , why don't you call out the baffoon in charge and you couln't identify a Honduran from syrian if they were stepping on you ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ_Soul said:
    The people are so nice: polite, respectful, unintrusive.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited December 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Exactly so why has this administration dragged it's feet on putting more judges & personell that can do the job , why don't you call out the baffoon in charge and you couln't identify a Honduran from syrian if they were stepping on you ....
    Um, this was a problem well before the current administration adopted it and has been getting closer and closer to a boiling point for years. Maybe if cities in the US stopped advertising as “sanctuaries”?  And you are right, if a Syrian was speaking Spanish...could you tell they were not Honduran?