Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Always, ever, since LB came out, the answer is only one for me: Sirens.
    I love PJ with all my heart, and with time I even came to appreciate songs I kind of really hated at first (Supersonic in particular, I love it now, but also Olé). Some songs are also not the best, but I can find positive or good things in them too.. for example, I agree with the person above that said Severed Hand sounds kind of forced (like, yeah, let's rock with a very cheap and average riff), but lyrics are interesting, solo at the end is great, I like the melody of the vocals, so as a whole it's good.
    But Sirens.. if a god existed, he/she would know how much I wish they'd never wrote that song. Can't really save anything from it.
    I disagree about Severed Hand...that's not forced at all.

Sirens is painful
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    My bottom five:

Evil Goat - wish they hadn't played this live; don't need to acknowledge every song ever, ugh

Bee girl - good with original intention, nowhere near a good enough song to still be playing it. Write something new and quality if you went that vibe in the set...

Let Records Play - lame

Leash - decent, not great when I was 14, immature and crap as an adult. Dump it already.

Last Kiss - same as Bee Girl. Fine with original inspiration. Appreciate it was a success on their terms. But it's the song I never want to hear live.

Besides that, Happy Thanksgiving. I'm off to buy some boots!
    agreed on Leash....that one never did much for me and it has always surprised me how some people really want to hear it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Albums 1-6 :    Nothing I hate
    Riot Act:   Ghost, Get Right, 1/2 Full, Cropduster
    Avocodo:   nothing
    Backspacer:   Gonna see my friend, Johnny Guitar, Speed of Sound......Loved Unthought Known when it came out; can't stand it now
    Lighting Bolt:   My Fathers Son, Swallowed Whole, Let the records Play, Sleeping By myself, Yellow Moon

10 albums and I only dislike 13 songs is pretty amazing.   

Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited November 2018
    PJNB said:

Ten - none
    VS - none
    Vitalogy - Bugs plus all of that experimental crap that no one listens to
    No Code - Mankind. Just not a good song and I enjoy Don't Gimme No Lip a lot so its not because it is Stone.
    Yield - none
    Binaural - Evacuation. Parts of this song are just ok while others are unlistenable. 
    Riot Act - Cropduster. Just not a good song imo and a set killer at the shows I have seen with it there.
    Avocado -  Big Wave. One of the worse chorus's they have "Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave"
    Backspacer - The album with the most duds imo. Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Just Breathe, Supersonic,The End
    Lightning Bolt - My Fathers Son, Let the Records Play, Sleeping By Myself, Future Days are all duds. 

Only picking 15 songs over 10 albums is a pretty good track record if you ask me. The last two albums I picked over half on one and almost half on the other. I am really hoping the next album is more solid. 
    I like your format...but My Father's Son is great...the first 20 seconds sound like they needed another take, but after that, it's solid and it's one of their best hooks.  I also really like Big Wave.

But, to use this format...songs on the ten albums up for consideration:
    Ten - none
    VS - none
    Vitalogy - Bugs and Stupid Mop
    No Code - none
    Yield - none
    Binaural - Evacuation. Parts of this song are just ok while others are unlistenable. 
    Riot Act - Arc. I know what it represents and means to Eddie/band.  But it's just not palatable to the ears.
    Avocado -  Come back.  Sooooo boring.
    Backspacer - Johnny Guitar
    Lightning Bolt - Sleeping By Myself

Of all the "A-sides" that are actually "songs" (i.e., not the weird stuff from Vitalogy or Arc), I think Johnny Guitar wins.  

Several B-sides are worse than these: Evil Little Goat, Leatherman, etc.  Fun Fact: I don't think I've ever actually heard Ole.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rummy said:
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens
    The End

These are the only PJ songs in the entire catalog that I don’t like. 
    I feel that I've asked this question before but I'm just wondering if you've always disliked YLB or do you feel that it's just been "played out" - especially as a closer - for quite some time now?
    Just curious.
    I didn't mind it until I heard it live.  What a shit show.  Just 4 minutes of Ed going "Wayside, wayside letter, front side, wayside letter, box or a bag, potato wave" over and over.  It's dumb.  He doesn't know the lyrics and it just makes the whole song seem flubbed.  Even if he did know the lyrics, at this point yes I think it is simply played out as a show closer.  And if the point is for "Mike to melt my face off" (hate that expression, btw) then just let him solo the Banner after whatever song (not Ledbetter) closes the show.
    And speaking of things that have run their course concert wise, ending every first and second set of every show with Porch and RVM is played out as well.  Dig the songs, but setlist structure has gotten very predictable.  I realize that's not much to bitch about considering most bands play the same set every single night but I do miss those songs being in random places throughout the set, and I miss other songs closing out the early sets.
  • I either threw in my two cents on another thread about this or pondered this heavily in the past but here are the only PJ original songs I will consistently skip:
    Sweet Lew, Dirty Frank, Sleeping By Myself, Johnny Guitar (although if I can just hang in until the 2 min. mark or so it gets better), and Infallible. 
    Gremmie Out of Control .....  yikes that’s bad.

Side Note: I like the studio version of My Father’s Son but it does not sound great live which probably explains why they have shelved it. 

Gremmie?! Bad?! What?! :o
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    rummy said:
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens
    The End

I feel that I've asked this question before but I'm just wondering if you've always disliked YLB or do you feel that it's just been "played out" - especially as a closer - for quite some time now?
    Just curious.
    I didn't mind it until I heard it live.  What a shit show.  Just 4 minutes of Ed going "Wayside, wayside letter, front side, wayside letter, box or a bag, potato wave" over and over.  It's dumb.  He doesn't know the lyrics and it just makes the whole song seem flubbed.  Even if he did know the lyrics, at this point yes I think it is simply played out as a show closer.  And if the point is for "Mike to melt my face off" (hate that expression, btw) then just let him solo the Banner after whatever song (not Ledbetter) closes the show.
    And speaking of things that have run their course concert wise, ending every first and second set of every show with Porch and RVM is played out as well.  Dig the songs, but setlist structure has gotten very predictable.  I realize that's not much to bitch about considering most bands play the same set every single night but I do miss those songs being in random places throughout the set, and I miss other songs closing out the early sets.
    If I had to make a complaints about the two Seattle show, it would indeed about how they closed main sets/encores with Porch, RVM, and YLB (and the positioning of Alive). I pretty sure a good number of people were there for both nights so why not sneak in something like Blood, Last Exit, Hail Hail, or Animal instead. At the every least, end with Indifference one of the nights.

Back on topic...I omit b-sides from these kinds of lists (or at least the non-album tracks that weren't officially released). Yes, a song like Sweet Lew is pretty bad but it was somewhat of a "gift" when it was included on Lost Dogs (although I guess you did pay for it if you bought the album).
  • rummy said:
    rummy said:
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens
    The End

Just curious.
    If I had to make a complaints about the two Seattle show, it would indeed about how they closed main sets/encores with Porch, RVM, and YLB (and the positioning of Alive). I pretty sure a good number of people were there for both nights so why not sneak in something like Blood, Last Exit, Hail Hail, or Animal instead. At the every least, end with Indifference one of the nights.

Back on topic...I omit b-sides from these kinds of lists (or at least the non-album tracks that weren't officially released). Yes, a song like Sweet Lew is pretty bad but it was somewhat of a "gift" when it was included on Lost Dogs (although I guess you did pay for it if you bought the album).
    Olé then? A one-off thing relesead for free.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

"With Arms Wide Open"

Definitely worst song ever...

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Jbarker said:

"With Arms Wide Open"

Definitely worst song ever...

that's actually a nice song.
    i kind of remember the band (or maybe just Eddie) being stoked about the song "Gone" back in the day.   me, not so much.  probably worst song on Avocado.
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens
    The End

Just curious.

Olé then? A one-off thing relesead for free.
    would have been forgivable if LB was a stand out.  it was not.
  • vaggar99 said:
    i kind of remember the band (or maybe just Eddie) being stoked about the song "Gone" back in the day.   me, not so much.  probably worst song on Avocado.
    This whole board was creaming after Ed debuted the song live at a PJ show. The arrangement on the album is just modern BOB/Ed nonsense. It starts slow, tries to be anthemic, while relying on cheap and cliche lyrics. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Pap said:
    Game over, because someone said Leatherman? ;) 
    Let's end this farce also.

LEATHERMAN
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited November 2018
    Let me sleep, it’s Christmas time.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Especially when it's performed in May (Toronto 2016) or August (Seattle 2018)!
  • Malroth said:
    Pap said:
    Game over, because someone said Leatherman? ;) 
    Let's end this farce also.

LEATHERMAN
    You don't fool me. You're ALWAYS on my side. And you love Sirens as well. You study your wife's face. ;)
  • troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    KN219077 said:
    I can’t believe it took this many posts....Ole!
    Agreed - 100% worst
  • EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Thank goodness they don't play Ole live.  
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    vaggar99 said:
    Reported
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Where are the votes for Dirty Frank? The song blows. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Where are the votes for Dirty Frank? The song blows. 
    Dirty Frank is an example of why I loved the band so much.  This was the band when it loved being a band and playing music.  Even a throaway type of song like this has great funny lyrics that to me make it special.
  • I think the most recent songs problem is over produced
    take Speed of Sound for example
    the demo sounds so much better
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
    I think the most recent songs problem is over produced
    take Speed of Sound for example
    the demo sounds so much better
    see i really like SoS.  I know i'm in the minority here.  but, i thought it was something a bit different from Eddie.  has the down, up, down, up kind of thing going and it works.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Thank goodness they don't play Ole live.  
    they did in Canada in 2011. It was actually pretty good. I would imagine it went over like gangbusters in SA. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Sirens,U,Sweet Lew or Last Kiss
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I honestly don't get the hate for Ole'.  Sure, it's not their greatest song ever but it's not that bad.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Anyway, I'm a bigger fan than any of you folks (*sarcasm, in case you have the Sheldon Cooper problem)..
    Really, the only thing this band did that I truly don't like is Sirens (even the song title is bad, man).. All the rest varies from acceptable (just a couple of songs maybe) to good to really good to amazing/masterpiece. I think it's because I put things in perspective, Olé was a free thing just before the SA tour in 2011, Sweet Lew is where it belongs in a compilation of outtakes and stuff.. I appreciate 'em for what they are. Try to listen to the bass lines in Sweet Lew (especially the chorus), they're.. Well, sweet.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

rummy said:
    Especially when it's performed in May (Toronto 2016) or August (Seattle 2018)!
    Yeah, I really don't get that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018

Anyway, I'm a bigger fan than any of you folks (*sarcasm, in case you have the Sheldon Cooper problem)..
    Really, the only thing this band did that I truly don't like is Sirens (even the song title is bad, man).. All the rest varies from acceptable (just a couple of songs maybe) to good to really good to amazing/masterpiece. I think it's because I put things in perspective, Olé was a free thing just before the SA tour in 2011, Sweet Lew is where it belongs in a compilation of outtakes and stuff.. I appreciate 'em for what they are. Try to listen to the bass lines in Sweet Lew (especially the chorus), they're.. Well, sweet.
    The one and only thing that makes Sweet Lew bad is Jeff's vocals, lol. But they make it REALLY bad, and not even in a funny way. ;) I personally would really enjoy the fun of them using a basketball as an instrument, if only the vocals didn't make me cringe, haha.
    But anyway, I just figure a bad song is a bad song. Whether it's on a studio album or on Lost Dogs or performed live only or is just on a holiday single, it makes no difference to me when considering whether or not I like it. But sure, the "importance" of the sentiment is affected by that factor.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata