Options

Ohio considers bill that will ban abortion — with death penalty as possible punishment

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    So pro-life they’ll kill you. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    From the article:  Brigitte Amiri, with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Reproductive Freedom Project, said there hasn’t been any real movement on the bill and it is unlikely to pass in the House. She said the legislation seems to be more of a “distraction” from another abortion bill that was passed last week by Ohio’s House of Representatives. It would ban abortions after six weeks.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Well if having an abortion is considered murder...and the state has capitol punishment...it seems like a logical potential.

Now should the law be in place to begin with? I’ll have to read more. I feel kinda stuck in this abortion debate based on my personal beliefs. Cause I wish we had 0 abortions.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2018
    Let's just hope they don't do retroactive charges, because I bet a WHOLE LOT of these anti-abortion/pro-death assholes would lose their own loved ones to capital punishment if they did, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Well if having an abortion is considered murder...and the state has capitol punishment...it seems like a logical potential.

Now should the law be in place to begin with? I’ll have to read more. I feel kinda stuck in this abortion debate based on my personal beliefs. Cause I wish we had 0 abortions.
    If you want 0 abortions you'll have to accept the end of the human race, because the only thing that would result in that number would be for either all women or all men to become sterile.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Keep it legal, affordable, safe, and on demand 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    We will never have zero abortions. Better to provide good sex ed, barrier free access to contraception and safe abortions where necessary and desired. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    We will never have zero abortions. Better to provide good sex ed, barrier free access to contraception and safe abortions where necessary and desired. 
    What  you said
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    This law was specifically written to push the issue to the Supreme Court. 

I don't think it will have the intended outcome pro-lifers hope it will.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    CM189191 said:

You mean you think the SCOTUS will knock it down once it reaches them (not the capital punishment part - that's fucking stupid and is obviously never going to happen. But the abortion ban part)?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

You mean you think the SCOTUS will knock it down once it reaches them (not the capital punishment part - that's fucking stupid. But the abortion ban part)?
    If it gets that far
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

You mean you think the SCOTUS will knock it down once it reaches them (not the capital punishment part - that's fucking stupid. But the abortion ban part)?
    If it gets that far
    I would like to think that, because that is literally the only conclusion SCOTUS judges who are actually doing the job they're supposed to do could come to... but I don't know...
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254

Or as Obama said, abortions should be safe, legal, and rare. I'm all on board with efforts to reduce the need for abortions as much as possible -- preventing unwanted pregnancies.

I say that as a mother, specifically a mother who had to face the medical decision to terminate a pregnancy or carry the baby to term. I chose to keep the baby -- and it was a choice, and it was my choice, which is at it should be.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Sounds so simplified and wrong everytime you include this part. Again, this death penalty suggestion is absurd. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Sounds so simplified and wrong everytime you include this part. Again, this death penalty suggestion is absurd. 
    Why is it wrong? If a woman had made a decision to get an abortion, why should she have to go through artificial hoops?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Why is it wrong? If a woman had made a decision to get an abortion, why should she have to go through artificial hoops?
    Agreed. As far as I can tell, not doing it "on demand" is simply a bad system doing its best to slow the process to the detriment of the patient.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    PJ_Soul said:

If you want 0 abortions you'll have to accept the end of the human race, because the only thing that would result in that number would be for either all women or all men to become sterile.
    I don't understand this post.  care to elaborate?  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Summary: As long as humans fuck, we will have abortions
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254

I think it's a matter of wording. "On demand" makes it sound like a leisure activity or a substitute for contraception in our minds. We have HBO "On Demand," which is ours at the push of a button. It sounds casual and thoughtless and effortless.

So the phrasing makes it sound like women can go to a drive-through and order an abortion with their venti mochas, when actually what I think is meant by the phrase is "without a 24-hour waiting period, without a transvaginal ultrasound, without parental or spousal consent, and without public shaming."
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    So pro-life they’ll kill you. 
    about as succinctly as could be put. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, as long as they are able to procreate, anyway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
    #haventseenthat
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
    #haventseenthat
    #theyarebooks :lol:;) Have you not read The Handmaid's Tale?! I thought that was actually required reading for all Canadians in high school. It is certainly one of the most important Canadian books of all time. And it's one of my favorite books of all time in any case, by one of the greatest authors of all time - I love Atwood so much! The show is fucking fantastic too - well worth watching. Only the entire first season is from the book (and it's a very good adaptation - Margaret Atwood is heavily involved). After the first season, the story continues the story beyond the book... which is, amazingly, wonderful. I am so happy to have the story proceed, and to get more detail about the circumstances leading up to the dystopian society.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
    #haventseenthat
    #theyarebooks :lol:;) Have you not read The Handmaid's Tale?! I thought that was actually required reading for all Canadians in high school. It is certainly one of the most important Canadian books of all time. And it's one of my favorite books of all time in any case, by one of the greatest authors of all time - I love Atwood so much! The show is fucking fantastic too - well worth watching. Only the entire first season is from the book (and it's a very good adaptation - Margaret Atwood is heavily involved). After the first season, the story continues the story beyond the book... which is, amazingly, wonderful. I am so happy to have the story proceed, and to get more detail about the circumstances leading up to the dystopian society.
    it wasn't. I hadn't even heard of it until I heard buzz about the show. I'm not a big reader of fiction. I prefer non-. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    What a great show.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    What a great show.
    Meh. Highly overrated IMO. The book is way better, and even that isn't great IMO.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
    #haventseenthat
    it wasn't. I hadn't even heard of it until I heard buzz about the show. I'm not a big reader of fiction. I prefer non-. 
    You should give it a shot even if it's just to get an important piece of true Canadiana into you head, not to mention current pop culture. The story is considered relevant to today's issues in many ways. I bet you'll like it. And it's not very long, lol. And the show... also very relevant to today's political atmosphere. A strong message of warning.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    fife said:
    PJ_Soul said:

#childrenofmen
    #thehandmaidstale
    #haventseenthat
    You should give it a shot even if it's just to get an important piece of true Canadiana into you head, not to mention current pop culture. The story is considered relevant to today's issues in many ways. I bet you'll like it. And it's not very long, lol. And the show... also very relevant to today's political atmosphere. A strong message of warning.
    nice little shot at my attention span, there, total asshole.  =)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com