Camp Fire-How to help CA fire victims

jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
edited November 2018 in Vitalogy
I just wanted to share info on ways to help the fire here in Northern CA if anyone is interested.  Anyone from Paradise area please feel free to share additional links/resources on ways to help!  I am copy and pasting all this info from a friend in Paradise area:

HELP #CampFire Evacuees/Refugees

Our community needs help. We are banding together, but we need more help outside our community. This is the WORST wildfire disaster in California's history. We have a refugee crisis in Butte County.

Paradise, CA has been wiped off the map. 95% of the town is showing as burnt to the ground in less than 48 hours.

"Staggering new numbers were released: 6,453 homes, 260 commercial buildings and 90,000 acres burned. The fire is only 5 percent contained. At least nine people died." - Chico ER

Our friends and their families have also lost their homes, their friends and families have also lost theirs. Families are scattered, housed in evacuation centers, staying with friends/family in Chico, CA and other surrounding cities, sleeping in parking lots in their cars if they even have a car.

52,000 people evacuated off the ridge. So many homes and businesses have been obliterated. These families, seniors, and convalescents are refugees now. There is no home to return to once the inferno stops raging.

Some families were able to get out with a few pairs of clothes and their pets, others have NOTHING.

We need hands, we need water, we need food, we need clothes, we need numerous N95 & P100 masks.

We need toilet paper, diapers, wet wipes, first aid supplies, etc. Anything, everything.

Please help us, help our community. It's easy to say, "It's not me, I have my own family to take care of," but remember you have SOMETHING these folks are just like you, but they have NOTHING and NOTHING to return to. ANYTHING WILL HELP.

~~~~

UPDATE 11/10/2018 11:05PM

Shelter Update: The Glenn County Fairgrounds (221 E. Yolo Street, Orland) is open to evacuees. People can also go to the Yuba Sutter Fairgrounds (442 Franklin Ave, Yuba City). #CampFire

Evacuees in need of supplies can now pick up items at the Hope Center in Oroville (1950 Kitrick Ave A, Oroville, CA 95966).

Donation Needs Update: Needed items include paper products (toilet paper, forks, spoons, paper plates, tissues, paper towels), and women's undergarments, as well as warm clothes and shoes.

Donated items should be dropped off at the Oroville Municipal Auditorium (1200 Myers Street, Oroville). People needing supplies should still go to the Hope Center on Kitrick Ave. #CampFire @Cal_OESButte County, CA.

~~~~

How to Help Wild Fire Refugees:

Donate to Schools: https://t.co/W48KXP4ASk More info: http://ow.ly/d/84ek

Volunteer

WE NEED N95 & P100 MASKS

Evacuation Center/Shelter Info

Missing Family Report/Find
Community Updated Google Doc
CrowdSourceRescue
www.crowdsourcerescue.com/camp-fire

Animal Rescue
North Valley Animal Disaster Group: (530) 895-0000

Cowboy911

Latest News

Photos of the Destruction

Facebook Groups

Camp Fire Butte County Resource Group #CampFire - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=251365328889228
CAMP FIRE - PARADISE CA Information & Photos Group - www.facebook.com/groups/2134335143278417/
CAMP FIRE Paradise Ca Area LOST FOUND ANIMALS - www.facebook.com/groups/328735554607757/
Campfire Cats LOST ONLY POSTS - www.facebook.com/groups/2030941173639940/
Camp Fire Pet Rescue and Reunification - www.facebook.com/groups/CampFirePetRescueAndReunification/
Camp Fire 2018 - www.facebook.com/groups/228268377844332/

More Info:
IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
*** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
2020 - Ohana Fest
2021 - Ohana Fest
2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
Post edited by jacquelynca on

Comments

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Thank you for posting these, jacquelynca
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Thank you @jacquelynca

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    This is all heartbreaking to see. And the horror of escaping the fires - my god. And the people lost; I find it hard to imagine what it was like for them. And all these poor animals too. Just awful.
    The world is paying attention - I'm sure a lot of aid is on its way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    It is absolutely heart wrenching.  I am 2 hours away from Paradise, the air quality has been awful but i am not complaining...my heart is with all affected.  We have a couple drop off locations here in town for donations.  This is the deadliest fire in CA history.  
    Right now they are asking for gift card donations (Walmart, visa gift card) and below was posted recently on updated donations needed, again if u are local and looking to hold a donation drive.  

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

edited November 2018

Just sharing as i did know know this.  My family and i are all staying indoors and investing in P99 masks.  School is cancelled in our area. I have friends all the way up in Portland and the smoke has traveled up there and their air quality is bad as well.  Check your air quality, stay safe!  

As for the fire i think the best place to donate is Red Cross.  If you are local they are mostly asking for gift cards to Walmart, visa gift cards etc.  

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

Stay indoors and rock out (staying positive)

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

edited November 2018
    Lots of ways to help/donate in this article 

http://www.7x7.com/help-camp-fire-victims-2619801185.html

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

Last time i post today...I’m inside and a little stir crazy.  I believe in the power of prayer, good thoughts, positive vibes and energy.  Please join me in sending whatever you got to our evacuees, those now homeless, our fire fighters, our animals wild and domesticated.  May all be protected and feel our love and energy.  And please God send us rain.  Love and light to you all <3

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

Please share far and wide on social media, you may have friends or acquaintances in the Paradise area! 

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    The President is in Chico and Paradise today talking about Sweden and how they deal with forests. Hopefully he does some good while he is there.  Just saw that the death toll is at 71 and missing is 1,011. This is absolutely a humanitarian crisis. Sending healing comforting energy from the east to the west coast. I wish I was able to physically help. 

Please stay safe!! Great that you are wearing your masks. 

There are two places that the mayor of Paradise or Chico keeps mentioning and I will post it when I next hear it. All donations  go straight to the survivors/victims of the Camp Fire  with no money going to management/ad people, etc..

I can't imagine how horrible this is for all who are dealing with it. My heart breaks for those who lost their life trying to flee. Just so sad. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
    edited November 2018
    I have lived in northern CA my whole life (37 years) and both my parents also grew up here. What we are seeing now is nothing we’ve ever seen or experienced before...this is climate change. This is not as simple as we should have been “raking” and i don’t know why he is talking about Finland..we have completely different climates. There are people missing, people who’ve lost everything, animals displaced, etc and he is blaming us telling us he’ll withhold federal funding on Twitter.  So no, he has not done any good which is u fortunate :-/

The goodness of others, however has been coming out in full force and that warms my heart.  I have a few friends who have lost their homes but thank god they are safe.  Now it’s dealing with insurance etc. and luckily they have family in neighboring towns they can stay with.  Here is a link from the town of paradise for donations https://paradiserecovers.org/giving
    Seriously the overwhelming response from others to step in and help around here has been amazing.  I hope in continues.  <3

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

glad you are safe and your friends and family are unharmed. Losing your home and possessions must be awful, I'm glad they have places to stay and are insured. I feel so badly for the people in Paradise and elsewhere who were not insured and thought they had found an affordable place to live/retire. Heartbreaking.

Trump wants to have logging increase, he wants that included in his farm bill (where he is giving money to the people he screwed with is tariffs). So all this talk of raking and clearing of forests is, I believe, his way of justifying something that California does not want. He is just embarrassing. His refusal to concede that climate change exists is frightening, as is his removal of the US from the Paris Accord. 

I pray that he is stopped somehow before he causes more damage, and on a global level. 

Continued positive energy going out to you. 

Thank a farmer <3

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

njnancy said:
    glad you are safe and your friends and family are unharmed. Losing your home and possessions must be awful, I'm glad they have places to stay and are insured. I feel so badly for the people in Paradise and elsewhere who were not insured and thought they had found an affordable place to live/retire. Heartbreaking.

Trump wants to have logging increase, he wants that included in his farm bill (where he is giving money to the people he screwed with is tariffs). So all this talk of raking and clearing of forests is, I believe, his way of justifying something that California does not want. He is just embarrassing. His refusal to concede that climate change exists is frightening, as is his removal of the US from the Paris Accord. 

I pray that he is stopped somehow before he causes more damage, and on a global level. 

Lots of love to you as well.  I really believe in the power of positive energy/prayer/good vibes and I’m sending them all to those affected including animals which is just so heart wrenching to see...both domestic and wildlife suffering :-(. 

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    njnancy said:

I've posted this photo elsewhere but I'll post it again here.  This is a photo from before the Camp Fire taken from space of a forested areas just a bit higher up than Paradise and Magalia:

All of those tan spots are small clear cuts.  The ideas that we need to do "more cutting" or simply "rake the forests" are ill-informed.  The four causes of the catastrophic fires in California are:

1. Urban-wildland interface.  Too many people have moved into and build upon forested lands, placing themselves in greater danger of becoming victims of fires.
    2.  A century of fire suppression.  The west spent 100 years actively putting out natural fires that used to help keep lower growing vegetation down which helps reduce the "fire ladder".  These smaller, more frequent fires also are good for plants and trees like manzanita and redwoods that rely on fire to propagate.
    3.  Human carelessness.  Anything from unsafe campfires to driving across dry grass with a car that has a catalytic converter.
    4.  Climate change/ global warming.  Longer droughts and hotter temperatures increase fire hazards.

I would hope our president and other politicians would take time to learn a lot more about the subject before they start tweeting about things of which they know and understand little.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

For every #retweet4good united way will donate $1 up to 1 million dollars

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

edited November 2018
    There are a lot of people doing really good things. And many families that are suffering in many different ways and first responders that are unbelievably dedicated and doing/seeing some horrible things. it's amazing how a catastrophe can bring out the best in most people. The woman handing out masks to the farm workers - that really got to me. 

I'm glad that you are doing well Jacquelyn and thank you for that picture and information Brian. People should really educate themselves esp when they are the President of a large country and can't even get the name of the devastated community correct. He is an embarrassment and it is so evident that he is woefully incapable of handling the position to which he has been elected . He has no mental curiosity. He doesn't care. 

Thankfully there are so many other people who do care and who do know what they are doing. Thankfully.

If you are on twitter please retweet!!! $1 for every retweet, ends tomorrow!

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

Will do. 
    njnancy said:

Will do. 
    Thank you! Xo

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

edited November 2018

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

Just checking in to see how you and your family/friends are doing. 
    njnancy said:
    Just checking in to see how you and your family/friends are doing. 
    You are so sweet <3. It rained the day before thanksgiving and blew all the bad air away, we had a lot to be thankful for!  I am down in the Bay Area so only the terrible air quality affected us.  Never seen anything like it, everyone walking around in p95 masks.

Our friends who lost their homes have just been dealing w insurance and luckily they all have family nearby to stay with.  They are in good spirits and staying positive.  When something like this happens it really puts things into perspective on what is really important...happy to be alive and have gotten out of there!  

be on the look out for Resilience IPA!  Over 1000 breweries around the world have joined Sierra Nevada and 100% of the proceeds will go to support Butte County...an easy watly to help!  

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    For those unaware- Stephanie Isham- A long time Pearl Jam Fan and ten club member has lost her house in this fire. She is currently living on a friend's couch. (She gets to stay in their son's room when he goes back to college). She has posted photos of the scorched ground that used to be everything she owned. She's already lost people this year, and then discovered some heart issues after the fact. So she's having a shit year. IF you want to send her any PJ swag or anything. DM me for her address. She could use anything... Her shirt size is 3xl, and I'm sending her copies of boots, cds and some stickers folks her gave me for my wheelchair.  I emailed tenclub hoping they could offer her something as well. But she's in need.. and if you're going to donate to help- think of one of ours, please. 

Cathe
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
    ratmando said:
    For those unaware- Stephanie Isham- A long time Pearl Jam Fan and ten club member has lost her house in this fire. She is currently living on a friend's couch. (She gets to stay in their son's room when he goes back to college). She has posted photos of the scorched ground that used to be everything she owned. She's already lost people this year, and then discovered some heart issues after the fact. So she's having a shit year. IF you want to send her any PJ swag or anything. DM me for her address. She could use anything... Her shirt size is 3xl, and I'm sending her copies of boots, cds and some stickers folks her gave me for my wheelchair.  I emailed tenclub hoping they could offer her something as well. But she's in need.. and if you're going to donate to help- think of one of ours, please. 

Cathe
    Thank you for posting this.  I’m so sorry to hear this, i hope we can rally together and bring her some happiness.

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1orQSkzSQn2r2tsFLIgtPa8TQ7IM8X4cd&ll=38.96615484884259%2C-101.03876862914251&z=2

Resilience IPA is being poured in taprooms all over the country starting Thursday 12-20.  You can click on the link above to find a taproom near you.  100% of the proceeds will help camp fire victims #buttestrong 

cheers!

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2