Your 3 all-time favourite songs (other than PJ)

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited November 2018
    The Lost Art of Keeping A Secret - QOTSA
    Bang a Gong - The Power Station
    Remedy - The Black Crowes

It's a hopeless situation...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    tbergs said:

I love Lost Art!  Nice call.  
    Last Night - Traveling Wilburys (take your pick of any Wilbury song)
    Hang on Sloopy - The McCoys 
    So What - Miles Davis
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    “Drift Away,” Dobie Gray
    “Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day,” Jethro Tull
    “16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought-Six,” Tom Waits

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    dankind said:
    “Drift Away,” Dobie Gray

I already chose Skating Away so pick another Tull song, Ali loves them. :wink:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    “Drift Away,” Dobie Gray

I already chose Skating Away so pick another Tull song, Ali loves them. :wink:
    Noooon't! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    “To Cry You a Song”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    “To Cry You a Song”
    Nice! Benefit doesn't get enough love!!
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    “To Cry You a Song”
    Sossity was in the running for my daughter’s name. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    This is too hard....
    And it probably could change except for SLTS, that'll always be in my top 3.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
    Mind Games - John Lennon
    Dogs - Pink Floyd
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Psycho Killer - Talking Heads (I credit The Americans TV show for getting me hooked on this song and band)
    Seven Devils - Florence + The Machine (Her SNL performance sold me)
    Lost In My Mind - The Head and the Heart (Their debut album is amazing)

It's a hopeless situation...
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited November 2018
    njnancy said: That's a song right there. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXU-X0-Vkc
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    dankind said: “16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought-Six,” Tom Waits
    Great! :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

I love Lost Art!  Nice call.  
    +1, one of my favorites as well!
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    “To Cry You a Song”
    Sossity was in the running for my daughter’s name. 
    That would have been such a pretty choice. So did you go with Cross Eyed Mary or Warchild? :wink:
    Grace, after my grandmother and great-great grandmother. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I like that one. :smile:
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Back from the Black- Ramallah
    Bob- Nofx
    Fix You Up- onward etc (now aage birch)
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    dankind said:
    Do you mean by Jeff Buckley?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Malroth said:
    Back from the Black- Ramallah
    Bob- Nofx
    Fix You Up- onward etc (now aage birch)
    I can't find that on Spotify.
    This is too hard....
    And it probably could change except for SLTS, that'll always be in my top 3.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
    Mind Games - John Lennon
    Dogs - Pink Floyd
    Great songs. Dogs was already on the list. :)
    I like opining, but don't use Spotify.  Do you have a Third Man Vault membership?  We get dirt cheap Tidal MQA memberships with that.  I'm going to start using it because MQA is supposedly amazing sounding.  
    mrussel1 said:
    I like opining, but don't use Spotify.  Do you have a Third Man Vault membership?  We get dirt cheap Tidal MQA memberships with that.  I'm going to start using it because MQA is supposedly amazing sounding.  
    If you just register you can access this playlist and any other public one for free, FYI. Not saying you want to, but just mentioning in case you weren't aware of that.
    I go on and off the TMR vault membership, depending on the Vault. But even if I didn't, I'm in LOVE with Spotify. I'd never trade it for anything else at this point. Especially not since I've got about 15,000 songs in my library/library spillover lists already, with several more every week, and a pile of playlists, and am following probably 200 artists on it. I'm in for life now, lol. I just have to pray that Spotify never goes away. :tongue:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    If you just register you can access this playlist and any other public one for free, FYI. Not saying you want to, but just mentioning in case you weren't aware of that.
    I go on and off the TMR vault membership, depending on the Vault. But even if I didn't, I'm in LOVE with Spotify. I'd never trade it for anything else at this point. Especially not since I've got about 15,000 songs in my library/library spillover lists already, with several more every week, and a pile of playlists, and am following probably 200 artists on it. I'm in for life now, lol. I just have to pray that Spotify never goes away. :tongue:
    I have to agree with your love for Spotify. I have so much music in my library, including playlists, and it is what I listen to the majority of the time. I've been able to find just about anything I want on there.And when I go to an artist's site, I love the 'Fans Also Like' option. I find so many new artists that way. And you can get merch and get notified when they are touring, ticket on sale times, etc. 

Making a playlist for certain musical genres or moods or activities with just about any song of which you can think is wonderful and I download them on my laptop so I don't get any problems with streaming blips. (But they are still owned by Spotify in this case).

There is a legal way to copy all of your Spotify stuff to your computer or whatever device that can hold the GB or TB's and then you have that music even if Spotify were to go away. I can explain it to you sometime if you want. I have a migraine today, but let me know if you're interested in doing that. I haven't yet, but my laptop can handle the volume and want to start copying files in batches. 

I have never done the Third Man thing - I see people talking about Third Man all the time but I'm not really sure what it is and I've never read up on the threads. I"m guessing it's a streaming service with concerts in their vault. I'm stretching my budget with subscriptions so Netflix and Spotify with Hulu are my picks. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    Whenever you see that 1 under Followers - :smiley:
    edited November 2018
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I have to agree with your love for Spotify. I have so much music in my library, including playlists, and it is what I listen to the majority of the time. I've been able to find just about anything I want on there.And when I go to an artist's site, I love the 'Fans Also Like' option. I find so many new artists that way. And you can get merch and get notified when they are touring, ticket on sale times, etc. 

Making a playlist for certain musical genres or moods or activities with just about any song of which you can think is wonderful and I download them on my laptop so I don't get any problems with streaming blips. (But they are still owned by Spotify in this case).

There is a legal way to copy all of your Spotify stuff to your computer or whatever device that can hold the GB or TB's and then you have that music even if Spotify were to go away. I can explain it to you sometime if you want. I have a migraine today, but let me know if you're interested in doing that. I haven't yet, but my laptop can handle the volume and want to start copying files in batches. 

I have never done the Third Man thing - I see people talking about Third Man all the time but I'm not really sure what it is and I've never read up on the threads. I"m guessing it's a streaming service with concerts in their vault. I'm stretching my budget with subscriptions so Netflix and Spotify with Hulu are my picks. 
    Yes, one of the best things about Spotify is how it curates music for you that you haven't heard. The "Fans also like" option as you pointed out, the artist radio feature for everyone (gives you a constantly updated playlist of music for that artist and music that is similar), the discover weekly list and the release radar list are where I find almost ALL new music now... And every playlist also has a "suggested playlist" at the bottom of it, which gives you other songs that would fit well into that list but that you maybe didn't think of or never heard. I also love the Shazam list. Whenever I Shazam any song with my phone, that song is automatically added to a Spotify playlist called "My Shazam Tracks". It's awesome. I seriously can't imagine being a music fan without Spotify Premium anymore. As I always say, it's the best $10 I spend every month.

No, Third Man Records is Jack White's record label, and he's very active with it. If you subscribe to the Vault, that means you pay quarterly for a unique vinyl release (often comes with goodies too) produced by Jack White/TMR. It's most often stuff related to The White Stripes, Jack White solo, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather, but sometimes it's for other artists from his label. You must remember when PJ went to TMR and they recorded that record with Jack? And then TMR made that one of the Vaults? 10C gave us a deal on it when that happened and it was in the newsletter and everything.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, one of the best things about Spotify is how it curates music for you that you haven't heard. The "Fans also like" option as you pointed out, the artist radio feature for everyone (gives you a constantly updated playlist of music for that artist and music that is similar), the discover weekly list and the release radar list are where I find almost ALL new music now... And every playlist also has a "suggested playlist" at the bottom of it, which gives you other songs that would fit well into that list but that you maybe didn't think of or never heard. I also love the Shazam list. Whenever I Shazam any song with my phone, that song is automatically added to a Spotify playlist called "My Shazam Tracks". It's awesome. I seriously can't imagine being a music fan without Spotify Premium anymore. As I always say, it's the best $10 I spend every month.

No, Third Man Records is Jack White's record label, and he's very active with it. If you subscribe to the Vault, that means you pay quarterly for a unique vinyl release (often comes with goodies too) produced by Jack White/TMR. It's most often stuff related to The White Stripes, Jack White solo, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather, but sometimes it's for other artists from his label. You must remember when PJ went to TMR and they recorded that record with Jack? And then TMR made that one of the Vaults? 10C gave us a deal on it when that happened and it was in the newsletter and everything.

All true, but also the Vault membership gives you a Tidal membership for $5 per month.  it's normally $20.  Tidal transmits in MQA format, which is Master quality authentication.  This is super high resolution audio.  I've invested a ton of money in my audio system, so I'm a snob (I admit) about sound quality.  Spotify, Pandora and even XM transmit in low quality lossy audio.  I'm in the market to get a new DAC that supports MQA so that I can take advantage of the Tidal membership.  I haven't yet because I don't have a way to decode it today.  My current DAC is excellent, but too old for that format.  
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

All true, but also the Vault membership gives you a Tidal membership for $5 per month.  it's normally $20.  Tidal transmits in MQA format, which is Master quality authentication.  This is super high resolution audio.  I've invested a ton of money in my audio system, so I'm a snob (I admit) about sound quality.  Spotify, Pandora and even XM transmit in low quality lossy audio.  I'm in the market to get a new DAC that supports MQA so that I can take advantage of the Tidal membership.  I haven't yet because I don't have a way to decode it today.  My current DAC is excellent, but too old for that format.  
    I can see how if you invested in an expensive car stereo this would matter to you. I'm just bopping along with my Galaxy S9+ and Samsung earbuds (all quality of course - music sounds good, but we're not talking hi-def audiophile shit), so that isn't going to matter to me. And I listen to vinyl at home exclusively.
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, I do recall when they did the record. I checked out the website but I never subscribed or bought the record. 

All of the things you mentioned about Spotify are things I also like. It is a really well thought out service. I get Premium with Hulu for 13/month.   The suggested playlist makes my playlists even longer than I'd already created. lol.  When I decide that I like a band I've had suggested or discovered, I get the This Is (insert band name) playlist. 

I just went to double check my monthly price and there is a new entry under the Account tab. 'Experimental Features'. I have to reread it to understand it, but you can check it out on your own account.