Did you vote, yet?

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Probably sitting it out just like in 2016.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    unsung said:
    Over the many years I have voted, I have had friends tell me this.  They usually come under a number of categories:

-People who find the U.S. political system or climate too frustrating.
    -People who believe voting is futile because they never get what they want.
    -People who feel cynical about our political system because "it is all rigged so why bother anyway?"
    -People who don't care or can't be bothered.

Just curious- do you see yourself fitting one of these descriptions?  Can you picture a situation in which you might change your mind and go ahead and vote?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Over the many years I have voted, I have had friends tell me this.  They usually come under a number of categories:

-People who feel cynical about our political system because "it is all rigged so why bother anyway?"

Just curious- do you see yourself fitting one of these descriptions?  Can you picture a situation in which you might change your mind and go ahead and vote?
    I had someone tell me years ago that if you don't  vote you give up the right to complain.
  • brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I had someone tell me years ago that if you don't  vote you give up the right to complain.
    Agreed. Ironic though. Constitution and all.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I've heard that as well but also have heard the counter argument that goes something like:

"I don't vote and yet  I still believe I have a right to complain because the whole thing is rigged and my vote makes no difference."

I understand why someone would feel that way and it's their right to feel that way and vote or not vote, but that goes into territory that is too cynical for me and I personally do believe that if I vote, I am making a particle of difference.  Yes, it is a tiny particle but it's not at all a bother to me to vote and no way am I giving up that particle of difference, no matter how small.  A many particles can lead to change.  Just as one small example: I voted for legalization of cannabis in California as did many other people and now it is so.  Works for me!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I voted for the legalization of recreational cannabis in Massachusetts in the 2016 election—along with the majority of the commonwealth electorate—yet two years later, not a single recreational pot shop has opened in the entire state. 

And you want to tell me that our votes count. 

The governor, the AG and a majority of mayors and town managers (including the mayor of Boston) were all against legalizing the recreational use of cannabis.

That’s all that counts. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    dankind said:
    I voted for the legalization of recreational cannabis in Massachusetts in the 2016 election—along with the majority of the commonwealth electorate—yet two years later, not a single recreational pot shop has opened in the entire state. 

And you want to tell me that our votes count. 

The governor, the AG and a majority of mayors and town managers (including the mayor of Boston) were all against legalizing the recreational use of cannabis.

That’s all that counts. 
    We had a proposed nearby property annexation proposal by a larger city in the last election that was put up to vote and the people voted it down.   So the city went to plan 2 ... fuck your vote, we're doing it anyway.  What a country.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I was disappointed to see that the Mattress King Party didn't have the straight ticket option when I early voted.  Took me an hour!  Poll officials said they have never seen anything like this.  But there is a divisive local issue in my area that has been exacerbated by people voicing their opinions on social media.
    Besides voting, there are other ways to participate in the system.  A colleague of mine and I worked for two issues- one at the county level and one at the state level- which included attending meetings and hearings.   Win or lose (I'm happy to say we won both) it felt great to participate and to have our voices heard. And it was an amazing learning experience.   I personally don't see how someone can complain if they have not participated.  Most people don't, and that's why our lives area controlled by others to the degree they are.   In America in particular, I tend to believe we are getting what we deserve when we don't take action and do something. 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Right on, Carl!  :plus_one:

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Not yet. Waiting for absentee ballot I requested. Not too optimistic about the government in America but I will at least vote anyway.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I voted on my Florida absentee ballot. I voted for the guy Trump says is a thief. If Trump says he's a thief he's probably a good guy one can not believe every and anything that comes out of his mouth.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    g under p said:
    I voted on my Florida absentee ballot. I voted for the guy Trump says is a thief. If Trump says he's a thief he's probably a good guy one can not believe every and anything that comes out of his mouth.

Peace
    then again they say it takes one to know one.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

Unless of course you pay taxes and fund this child drone bombing circus, in my world that gives you the right as well
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    unsung said:
    No local/state issues on the ballot that need your attention?  I understand people skipping voting for candidates if no one really matches up enough or if 1 isn;t way worse than the other.  But generally there are state/local issues that I am betting you have an opinion on.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You every right to complain, whether one votes or not.  I don’t personally ask people if they vote or not ... that’s no-one’s business...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2018
    You every right to complain, whether one votes or not.  I don’t personally ask people if they vote or not ... that’s no-one’s business...
    some 90 million chose not to last time. And this is what we got. you're goddamned right its my business.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2018
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

When Obama was President I tried telling people here that a President that legislates is bad news because it could go the other way if your candidate that is chosen for you loses.  Well, here we are.

Participation in a system that treats the entire thing publicly like a tennis match but behind closed doors is all chummy isn't something I desire to be involved with.  

In the end I will do what I want.  The bs laws won't change the temperature in my living room.  If a politician passes a gun ban then my guns will be lost in a tragic boating accident.  They ***none of them*** are my rulers and couldn't give two craps about what they think.  A politician that tries to reduce freedom deserves only one thing.  They are not our friends, they care only about their own power.  Some are worse than others.  I have only viewed one in high enough regard that I worked for him and even that one was one I disagreed on some issues with.

Any participation is only because it is forced under threat of loss of freedom, I do still pay taxes because I don't want the thin blue line to shoot my dog.  I do not want to be kidnapped and thrown in a cage.  The system exists because we are forced to be involved.  People will bitch about this or that but when they find out someone doesn't want to play the bullshit game with the rules deemed to be in place by elitist a**holes then they call them names like sovereign or some other bs label.  Hypocrites.

As someone that used to be a democrat and saw how that party has abandoned the middle class and then somewhat Libertarian and how that group lost its' mind as well I suppose I could be best described as a Minarchist at this point.  My participation is forced, but it will be as minimal as I can make it.

Can't wait until someone here brings up roads in response to this.

On edit: No celebrity provides any use for me so their opinions amount to nothing more than a quick blast of hot air on a cool day.  Nobody should listen to what people that have their own private security and live behind their locked gates thinks about society or how you should run your family life.
    Post edited by unsung on
    edited October 2018
    unsung said:
    No local/state issues on the ballot that need your attention?  I understand people skipping voting for candidates if no one really matches up enough or if 1 isn;t way worse than the other.  But generally there are state/local issues that I am betting you have an opinion on.
    I know that this wasn’t addressed to me, but see my above post on how Massachusetts legalized recreational cannabis TWO YEARS AGO, yet not a single shop has opened in the entire state. So you can either grow it, get a MMJ card or buy it illegally from a dealer and pray that it’s not laced with fentanyl. (Boy, do these Massholes LOVE their fentanyl.)

Also, on that same ballot, my town voted to refurbish a multi-use path on an old railbed (bike trail, walking trail) that has been neglected and overtaken by weeds and ivy, but those rich folks who abut the abandoned trail don’t want it put back into use for their neighbors—and they’re terrified that the brown people from the next town over, which has lovely hiking trails of its own, by the way, will wind up in full view of their family dinner tables. So do you think anything has happened on that trail for my town yet? But, boy, it sure did feel good to go out and vote and pretend that we’re making a difference.

And for any condescending motherfucker who wants to label this cynicism, I guess you can’t fucking read. It’s the reality of my local politics. Maybe yours are better. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    unsung said:
    I know that this wasn’t addressed to me, but see my above post on how Massachusetts legalized recreational cannabis TWO YEARS AGO, yet not a single shop has opened in the entire state. So you can either grow it, get a MMJ card or buy it illegally from a dealer and pray that it’s not laced with fentanyl. (Boy, do these Massholes LOVE their fentanyl.)

Also, on that same ballot, my town voted to refurbish a multi-use path on an old railbed (bike trail, walking trail) that has been neglected and overtaken by weeds and ivy, but those rich folks who abut the abandoned trail don’t want it put back into use for their neighbors—and they’re terrified that the brown people from the next town over, which has lovely hiking trails of its own, by the way, will wind up in full view of their family dinner tables. So do you think anything has happened on that trail for my town yet? But, boy, it sure did feel good to go out and vote and pretend that we’re making a difference.

And for any condescending motherfucker who wants to label this cynicism, I guess you can’t fucking read. It’s the reality of my local politics. Maybe yours are better. 
    has anyone or a group sued? for either issue?

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Thank you!
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

I think that the abutters are actually the ones who have threatened legal action on the trail issue. And I don't think that stoners are really the litigious type--and even if they were, I'm sure that the commonwealth has covered its ass in all kinds of ways on this one.

Shit got done in Brooklyn and New York (and obviously elsewhere: California, Washington, Colorado, etc.) on ballot questions, but with the way I've seen things enter a indeterminable holding pattern in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, I'm no longer inclined to waste my time at the polls here.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

I think that the abutters are actually the ones who have threatened legal action on the trail issue. And I don't think that stoners are really the litigious type--and even if they were, I'm sure that the commonwealth has covered its ass in all kinds of ways on this one.

Shit got done in Brooklyn and New York (and obviously elsewhere: California, Washington, Colorado, etc.) on ballot questions, but with the way I've seen things enter a indeterminable holding pattern in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, I'm no longer inclined to waste my time at the polls here.
    so now I wonder if those politicians dragging their feet have come up for reelection in the intervening time and if so do they remain in office?

edited November 2018
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

My bad.
    Post edited by brianlux on

mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

so now I wonder if those politicians dragging their feet have come up for reelection in the intervening time and if so do they remain in office?
    They will absolutely remain in office. Charlie Baker is a lock. Maura Healy is a lock.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

I understand your frustration, but, damn, if you can grow legally, you don't have anything to complain about lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited November 2018
    More bad.

Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    unsung said:

Since I'm the one who brought up "cynicism", I guess this is aimed at me.  Well Dan, I try very hard not to be condescending.  I've often been as self-critical here as others have been critical of me.  And I will tell you this in all and absolute honesty:  I never fucked my mother.

Have a day.
    Not directed at you at all, Brian -- just a preemptive defense because I know how it gets in AMT.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Somebody needs a beer. Or a scotch.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©