Options

My new music memoir, One in the Crowd, is here at last!

13»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,672
    Horos said:
    Found a couple of typoes today pages 150 and 174. You should fire your editor. ;)
    You're right!

p.150:  "pick slip" instead of "pink slip".  Shit!  :lol:
    p.174:  Hmmm, not sure there.  Guard vs Guarde?  (my dictionary says both OK).  That's all I can find.  Did I miss something?

Good job Horos- you have a sharp eye!  But don't  tell C, unless you want to see her cry!

Seriously though, you should see how many she did catch.  My brain sometimes sees thing I write the way it thinks they are.  I probably read p-i-c-k as "pink" a couple dozen times.  Yep, a few damaged brain cells.  That's life!

To be honest, reading that page was painful.  I think I tried too hard.  It's kind of stuffy and opinionated.  Rip that fucker out.  Page 174, bye bye! 

Naahhh, just kidding, haha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    brianlux said:
    Horos said:
    Found a couple of typoes today pages 150 and 174. You should fire your editor. ;)
    You're right!

p.174:  Hmmm, not sure there.  Guard vs Guarde?  (my dictionary says both OK).  That's all I can find.  Did I miss something?

Good job Horos- you have a sharp eye!  But don't  tell C, unless you want to see her cry!

Seriously though, you should see how many she did catch.  My brain sometimes sees thing I write the way it thinks they are.  I probably read p-i-c-k as "pink" a couple dozen times.  Yep, a few damaged brain cells.  That's life!

To be honest, reading that page was painful.  I think I tried too hard.  It's kind of stuffy and opinionated.  Rip that fucker out.  Page 174, bye bye! 

Maybe not on 174. I read it sits well with you rather than sets.

Just kidding you though. I'm enjoying it.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos said:
    brianlux said:
    Horos said:
    You're right!

Maybe not on 174. I read it sits well with you rather than sets.

Just kidding you though. I'm enjoying it.
    Hey, no worries, I appreciate the heads up. 

Glad you're enjoying it, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    finished!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    finished!
    Great!  Any words of advice are always welcome (although I think my next book will be a collection of cartoons I've drawn over the years).

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my memory is fucked these days. I still have to buy this. I still haven't bought All Encompassing Trip either. Jesus. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my memory is fucked these days. I still have to buy this. I still haven't bought All Encompassing Trip either. Jesus. 
    If you decide to buy my book (and of course cool if you do/ cool if you don't :smile: ) if you have a friend or family across the border, it's much less expensive to ship with the U.S.  I lowered my shipping matrix on my Quiet Corner books through biblio.com as much as I could but it's still outrageous.  I'm not happy with USPS for such outlandish over-the-border rates! 

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    brianlux said:
    If you decide to buy my book (and of course cool if you do/ cool if you don't :smile: ) if you have a friend or family across the border, it's much less expensive to ship with the U.S.  I lowered my shipping matrix on my Quiet Corner books through biblio.com as much as I could but it's still outrageous.  I'm not happy with USPS for such outlandish over-the-border rates! 
    They want $200 to ship it to Ireland. 
    My parents are in New York so I'll have it shipped there.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    i'll check to see if my in-laws from Green Bay are coming in for christmas. If not, the shipping I shall pay! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    brianlux said:
    i'll check to see if my in-laws from Green Bay are coming in for christmas. If not, the shipping I shall pay! 
    Great, thanks!  :smile:

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 687
    Just read the book - great show memories and interesting life anecdotes.  Thanks for sharing your story - well done!
  • Options
    ST66483 said:
    Just read the book - great show memories and interesting life anecdotes.  Thanks for sharing your story - well done!
    Thank you so much!  Glad you liked it.  :smile:

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Oh where does time go? Finally got to ordering your book and shall enjoy reading of your adventures! 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    camsjam said:
    Oh where does time go? Finally got to ordering your book and shall enjoy reading of your adventures! 
    Thank you so much!  I'll mail it out today.  :smile:

A friend of mine pointed out what to me is a major error.  Toward the very end, on page 256, I credit Mike Johnson as playing bass on Dinosaur Jr's You're Living All Over Me. Well, of course, that was Lou Barlow on that one.  I was thinking of Where You Been not YLAOM and got the titles mixed up.  My wife helped edit the book but, not being a Dino fan like me, she would not have caught that.  I'm bummed that I missed that error but there it is and I doubt I'll ever see a second printing. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Got my shipping notification already thanks!  I'll be house bound for another week or two so I'm looking forward to doing some reading. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    camsjam said:
    Got my shipping notification already thanks!  I'll be house bound for another week or two so I'm looking forward to doing some reading. 
    I hope you enjoy some of the stories, Cams, and hope all is well with you (I love being house bound at times, but only when voluntarily so!)

p.s., the color Hendrix photos I took are on facing pages that tend to static-cling together- pages 62 and 63.  They're just a bit fuzzy (so am I after 50 years) but nicely laid out by Kathy, my design lady.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Well semi voluntary. I am recovering from a total knee replacement and getting around pretty well but not driving and my Mom doesn't drive. That's great you saw Hendrix. I saw the Hendrix exhibit at MOPOP this summer. Always wished I could have caught one of his shows. Hope you're feeling better as well Brian.
  • Options
    P.S. I love "fuzzy". Sometimes being fuzzy can be good....soft n calming. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    camsjam said:
    Well semi voluntary. I am recovering from a total knee replacement and getting around pretty well but not driving and my Mom doesn't drive. That's great you saw Hendrix. I saw the Hendrix exhibit at MOPOP this summer. Always wished I could have caught one of his shows. Hope you're feeling better as well Brian.
    I hope you're up and running soon, Cams!
    camsjam said:
    P.S. I love "fuzzy". Sometimes being fuzzy can be good....soft n calming. 
    LOL!

• Options
    At long last, an important (to me anyway) errata item to my book:

The band that opened for the Psychedelic Furs at the Kabuki Theater in San Francisco on November 17, 1982 was Dream Syndicate with Kendra Smith on bass.  How I could forget that is beyond me- I'm a fan of both.  In fact, what impressed me most about seeing that band was watching Kendra Smith play with more energy and coolness than any woman I'd ever seen perform and I quickly became a big fan.  Smith later did some great work with  David Roback and was, at one time, the singer for Opal. 

• Options
    It was brought to my attention that one of the photographs in my book has been pirated and is being sold on eBay.  I have contact Experience Hendrix and asked them to pursue legal action.  I will be like a rat terrier on board a ship until I ferret out whomever is committing this criminal activity.  For a number of years, the rights to my photographs have belonged to the Hendrix LLC organization and other than my being allowed to have them in my book, any other use of them is a crime.
    I am seething!

• Options
    that's crazy! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,748
    Stinks Brian. Sorry. 

Great book by the way. Pick it up people. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Stinks Brian. Sorry. 

Great book by the way. Pick it up people. 

Thank you, Loujoe!

I have not yet heard back from Hendrix LLC.  I really hope they will pursue this issue!