My new music memoir, One in the Crowd, is here at last!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    bluegrace said:
    Wonderful! Congrats! I hope you are proud of your book. But I guess you also feel a tad bit of emptyness now that it is finished. I know I did when my book was finished. You work on it for so long and all of a sudden there is no book to work on anymore, since it is completed.
    Thank you, bluegrace.  This book took three and a half years to make, 6 revisions, 3 edits and a lot of back and forth with the printer to get the design dialed in, plus about $2100 just to have 100 copies printed.  Yes, I feel great about having done the work and made it happen but the only emptiness I feel is my check book, lol!  I'm very happy to have the book and at the same time very ready to move on to the next thing- maybe a little collection of my cartoons or I might go back to another book I started working on a few years ago.  Another thing I really want to do find the right space where I live to set up a drawing/painting table and get back into doing some art work.  And then there's that neglected guitar hanging on the wall.  So many things to do, so little time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Bought one!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    Thank you, Joe!  Our P.O. closes at noon and I'll try to get it out there today- if not, first think Monday!  And signed, of course!  Thanks so much!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    Thank you, Joe!  Our P.O. closes at noon and I'll try to get it out there today- if not, first think Monday!  And signed, of course!  Thanks so much!
    My pleasure...thanks for the quick shipping!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    It's on its way- thanks Joe!

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    I started going to shows in 1980 when I was 14....will be interesting to see what tours we both saw!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    I started going to shows in 1980 when I was 14....will be interesting to see what tours we both saw!
    Check out the list toward the back of the bands I wish I had seen.  A friend who I sent the book too wrote back and said, "I've seen about 75% of those bands".    I was a bit envious but then he's in the business so I guess it makes sense! 

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Been reading it in bits and pieces for the last few days. Only up to where Buffalo Springfield plays your HS. Really liking it. Good work Brian!
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    Been reading it in bits and pieces for the last few days. Only up to where Buffalo Springfield plays your HS. Really liking it. Good work Brian!
    Great!  Thanks for feedback!

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    Check out the list toward the back of the bands I wish I had seen.  A friend who I sent the book too wrote back and said, "I've seen about 75% of those bands".    I was a bit envious but then he's in the business so I guess it makes sense! 
    I work on the fringe of the music business (CPA for several artists/bands) so I have gotten some good perks over the years, however, most of my shows have been attended as a "civilian".
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    I work on the fringe of the music business (CPA for several artists/bands) so I have gotten some good perks over the years, however, most of my shows have been attended as a "civilian".
    Have you been able to meet any of members of those bands/ artists?  Any good stories you care to share that way?

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    Have you been able to meet any of members of those bands/ artists?  Any good stories you care to share that way?
    I've been lucky enough to meet/get to know a bunch of cool artists, however, due to professional ethics, I can't really kiss and tell.
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Bought one!
    I've been lucky enough to meet/get to know a bunch of cool artists, however, due to professional ethics, I can't really kiss and tell.
    Makes perfectly good sense!

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I am going through a divorce.  When that is done and if you have any copies left I'll take one.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I am going through a divorce.  When that is done and if you have any copies left I'll take one.  
    Oh man, Meltdown, I am sorry to hear that.  Divorce is a rough go- hard on the emotions and a hell of a lot of legal hassle.  I wish you the best.

When you get things settled, there will be a copy for you.  The chances of my selling all 100 are about as good as my being able to play the entire song "Stairway to Heaven" flawlessly, LOL.  I'll keep one for you on my shelf just in case. 

edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    Oh man, Meltdown, I am sorry to hear that.  Divorce is a rough go- hard on the emotions and a hell of a lot of legal hassle.  I wish you the best.

When you get things settled, there will be a copy for you.  The chances of my selling all 100 are about as good as my being able to play the entire song "Stairway to Heaven" flawlessly, LOL.  I'll keep one for you on my shelf just in case. 
    Will you sign it to meltdowns 99 when I order. thank you for your kind words.  I've met with 2 lawyers, retained my lawyer today.  You need a good lawyer when going through a divorce...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:

Will you sign it to meltdowns 99 when I order. thank you for your kind words.  I've met with 2 lawyers, retained my lawyer today.  You need a good lawyer when going through a divorce...
    Is that meltdowns 99 (plural) or just meltdown 99?  I will indeed.  And although it probably won't help with your legal fees, I'll enclose a free $1 million dollar bill with your copy!

In all seriousness, best of luck.  I hope things iron out as smoothly as possible. 

And P.S.  Maybe add a note (or PM me here) when you place your order so I'll know its you and then I'll sign it to your user name.
    Post edited by brianlux on

edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Is that meltdowns 99 (plural) or just meltdown 99?  I will indeed.  And although it probably won't help with your legal fees, I'll enclose a free $1 million dollar bill with your copy!

In all seriousness, best of luck.  I hope things iron out as smoothly as possible. 

And P.S.  Maybe add a note (or PM me here) when you place your order so I'll know its you and then I'll sign it to your user name.
    Meltdown 99 ... sorry ... been al ong day...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No worries, got it!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No worries, got it!
    Thanks ... you seen some bands I would have loved to see.  You are a lucky man.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Got my book in the mail yesterday.....quite an accomplishment....can't wait to read it!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Got my book in the mail yesterday.....quite an accomplishment....can't wait to read it!
    I'm glad it got there safely, Joe.  Thanks for letting me know! 

Cheers!

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I got to the point in the book where Brian says there is no bad music. Period.
    Now this song has been on my mind for three days.
    Thanks alot :wink:

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    edited July 2018
    Malroth said:
    I got to the point in the book where Brian says there is no bad music. Period.
    Now this song has been on my mind for three days.
    Thanks alot :wink:

LOL.

My thinking about all that is that there is music I don't like.  In fact, there is music I can't stand to listen to.  But I figure someone, somewhere likes every kind of music and with even the little I know about how much effort it takes to make music/ produce a record, I won't be the one to call it "bad music".
    Post edited by brianlux on

Still working my way through. Jimi Hendrix Experience and Talking Heads are my top wish I had seen. Of course I'm really not old enough to have saw JHE. I was 5 when he died. Jealous.
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    Still working my way through. Jimi Hendrix Experience and Talking Heads are my top wish I had seen. Of course I'm really not old enough to have saw JHE. I was 5 when he died. Jealous.
    Age has it's benefits... sometimes, lol. 

I was glad I got to see Talking Heads but I wish I had also caught them in their early days when they were just the original quartet.

brianlux said:
    Horos said:

I was glad I got to see Talking Heads but I wish I had also caught them in their early days when they were just the original quartet.
    I saw the THs when they filmed "Stop Making Sense" at the Pantages in Hollywood.

I too wish I had seen them as a 4-piece earlier in the 80s.

JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    Horos said:

I saw the THs when they filmed "Stop Making Sense" at the Pantages in Hollywood.

I too wish I had seen them as a 4-piece earlier in the 80s.

You got to see Byrne in the Big Suit- cool!

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Order placed - looking forward to it.
    congrats on this project!
    Found a couple of typoes today pages 150 and 174. You should fire your editor. ;)
    #FHP