Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Hopefully Machado.  I really don't want another overpriced right fielder.  You know Machado will produce.  I think he'll stay in LA or join the Yankees, though.
    Agreed
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    That would be a hell of an infield though.  Rizzo, Baez, Machado, Bryant around the horn.  Especially if KB gets back on track offensively.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    That would be a hell of an infield though.  Rizzo, Baez, Machado, Bryant around the horn.  Especially if KB gets back on track offensively.
    Getting Machado makes a lot more sense now that Russell is presumably gone. There will still be a couple of odd-men out (i.e. Murphy and Bote), but that’s a good problem to have. 
    bbiggs said:
    Getting Machado makes a lot more sense now that Russell is presumably gone. There will still be a couple of odd-men out (i.e. Murphy and Bote), but that’s a good problem to have. 
    And I'm sure Maddon will pull his lineup shuffling antics to ensure that we have plenty of days of Rizzo-Murphy-Baez-Machado or Rizzo-Baez-Mahcado-Bote with Bryant in left in both situations.
    I still think we are a starting pitcher or two away from being WS competitive again. Lester, Hendricks, & Quintana are the core. I didn't have much faith in Darvish before the injury, and now I really don't have any.  I'm not sure how much Hamels can hang at his age.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Hopefully Machado.  I really don't want another overpriced right fielder.  You know Machado will produce.  I think he'll stay in LA or join the Yankees, though.
    machado would cement your Evil Empire, Midwest status.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    You live in a strange world.  We've paid for Lester, Heyward, & Darvish.  Only one of whom even remotely performs at a professional level on a consistent basis.  All other talent is either home grown or acquired through trades, and we've given up a hell of a lot more talent than we've acquired.
    Wobbie said:
    You live in a strange world.  We've paid for Lester, Heyward, & Darvish.  Only one of whom even remotely performs at a professional level on a consistent basis.  All other talent is either home grown or acquired through trades, and we've given up a hell of a lot more talent than we've acquired.
    you might have a point. might.

your IF would be stellar. your OF, not so much.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    OF of Bryant, Almora & Heyward....that'll be just damn fine with me. 

Backing up an IF of Baez, Machado, Rizzo and Murphy/Bote.

That's 1 defensive liability in Murphy and 1 offensive liability in Heyward. I'll take my chances with that. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    If Joe can resist playing Happ and his 3-4 strikeouts every god damn day, our outfield will be fine.
    I thought bryant was 3B?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Wobbie said:
    It's like taking to a Trump voter.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
    Gtilley8 said:
    Wobbie said:
    It's like taking to a Trump voter.  

low blow :nuh_uh:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Anthony Iapoce back in the organization as hitting coach. 
    I don't know if I like that signing.  I understand he worked with many of these guys in the minors, but if you look at the Cubs offensive team numbers compared to the Rangers, the Cubs blew Texas out of the water in nearly every category.  Cubs finished top 10 in most offensive categories whereas Texas was mostly in the bottom 10.
    Russell getting ready to have this 3rd kid with the 3rd different woman in 3 years.  Keep it in your fuckin pants, dude, seriously!
    This dude is full of poor decisions. I'm very interested in what the Cubs decide to do with him over the next few months.
    This dude is full of poor decisions. I'm very interested in what the Cubs decide to do with him over the next few months.
    Exactly.  We've largely seen a zero tolerance issue from the front office with off the field distractions.  I think that's the reason there wasn't a huge push to bring back arrieta.  It will be interesting.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Russell getting ready to have this 3rd kid with the 3rd different woman in 3 years.  Keep it in your fuckin pants, dude, seriously!

shawn kemp says that ain’t nuthin’.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Gtilley8 said:
    Exactly.  We've largely seen a zero tolerance issue from the front office with off the field distractions.  I think that's the reason there wasn't a huge push to bring back arrieta.  It will be interesting.  
    Except for that one time we sold our soul for a closer who throws 105 MPH to help win a World Series Championship. Only to then grossly misuse him in the most crucial games and barely escape with the best "W" ever!
    Wobbie said:

Confession time:

You finally gave me a heart chuckle. Funny is funny.
    Wobbie said:

Kemp? Pfffttt... Antonio Cromartie puts him to shame. 
    Wobbie said:

Adrian Peterson is up there as well. ;) 
    edited October 2018
    Gtilley8 said:
    Except for that one time we sold our soul for a closer who throws 105 MPH to help win a World Series Championship. Only to then grossly misuse him in the most crucial games and barely escape with the best "W" ever!
    He was properly counselled by that time..... Dude has largely been a choir boy since then.  Did think this story was telling..... Parents just got back from Cuba.... Talking to the locals they asked about MLB players, locals said everyone pays a shit ton of their money back to the govt there, except Chapman.  He doesn't care about seeing his family, so he doesn't pay shit.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    bbiggs said:
    Wobbie said:

Adrian Peterson is up there as well. ;) 

don't forget Scottie Pippin

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Tick tock...

Waiting for free agency to start.
    Glad we re-signed Hamels. Expensive but probably necessary. 
    Yeah, I just hope he's more like August Hamels and less like September Hamels.  But it is good to have a veteran arm and someone with playoff experience.
    I didn't even know we had Drew Smyly.  Now watch him come back from TJ surgery and fucking kill it in Texas.
    Yeah, I just hope he's more like August Hamels and less like September Hamels.  But it is good to have a veteran arm and someone with playoff experience.
    I didn't even know we had Drew Smyly.  Now watch him come back from TJ surgery and fucking kill it in Texas.
    Exactly re Hamels.

And I didn’t know about Smyly either. Strange that he was such a well kept secret to us fans. Lol 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I played against Smyly throughout high school and American Legion.