Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• I prefer the way Eddie used to sing.  Nowadays he seems to sing words to have more syllables than they actually do.  He also seems to emphasize every single word and extends them just for effect.  No need to fancy it up.  Just sing the words like normal. 

Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    I prefer the way Eddie used to sing.  Nowadays he seems to sing words to have more syllables than they actually do.  He also seems to emphasize every single word and extends them just for effect.  No need to fancy it up.  Just sing the words like normal. 

I’m guessing you preferred the 2000 tour when end sang with clenched teeth
  • lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
    Lightning Bolt and Riot Act are my top two Pearl Jam albums.
    Sirens is excellent live and in the studio version.
    Black is a good song, but I don't think it holds up live to songs like Come Back or Parting Ways.
    I wish the band would go back to playing indoor arenas rather than stadiums. 
    After over 200 bootlegs, Even Flow is still great to hear.
    I like the way Ed's voice has changed. In recent years, it's had such depth and inflection. 
    I don't mind covers except RITFW.
    I don't mind 5-8 songs off Ten a night. They're favorites, and there's a reason for that.
    I enjoy the "slow burn" openers. 3 or 4 quiet songs are great before they rock your face off. 
    I wish the merch situation wasn't so overhyped. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769

-Despite repeated attempts to like them and considering EdVed loves them---I do not like the Who....

I have thought about responding to many posts in this thread but thought I'd read it all and see where it went.  I cannot, CANNOT go any further than this without replying.  I would never force music on someone, would never expect them to listen to something if they don't want to.   However .  . . I feel like you didn't go into the Who with the right mind set, or the right attitude, or from the right direction. My apologies, but look at the words of Pete Townshend, his songwriting is phenomenal.  I know, you have a right to your opinion but if you're here, on the PJ board, because the music speaks to you, then you might want to give The Who another chance.  If you feel you've made enough effort and you're done trying, that's ok.  Your loss.  
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    -I think corduroy is boring, so
    is even flow.
    -I think the tambourine game has played its course.
    -i feel bad for stone, he writes the best riffs the band has ever had, and ties together the music theory but everyone is forced to deal with Ed’s continuous forced direction on the band
    -ed’s done well, but he’s no Robert plant with the vocals in the last several years... I notice the slight changes in the annunciation of the lyrics to help him through songs and I can deal with it but it bothers me for some reason
    -I won’t ever accept that Matt was/is better than Jack for the band. The creativity was off the charts with Jack but with Matt I feel like they just all go with what will sell and to me that goes against what they always originally felt
    -I have to have every boot on cd and I listen to them all, every tour 
    -I fucking hate bono but achtung baby may be in my top 5 albums all time (but so is rusted root tonight so who knows wtf I’m thinking)

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    I prefer the original Ten from the remixed version. I’ve never understood the dislike for the sound of Ten and have always wondered how PJ’s career would have developed if Ten had sounded differently. After all the original Ten is what skyrocketed Pearl Jam. Not in spite of but because of...
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    If they were playing in town the same night, I would see Tres Mts instead of Ed solo in a heartbeat. Saw them a couple months apart a few years ago. Both were great, but breaking them out made me realize what draws me to this band most.

One more:

Following a setlist thread during a show is like eating a candy bar. You get a rush in the moment, but it's ultimately unhealthy. It is impossible to evaluate a show based on a list of songs and only trains you to hunt for rarities.
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    I love their slow songs as much as fast heavy songs. Would love to get a show of only slow songs including Pendulum, Future Days, Yellow Moon (even sleeping by myself, sounds much better live), Just breathe, The End, Speed of Sound, Parachutes, Thumbing My Way, All or None, Off the Girl, Parting Ways, Light Years,Thin Air, Acoustic Given to Fly, Low Light, All those Yesterdays, Sometimes, Who You Are, In My Tree, Off he Goes, Around The Bend, Immortality, Nothing Man, Indifference, Small Town, Release, Black, Hard to Imagine, Footsteps  and finish with long road.
    Kearnsy
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I prefer the way Eddie used to sing.  Nowadays he seems to sing words to have more syllables than they actually do.  He also seems to emphasize every single word and extends them just for effect.  No need to fancy it up.  Just sing the words like normal. 

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited October 2018
    I also never liked Neil young, The Who, or mother love bone. I actually left a who concert early because I was bored. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Billy Joel, the eagles and Fleetwood Mac are terrible. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    I have WHO'S NEXT and I think that is good... but I'm not a The Who-fan... and I wasn't super thrilled att their 2007 show I attended. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I also never liked Neil young, 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Billy Joel, the eagles and Fleetwood Mac are terrible. 

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    mcgruff10 said:
    I also never liked Neil young, The Who, or mother love bone. I actually left a who concert early because I was bored. 
    With you on the first two, but I do love Mother Love Bone. 

Saw The Who awhile back and besides a few songs I was pretty bored. 
    NYPJ
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    wall232 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    With you on the first two, but I do love Mother Love Bone. 

Saw The Who awhile back and besides a few songs I was pretty bored. 
    I saw The Who in 2016 and liked it more than I thought I would.  I picked up their 2-disc 50th anniversary compilation and it is pretty hit or miss.  I think they have some good stuff but I am kinda a “hits” fan.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    i am shocked this has reached page 7 and everyone is being pretty civil.  It really doesn’t get Eddie vedder than this!!!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    i am shocked this has reached page 7 and everyone is being pretty civil.  It really doesn’t get Eddie vedder than this!!!
    Uncle Neil would be proud of the Jamily he's raised!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I am surprised too.  I think because it was titled "Unpopular Opinions" people don't need to respond and argue since the original poster is admitting these aren't wildly held opinions.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    mcgruff10 said:

• Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• cwjacwja Posts: 132
    I’m not a fan of any song featuring Stone on vocals or Jeff on guitar.

Just Breathe is better than Off He Goes

Sleeping By Myself is not only really good, it’s one of the highlights on Lightning Bolt.

Natalie Maines’ cover of Without You is better than the original.
  • Hagar > Roth
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    I've never really been a fan of Alive.
    Hagar > Roth
    OK everyone, I think we can shut this down
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Masters of War is a boring cover.  The only good version is the original cover Ed and Mike did for the Bob Dylan special or whatever.
    Masters of War is a boring cover.  The only good version is the original cover Ed and Mike did for the Bob Dylan special or whatever.
    Yes!!!!! I am gonna get roasted for this but I couldn’t care less when sting came out at the garden for driven to tears. Or when cheap trix came out and did whatever song they did. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield should only be ten songs long (each, of course).