Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    I never got the love for fatal or otherside.
    Oh, it's not a love for the actual songs, but more about that weird checklist people who tour with the band are all about.

Factually untrue. Those are amazing songs. And I'm a check-off hater.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Basilg said:
    You may not like his persona, arrogance, or politics, but to say Bono sucks is ignorant. 

I prefer his Macphisto alter-ego.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Sirius Billy Joel Channel > PJ Channel

Mainly because when they don't play his own music, his influences and friends are 10x's better than PJ's other than when Ed slips in a Who song.   I can listen to their music whenever I want without the channel (not saying that shouldn't be central to the respective channels. Just saying what's the differentiation).

But, also because his descriptions of his influences' music and styles and how he wrote his music is a lot more insightful than what is typically provided by the Boys. Or, maybe it's because of my first point. The Who, Zeppelin, The Kinks and others are just more talented than what PJ are trying to push on their tribe and have a more intricate perspective to describe.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

1.) Love Sirens
    2.) No outdoor shows
    3.) would prefer GA over reserved
    4.) Don't understand song chasers.
    5.) Although I love most of their covers I don't understand those whom love Crazy Mary so much.
    6.) They can keep playing 5-8 songs off of Ten every night and I would think it is great.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

lot of Sirens lovers coming out of the closet.

I wondered how that songs got so many streams

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Sirius Billy Joel Channel > PJ Channel

Mainly because when they don't play his own music, his influences and friends are 10x's better than PJ's other than when Ed slips in a Who song.   I can listen to their music whenever I want without the channel (not saying that shouldn't be central to the respective channels. Just saying what's the differentiation).

But, also because his descriptions of his influences' music and styles and how he wrote his music is a lot more insightful than what is typically provided by the Boys. Or, maybe it's because of my first point. The Who, Zeppelin, The Kinks and others are just more talented than what PJ are trying to push on their tribe and have a more intricate perspective to describe.
    Not suprised, I'm not a big fan of Pandora PJ channel. I prefer Bob Seger channel instead.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    mcgruff10 said:
    I never got the love for fatal or otherside.
    Oh, it's not a love for the actual songs, but more about that weird checklist people who tour with the band are all about.

Factually untrue. Those are amazing songs. And I'm a check-off hater.

Yeah I love Fatal as a song see my post above about song chasers :)
  • I skip  wishlist . 
    I love riot act
    I love other side and fatal because  I have a soul.
    I dislike all the pop  songs of late.
    Dave A is an amazing percussionist .
    Stone looks miserable.
    I'm done with posters and trading.
    Most songs are great live. Except sleeping by myself and just breathe oh and the end.
    I won't sit in a seat,rather not go.
    And last of all hypocrisy of fans is an annoyance  for me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Stone looks miserable.
    Please elaborate.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited October 2018
    Alright....this thing has exploded and I missed pages 3-5....so please excuse and duplicates.  
    Quickly:

-I really liked (loved) Lightning Bolt--the album....and think Lightning Bolt-- the song is one of their best songs played live
    -Despite repeated attempts to like them and considering EdVed loves them---I do not like the Who....
    -I will be forever scarred mother in law had a golf club mixer in which they had to music related dress up mixer.  While most people were dressing up like musicians or fans from the 60's and 70's....She chose Pearl Jam (a band that she knows nothing about other than the fact that I like them) and wore a pearl necklace with a jar of jam affixed to it along with a homemade shirt that involved ironing on the letters to form the words Pearl Jam....along with the fact that she doesn't know the urban dictionary definition of "pearl jam"....frankly it all made me uncomfortable
    -I hate people who call Eddie Vedder "EdVed"

• -Despite repeated attempts to like them and considering EdVed loves them---I do not like the Who....

Yikes. I don't even know how that's possible since they are the grandfathers of the PJ/Seattle Youth Angst thing and quite frankly do it 10 x's better.   I would suggest putting Quadrophenia on start to back and be transformed.  You can't like Leash without appreciating Punk Meets the Godfather
  • huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited October 2018

-Despite repeated attempts to like them and considering EdVed loves them---I do not like the Who....

Yikes. I don't even know how that's possible since they are the grandfathers of the PJ/Seattle Youth Angst thing and quite frankly do it 10 x's better.   I would suggest putting Quadrophenia on start to back and be transformed.  You can't like Leash without appreciating Punk Meets the Godfather
    I can appreciate the band and their position in the context of rock history....oddly, I cannot any longer get through listening to a complete album (and I do have all of them)...A handful of their songs are great--I'm looking at you "Won't Get Fooled Again"--but for the most part they do nothing to my soul.  I have read Townsend's autobiography and know that they were "there" when rock was taking off...but they seemed to always be on the back of the wave as opposed to riding it....or causing it for that matter.  

Let's be honest...my avatar is my 1964 Vespa (the same year that the Who formed)...I should love Quadrophenia...but it just okay in my estimation and have a hard time sitting down to listen to it start to finish.  Could be the ADD....could be a short attention span. Draw and quarter me if you must....

Frankly, this is coming from a guy who, much to the chagrin of Zepplin fans/friends of mine, thought In Through the Out Door was my favorite album....so, my opinion is potentially fatally flawed....

At least we can agree on our love for Pearl Jam...  :)

ps:  To disprove your theory (in the most respectful way possible) I love Leash and still don't love the Who....
    Post edited by huntersthompson on

• -Despite repeated attempts to like them and considering EdVed loves them---I do not like the Who....

I can appreciate the band and their position in the context of rock history....oddly, I cannot any longer get through listening to a complete album (and I do have all of them)...A handful of their songs are great--I'm looking at you "Won't Get Fooled Again"--but for the most part they do nothing to my soul.  I have read Townsend's autobiography and know that they were "there" when rock was taking off...but they seemed to always be on the back of the wave as opposed to riding it....or causing it for that matter.  

Let's be honest...my avatar is my 1964 Vespa (the same year that the Who formed)...I should love Quadrophenia...but it just okay in my estimation and have a hard time sitting down to listen to it start to finish.  Could be the ADD....could be a short attention span. Draw and quarter me if you must....

Frankly, this is coming from a guy who, much to the chagrin of Zepplin fans/friends of mine, thought In Through the Out Door was my favorite album....so, my opinion is potentially fatally flawed....

ps:  To disprove your theory (in the most respectful way possible) I love Leash and still don't love the Who....
    Ha, ha. Nice.  The only thing I think you got wrong is that they didn't break new ground. John Entwistle was the original lead bassist.    Pete Townsend is one of the best guitarists and songwriters of all time.    Keith Moon was one of the great drummers and Roger one of the great front men. Not only didn't have a single weakness, but had a top 10 at each of their "positions."  Can't think of another band that's true of (John Paul Jones?  Billy Wyman or Charlie Watts?  Ringo Starr?). 

And they were the original best and loudest live band.
    Remember - The Stones never released THEIR Rock N' Roll Circus until much later because everyone thought The Who out shined them (which if you've since seen it is so clearly true that at least they were self aware enough if not humble enough).

Not to mention the invention of the successful full Rock Opera.

They sat second to none (well, maybe The Beatles, who love or hate them, sit before everyone).

Of course, my opinion is slanted as they are my all time favorite band. So, take all that for what it's worth.

And Leash (etc.) and the rest of the Seattle scene does not exist without The Who. Yes, there are clearly other influences, but that's the core of it.  But, that doesn't mean you have to like it.  Just makes it strange.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    Milestone said:
    Stone looks miserable.
    Please elaborate.
    HAha, the studio musician stuck in an endless rock n roll nightmare
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Ha, ha. Nice.  The only thing I think you got wrong is that they didn't break new ground. John Entwistle was the original lead bassist.    Pete Townsend is one of the best guitarists and songwriters of all time.    Keith Moon was one of the great drummers and Roger one of the great front men. Not only didn't have a single weakness, but had a top 10 at each of their "positions."  Can't think of another band that's true of (John Paul Jones?  Billy Wyman or Charlie Watts?  Ringo Starr?). 

And they were the original best and loudest live band.
    Remember - The Stones never released THEIR Rock N' Roll Circus until much later because everyone thought The Who out shined them (which if you've since seen it is so clearly true that at least they were self aware enough if not humble enough).

Not to mention the invention of the successful full Rock Opera.

They sat second to none (well, maybe The Beatles, who love or hate them, sit before everyone).

Of course, my opinion is slanted as they are my all time favorite band. So, take all that for what it's worth.

And Leash (etc.) and the rest of the Seattle scene does not exist without The Who. Yes, there are clearly other influences, but that's the core of it.  But, that doesn't mean you have to like it.  Just makes it strange.
    All true. I will add one thing that I do agree with an earlier post. There aren't many Who albums I can listen to straight through though. Who's Next is probably the only one. There's too much banter/non songs/fake adds or whatever else they decided to do. Really kills the flow of the albums for me. But even with that, each album has several killer songs.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited October 2018
    KidAOK said:

"He has literally raised millions".

The truth is he has gave hardly any of his fortune to charity, he has asked working class people to reach into their pockets instead when they can ill afford to in today's climate.  He has become an even wealthier man due to his "humanitarian" efforts.  The band moved all €400million of their earnings out of Ireland to avoid paying tax too, and while I can't fault him for playing the system he has a cheek asking people to help the less fortunate when he's moving money around to avoid doing it himself.

Fuck Bono, santamonious cunt.
    How do you know for a fact Bono has donated "hardly any of his fortune"?
    I was with you all the way until this statement. 
    You could probably say the punk movement of the '70's and '80's don't exist without The Who.  
    All subjective.  No right or wrong.  And yes, I do love the Who.  I'm just not ready to give them credit for the Seattle movement (or even a part of it).  It's way too far removed by years, geography, style, ect....
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited October 2018
    Here's one...The hat Ed wore at Ohana is a terrible look for him.. ;)
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I love America and Yellow Ledbetter but I absolutely despise when Mike plays the Star Spangled Banner.  It’s not a rock song and it completely ruins the vibe of otherwise fanstastic shows. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Im a conservative...

GHAD that feels good to finally get off my chest.

Plus I can’t stand Ed playing guitar.
    Dont mind if he writes guitar parts but I prefer when he is a “singing only” frontman. 

• Jbarker said:
    Im a conservative...

Dont mind if he writes guitar parts but I prefer when he is a “singing only” frontman. 

But without the guitar strapped to him there is always the risk that he’s gonna start throwing out tamborines...
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2018
    Jbarker said:
    Im a conservative...

But without the guitar strapped to him there is always the risk that he’s gonna start throwing out tamborines...
    That's funny. This is a great thread.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mcgruff10 said:
    MedozK said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Using any of the following phrases is really really lame:
    1. Uncle Neil (you aren’t in the band and he isn’t your uncle.)
    2. Jamily 
    3. It doesn’t get “Eddie Vedder” than this. (No, no and no.)
    May I add one...it's a Benaroya Hall  .... not a Benny!!!
    I'll add to this as well:
    It's EBAY.  Not "the bay."  Not "the auction site."  Not "that site that can't be named."  It has never been against the rules to type the word "ebay" when referring to ebay.
    It doesnt get Eddie Vedder than picking up a  cheap Benny in lost dogs and not on the bay!  God I love the Jamily!!!  Too bad Uncle Neil didn’t play that night

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Jbarker said:
    Im a conservative...

😆 shoot, you’re right.

okay maybe another...
    I don’t think it was Stone at all.
    I think it was Ed!

Man, this is cathartic.
  • letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Well, after reading through this thread, an unpopular opinion is that I like U2 and Bono  

Regarding PJ, i do not like Amongst the Waves at all. Love most of backspacer, but this song has always grated on me.  Of the small handful of other PJ songs I don't like, many would probably agree, but I'm sure I'm on a bit of an island with AtW 
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Unpopular opinion?

Dave A. is a good drummer but I feel like there is a lot of overhype.  And I can see why he wasn't inducted in the HOF, with Dave Krusen covering the "big" hits in the studio like Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy, etc. with Matt Cameron covering the role of solid, consistent drummer with the band for 20 years.  I love the energy and even love the "overplaying" Dave A. did with his crash cymbals and fills, but overall a lot of people give Matt flack for not sounding just like him and I feel like as a PJ drummer Matt is underrated by many especially on youtube lol
  • And one other one!

I do not get the concept of "piss break" songs.  I have been to many GA shows in general, and have always found it easy to use the restroom before the show starts and would rather hear the entire live show in full.  And I would never get tired of Even Flow to ever consider leaving the crowd to do other things
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Given to Fly doesn't work as an opening song
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    Unpopular opinion?

Dave A. is a good drummer but I feel like there is a lot of overhype.  And I can see why he wasn't inducted in the HOF, with Dave Krusen covering the "big" hits in the studio like Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy, etc. with Matt Cameron covering the role of solid, consistent drummer with the band for 20 years.  I love the energy and even love the "overplaying" Dave A. did with his crash cymbals and fills, but overall a lot of people give Matt flack for not sounding just like him and I feel like as a PJ drummer Matt is underrated by many especially on youtube lol
    I think a lot of the Dave love is because most of us, despise our long-term dedication, put the first three albums way above the rest. That was his era (since Krusen was gone before we knew it).  That and we relate to his willingness to embrace big sales...we’re more like him than like Ed and we view the firing as unfair.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Unpopular opinion?

RnRHoF should just induct the artist/band though, and not pick and choose members or go further than "Artist/band X is chosen to be inducted¨. That would solve the problem. And the artists/bands would decide who gets to be up on the stage or get a throphY.

Just stupid someone should sit and decide and go into detail about what concerning an artist that matters or not.