what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    While cleaning today, I recalled a pool party I was at about a month ago.  My gratitude for even being invited is tenfold.  However, she thumbed down Neil Young on Pandora when Keep on Rocking in a Free World came on.  It seems they had been getting a lot of random Youngs that week and she was burnt out.  Like nails on a chalkboard my music soul halted and almost said something, but when in Rome...  Then I heard that part from Sweet Home Alabama the other day where they sing, "I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow".  What was there deal with Young?   There was a time when I would want to know the meaning behind that story, but now I realize life is too short.    Keep on Rocking in a Free World means we still have freedom of speech.  That is so important.  So many are looking the other way right now on politics, because of all the noise.  If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Neil wrote 2 songs that apparently pissed off Skynyrd-  "Southern Man" and "Alabama" but in actuality Young and the band were really good friends. Some say that Neil wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    lolobugg said:
    While cleaning today, I recalled a pool party I was at about a month ago.  My gratitude for even being invited is tenfold.  However, she thumbed down Neil Young on Pandora when Keep on Rocking in a Free World came on.  It seems they had been getting a lot of random Youngs that week and she was burnt out.  Like nails on a chalkboard my music soul halted and almost said something, but when in Rome...  Then I heard that part from Sweet Home Alabama the other day where they sing, "I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow".  What was there deal with Young?   There was a time when I would want to know the meaning behind that story, but now I realize life is too short.    Keep on Rocking in a Free World means we still have freedom of speech.  That is so important.  So many are looking the other way right now on politics, because of all the noise.  If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Neil wrote 2 songs that apparently pissed off Skynyrd-  "Southern Man" and "Alabama" but in actuality Young and the band were really good friends. Some say that Neil wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd.
    Yeah, Sweet Home Alabama was kind of a tongue-in-cheek jab back at Neil Young. A quote I've read went something to the effect of Neil Young "shot all the ducks to kill one or two." If you listen closely to the lyrics, you'll see that they were against the racism and segregation that Young brought up in those songs. 
    lolobugg said:

Yeah, Sweet Home Alabama was kind of a tongue-in-cheek jab back at Neil Young. A quote I've read went something to the effect of Neil Young "shot all the ducks to kill one or two." If you listen closely to the lyrics, you'll see that they were against the racism and segregation that Young brought up in those songs. 

"In Birmingham, they love the governor (Wallace)... boo boo boo"  anti-racist lyrics from LS

I guess the Drive BY Truckers "Southern Rock Opera" tells the tale musically of Neil and Skynyrd and George Wallace.  :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugg said:

Thank you for the info.  Much obliged. :)
  • lolobugg said:

Thank you

lolobugg said:

@pickupyourwill

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/see-neil-young-stray-gators-record-alabama-barn-1971-731506/

here is a little article mentioning what we talked about a few days ago.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

@pickupyourwill

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/see-neil-young-stray-gators-record-alabama-barn-1971-731506/

here is a little article mentioning what we talked about a few days ago.

Thank you :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    july 2019
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Overall, my heart is doing good. The functionality is good, and it's working as good as it can given that I was born with Tetralogy of Fallot (same heart defect as Jimmy Kimmel's son.)

The bad news is that I have aflutter, in fact I had a 31 hour episode from Sunday to this morning. It has been an issue for two years. My heart goes fast and hard. Again, my cardiologists do not see evidence of this ruining my heart. Cardiac ablation is becoming an option, though to get rid of the aflutter (if it works.) It would include an overnight stay. I would have it done in NYC where I had my last open heart surgery. It is not an emergency, but it may happen within a year unless my aflutter decreases in amount and time. 

Aflutter is like a bully: won't leave me alone, and beats me up.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Sending you hugs and good vibes Ms Haiku.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Overall, my heart is doing good. The functionality is good, and it's working as good as it can given that I was born with Tetralogy of Fallot (same heart defect as Jimmy Kimmel's son.)

The bad news is that I have aflutter, in fact I had a 31 hour episode from Sunday to this morning. It has been an issue for two years. My heart goes fast and hard. Again, my cardiologists do not see evidence of this ruining my heart. Cardiac ablation is becoming an option, though to get rid of the aflutter (if it works.) It would include an overnight stay. I would have it done in NYC where I had my last open heart surgery. It is not an emergency, but it may happen within a year unless my aflutter decreases in amount and time. 

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or in health care.

Someone I'm very close with has a heart murmur that will cause them to go into SVT (super-fast heart rate). Cardiologist has mentioned an ablation, but doesn't think it's necessary. He listed the triggers for SVT (alcohol, caffeine, etc.) and put them on a low dose beta blocker to help control the heart rate. They have no problems as long as they stay away from the triggers or take an extra dose of the beta blocker, should they consume something with a trigger. This may not be an option for you, but it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor about it.

Anyways, hoping for the best with this.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    The bad news is that I have aflutter, in fact I had a 31 hour episode from Sunday to this morning. It has been an issue for two years. My heart goes fast and hard. Again, my cardiologists do not see evidence of this ruining my heart. Cardiac ablation is becoming an option, though to get rid of the aflutter (if it works.)

Someone I'm very close with has a heart murmur that will cause them to go into SVT (super-fast heart rate). Cardiologist has mentioned an ablation, but doesn't think it's necessary. He listed the triggers for SVT (alcohol, caffeine, etc.) and put them on a low dose beta blocker to help control the heart rate. They have no problems as long as they stay away from the triggers or take an extra dose of the beta blocker, should they consume something with a trigger. This may not be an option for you, but it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor about it.

Thank you, markymark550 :)

Yep, we looked at all triggers, and I've been on different types of drugs to decrease my heart rate or decrease the number of episodes. Hasn't worked. I'm not stubborn, but my heart is. 

Hahaha! I just made myself laugh.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    The bad news is that I have aflutter, in fact I had a 31 hour episode from Sunday to this morning. It has been an issue for two years. My heart goes fast and hard. Again, my cardiologists do not see evidence of this ruining my heart. Cardiac ablation is becoming an option, though to get rid of the aflutter (if it works.)

Thank you, markymark550 :)

Yep, we looked at all triggers, and I've been on different types of drugs to decrease my heart rate or decrease the number of episodes. Hasn't worked. I'm not stubborn, but my heart is. 

Hahaha! I just made myself laugh.
    You're welcome. And sorry that nothing the doctor prescribed worked. Still hopeful something will work for you.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I'm super stoked because tonight I'm going to see Free Solo, the documentary of Alex Honnold's free solo ascent of El Capitan. I know it's going to be nerve wracking even though the outcome is a foregone conclusion. I'm sure it's going to be pretty inspiring for me to push myself in my own climbing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    that line in the song was in direct rebuttal to Young's song "Southern Man". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    How cool is this?? They set up marshmallow roasting stations on campus!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

BYOM? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:

BYOM? 
    No, marshmallows provided!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BYOM? 
    No, marshmallows provided!
    That is very cool. 
  • While cleaning today, I recalled a pool party I was at about a month ago.  My gratitude for even being invited is tenfold.  However, she thumbed down Neil Young on Pandora when Keep on Rocking in a Free World came on.  It seems they had been getting a lot of random Youngs that week and she was burnt out.  Like nails on a chalkboard my music soul halted and almost said something, but when in Rome...  Then I heard that part from Sweet Home Alabama the other day where they sing, "I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow".  What was there deal with Young?   There was a time when I would want to know the meaning behind that story, but now I realize life is too short.    Keep on Rocking in a Free World means we still have freedom of speech.  That is so important.  So many are looking the other way right now on politics, because of all the noise.  If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.
    They were all friends. Just giving eachother a hard time/joking with each other through song. 
    Just read Brian's turntable thread, now "I've got 2 turntables and a microphone" is looping in my head.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    They were all friends. Just giving eachother a hard time/joking with each other through song. 
    yes, I read that later. for the longest time I honestly thought it was a real feud. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm kind of disappointed with this latest season of American Horror Story.  Cool tie-ins to a couple of seasons, but overall meh.

(Seems a bit...coincidental...that the writing and storyline went to shit after one of the creators got with the Paltrow chick.)
  • Should I shower long, or quick.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    hedonist said:
    I'm kind of disappointed with this latest season of American Horror Story.  Cool tie-ins to a couple of seasons, but overall meh.

(Seems a bit...coincidental...that the writing and storyline went to shit after one of the creators got with the Paltrow chick.)
    I don’t watch the show but isn’t it from Ryan Murphy?  I’ve stppped watching anything made by him as I’ve found the first season or two are really good, but after that he seems to lose interest and the quality of the programs drops so significantly that they become an onerous slog to get through.  That’s just my personal view though.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited November 2018
    hedonist said:

I don’t watch the show but isn’t it from Ryan Murphy?  I’ve stppped watching anything made by him as I’ve found the first season or two are really good, but after that he seems to lose interest and the quality of the programs drops so significantly that they become an onerous slog to get through.  That’s just my personal view though.
    Yup, that's him (along with Falchuk).  I loved the Coven and Freaks seasons, though Asylum is my favorite.  Absolutely beautiful and well-done, almost operatic.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Should I shower long, or quick.
    Long. It should be a pleasure!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    I will swallow fluoride...until I grow immune..~

"Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..