Backspacer turns 14 years old

Comments

• ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I didn't appreciate Speed of Sound till I heard it live in Ottawa in 2016. It's really a lovely song.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Love this record.  Right album, right time of life, more than the right impact for me @ a time when I so desperately was looking for something to help me harness what I was feeling.
    Forever thankful to Pearl Jam for this record.
    I understand many do not love it....but then again I usually place Binaural and Riot Act at the bottom of my 10 album rankings....and I know that makes people lose their fucking minds.  :lol:  I love them both but I love the other 8 just a bit more usually.
    To each their own!

Backspacer, thank you!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pearl Jam has never made a bad album.  Backspacer included.  Sure, it's short and the songs are more poppy, radio-friendly, however you want to describe them, but they don't lack substance.  They're not bad - not by any stretch.  I don't care what anyone says, it's a great album!

• igotid88 said:
    i will never get sick&tired of this song/video
    LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah.   Fight to get it back again. Yeah yeah yeah yeah.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    The Fixer is awesome.  Love that tune. 
    The Fixer is poppy Pearl jam at their best. Even the chorus is defiant.  Fight to get it back again.  Love that line. 
  • Backspacer is probably my least favorite studio album, but I'm with the last few posters on The Fixer- it's easily one of my favorites on that album. If you take it for what it is and don't over analyze anything, it's just a solid song. It's probably not going to change many lives, but it is what it is. Got Some, The Fixer, Speed of Sound, Force of Nature, and The End are the tops of that album for me. 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Digital LP Side 2 on now...

"...and evidence that you're worth keeping"

Love the way the drums on this record sound.  
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I like most of it.  johnny guitar, got some, the fixer, gonna see my friend, just breathe, unthought known, supersonic and the end.   all good songs.  I think unthought known is my big takeaway from the album.

Can't believe it's been 8 years though... still feels like a new album.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    I really like Backspacer after all these 8 years. No issues for me. I think it is a short fun filled action packed recording with some cool cover art. An astronaut playing drums in space? What could be cooler?????
  • TJ25487 said:
    I really like Backspacer after all these 8 years. No issues for me. I think it is a short fun filled action packed recording with some cool cover art. An astronaut playing drums in space? What could be cooler?????
    An astronaut playing drums in space with a fedora on?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited September 2017
    Happy 8th you sexy lean record you!! Wore my BS tee to work to celebrate. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Did not truly appreciate the cover until i landed this bad boy.  I know i’ll never come remotely close to some people’s PJ collections here but this is my crown jewel. 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The typewriter keys are killer.
    Amongst the Waves is a top ten song all day long.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Did not truly appreciate the cover until i landed this bad boy.  I know i’ll never come remotely close to some people’s PJ collections here but this is my crown jewel. 
    I like it!
    Tiki said:
    The typewriter keys are killer.
    Amongst the Waves is a top ten song all day long.
    Yesss!!!
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    TJ25487 said:
    An astronaut playing drums in space with a fedora on?
    Hahaha! Yes, that would make Johnny Guitar Watson very proud! 
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited September 2017
    I've bagged on this record much in the past but when Lightning Bolt came out I realized that its not so bad.... :wink:
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I often listen to BS in the car. it's a great cruising record! And while I don't like the cheese of Sirens, I don't get that from Just Breathe. I think it's a really good song. 

SoS demo is amazing. Love it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Force Of Nature!!!!!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I like this album a lot, some fun memories of being in Seattle and going to the listening party at Easy Street records on a Saturday night, two days before their shows in Seattle. Anyone else go to it?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Great Album. Nuff said.  
  • I like this album a lot, some fun memories of being in Seattle and going to the listening party at Easy Street records on a Saturday night, two days before their shows in Seattle. Anyone else go to it?
    Didn't make it to Easy Street however we did pick up BS south of Bellingham, WA. maybe was Burlington on the Sunday afternoon run down from Vancouver and crammed in all the listening we could. First 10c experience and first full PJ shows, only prior was Honolulu with U2(and we were hooked). Great seats 
    on the wings Stone side night 1, Mike side night 2. We were blown away by the whole experience then we made our 
    way home to Vancouver for the Friday night show, picked up our tickets about 8:00 PM cast a quick glance and thought our luck had run out, we're Row 36 seat 1 etc on the floor. Well a closer look revealed the tix to be ROW 1 seat 35 and 36 right in front of Stone. What a week and yes fond memories of BS' release and still enjoy the album today. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145
    Happy 9th
    I miss igotid88
    Under-appreciated and often overlooked by the masses.  It's a great album!
    Under-appreciated and often overlooked by the masses.  It's a great album!
    +1
  • This thread makes me feel old.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    It's my 18 year old's favorite PJ album

My least favorite but one album has to be on the bottom.  

Top five would be Unthought/Amongst/Johnny/GSMF/Speed
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville