Scalping and Ticketmaster

Very interesting read......not shocking but does explain a lot, not even trying to hide it now
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/a-public-relations-nightmare-ticketmaster-recruits-pros-for-secret-scalper-program-1.4828535

'93 Toronto
'94 Detroit
'10 Columbus
'11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
'13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
'14 Detroit
'16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
'18 Chicago 1 and 2
'22 Hamilton, Toronto

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    From the article:

"The audience heard that Ticketmaster has developed a professional reseller program and within the past year launched TradeDesk, a web-based inventory management system for scalpers. The company touts it as "The most powerful ticket sales tool. Ever."

The key word their being "tools".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    The only way to stop this would be for a massive Ticketmaster boycott, leaving seats empty at multiple venues...In other words, it is not going to stop.
    PJPOWER said:
    The only way to stop this would be for a massive Ticketmaster boycott, leaving seats empty at multiple venues...In other words, it is not going to stop.
    Or get Stone to go back to the Senate to speak. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJPOWER said:
    agreed....when you log in to buy tickets you actually have to tell it to NOT show you the reseller tickets listed.  It's bullshit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited September 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Or get Stone to go back to the Senate to speak. 
    I so wish that is all it would take...It will take a lot  more than Stone “throwing Stones” ;) to bring down the giant at this point.
    PJPOWER said:
    agreed....when you log in to buy tickets you actually have to tell it to NOT show you the reseller tickets listed.  It's bullshit
    It is aweful.  Anymore, if you want to see a big name, you pretty much just expect to have to buy from a scalper.  I usually try to hit up the box office (often they will hold a certain percentage of tickets), but have not been near as successful going this route over the past several years.  
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    It is aweful.  Anymore, if you want to see a big name, you pretty much just expect to have to buy from a scalper.  I usually try to hit up the box office (often they will hold a certain percentage of tickets), but have not been near as successful going this route over the past several years.  
    if only all bands backed PJ back in the 90s.   The whole system sucks.  Bands should be in control of the tickets to their shows.  

nothing anyone could tell me ticketmaster does would shock me at this point.  
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    if only all bands backed PJ back in the 90s.   The whole system sucks.  Bands should be in control of the tickets to their shows.  

Or if fans only went to shows headlined by bands that speak out against Ticket Master.  Only question is- what percentage of fans give a rat's ass?

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Or if fans only went to shows headlined by bands that speak out against Ticket Master.  Only question is- what percentage of fans give a rat's ass?
    I don't.  I've never failed to get a ticket through Ticketmaster.  I've also read that bands sell tickets on 3rd party ticket re-sellers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

very few will ever do that.  If i want to see an act I'll pay to see it.  I don't even bother with ticketmaster on sales anymore.  i'll just check stub hub for shows i'm interested in and if the price is to my liking i'll go.  
  • brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I don't.  I've never failed to get a ticket through Ticketmaster.  I've also read that bands sell tickets on 3rd party ticket re-sellers.
    Usually it's the Management company that does that.

Band will make X dollars no matter what so Mgmt company can sell these prime seats to resellers for Y amount of money to recoup costs and turn a higher profit.

Ticketmaster has a program that directs you right to reseller tickets 10 seconds AFTER THE TICKETS WENT LIVE!!!

This was the whole reason for bots being made in the first place, for concert tickets.  So next time you try for that poster or dope pair of kicks you can thank TM...

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it will take regulation of the industry to do anything. and there would be MASSIVE blowback on that, from all sides. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Glad i've stopped attending big ticket shows no band is worth it none ! i'll support small local bands 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The bands could also take less?  Most of these bands are far wealthier than they deserve.  When is the last pj sold tickets for 35.  I saw McCartney a few tears back for less than 50 after fees.  My wife and I saw the stones 50th for 100 Canadian with fees, 2 tickkets. Does pj still charge 1 price no matter where you sit.  Perhaps they could charge the seat snobs who need to be close enough to pluck Vedder nose hair 200 and offer 35 seats for the nose bleed seats...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The bands could also take less?  Most of these bands are far wealthier than they deserve.  When is the last pj sold tickets for 35.  I saw McCartney a few tears back for less than 50 after fees.  My wife and I saw the stones 50th for 100 Canadian with fees, 2 tickkets. Does pj still charge 1 price no matter where you sit.  Perhaps they could charge the seat snobs who need to be close enough to pluck Vedder nose hair 200 and offer 35 seats for the nose bleed seats...
    no. touring is a band/artist's bread and butter. no one (but me, it seems) buys albums anymore. they make no money on that. that's why ticket prices and merch costs have skyrocketed since napster. 

and these arena shows are expensive to put on. a huge amount of overhead is created for many of these tours. not everyone is becoming milionaires off touring. those are the top 2% of touring acts, not the norm. 

ticketbastard has gouged fans with massive and ridiculous fees for years, and they get away with it "as a prive enterprise", even though they are clearly a monopoly. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So because you play the guitar you think you have the right to. be super rich.  Lots of bands bring affordability to their concerts.  Why should people who sit in the nosebleeds pay the same as the douche who wants to pluck vedders nose hairs?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I mentioned 2 of the biggest bands/musicians ever who at least off affordable options.  If they can do it others can,  but won't...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2018
    So because you play the guitar you think you have the right to. be super rich.  Lots of bands bring affordability to their concerts.  Why should people who sit in the nosebleeds pay the same as the douche who wants to pluck vedders nose hairs?
    what? what are you talking about? who said anything about being super rich? (no one has a "right" to anything expect to be free and basic necessities of life)

I said the opposite, actually, that putting on an arena rock show is incredibly expensive. it takes a shitload of people and money to put it on. and they don't make any money from their music anymore, so something had to give. ticket prices were going to be the give. 

in what universe do nosebleeds and front row seats cost the same?
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and why shouldn't an artist ask for what they are worth? it's no different than a professional accountant who excels at their job getting paid $250K at one firm as opposed to the not-so-awesome accountant who makes $50K somewhere else. there's disparity in every field, not just entertainment. just because the dollar figure is something that you are find incredibly unnecessary is besides the point. 

it's the same as a homeless person telling you that you are a greedy piece of shit for paying $50 a year for a membership on a band's website when you could be taking less at your job or giving that money to charity. it's all relative. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

You think musicians are worth more than a doctor?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    how many fans are waiting in line for days to get rail at a surgery?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    I think they're worth more than the Ticketmaster bottom line.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2018
    Its a scam.  We knew that.  Their silly photo match game is only designed to keep me and you delayed as long as possible.

This is proof of blatant fraud. 
  • MayDay10 said:
    Its a scam.  We knew that.  Their silly photo match game is only designed to keep me and you delayed as long as possible.

This is proof of blatant fraud. 

Hmmm. Interesting theory.

They promote the step as something designed to make the experience better for the fans (a measure taken to battle automated programs). It's not out of the realm of possibilities it's exactly the opposite of this though (and that would be utterly outrageous if so).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • So because you play the guitar you think you have the right to. be super rich.  Lots of bands bring affordability to their concerts.  Why should people who sit in the nosebleeds pay the same as the douche who wants to pluck vedders nose hairs?
    what? what are you talking about? who said anything about being super rich? (no one has a "right" to anything expect to be free and basic necessities of life)

I said the opposite, actually, that putting on an arena rock show is incredibly expensive. it takes a shitload of people and money to put it on. and they don't make any money from their music anymore, so something had to give. ticket prices were going to be the give. 

Ummm . . . the Pearl Jam universe . . . that's where nosebleeds and front row costs the same

Ummm . . . the Pearl Jam universe . . . that's where nosebleeds and front row costs the same
    really? I honestly never knew that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

jesus. of course not. when musicians start getting paid with our tax money, ask me again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2018
    its funny that the theme of that article is:  "thats bad for PR".  Who cares?  They have a near monopoly. If I buy a ticket for anything, pretty much, I need to go through ticketmaster.  The other choice is to not go.  My home arena uses Tickets.com which is a horrible online selling system and interface.

These kind of things are an example of why we need government involvement and regulations dealing with private business, especially in areas where competition has been all but eliminated.  People wring their hands for a few peanuts in tax dollars, and out of the other side of their peanut brains fight for the "rights" of companies like ticketmaster, verizon, or AT&T to just bend us over and leverage the lack of competition to raid our wallets and limit our service.  Not to mention allowing industry to actively poison us.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
     Ticketmaster Calls Resale Accusations 'Categorically Untrue'

https://www.pollstar.com/article/ticketmaster-calls-resale-accusations-categorically-untrue-136338