framed poster thread

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure if any of you remember Chris (the Hoff) from the boards.  He is a framer from Virginia who did a ton of frames for some of us a few years back.

I'm talking to him about doing some frames for me and he wanted me to ask if there might be any interest from anyone else?  He can give us some price breaks depending on how many frames he puts together.  

The frames he did for me were perfect.  I can post some pictures if you like.  Much better job than Michael's/HobbyLobby and less expensive.  I can provide more details when I hear from him.

I'm looking to get at least 10 framed.

Here is a link to some of his work.  He did the New York Donkey Kong for me as well.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/249500/trade-hampton-ga-for-pj-poster-framing
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I'm not sure if any of you remember Chris (the Hoff) from the boards.  He is a framer from Virginia who did a ton of frames for some of us a few years back.

I'm talking to him about doing some frames for me and he wanted me to ask if there might be any interest from anyone else?  He can give us some price breaks depending on how many frames he puts together.  

The frames he did for me were perfect.  I can post some pictures if you like.  Much better job than Michael's/HobbyLobby and less expensive.  I can provide more details when I hear from him.

Here is a link to some of his work.  He did the New York Donkey Kong for me as well.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/249500/trade-hampton-ga-for-pj-poster-framing
    I do... I stood next to him at Hampton.  Turns out he's a good friend of a good friend.  His shop in Richmond is a high end gallery.  It's about 10 minutes from me.  I'd jump in on this for my 12x36 prints.  I frame my own that use standard size frames, but I don't have the tools to build a custom frame and my mat cutter only goes 40".  

I would probably do a few with him.  Keep me informed.  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

I’d potentially be interested but the shipping cost (once framed) from Virginia to Chicago will be steep I’m sure. I just dropped a couple off at Michael’s last night and I’m looking for a cheaper (quality) option going forward. 
    bbiggs said:

I’d potentially be interested but the shipping cost (once framed) from Virginia to Chicago will be steep I’m sure. I just dropped a couple off at Michael’s last night and I’m looking for a cheaper (quality) option going forward. 
    I think I paid $20 from VA to Indy but that was a few years ago.  He ships them in really nice styrofoam protected packages.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:

I do... I stood next to him at Hampton.  Turns out he's a good friend of a good friend.  His shop in Richmond is a high end gallery.  It's about 10 minutes from me.  I'd jump in on this for my 12x36 prints.  I frame my own that use standard size frames, but I don't have the tools to build a custom frame and my mat cutter only goes 40".  

wow....if I was 10 minutes from him I would probably have about 30 more posters on my walls :)

bbiggs said:

I think I paid $20 from VA to Indy but that was a few years ago.  He ships them in really nice styrofoam protected packages.
    Not bad. Definitely interested. 
    edited September 2018
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

He's getting me details.  He should be able to tell us roughly how much each frame would be and the price points depending on how many of us commit.  He can likely give us an idea on shipping as well.  The Hoff is a pro.  I'm color blind so some of his expertise is kind of meaningless to me but he called me to give me his opinion on mats, frames, etc. and I was impressed.

bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

He's getting me details.  He should be able to tell us roughly how much each frame would be and the price points depending on how many of us commit.  He can likely give us an idea on shipping as well.  The Hoff is a pro.  I'm color blind so some of his expertise is kind of meaningless to me but he called me to give me his opinion on mats, frames, etc. and I was impressed.
    Awesome. Thank you!
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

It is most definitely a professional shop.  
    http://westendgalleryrva.com/custom-framing/

More of his work here....an EV poster included

mrussel1 said:

wow....if I was 10 minutes from him I would probably have about 30 more posters on my walls :)
    Haha.. yeah I have a lot of prints on my walls, which is exactly why I bought the materials to do most of them myself.  Shit gets pricey in a hurry, even at a discount.  But the 12x36 are a bitch, so I'm willing to spend some money on a few that I really love, but haven't been able to do.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha.. yeah I have a lot of prints on my walls, which is exactly why I bought the materials to do most of them myself.  Shit gets pricey in a hurry, even at a discount.  But the 12x36 are a bitch, so I'm willing to spend some money on a few that I really love, but haven't been able to do.  
    do you do your own matting, etc?  I considered that with the 18x24 prints but I was afraid I would buy the equipment and fuck it up.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    http://westendgalleryrva.com/custom-framing/

More of his work here....an EV poster included
    I know exactly where that is!  My old roommate lived off Three Chopt for a while.
  • mcrieckenmcriecken Indiana Posts: 265
    A website where we can upload framed posters. Select the poster you want to view to see all user uploads. View a gallery of random frames / most recent frames. Just a few ideas... Would you guys find this useful?
    St. Louis, USA 10-05-2004 | Chicago, USA 08-23-2009 | Indianapolis, USA 05-07-2010 | Hartford, USA 10-25-2013 | Lexington, USA 04-26-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-22-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-18-2018 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2018
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I'd be interested!

9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

do you do your own matting, etc?  I considered that with the 18x24 prints but I was afraid I would buy the equipment and fuck it up.
    It's easy, once you do one or two.  And if you fuck it up.. who cares.  You fucked up a $10 board and you do it again.  If you like custom, fancy frames, then yes you need to go to a framer.  But all of my prints are on the same floor, so I like the uniformity of black frame.  I wait until they are 50 to 60% off.  So like the DMB Tsang I posted above, that cost me $45 in materials.  $26 for the frame, and $10 for each of the two boards (you can't see in the pic, but it is black and silver).  18x24 prints are super easy and the vast majority of my prints. 
    I get the frames at Michael's and the board at Hobby Lobby.  They have a really good selection.  Sometimes I will get some special board that can run up to $35 a sheet.  I did that with my Miami Sperry because I loved it so much, but usually I am happy with one of the 30 or so colors Hobby carries.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Going to the office tomorrow..
    Interesting....so you get a 22x26 frame?  

What about the glass?  That's another thing I got paranoid about.  It seemed like people were saying the Michael's frames didn't have good glass.  Or does that even matter if it isn't in direct sunlight, etc?

mrussel1 said:

What about the glass?  That's another thing I got paranoid about.  It seemed like people were saying the Michael's frames didn't have good glass.  Or does that even matter if it isn't in direct sunlight, etc?
    That one is 22x28, so you have a clean 2" all around.  Regarding the glass, I think that's probably true if you are in direct sunlight, but I'm just not buying that you should pay more if you're not.  My prints are in a huge room (14x39), it's my third floor.  So it only has one window and I have darkening shades in there so it's dark 100% of the time.  It's also where I keep my records, so I protect everything in there.  You aren't framing a Monet that you're counting on to create a trust fund for your grandchildren.  There's just no way your prints will deteriorate before you are dead.  And after you're gone, well who cares?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That one is 22x28, so you have a clean 2" all around.  Regarding the glass, I think that's probably true if you are in direct sunlight, but I'm just not buying that you should pay more if you're not.  My prints are in a huge room (14x39), it's my third floor.  So it only has one window and I have darkening shades in there so it's dark 100% of the time.  It's also where I keep my records, so I protect everything in there.  You aren't framing a Monet that you're counting on to create a trust fund for your grandchildren.  There's just no way your prints will deteriorate before you are dead.  And after you're gone, well who cares?
    yeah I'm overthinking it I'm sure.  Do you use two mats?

This is at work now.  Two different sizes.  Easy jobs. 

Yes, I'm almost always use two mats.  Watch this video for a 2 minute tutorial from Logan (they make the mat cutters).  These are small prints, but the process is exactly the same.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HaN8AFQnoA&t=35s
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, I'm almost always use two mats.  Watch this video for a 2 minute tutorial from Logan (they make the mat cutters).  These are small prints, but the process is exactly the same.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HaN8AFQnoA&t=35s
    interesting...thanks!

If you decide to do it, wait until you get a 50% coupon from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  You can get the cutter for less than $100 with those.  Feel free to PM me if you have questions.  Glad to help. 
    mrussel1 said:
    If you decide to do it, wait until you get a 50% coupon from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  You can get the cutter for less than $100 with those.  Feel free to PM me if you have questions.  Glad to help. 
    thanks....what kind of cutter?  I see a Logan but not sure what model?

What is the best site for uploading your poster image to play around with frame, mat combos? 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    bbiggs said:
    What is the best site for uploading your poster image to play around with frame, mat combos? 
    Americanframe.com works well for me.  Plenty of frames and mat colors to work with.
    bbiggs said:
    Americanframe.com works well for me.  Plenty of frames and mat colors to work with.
    Thanks bud. 
    mrussel1 said:
    thanks....what kind of cutter?  I see a Logan but not sure what model?
    Depends on how far you want to go..  I have what's equivalent to the301 http://www.michaels.com/free-gift-with-purchase/10337842.html

It's great and you can do openings up to 32 inches, which is pretty damn big.  But you can't do the 12x36's.  The 450 goes up to 40" but is twice as expensive.  So it really just depends on whether you have something big that you're going to cut.    http://www.michaels.com/default/10229650.html

If I started over again, with a 50% off coupon, I would probably go with the 450, but I'm not 100% sure.  You can cut your 36" ones with the 450, but still have the problem with not being able to get a frame that isn't custom.  
    Thanks.  I'll probably stick to 18x24 and leave the rest to the pros.

• jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Thanks.  I'll probably stick to 18x24 and leave the rest to the pros.
    Make sure to practice cutting on cardboard or something else,  It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I've gone through more mats than I thought I would. 
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12