framed poster thread

Comments

• basebornbaseborn UK Posts: 143
    I have a selection of about 10 posters I am going to get framed up as a job lot, to go in my 'den' - obviously the colours and sizes vary across the 'range' so i'm stuck between a few options. Wanted to get thoughts.

1) Plain main mat of a neutral colour (white/off white) with a contrast 2nd mat underneath to complement the print, all the same frame style
    2) Differing mats to complement the prints, all the same frame style
    3) Complete and utter free for all across mats and frames to best complement the individual print

Also, i have varying bits to go along with the posters - tickets, picks, setlists, stickers - can't decide whether to frame along with the posters or not.

They'll be on 2 of the 4 walls in the room if that makes any difference so they will be close together.

• madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012

Considering how much blue is in the print, I am trying to brainstorm colors that aren't gray, black, or blue. Will go with a black frame to maintain consistency in my game room. I had thought of going with red and white for a White Stripes theme.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • I think trying to use a frame and/or mat that has none of the colors in the print never works out, almost without exception.  A black frame/white mat is always fine but otherwise that's tough to do, even if it's thematic like red/white for the White Stripes.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    mikeliska said:
    I think trying to use a frame and/or mat that has none of the colors in the print never works out, almost without exception.  A black frame/white mat is always fine but otherwise that's tough to do, even if it's thematic like red/white for the White Stripes.
    That was my concern as well, as I've never taken that tack when framing other posters, but the red/white was the wife's idea.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • You could always take the image and upload it to one of those sites that will show you how it looks, at least on your computer monitor.  I think americanframe does that.
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 188
    Milestone said:

Nice!  I was at that show and need to get this one done.  I framed this one for my brother (he was my +1 ten club ticket for that one)
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Just got these yesterday. Same frame. Fancy glass. Double mat. 70% off coupon. Less than $250 total at Michaels. I know people love the Thomas, but the Jackson is beautiful in person.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    What is the top mat color on the Thomas?
  • sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    Zod said:
    hadfiiw said:
    Zod said:
    How do you all afford to frame your posters?  I finally moved into a house about 3+ years ago.  About a year in I underwent the project to frame my posters.   Ended up framing about 20 of them.    I chose quantity over quality.   Brought them to a local framing shop and they did pretty simple custom cut frames.   Metal black frame with glass front.   About $50 (Canadian) each give or take $10 depending on the size.   That cost me well over $1000 to do.   Now when I get new ones I get them framed the same way so they match.  They look pretty good, but not as cool as the matted ones people post on here.

My b-day and fathers day is only a week (or so) apart so my family will get me a combo b-day and fathers day gift of a framed poster.

It is expensive but I had blank walls before I started framing posters.  I can't imagine anything else up there.

Our house is the same way.   We had nothing on the walls, and one day we bought a 3 piece print of a lake and mountains and put it over the couch (because it felt like the adult thing to do).    Ever since it's been framing the concert posters I've been collecting for 20 years.    I was mildly concerned coverings one house in concert posters wasn't a very adult thing to do, but it's very much an "us" thing to do, because we like going to concerts and it's a big part of our lives.   The hard part has been finding some non PJ posters to mix it up a bit.   PJ has been doing them over 20 years, but most other bands I've started going to only started this decade. 

I might not matte them given my budget constraints, but I'm pretty happy with the custom framing for them.  Each one looks framed perfectly.    The problem now is slowly running out wall space.   I brought 3 more in for framing today (Seattle 2018, QoTSA Victoria '18, and Foo Fighters Vancouver '18).    It's going to be interesting when I get them back :)
    We just bought our house last year and put our two PJ prints in the living room. Now we're working on a collage wall of photos of posters we'll never be able to afford (hubs first show -- 1996 Hartford always seems to slip through my fingers) as well as some of this year's Fenway shows that we did buy and the Foo prints we got. Our Fenway and Tampa posters got custom frame jobs at Michaels, but most of the others got decent quality frames (again from Michaels) until we can afford to update them. They're framed and hung so it's more adult that just tacking them up (or puttying like in college)...at least that's how I justify it. 

Also @FadedGlory
    Your posters and mat jobs look amazing! I LOVE the Cincy one!  

Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • mrussel1 said:
    What is the top mat color on the Thomas?
    A dark blue/grey. Like what is near the bottom of the poster. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408

The previous 3 images hang in my office.  The Clash poster is signed by Joe & Mick.   Sorry they are sideways!
  • Anyone have the Emek Home Show framed? 
  • That signed Clash Hamburg poster is great.
    mikeliska said:
    That signed Clash Hamburg poster is great.
    Thanks....it is one of my prized possessions!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    3 more posters framed today.   My posters from 2018.  Apologies for the flash reflecting on the FF print:

• I like the minimalist frames. I decided not to mat a long time ago, after I did one long narrow one (Merriweather 1996), because I didn’t want to eat up more wall space!

• Considering how much blue is in the print, I am trying to brainstorm colors that aren't gray, black, or blue. Will go with a black frame to maintain consistency in my game room. I had thought of going with red and white for a White Stripes theme.

• I think paying homage to the White Stripes is a cool idea... and I think you could do a very narrow red mat inside a wider white mat, black frame, and it would look fantastic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • baseborn said:
    I have a selection of about 10 posters I am going to get framed up as a job lot, to go in my 'den' - obviously the colours and sizes vary across the 'range' so i'm stuck between a few options. Wanted to get thoughts.

1) Plain main mat of a neutral colour (white/off white) with a contrast 2nd mat underneath to complement the print, all the same frame style
    2) Differing mats to complement the prints, all the same frame style
    3) Complete and utter free for all across mats and frames to best complement the individual print

Also, i have varying bits to go along with the posters - tickets, picks, setlists, stickers - can't decide whether to frame along with the posters or not.

They'll be on 2 of the 4 walls in the room if that makes any difference so they will be close together.

• DW5741DW5741 Posts: 19
    edited September 2018
    Hi. I knew I was going to have at least a few posters when I started framing, so I went with no mats and individual frames that I liked with each piece. At that time, the frames were going on four walls of my basement den. Looked great. Now I have one upstairs hallway with high ceilings and killer space for a gallery display. All different colors and sizes and I love it! But I’ve seen total uniformity with mats and frames look fantastic too. Do what moves you. 

Post edited by DW5741 on
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Wow! That's impressive. 

I like the minimalist frames, too. That's how I have done mine but I only have a few, just from a handful of shows I attended.

There are some incredible collections in this thread.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I finally got an Itoya 18x24 portfolio for my overflow posters. Simple enough, does a nice job I guess. 

Do you store it lying down flat, or standing upright (wedged between two items I’m guessing)?
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    Just got a couple more done.  
  • pjpitt89 said:
    I finally got an Itoya 18x24 portfolio for my overflow posters. Simple enough, does a nice job I guess. 

Do you store it lying down flat, or standing upright (wedged between two items I’m guessing)?

I store it in a zip-up mesh bag that I got at an art supply store (so dust won’t get in it) and store it in a plastic bin under my bed. Lying flat.

• wwsuicide said:
    Just got a couple more done.  
    BEAUTIFUL. Great choices! I LOOOOVE the texture of the frames; they complement the images beautifully. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2018
    We have been getting our collection framed recently.  All done with UV protected glass. 

Here are are my personal favourites posted proudly in the stairwell to our basement  :smile:

We took a photo of the back of the poster and attached it to the back of the frames.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    pjpitt89 said:

I store it flat,  usually under my pool table of all places.  My lab sleeps under the bed so that's no good.  I don't trust it on the spine.  Seems too weak. 
    Going to the office tomorrow..
  • We have been getting our collection framed recently.  All done with UV protected glass. 

Here are are my personal favourites posted proudly in the stairwell to our basement  :smile:

We took a photo of the back of the poster and attached it to the back of the frames.
    They look great! I didn’t think of taking pictures of the backs (that was smart), but when I got the Emek Philly 2016, I so loved the back that I had it framed with glass on both sides! (Just UV protected glass on the front!)