Options

PJ double album

Comments

• Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Lowlight said:
    Milestone said:
    Double albums are rarely a good thing

I’d say that concept albums are rarely a good thing. 

But Rolling Stones Exile on Mainstreet and Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti.......

PJ is capable of matching those classics.
    Not to mention The Wall

Id have to add the Beatles White Album to this list. Comon guys.

the who quadrophenia

Also include Use Your Illusion I & II- GNR. While not packaged as a double album they came out the same time. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Yeah, I don't ever see this happening.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Milestone said:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers pulled off a double with “Stadium Arcadium”. 
    And I can’t get behind The Who comparison. That’s one song writer in his 70’s.
    PJ has 5 songwriters in their 50’s.
    the who's quadrophenia was in 1973. Pete Was not in his 70's when he wrote that.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Milestone said:
    the who's quadrophenia was in 1973. Pete Was not in his 70's when he wrote that.
    I was referring to a comment about how it took The Who 10 years to put out new material after they reunited.  And I guess he was probably in his 60’s then. 

Since you sre a Black Crowes fan, you are obviously aware that Magpie Salute just recorded a double album. (Yes, they are splitting it up into two releases.... but still) Same age as PJ. Can be done, right?
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

ahhhh ok.

Yes, I know the Magpie just did volume I. Not sure where they actual are as far as a volume II. But hopefully soon.

Yes it can indeed be done, no doubt. But only if the quality is there. I think that's why double albums are so scarce.

Quality might be there to make 1 whole album, but 2 could be pushing it.

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,523
    edited September 2018
    I just want another quality album.  If it takes another 3 years fine, just hoping for something more than 3 decent songs and a bunch of filler.  I just don't believe there will be enough top notch material for two discs based on the albums put out over the last decade plus.
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,218
    I think if they do a double album it has to be done like Metallica, GNR and System of a Down did it; space out 2 separate releases within a year of each other. Granted, those bands were all about 20 years younger and spent a lot of time in the studio. As was mentioned, their time passed when they cut Binaural down. That would have been their masterpiece deluxe double album in my opinion. I created about a 21 song deluxe version of my own that consists of all the songs recorded between '99 and '00 up to the release and the only dud I found is Sweet Lew.

Now, the quality would be the issue not whether they can create the quantity. They would need to allow a lot more songs that may not be "Pearl Jam" specific. Anyway, it's not going to happen. A band that releases a single song after 5 years and then still has nothing else to follow it after 7 months doesn't sound like a group in prime form ready to drop 20, or even 10, songs on us. I feel like they've been teasing new music since the RnRHOF induction, but even that seems like forever ago. They had all of 2017 and did nothing that we're aware of.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Well, with all the talk of being busy with kids, family, not wanting to travel and tour as much, age, ect.....

the studio seems like the perfect place to put their efforts. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited September 2018
    Milestone said:
    Fair points. 
    I was only comparing them to The Who as one example of many bands who slow down studio recordings after 20 years. Many bands put out 1 album every 10 years once they reach this point. Many don't, many still do the once a year thing but PJ just doesn't seem interested in doing that. They've made it big, they've made tons of money, time to take an early semi-retirement. Not everyone is Jimmy Buffet who'd rather be on the road than at home, or like Willie Nelson who spends weeks/months in the studio every year cranking out a new album that only die hard fan club members end up hearing about.
    But as far as having 5 writers, it isn't a lack of songs or creativity or writing that keeps them from recording. I can only assume they just don't want to at this point in their life and career. They all have solo/side projects to feed their creativity if they need. I just think they'll be one of those bands who puts out an album once every 10 years instead of every 2-3 years until they decide to quite 20+ years from now. And will focus on mini tours in instead.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Beatles and Pink Floyd crushed it in the studio when they were tired of touring.

• Options
    I just think they'll be one of those bands who puts out an album once every 10 years instead of every 2-3 years until they decide to quite 20+ years from now. And will focus on mini tours in instead.
    I think you may be right.
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    JM144705 said:
    Bring on the Christmas album!
    Seriously why don't rock artist do Christmas albums anymore?!? I enjoy Christmas music around the holidays but my rock selection is getting real stale. Only pop artist do Christmas these days. 

Maybe it's because Christmas albums are usually for washed up, burned out acts who are desperate to feel relevant. A single song would be okay, but don't waste rock songs on Christmas. I want to listen to them all year round.

I want them to smoke lots of weed, and get creative with the new songs. The last couple of albums have been a little straight and narrow mainstream. It's time to shake it up a bit.

I'll take quality over quantity. So a single album is fine with me. 

• Options
    JM144705 said:
    Seriously why don't rock artist do Christmas albums anymore?!? I enjoy Christmas music around the holidays but my rock selection is getting real stale. Only pop artist do Christmas these days. 

Maybe it's because Christmas albums are usually for washed up, burned out acts who are desperate to feel relevant. A single song would be okay, but don't waste rock songs on Christmas. I want to listen to them all year round.

I want them to smoke lots of weed, and get creative with the new songs. The last couple of albums have been a little straight and narrow mainstream. It's time to shake it up a bit.

I'll take quality over quantity. So a single album is fine with me. 

On just about every double album I've heard, I can skip half the record and make 1 of the greatest albums of all time.
    Stadium Arcadium, Melon Collie are some good examples of that.
  • Options
    hihobibo said:
    Lowlight said:
    Milestone said:

Not to mention The Wall

the who quadrophenia

Also include Use Your Illusion I & II- GNR. While not packaged as a double album they came out the same time. 
    Agreed. I was thinking of GNR too.
    🤙
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I agree with those who think give me one really good album. 
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JM144705 said:
    Seriously, why doesn’t Pearl Jam do Christmas singles anymore?!?
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Milestone said:
    I know it won’t happen this time around.... but after a 5 year dry spell.... and five song writers in the band....

they’ve gotta have a hundred or more songs sitting around. Put out 20-24 of them. 

Give us the PJ “Exile on Mainstreet” please!

Seems like they struggle to get a single albums worth of material together, especially when Can't Deny Me is both the first track of the album and the fanclub single.
  • Options
    Has being a parent changed you as a songwriter?

I think there are many answers to that question, and I’m not sure which is the best one. It changes you. There’s no way to avoid that. My patterns as a human were fairly established. I thought that parenting would be a sidecar to everything I was doing. If anything, I was in the sidecar. In a myriad of ways, it’s going to change everything. Being a parent could take your focus away, but it could also add focus. It takes your focus away because you have a constant responsibility and beautiful distraction. It can add to your focus, though, because you know you don’t have three days to yourself to become a mad scientist and lock yourself in a room with three cases of beer and a carton of smokes and come out with a song. You’re going to do it in an hour, with a six-pack and one pack of smokes. So, it’s really healthy.

You don’t have the luxury of insanity anymore. You’re not really allowed to be insane. I resented that for a little bit. I was like, “No, it’s important to be the mad scientist crazy person and to dig down deep and get to some place you haven’t been before.” Then you realize that it’s not fair to your kids to have a psycho dad. That’s just not the way it’s going to work. You figure out other ways to generate the same results, but you do it in a way that’s less insane. I think in that way it’s a positive thing and it’s probably added years to my life.”

I don’t think it’s gonna happen.  I’m happy for him, but I don’t think it makes for great music.  Thankfully we have 15 years worth of great tunes from before that.

I mean I dare you to sing "Black" and not feel it.
    I dare you.
    I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough.
    It doesn't work.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Milestone said:
    I know it won’t happen this time around.... but after a 5 year dry spell.... and five song writers in the band....

they’ve gotta have a hundred or more songs sitting around. Put out 20-24 of them. 

Give us the PJ “Exile on Mainstreet” please!

Seems like they struggle to get a single albums worth of material together, especially when Can't Deny Me is both the first track of the album and the fanclub single.
    Exactly!
    Its not like they have ready-to-record songs flying out of their buttholes, and this is the strongest evidence to support that. After 4 years this is all we have to show for a recording, Cant Deny Me.
  • Options

Exactly!
    Its not like they have ready-to-record songs flying out of their buttholes, and this is the strongest evidence to support that. After 4 years this is all we have to show for a recording, Cant Deny Me.
    I think there is a difference between having “ready to record songs flying out of their buttholes” and rolling up their sleeves and just doing it.

They’ve got songs. They just haven’t had the urge to get in the studio, take the phone off the hook, pull the shades down, and hit the record button.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    Most of the times, obviously there are a lot of amazing double albums but probably 10x more that should’ve been singles.
    the best one seem to be during bands peaks, teying to think of any great double albums put out by bands in their later years 
    i think grest double albums might be a young mans game
  • Options

the best one seem to be during bands peaks, trying to think of any great double albums put out by bands in their later years 
    i think grest double albums might be a young mans game
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    stadium arcadium
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    It’s a double album but I wouldn’t call it good, IMO
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    timdwilli said:
    Milestone said:

These albums were released by bands in their 20s-early 30s. PJ may have been capable of that in the early days, but what band in their mid-50s has had an album on the level of those?
    The Rising by Bruce was pretty damn good.  9/11 reinvigorated him for sure. 

If the boys put out anything in the stratosphere of Exile, I would pass out from Euphoria.  
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    hihobibo said:
    Lowlight said:
    Milestone said:

Not to mention The Wall

the who quadrophenia

Mellon Collie (gulp) ?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    rummy said:
    hihobibo said:
    Lowlight said:
    Milestone said:

Not to mention The Wall

the who quadrophenia

Mellon Collie (gulp) ?
    I love early Pumpkins though Mellon Collie. MC has a lot of great songs. Enough good songs to actually make 1 amazing single album if you got rid of all the crap songs on it.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    mace1229 said:
    rummy said:
    hihobibo said:
    Lowlight said:
    Milestone said:

Not to mention The Wall

the who quadrophenia

Mellon Collie (gulp) ?
    I love early Pumpkins though Mellon Collie. MC has a lot of great songs. Enough good songs to actually make 1 amazing single album if you got rid of all the crap songs on it.
    I agree with you on both ends - love the first three albums and MCIS would be way better with only 12 songs or so on it. Of course, I think  pretty much all double albums would be way better if the cut half the songs. Of course, who's to say which ones!

For the record (pun intended), MCIS would be perfect (to me) if the tracklisting was something like:
    Side A
    1. Bullet with Butterfly Wings (although I think I've outgrown this song)
    2. Tonight, Tonight
    3. Zero (I may have outgrown this one, too)
    4. Muzzle
    5. Galapogos
    6. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
    Side B
    1. 1979
    2. Bodies
    3. Thirty-Three
    4. Stumbeline
    5. XYU
    6. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
  • Options
    All double albums would be better as single albums. 
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    yes please
    danny d
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    I think Binaural could’ve been their double album chance. Look at what they left off...Sad Fatal et al. Even some of the instrumentals were bad ass! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14