~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    So sorry to hear about Scooter, Mayday.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  Thanks for sharing the pictures - Scooter looks like a bundle of joy and love.  Your life is better because Scooter was part of it.  And Scooter's life was better because of you.
    Hearts and thoughts.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    speaking of shining lights, here’s a couple.

or maybe they’re dim bulbs. :wink:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    Wobbie said:
    speaking of shining lights, here’s a couple.

or maybe they’re dim bulbs. :wink: 
    ;)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    sorry mayday for your loss (been there)

Isn't today International Dog Day (or was that yesterday?)

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    sorry mayday for your loss (been there)

Isn't today International Dog Day (or was that yesterday?)

today

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    MayDay, I'm so sorry for the loss of Scooter.  I can tell what a great dog he was and how loved he was from the pictures.  I've been through what you're experiencing more than once and I know the pain is hard to bear.  It feels like it lasts forever.  But it does eventually pass, and your love of Scooter will remain with you.  You brought your grief to the right place--many of us who post here have been where you are.

That essay that Rob posted always brings tears to my eyes.  It's so spot on.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It has been OK, already.  Last week was exceptionally tough with the routine as I mentioned.  He was everywhere I went and would wait by the door if I was away from the house, wait for me outside the shower, etc., for 13 years.  He has also been a diabetic for the last 2.5 years, so I also needed to provide additional care with a strict feeding schedule/diet as well as insulin injections.  It is tough not having him around.  

I am somewhat thankful that the end came quick and I wasn't faced with a lot (any) real decisions with finances vs his comfort vs time.  I would have a VERY hard time making that final decision, and making a phone call/driving to the vet... and have feared that day since Scooter was a pup.  It just kind of happened, nothing is in my control, and I now just have to deal with it.  On the other hand, I am very thankful that the humans close to me are all in good health.
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited August 2018
    Our big guy Wrigley who is the most loving, relaxed, social, chill dog I have ever seen.  He is the neighborhood mascot and everyone knows his name but not ours.  We showed him to his Championship and then he retired to a life of lounging in the AZ sun.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Glad to hear that you’re (mostly) doing okay Mayday.  Make space and time to grieve.  There will always be moments that will catch you unaware and off guard, embrace the memories with a smile.

Wrigley looks like a true champion blackhawks.  He’s beautiful.  Glad he’s enjoying his retirement years lol
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Wrigley is our ‘heart’ dog.  There is no other like him to us and he is such a huge part of our family.  When he passes that will be it for pet ownership for us unfortunately.  So we hope he has a long life as far as Danes go and we get to enjoy many adventures traveling the west!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm going over to some friend's house to say goodbye to my long time buddy, Sparky.  His real name is "Shady" but his owners always thought it was cool that I call him "Sparky".  In his younger years, he was just that- a little spark plug of a dog.  Cute , sweet, loving, full of life.  But now he is over 17 years old and ready to go join his pals Alice and Woody.  It's gonna be a tough goodbye.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Sorry to her about Scooter, MayDay. 

Norm says hey 

Wrigley is our ‘heart’ dog.  There is no other like him to us and he is such a huge part of our family.  When he passes that will be it for pet ownership for us unfortunately.  So we hope he has a long life as far as Danes go and we get to enjoy many adventures traveling the west!

why will it be “it for pet ownership”?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Hey, Sophie. 
    Nice to see Norm too.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Has anyone ever used the Rover.com app to find a pet sitter/boarder for your dog?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Has anyone ever used the Rover.com app to find a pet sitter/boarder for your dog?
    One of my friends is a pet sitter/boarder for rover though (also a PJ fan but don't think they're on the board).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Yes, I have used it for 2 different sitters. First sitter was great and used her for a few years till she recently adopted a greyhound who gets anxious around other non-greyhound dogs so she stopped boarding dogs. We just went on vacation and Willow stayed with new sitter for first time and everything went fine.

When you find someone you think will work, you arrange a meet and greet prior to final booking of the stay so you (and more importantly your dog) can meet the sitter and any pets they may have beforehand.

Good experiences for me.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Yes, I have used it for 2 different sitters. First sitter was great and used her for a few years till she recently adopted a greyhound who gets anxious around other non-greyhound dogs so she stopped boarding dogs. We just went on vacation and Willow stayed with new sitter for first time and everything went fine.

When you find someone you think will work, you arrange a meet and greet prior to final booking of the stay so you (and more importantly your dog) can meet the sitter and any pets they may have beforehand.

Good experiences for me.
    Thank you. This is good to hear. We messaged one of the highest rated sitters who live close earlier today and have not heard back yet. Did you message a few of them before settling on the one you eventually chose?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    One of my friends is a pet sitter/boarder for rover though (also a PJ fan but don't think they're on the board).
    Is he by any chance located out near Lansdale area?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Poncier said:

Good experiences for me.
    Thank you. This is good to hear. We messaged one of the highest rated sitters who live close earlier today and have not heard back yet. Did you message a few of them before settling on the one you eventually chose?
    First time it was the 2nd person we contacted we went with (and then used for a few years) as the first one we contacted had already booked to board a dog on the dates we needed.
    This most recent time when we had to find a new boarder it was the first one we contacted that worked out.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited September 2018
    Wobbie said:

We will not be able to deal with his loss very well.  He has been a one of a kind for us and no other pet has been like him.  I can not describe it any better I guess.  Just that we agreed we would perhaps watch people’s pets while gone but adding one to the family would be too hard for us.  I wish I could describe the emotions we feel for him.  The other night I hurt my foot and he put his paw on my leg, licked my face 50 times, then went and got Jan.  He is so human I can not describe.  I know I sound weird and people will say he is just a dog but he is..... In don’t know how to describe it.  He has been like this since we took him home.....like it was always meant to be.  He never whined in his crate, potty trained in a week and a half which sure made life easier. Always has been a pleaser and social with a huge heart.
    Post edited by blackhawks on
    Is he by any chance located out near Lansdale area?
    no new jersey, sorry.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Wobbie said:

We will not be able to deal with his loss very well.  He has been a one of a kind for us and no other pet has been like him.  I can not describe it any better I guess.  Just that we agreed we would perhaps watch people’s pets while gone but adding one to the family would be too hard for us.  I wish I could describe the emotions we feel for him.  The other night I hurt my foot and he put his paw on my leg, licked my face 50 times, then went and got Jan.  He is so human I can not describe.  I know I sound weird and people will say he is just a dog but he is..... In don’t know how to describe it.  He has been like this since we took him home.....like it was always meant to be.  He never whined in his crate, potty trained in a week and a half which sure made life easier. Always has been a pleaser and social with a huge heart.
    We had Gracie, who got me thru cancer and then died of her own cancers at 5.5 years. she was awesome (altho we called her devil dog for her first 2 years). that said, we now have these two and love them to death. note Winnie in the doorway. :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ^ :smiley:  :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited September 2018
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

We had Gracie, who got me thru cancer and then died of her own cancers at 5.5 years. she was awesome (altho we called her devil dog for her first 2 years). that said, we now have these two and love them to death. note Winnie in the doorway. :smiley:

That is awesome!!!!  We still have 4-6 years with Wrigley and maybe our mind will change.  We are just trying to living in the moment with big guy.  He sure fills our hearts and lives up.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    My wake-up view this morning  . . . 

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Ellie, watching her stories.......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14