***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Eddie wished Bono well from the stage in Fenway last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fR4di1hHY
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    U2 concert ends early after Bono loses voice in Berlin

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/topnews/u2-concert-ends-early-after-bono-loses-voice-in-berlin/ar-BBMLprL?li=AAggSpD&OCID=ansmsnnews11

Swa U2 last fall ... show sucked.  Will never see them again...
    I've seen u2 five times (With the first being in '97 for the popmart tour).   My experience has been inconsistent.   I would say 2 of those shows were insanely good, 1 was pretty decent, and two left me wanting.   The last one I saw was the innocence/experience tour in Vancouver about 2 or 3 years ago.   We were on the floor, and they played a big portion of the show playing inside this metal walkway thing, except we couldn't see anything.  It was weird.  I kind of felt done with the live U2 experience after that one.  Skipped the Joshua Tree anniversary tour last year.    I've still got my cd's and vinyl to keep my happy, but my desire to see them live has waned.  5's a good number to stop at :)
  • I saw them one time during the 2001 Elevation tour. Bono was sick, and you can tell from the IEM/AUD out there, but i didn't take away from it that the show was beyond terrible. I was more disappointed PJ Harvey was replaced by the Corrs. The rest of the band was on fire.

I would see them again if given a chance. At the same time I haven't been in a rush to go do it. Their tickets aren't cheap when you're looking to see them more than once in one city.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Shakescky said:
    I saw them one time during the 2001 Elevation tour. Bono was sick, and you can tell from the IEM/AUD out there, but i didn't take away from it that the show was beyond terrible. I was more disappointed PJ Harvey was replaced by the Corrs. The rest of the band was on fire.

I would see them again if given a chance. At the same time I haven't been in a rush to go do it. Their tickets aren't cheap when you're looking to see them more than once in one city.
    That's the thing with U2...there's no need to see them more than once per tour. It's pretty much the same setlist night after night. 

(I went to back to back shows in 2015...LOVED the first night but felt silly being there the second night as the only swapped three songs - everything else was very... choreographed.
  • rummy said:
    Shakescky said:
    I saw them one time during the 2001 Elevation tour. Bono was sick, and you can tell from the IEM/AUD out there, but i didn't take away from it that the show was beyond terrible. I was more disappointed PJ Harvey was replaced by the Corrs. The rest of the band was on fire.

That's the thing with U2...there's no need to see them more than once per tour. It's pretty much the same setlist night after night. 

(I went to back to back shows in 2015...LOVED the first night but felt silly being there the second night as the only swapped three songs - everything else was very... choreographed.
    So it's like Iggy Pop, but nowhere near as good. Got it! =)
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    Shakescky said:
    rummy said:
    Shakescky said:

So it's like Iggy Pop, but nowhere near as good. Got it! =)
    Like far too many rock bands, unfortunately.
    (I bolded "rock" as I think this type of music should be free-flowing and spontaneous).
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited September 2018
    I've seen U2 twice - both polar opposites. First in 1997 on PopMart tour at LA Colosseum. It was all glitz and techno backing tracks, shiny disco balls and giant lemons. A few songs were badly out of key and some technical issues. Plus I was holding up the flag poles at top of the stadium and should have brought binoculars. But they play "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" so I was jazzed!

Second time on Elevation tour was transcendent. At Anahiem Pond 2001. They walked out with house lights on to play "Elevation". Then lights went out for "Beautiful Day". I was about 15 rows back from stage and Bono ran around that heart walkway like a maniac. Band in great form. They played "All I Want Is You" (full electric version) into "Where The Streets Have No Name". I've never felt a crowd jump and shake a building like that - religious experience.

Fast forward to 2017 Joshua Tree 30th Tour at Levi's Stadium. I could have gone but not at $450 per ticket. U2 really seems like they are phoning it in at this point, but more power to them - they are millionaire rock stars and I'm a high school teacher. I tuned out after How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. "Vertigo" and "City Of Blinding Lights" were last two great U2 songs in my opinion. No Line On the Horizon had a handful of good tunes and I never actually bought Songs of Innocence or Songs of Experience (but Songs of Innocence magically appeared on my iPhone one day LOL). Streamed both those albums but those songs never really seemed genuine or passionate to me, faux-passionate more like it.

It's just hard for me to relate to Irish millionaires in their late 50's. Sorry. It was a great run though. I had a great run too. I'm 45 and hoping to retire in Hawaii in 15-20 years. I'll still probably be spinning my U2 vinyls too.

EDIT: My high school students don't even know who U2 are (they were born 2000-2004). And most don't care about U2. It's a sign we're getting old when many kids don't even know/care about our music - but that's as it should be. Dad-Rock indeed LOL!
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rummy said:
    Shakescky said:

Yeah totally agree with you, did two u2 shows a few years ago and realized one was enough per tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Bono comments on the swdish election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_bKpUBBuCw
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    edited November 2018
    U2.com has announced their 2019 subscription 'gift'.
    https://www.u2.com/news/title/innocence--experience-live-2015--2018
    A limited edition double CD & digital release capturing the i+e Tour and the e+i Tour is the 2019 special gift for U2.com Subscribers.
    It's the ultimate live set on double CD, beautifully presented in a photographic book documenting the iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE tours of 2015 and 2018.

I'm excited for this as there were some great shows on those 2 tours. Shipping isn't until spring 2019 though.
    Post edited by Popmartijn on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    Poncier said:
    Show stopped tonight in Berlin after a few songs, Bono "completely lost" his voice.
    Age hasn't been super kind to Bono.

He's been on the ropes for a while now- a fraction of his former self.

I still love the shows, but I'd be a liar if I tried to say he was still as good as ever.
    I thought he sounded great in June...
    He has moments for sure, but he has other moments as well. It's no fault of his own age ha taken its toll on him.

Don't get me wrong- I love U2. But a fair assessment of his vocal range is one that concedes his limitations.
    If they aren't willing to call it quits because Bono can't cut the mustard anymore, they should at least cut their ticket prices in half, since that is now what their shows are worth IMO. At most. I mean, they've been overpriced for decades, even when his voice was still okay.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Poncier said:
    Show stopped tonight in Berlin after a few songs, Bono "completely lost" his voice.
    Age hasn't been super kind to Bono.

He's been on the ropes for a while now- a fraction of his former self.

I still love the shows, but I'd be a liar if I tried to say he was still as good as ever.
    I thought he sounded great in June...
    He has moments for sure, but he has other moments as well. It's no fault of his own age ha taken its toll on him.

Don't get me wrong- I love U2. But a fair assessment of his vocal range is one that concedes his limitations.
    If they aren't willing to call it quits because Bono can't cut the mustard anymore, they should at least cut their ticket prices in half, since that is now what their shows are worth IMO. At most. I mean, they've been overpriced for decades, even when his voice was still okay.
    Even charging half, their seating prices are ridiculous. They tend to keep GA reasonable but nail people for seats.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • U2.com has announced their 2019 subscription 'gift'.
    https://www.u2.com/news/title/innocence--experience-live-2015--2018
    A limited edition double CD & digital release capturing the i+e Tour and the e+i Tour is the 2019 special gift for U2.com Subscribers.
    It's the ultimate live set on double CD, beautifully presented in a photographic book documenting the iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE tours of 2015 and 2018.

I'm excited for this as there were some great shows on those 2 tours. Shipping isn't until spring 2019 though.

I might be purchasing another membership. I got this email and was excited as well. This show was my favourite U2 show from this past decade. Bono's voice was as strong as it has been.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • almost every year they blow me away with what they offer as subscription gifts(membership renewal). some really really great ones in the recent past...and while i'm on it....their it last cd and tour for me was a++
    U2 - Lights Of Home (U2 at the BBC)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ly4ktepK7A
    I agree.  U22 put's out amazing yearly gifts.  The u22 live double cd they put out from the u2 360 tour was amazing.   I might sign up for this year just to get the new live set.   I still can't believe u22 was a fan club only live cd.   Seems to good for that :)
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Just listening to Pop at the moment for the first time in a few years - had forgotten what a great record this is. Their most recent album was really poor, I thought. Just smacked of 4 guys in their late 50s trying to make a pop record. Didn't click with me at all. Songs of Innocence wasn't bad.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018
    Watching the Nobel Prize dinner, and they're interviewing The Edge who's there as a guest of  the Noble prize winner in medicine. With his cap on. Which the commentators commented on. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414

I need to reup my sub at U2 in a few days.  Has anyone looked at the new annual stuff and have a thought about which $40 package they prefer?  The difference between the two comes down to:

·         Limited edition double live CD & photographic book capturing 2015’s i+e Tour and 2018’s e+i Tour

Or

·        12” vinyl record featuring three remixes as well as an exclusive RATTLE AND HUM gatefold poster plus a pair of black and white prints from the period by Anton Corbijn.

I always want vinyl but remixes (they mentioned dance?) isn’t really anything I would listen to more than a few times.  Especially not too interested if they are from R&H.  The double live CD from the last two tours seems better, especially since I saw shows on both tours. 

Any thoughts??

CJ260717 said:

I need to reup my sub at U2 in a few days.  Has anyone looked at the new annual stuff and have a thought about which $40 package they prefer?  The difference between the two comes down to:

·         Limited edition double live CD & photographic book capturing 2015’s i+e Tour and 2018’s e+i Tour

Or

·        12” vinyl record featuring three remixes as well as an exclusive RATTLE AND HUM gatefold poster plus a pair of black and white prints from the period by Anton Corbijn.

I always want vinyl but remixes (they mentioned dance?) isn’t really anything I would listen to more than a few times.  Especially not too interested if they are from R&H.  The double live CD from the last two tours seems better, especially since I saw shows on both tours. 

Any thoughts??

No brainer to me. Get the two CDs. 
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I agree.  I'm sure I can always find the vinyl if I want.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Both can probably be purchased on the secondary market for less than a sub (I've gotten both the 1981 10" set and the JT 10" for about $10-15 each). And seeing as they probably aren't touring, theres no real reason to subscribe.

Both can probably be purchased on the secondary market for less than a sub (I've gotten both the 1981 10" set and the JT 10" for about $10-15 each). And seeing as they probably aren't touring, theres no real reason to subscribe.

They usually give a nice gift like this year's during non-touring years...At least this was the case in 2012 (U22) and 2013 (Edge's picks).
  • Just listened to Zooropa on vinyl.

Underrated.

For me special significance- bought it on CD the day it was released and recorded it to cassette without listening to it the day before I flew to Costa Rica backpacking solo for a month (one side of a 90 minute tape). The music takes me back to a 1,000 memories.
    I love Zooropa.   There's generally the camp that believe the Joshua Tree is the best era of U2 and another camp that believes it was Achtung Baby.  Achtung Baby was always my u2 album.  I love the sound and feeling of that album.  Zooropa was an extension of it.  Like they turned up the experiment a few more notches.  I love it.   Achtung Baby/Zooropa era is my favourite.  It's a shame I never got to see them until the Pop tour (But it was an amazing tour, and Pop is also an underrated album).
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Just listened to Zooropa on vinyl.

Underrated.

For me special significance- bought it on CD the day it was released and recorded it to cassette without listening to it the day before I flew to Costa Rica backpacking solo for a month (one side of a 90 minute tape). The music takes me back to a 1,000 memories.
    I actually think Zooropa is at least as good as Atchung Baby, so either Zooropa is underrated or Atchung Baby is overrated, lol. ;) I am one of those Joshua Tree faithful though, and a Rattle and Hum one too, actually, which I think is the most underrated album for U2 by far.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    They had so much inspired creativity overflowing out of them during this time.  Joshua Tree and Atchung Baby are arguably the best 1-2 punch in rock history. I consider Rattle And Hum and Zooropa the best complementary albums of all time. JT and AB could have both been double albums with the Rattle-Zoo material.  Just my thoughts
    Remove the live stuff off of R&H (put on second disc with a few more tracks) and it'd be so much better.
  • This thread had me purchase R&H yesterday on ebay.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    rummy said:
    Remove the live stuff off of R&H (put on second disc with a few more tracks) and it'd be so much better.

i agree
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    This thread had me purchase R&H yesterday on ebay.
    Hawk man 269 has to be one of their most underrated songs.  I wish they would play that one live. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......