Options

Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    RobZ said:
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    I'd shit my pants if PJ covered Bob Seger's "Katmandu".....
    It's amazing how much of a "local" act Seger was so far into his career. From wiki: In June 1976, he was a featured performer at the Pontiac Silverdome outside Detroit in front of nearly 80,000 fans. The next night, Seger played before fewer than a thousand people in Chicago. He had 8 studio albums by June 1976 with the majority of the songs people know!

I think Eddie would sound great on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, too...multiple Seger covers next Detroit show!!!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Without the Beach Boys you wouldn't have the last three or four Beatles albums.  Brian Wilson is greatest American rock/pop musician ever.  

Ridiculous thread regardless lol 
  • Options

There's been some other bands anointed in this thread as one of the best ever that would sit in a tier with these guys.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    timdwilli said:
    RobZ said:
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    I'd shit my pants if PJ covered Bob Seger's "Katmandu".....
    It's amazing how much of a "local" act Seger was so far into his career. From wiki: In June 1976, he was a featured performer at the Pontiac Silverdome outside Detroit in front of nearly 80,000 fans. The next night, Seger played before fewer than a thousand people in Chicago. He had 8 studio albums by June 1976 with the majority of the songs people know!

I think Eddie would sound great on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, too...multiple Seger covers next Detroit show!!!
    One of my favorites, I support that cover suggestion!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Cheap Trick
    Eagles
    The Ramones
    and Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    and The Time
  • Options
    There is no objective way to come to naming  greatest. Every band mentioned has made a mark in some way. 

What I appreciate is I’ve listened to a bunch of albums I ve never listened to before due to comments here. 

That being said how has no one thrown out Huey Lewis and the news? In all seriousness, though, that was a show I saw in 96 (free tickets) and I was shocked at how great it was. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    There is no objective way to come to naming  greatest. Every band mentioned has made a mark in some way. 

What I appreciate is I’ve listened to a bunch of albums I ve never listened to before due to comments here. 

That being said how has no one thrown out Huey Lewis and the news? In all seriousness, though, that was a show I saw in 96 (free tickets) and I was shocked at how great it was. 
    Impossible to argue against their mid-80s output...and it's been mostly the same lineup since the beginning 
  • Options
    The greatest USA rock band of all-time discussion has reached Huey Lewis and the News?
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    The Byrds deserve a mention I think.  They made wonderful music and are very influential.  
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    The greatest USA rock band of all-time discussion has reached Huey Lewis and the News?
    Pretty crazy, isn't it?!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Tiki said:
    The clear winner in my book is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. 

Nobody hates TP&HB. Nobody. Some people may not be a fan, but they are pretty unhateable. They were able to span decades and continually put out rock and roll music.

The Eagles, while some love and almost all understand/respect their place in music history; quite frankly, are a band that has become simply unlikable to many. 

Bruce and the E-Street band seem to be loved or hated my most. I kind of think of him musically as a John Mellencamp on steroids. Huge home state love. Good clean rock and roll. Fun and energetic. Songs everybody from everywhere from every background know. But not enough to be best ever.

You say home state love, but Bruce is playing 4 hour shows at 61 years old in Gothenburg, Sweden to full soccer stadiums.  I get the argument for TP&H but I don't think his live shows can live up to 3-4 hour Bruce shows that have a lot of variety.   
    not lately they don't.
    Ouch!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I may be wrong here but in nine pages of thread I don’t think I’ve seen a single mention of Queens of the Stone Age. 
    Flanders
  • Options
    B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    I'm gonna go with Love, just on pure musical genius.  To hell with criteria.  But I also think that Dylan, Petty, Creedance, Hendrix, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Tool, and The Doors could all flip flop around in the top depending on my mood.  When it comes to music I don't put much stock into sales/popularity when I am talking about "the greatest".  It is well known that the masses have no taste, case in point:  Justin Bieber, The Orange One, and "Friends".  NOT the fucking Eagles Man....or Aerosmith (Bob Seger-WHAT?)
  • Options
    We need a control-alt-delete and the opportunity to start fresh without all the 'litter' and 'glitches' present.

Some nominations are the equivalent of Homer Simpson's vote for 'Man Getting Hit by Football' over Barney's "Pukahontas' in the Springfield film festival. 

Pukahontas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiw2i8fKTAo

Man:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCEPBDekH4
  • Options
    I may be wrong here but in nine pages of thread I don’t think I’ve seen a single mention of Queens of the Stone Age. 
    as "best american rock band ever" ???
    OK i'll bite on this one...nope not even close!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2018

Huey Lewis and the News are great.
    I'm so sad about the recent news about Huey's hearing. He's recently been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, in case people hadn't heard. He had to cancel the 2018 tour because of it. His career is likely over, or will be soon. So, so sad. :frowning: I can't imagine how scary it would be to learn that you will likely permanently lose your hearing after a slow, agonizing decline, especially when your whole life and career and passion relies on being able to hear.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2018
    as "best american rock band ever" ???
    OK i'll bite on this one...nope not even close!
    Well as a huge QOTSA fan, I think they are right up there in terms of their music - they rival the best, including PJ, IMO. They wouldn't meet the criteria here though, you're right, just because of album sales and shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HawkeyeJamHawkeyeJam Posts: 209
    Don't think they are the best American RnR band but the Wilson Sisters of Heart deserve a mention. 
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2018
    If Aliens came down..yadda yadda...Id put up PJ ( Any era) or 81 Van Halen..
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Wow this thread got buried.

Anyways... just got back from two days at the Gorge watching DMB. Re-watching the Saturday show on YouTube and having a Space Dust IPA (actually 2 for that matter).

Sorry haters... DMB is in the discussion and as a solid contender.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    In no position to say, but will always be my favorite rock band. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    After reading tonight's setlist, it's Pearl Jam. I can't believe the thread requests that EV and Co. have catered to. Simply amazing.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    "Three cheers for our military!!! If there is only one song request that is granted this tour, please make it be this one. And, I for one am proud that we finally have a commander in chief, President Donald Trump, that respects, honors, supports and loves are military men, women and their families that also sacrifice so much. Thank you to all of you!!!"

Me, not so much...
  • Options
    In no position to say, but will always be my favorite rock band. 
    Who you talkin' 'bout?
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Okay, I've just skimmed the 9 pages of this and for me, many are letting personal favourites cloud their lists. No way in hell are bands like QOTSA, ID, Foos, Black Crowes etc in the conversation for the GREATEST American Rock band. When you look at some of the album sales alone from these bands, they don't even get near some of the 70's & 80's bands.
    If we are talking about sales, longevity, concerts/Tours, then these bands are the only ones that should be in the discussion IMO - 

Bruce and E Street Band (if he's accepted as a band)
    Eagles
    Metallica
    Bon Jovi (Not a fan, but can't argue with their popularity/sales and longevity)
    Aerosmith
    GD (Personally don't get it, but I'm not American and have never been exposed to them)
    Tom Petty & HB
    Beach Boys
    Pearl Jam 

Next Tier
    CCR
    Bob Segar
    Van Halen
    GnR
    REM
    Green Day

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    No Coder said:
    Okay, I've just skimmed the 9 pages of this and for me, many are letting personal favourites cloud their lists. No way in hell are bands like QOTSA, ID, Foos, Black Crowes etc in the conversation for the GREATEST American Rock band. When you look at some of the album sales alone from these bands, they don't even get near some of the 70's & 80's bands.
    If we are talking about sales, longevity, concerts/Tours, then these bands are the only ones that should be in the discussion IMO - 

Eagles
    Metallica
    Aerosmith
    GD (Personally don't get it, but I'm not American and have never been exposed to them)
    Tom Petty & HB
    Beach Boys
    Pearl Jam 

Next Tier
    CCR
    Bob Segar
    Van Halen
    GnR
    REM
    Green Day

I think you're correct - all above artists are in RR HoF, too. Might put REM in tier 1, however.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    All variables aside... these are album sales within the US:

Eagles 101 million units sold in the US
    Aerosmith 66.5 million
    Metallica 62 million
    Van Halen 56 million
    Journey 48 million
    GnRoses 44.5 million
    Santana 43.5 million
    Bob Seger 43.5 million
    Chicago 38.5 million
    Foreigner 37 million
    Bon Jovi 34.5 million
    Dave Matthews Band 33.5 million
    The Doors 33 million
    Pearl Jam 31.5 million
    Tom Petty 31.5 million
    Boston 31 million
    Lynyrd Skynyrd 28.5 million
    CCR 28 million
    Nirvana 25 million
    Motley Crue 25 million
    RHCP 25 million
    ZZ Top 25 million

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/entertainment/gallery/successful-rock-bands-history-of-chicago/index.html

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited September 2018
    rummy said:
    No Coder said:

Eagles
    Metallica
    Aerosmith
    Tom Petty & HB
    Beach Boys
    Pearl Jam 

Next Tier
    CCR
    Bob Segar
    Van Halen
    GnR
    REM
    Green Day

I think you're correct - all above artists are in RR HoF, too. Might put R.E.M. In tier 1, however.
    Add The Doors to the top list. Swap CCR and Van Halen with PJ and Bon Jovi.

Bon Jovi has no influence to speak of and I think that’s maybe the most important aspect.
    Post edited by DewieCox on