Tom Petty 31.5 million
    Boston 31 million
    Lynyrd Skynyrd 28.5 million
    CCR 28 million
    Nirvana 25 million
    Motley Crue 25 million
    RHCP 25 million
    ZZ Top 25 million

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/entertainment/gallery/successful-rock-bands-history-of-chicago/index.html

Hard to believe the number of album sales some of those bands have with the number of classic tracks. Skynyrd, CCR and Petty make up half a classic station playlist.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited September 2018
    DewieCox said:
    rummy said:
    No Coder said:
    Okay, I've just skimmed the 9 pages of this and for me, many are letting personal favourites cloud their lists. No way in hell are bands like QOTSA, ID, Foos, Black Crowes etc in the conversation for the GREATEST American Rock band. When you look at some of the album sales alone from these bands, they don't even get near some of the 70's & 80's bands.
    If we are talking about sales, longevity, concerts/Tours, then these bands are the only ones that should be in the discussion IMO - 

Bruce and E Street Band (if he's accepted as a band)
    Eagles
    Metallica
    Bon Jovi (Not a fan, but can't argue with their popularity/sales and longevity)
    Aerosmith
    GD (Personally don't get it, but I'm not American and have never been exposed to them)
    Tom Petty & HB
    Beach Boys
    Pearl Jam 

Next Tier
    CCR
    Bob Segar
    Van Halen
    GnR
    REM
    Green Day

I think you're correct - all above artists are in RR HoF, too. Might put R.E.M. In tier 1, however.
    Add The Doors to the top list. Swap CCR and Van Halen with PJ and Bon Jovi.
    Yes, definitely add The Doors.

I appreciate CCR. They might get some extra attention due to the use of their songs in so many films - especially Vietnam movies!

Not sure if I'd put Van Halen ahead of Pearl Jam.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    Where’s Springsteen on that list?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    rummy said:
    DewieCox said:
    rummy said:
    No Coder said:
    Okay, I've just skimmed the 9 pages of this and for me, many are letting personal favourites cloud their lists. No way in hell are bands like QOTSA, ID, Foos, Black Crowes etc in the conversation for the GREATEST American Rock band. When you look at some of the album sales alone from these bands, they don't even get near some of the 70's & 80's bands.
    If we are talking about sales, longevity, concerts/Tours, then these bands are the only ones that should be in the discussion IMO - 

Bruce and E Street Band (if he's accepted as a band)
    Eagles
    Metallica
    Bon Jovi (Not a fan, but can't argue with their popularity/sales and longevity)
    Aerosmith
    GD (Personally don't get it, but I'm not American and have never been exposed to them)
    Tom Petty & HB
    Beach Boys
    Pearl Jam 

Next Tier
    CCR
    Bob Segar
    Van Halen
    GnR
    REM
    Green Day

I think you're correct - all above artists are in RR HoF, too. Might put R.E.M. In tier 1, however.
    Add The Doors to the top list. Swap CCR and Van Halen with PJ and Bon Jovi.
    Yes, definitely add The Doors.

I appreciate CCR. They might get some extra attention due to the use of their songs in so many films - especially Vietnam movies!

Not sure if I'd put Van Halen ahead of Pearl Jam.
    Yes, The Doors deserve to be there and REM could have been in Tier 1 too. 

Van Halen are not in the top tier for me, and I think PJ are far more deserving above them. Bon Jovi likewise deserve to be above Van Halen. They have had major success across 3 decades and were bigger world wide than Van Halen. In the mid to late 80's, possibly into early 90s Bon Jovi were one of the biggest bands in the world and still sold plenty of records and concerts into the 2000's
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Van Halen has been far more influential and successful than PJ and Bon Jovi. They haven’t always been well ran, but they could announce a tour tomorrow and people would line up to see them. Van Halen was one of the biggest bands in the world for the first 20 years. I think that’s plebtybto longevity.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Van Halen has been far more influential and successful than PJ and Bon Jovi. They haven’t always been well ran, but they could announce a tour tomorrow and people would line up to see them. Van Halen was one of the biggest bands in the world for the first 20 years. I think that’s plebtybto longevity.
    MAYBE 12-15 years....were they really that big of a deal when F.U.C.K came out? I suppose...and that "Right Now" video got a lot of attention...I dunno, Van Hagar was still a bit cheesey to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    They’re not my favorite band but almost every album through Balance went 3x platinum, with quite a few exceeding that and a couple certified Diamond. They were even big news heading into VH3, but we know how that turned out. I can’t believe some of those numbers either, but they were a monster.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'm not trying to downplay Van Halen's success, but to say that they have been FAR  more influential and successful than  Bon Jovi is just not accurate. Every Bon Jovi album from 1986-2000 sold over 10 Million worldwide, with Slippery When Wet selling 28 Mil.

Van Halen were far less successful worldwide. Van Halen have also released only 3 albums after 1995 and I think you can really put their huge success into a 10 year bracket from 78-88. 

Their record sales smash the Dead's, CCR's and Tom Petty's though.
    Post edited by No Coder on

• Options
    edited September 2018
    They have been far more influential. Not even a contest.

And man, those sales numbers ARE ridiculous. Though I don’t think you can discount how long Van Halen was a force in the sales department,  I don’t think sales or concert attendance are the final word. There’s a lot to be said for some semblance of artistic integrity, not chasing every musical fad or outsourcing songwriting. Van Halen were never the headiest band, but they seemed to follow their own pathand a lot of guitarists and quite a few bands followed their lead for a decade or more.

I don’t think you can put VH’s success in a 10 year window without putting Bon Jovi’s in a 4 year window.

• Options
    Don't forget, a lot of Bon Jovi's success wasn't as much about the music - it was more about JBJ being a heartthrob. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

And man, those sales numbers ARE ridiculous. Though I don’t think you can discount how long Van Halen was a force in the sales department,  I don’t think sales or concert attendance are the final word. There’s a lot to be said for some semblance of artistic integrity, not chasing every musical fad or outsourcing songwriting. Van Halen were never the headiest band, but they seemed to follow their own pathand a lot of guitarists and quite a few bands followed their lead for a decade or more.

I don’t think you can put VH’s success in a 10 year window without putting Bon Jovi’s in a 4 year window.

To be fair to Van Halen, I was too young to be "aware" during their first five years - I never really heard of them until 1984 (the year and the album) and they were MASSIVE then. From what I can tell, they were pretty popular beforehand and even after DLR left, they did very well with Sammy Hagar and the 5150 album. 
  • Options
    What took Van Halen so long to get into the R&R Hall of Fame? Was there a "political" issue?
  • Options
    I will be the first two concede that any rock band that has two DIAMOND selling albums is pretty impressive. Way to go Van Halen - although I still wouldn't put them at #1 of Greatest American Rock Band.
  • Options
    It's sorta funny how difficult it is to do this for the US bands but if we were to do the UK bands, it would really be between The Beatles, The Stones, and Led Zep. Sure you could mention other bands like Pink Floyd, The Who, The Kinks, and The Clash but really your just naming them to round out a top 5 or top 10 list.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I don't even like Bon Jovi, but 4 year window is ridiculous when they were selling 10 millions copies of an album released in 2000.

I agree that Van Halen are more influential, but at the end of the day, neither band is anywhere near the greatest US Rock band

• Options
    rummy said:
    Don't forget, a lot of Bon Jovi's success wasn't as much about the music - it was more about JBJ being a heartthrob. 
    Exact same thing could be said about DLR playboy image

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Grateful Dead is the greatest “American” rock band. They took bits of every American style (country, blues, jazz, bluegrass, rock) and weaved it all into their own genre. 

Also, having hundreds of songs in an ever-changing setlist. Bucking the system and allowing taping at concerts. Practically inventing the concert poster and light show aspect with the live music. 

Grateful Dead is my vote.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    No Coder said:
    rummy said:
    Yeah? I didn't realize that was the case. I know a few ladies in their late-40s who love (ie, go gaga over) JBJ but never hear anything about DLR. 

Must be because one has aged better than the other?
  • Options
    rummy said:
    No Coder said:
    rummy said:
    Yeah? I didn't realize that was the case. I know a few ladies in their late-40s who love (ie, go gaga over) JBJ but never hear anything about DLR. 

Must be because one has aged better than the other?
    Yeah, not being attracted to either myself, LOL, but JBJ has definitely aged better. DLR had the hedonistic lead singer image raging in the early 80's

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Isn’t JBJ about 10 years younger than DLR? You gotta compare a 2008 era DLR to JBJ today. You still might be right!
    Pretty sure DLR can still do a backflip (with the proper amount of cocaine). 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 324
    My vote goes to pearl Jam 
  • Options
    B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    All variables aside... these are album sales within the US:

Eagles 101 million units sold in the US
    Aerosmith 66.5 million
    Metallica 62 million
    Van Halen 56 million
    Journey 48 million
    GnRoses 44.5 million
    Santana 43.5 million
    Bob Seger 43.5 million
    Chicago 38.5 million
    Foreigner 37 million
    Bon Jovi 34.5 million
    Dave Matthews Band 33.5 million
    The Doors 33 million
    Pearl Jam 31.5 million
    Tom Petty 31.5 million
    Boston 31 million
    CCR 28 million
    Nirvana 25 million
    Motley Crue 25 million
    RHCP 25 million
    ZZ Top 25 million

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/entertainment/gallery/successful-rock-bands-history-of-chicago/index.html

I am not gonna deny that these bands were/are extremely successful and seemed to catch the publics fancy at ridiculous levels, but, basing the "greatest band" by album sales is a little like saying Thomas Kinkade is the "greatest" artist who ever lived  because he sold more paintings compared to someone like Van Gogh,  I just think the argument has to be a little more nuanced than that.  That being said, that list does contain some artists/bands that are entirely worthy of being in the conversation.
  • Options
    B-Girl said:

Aerosmith 66.5 million
    Metallica 62 million
    Van Halen 56 million
    Journey 48 million
    GnRoses 44.5 million
    Santana 43.5 million
    Bob Seger 43.5 million
    Chicago 38.5 million
    Foreigner 37 million
    Bon Jovi 34.5 million
    The Doors 33 million
    Pearl Jam 31.5 million
    Tom Petty 31.5 million
    Boston 31 million
    CCR 28 million
    Nirvana 25 million
    Motley Crue 25 million
    RHCP 25 million
    ZZ Top 25 million

I am not gonna deny that these bands were/are extremely successful and seemed to catch the publics fancy at ridiculous levels, but, basing the "greatest band" by album sales is a little like saying Thomas Kinkade is the "greatest" artist who ever lived  because he sold more paintings compared to someone like Van Gogh,  I just think the argument has to be a little more nuanced than that.  That being said, that list does contain some artists/bands that are entirely worthy of being in the conversation.
    I wouldn't disagree.

I just posted it for discussion's sake- the numbers are very relevant to what we have been discussing.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Eagles is probably the correct answer.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Tiki said:

It might just be.
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    Grateful Dead is the greatest “American” rock band. They took bits of every American style (country, blues, jazz, bluegrass, rock) and weaved it all into their own genre. 

Also, having hundreds of songs in an ever-changing setlist. Bucking the system and allowing taping at concerts. Practically inventing the concert poster and light show aspect with the live music. 

Grateful Dead is my vote.
    it's amazing people don't give them more credit when the credit is due. most regular music fans can't even name 5 songs by this great band. and those kats sold thousands more tickets, played way more live shows, had great original music, started the whole concept of great sound/lights at live concerts etc etc

"There’s no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don’t think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He’s the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn’t only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he’ll ever know. There’s a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There’s no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep"...BOB DYLAN  
  • Options
    Bob Dylan and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, minus Paul Butterfield. 

CLOSE THE THREAD MODS. 
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    B-Girl said:

Aerosmith 66.5 million
    Metallica 62 million
    Van Halen 56 million
    Journey 48 million
    GnRoses 44.5 million
    Santana 43.5 million
    Bob Seger 43.5 million
    Chicago 38.5 million
    Foreigner 37 million
    Bon Jovi 34.5 million
    The Doors 33 million
    Pearl Jam 31.5 million
    Tom Petty 31.5 million
    Boston 31 million
    CCR 28 million
    Nirvana 25 million
    Motley Crue 25 million
    RHCP 25 million
    ZZ Top 25 million

I wouldn't disagree.

I just posted it for discussion's sake- the numbers are very relevant to what we have been discussing.
    Totally get it, all good.
  • Options
    Tiki said:

It might just be.
    That hurts me.  Man, my vote for a band I don't like that should be in serious contention is The Grateful Dead...not my cup of tea but their "Grateness" checks the boxes in a lot of categories.
  • Options
    B-Girl said:
    Tiki said:

It might just be.
    That hurts me.  Man, my vote for a band I don't like that should be in serious contention is The Grateful Dead...not my cup of tea but their "Grateness" checks the boxes in a lot of categories.
    A strong argument could be made for these guys too.