Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2018
    After thinking about this for a bit I think I would go with:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    5.  PJ/DMB/Foo Fighters to me are all on the same level.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    Would Bruce be considered a "band" though?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    I think so.  Only a few albums have not included the E Street Band.  Everyone knows Little Stevie, Clarence, Nils, Max, etc....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    Yes most definitely.  Billy Joel might not be. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel

All very respectable artists, but as a "best ever" list, except for PJ, it's not difficult why topAmerican bands can be cringe worthy compared to international competition for best ever 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    I think so.  Only a few albums have not included the E Street Band.  Everyone knows Little Stevie, Clarence, Nils, Max, etc....
    But he is still promoted as a solo artist.

If he would have seen himself and the E Street Band as a "band" they would have been called "The Jersey Boyz" or whatever.

They are a backing band.

Audioslave wasn't called Chris Cornell & The Raging machines

I would not consider Neil Young & Crazy Horse a band either. They are a frontman with a backing band.

Different point of views. 

But if they are a band - why are they not having a band name?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942

my list
    Pearl Jam (#1)
    R.E.M.
    Metallica
    The Doors
    Green Day
    Nirvana

I am surprised no one has mentioned Slayer.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  Bruce
    2.  G n R
    3.  Metallica
    4.  Billy Joel
    But he is still promoted as a solo artist.

If he would have seen himself and the E Street Band as a "band" they would have been called "The Jersey Boyz" or whatever.

They are a backing band.

Audioslave wasn't called Chris Cornell & The Raging machines

I would not consider Neil Young & Crazy Horse a band either. They are a frontman with a backing band.

Different point of views. 

But if they are a band - why are they not having a band name?
    They are like a band where the frontman has total control.   I get what you are saying though.   Would NIN be a band then?  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Without nitpicking over what constitutes a "band" I'll just consider all rock artists. Here's my objective take on a top 5.  Some aren't my cup of tea but their fandom, record sales, charting, awards, and concert sellouts speak for themselves.
    1. Eagles
    2. Elvis Presley
    3. Billy Joel
    4. Aerosmith
    5. Bruce Springsteen
    Actually the only one I really like on this list is Billy Joel.  Bruce, Elvis, & Aerosmith are ok, but never was a big fan of any.  Can't stand the Eagles.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    Mink DeVille, Velvet Underground, The Doors, Allman Brothers Band, The Band, Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam
    Fuck The Eagles, CCR instead.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    If being objective and the Eagles do not make the list....I am not so sure the list is to be taken seriously. 
    Not my favorite but undeniable the reach this band has/had.

If putting personal favorites...well, there are no wrong answers.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    If being objective and the Eagles do not make the list....I am not so sure the list is to be taken seriously. 

It's all personal. As for my Eagles comment, that was my hats off to Jeff Lebowski.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

It's all personal. As for my Eagles comment, that was my hats off to Jeff Lebowski.
    Yeah, I am a Lebowski-ite and love the references.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    most people are just listing their favorite, not a real list.....and the lack of Grateful Dead here is disappointing
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    rummy said:
    Tiki said:
    Public Enemy

Stirring the pot: Are they "rock?"
    Ask Tom Morello
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I cant consider modern bands in the same conversation of most of the 'old' bands listed, and I dont think Im being a fogey.  

There just isnt the 'uniform' delivery systems as there were prior to like 2005.  We had the radio, MTV, and albums.  You were exposed to the new music, and at a consumer level... almost everyone was exposed to the hits and knew what they were.  Aerosmith, GnR, Van Halen, Nirvana, etc....  it seemed to percolate everywhere as we had comparatively limited entertainment options.  Everyone here remembers the pain of listening to the radio and trying to hit record on the cassette at the correct moment like we were catching butterflies.... and then trying to transcribe the lyrics rewinding and playing 100x.  We vilify the music industry.... but in a lot of ways, they made the 'best bands' by saturating everyone with songs like 'Welcome to the Jungle', 'Jump', 'Ragdoll', 'Enter Sandman', etc...  

Now, everything is so fast paced and muddy with a million delivery options.  Spotify, Pandora, highly specialized stations, on Sirius, single-song purchasing, etc.  I dont think music strikes that personal chord with people anymore and there is just a ton of "onto the next thing" out there.  In 25 years, would/will Imagine Dragons or 21 Pilots be able to sell out an arena or a ballpark?  Will they have and maintain a huge following amongst people who are 15-25 years old right now?  I don't know.  
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    ...adding to my previous post, would songs like RVM, Corduroy, and Do The Evolution merit the "classic" label by a casual PJ listener?
    To me, corduroy yes but the other two no.
    What about Daughter and Given To Fly - and Small Town?
    Classic: daughter yes.  GTF and small town....border line.  I think everyone knows them but they could be just a razor thin line below classic.  
    So if we're going to make an "objective" list of PJ classic songs, we have:

Alive
    Even Flow
    Jeremy
    Black
    Daughter
    Better Man
    Corduroy

That's seven songs - unless YLB or Last Kiss (ugh) also sneak in.

Do the Foo Fighters have this many?

Everlong, Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Learn To Fly, All My Life, ....I know (many) more but not sure if any of them would be considered classics. Time Like These? This Is A Call?

Post edited by rummy on
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    edited August 2018
    I guest any solo artist can be considered a band now. Interesting. 

My top 2 choices are:

1. Eddie Vedder
    2. Pearl Jam
  • This thread is sucky 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

"there's some bands I'd like to mention, and one of them is REM,

classic songs with a long history.... they're southern boys just like you and me- REM"!

-Unseen Power of the Picket Fence by Pavement.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    "You wanted the best, you got the best...the hottest band in the world...KISS!'!!"

2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    The clear winner in my book is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. 

Nobody hates TP&HB. Nobody. Some people may not be a fan, but they are pretty unhateable. They were able to span decades and continually put out rock and roll music.

The Eagles, while some love and almost all understand/respect their place in music history; quite frankly, are a band that has become simply unlikable to many. 

Bruce and the E-Street band seem to be loved or hated my most. I kind of think of him musically as a John Mellencamp on steroids. Huge home state love. Good clean rock and roll. Fun and energetic. Songs everybody from everywhere from every background know. But not enough to be best ever.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Doobie Bros.

Nobody hates TP&HB. Nobody. Some people may not be a fan, but they are pretty unhateable. They were able to span decades and continually put out rock and roll music.

The Eagles, while some love and almost all understand/respect their place in music history; quite frankly, are a band that has become simply unlikable to many. 

Bruce and the E-Street band seem to be loved or hated my most. I kind of think of him musically as a John Mellencamp on steroids. Huge home state love. Good clean rock and roll. Fun and energetic. Songs everybody from everywhere from every background know. But not enough to be best ever.

You say home state love, but Bruce is playing 4 hour shows at 61 years old in Gothenburg, Sweden to full soccer stadiums.  I get the argument for TP&H but I don't think his live shows can live up to 3-4 hour Bruce shows that have a lot of variety.   

You say home state love, but Bruce is playing 4 hour shows at 61 years old in Gothenburg, Sweden to full soccer stadiums.  I get the argument for TP&H but I don't think his live shows can live up to 3-4 hour Bruce shows that have a lot of variety.   
    not lately they don't.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

I agree that this is phenomenal. However, look at what PJ does (in their mid 50's) in South America, or Europe or US. I don't know that selling out soccer stadiums should be the only measure. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2018
    I don't think you can quantify everything and create any sort of definitive ranking, other than possible tiers.  Some of these bands are good for different reasons.  Some have the hits that infiltrated numerous demographics, and even cultures.  Some were influential.  Some sold/sell out stadiums well past their commercial and output peak.  Longevity.  Most of these listed have done these things to some degree.  Others, completely miss on one or more categories, but still should very much be in the convo.  Its a strange thing.  "Ranking" bands, other than ranking one's personal favorites, always has seemed like a silly thing.  Its so much based on tastes and bias.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said: I
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    ...adding to my previous post, would songs like RVM, Corduroy, and Do The Evolution merit the "classic" label by a casual PJ listener?
    To me, corduroy yes but the other two no.
    What about Daughter and Given To Fly - and Small Town?
    Classic: daughter yes.  GTF and small town....border line.  I think everyone knows them but they could be just a razor thin line below classic.  
    So if we're going to make an "objective" list of PJ classic songs, we have:

Alive
    Even Flow
    Jeremy
    Black
    Daughter
    Better Man
    Corduroy

That's seven songs - unless YLB or Last Kiss (ugh) also sneak in.

Do the Foo Fighters have this many?

Everlong, Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Learn To Fly, All My Life, ....I know (many) more but not sure if any of them would be considered classics. Time Like This? This Is A Call?

Aren't those seven versions of the same exact Foo song?

The Foos are the perfect band for fans who are unsure whether they want to see a concert or go to a game.

A decent band but that they are on a list of "top" bands in any particular country...ugh.
  • 2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    :rofl: