Options

Best American Rock Band Ever

I'd like to entertain arguments for other American bands that surpass PJ. I don't think anything comes close but I'm biased. What are the best American bands of all time? As far as pj is concerned: Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check. 
HugePJFan
"...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im picking The Replacements or The Beach Boys but you cant go wrong 
  • Options
    hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    I have to listen to the replacements. But beach Boys, although I love them, are not even close imo. But it's subjective so I respect all opinions and will listen  to bands suggested here that I am not all that familiar with  In fact  I'm looking forward to doing it. I'm familiar with the beach Boys but  I can't agree with that. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    Petty is in there. Bob D. is in there. Creedance is in there. Doors are in there. Eagles are in there... 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    ZZ Top, REM, Aerosmith, Grateful Dead, CSN&Y, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Fleetwood Mac....just to name a few.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited August 2018
    Based on your criteria, id throw Aerosmith into the ring. And Tom petty and the heartbreakers. Can you count Bruce and the E street band? 

I dont know The Beach Boys well enough either. Other than pet sounds, they’ve always seemed a one trick pony to me; and, don’t get me wrong it’s a great trick. But, again, I’m ignorant to most of their catalogue save the one album and the hits. 

Tons of great bands, but the longevity is the one that’s most difficult to match. 

There’s no question PJ is the greatest rock band of this generation. 
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    The Wrecking Crew, The Funk Brother, The Swampers, as well as Booker T and The MGs should all get special consideration.  Missing the singer aspect, but all killer on propping up rotating vocalists.  Personally PJ is my favorite American band, but I also didn’t grow up in the wonderful 1960s.  
  • Options
    Aerosmith is terrible and I knew that that would be mentioned because I debate that at work with a dude all the time but you're entitled to that opinion. GD I didn't think of, good call there.fleetwood a little too short lived. Metallica is interesting. I don't like them but they have their own following.. I don't think they they  are all that involved with community and are greedy. But they are are a classic American band. Can't argue that. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    Interesting question. I assume you don't mean North Americans so that rules out Nickleback.

By limiting it to USA you rule out Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, U2.

You could argue Tom Petty, I wouldn't but you could. There's Metallica, I was a huge fan till Load then kind of left. But huge following. If Chris Cornell was a band he would be hard to beat but he was 3 bands plus a solo act. I love Prince but even though he had multiple bands he was primarily a solo act.

Yes OP you are correct. 
  • Options
    Interesting question. I assume you don't mean North Americans so that rules out Nickleback.

By limiting it to USA you rule out Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, U2.

You could argue Tom Petty, I wouldn't but you could. There's Metallica, I was a huge fan till Load then kind of left. But huge following. If Chris Cornell was a band he would be hard to beat but he was 3 bands plus a solo act. I love Prince but even though he had multiple bands he was primarily a solo act.

Yes OP you are correct. 
    I would put audioslave over sound garden but that's just me. If you make Cornell a band he's up there. Great point. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    Forgot one of my favs......Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band 

• Options
    dcp3y said:
    The Wrecking Crew, The Funk Brother, The Swampers, as well as Booker T and The MGs should all get special consideration.  Missing the singer aspect, but all killer on propping up rotating vocalists.  Personally PJ is my favorite American band, but I also didn’t grow up in the wonderful 1960s.  
    A lot of great recommendations! Thank you! 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    hugepjfan said:
    Aerosmith is terrible and I knew that that would be mentioned because I debate that at work with a dude all the time but you're entitled to that opinion. GD I didn't think of, good call there.fleetwood a little too short lived. Metallica is interesting. I don't like them but they have their own following.. I don't think they they  are all that involved with community and are greedy. But they are are a classic American band. Can't argue that. 
    Haha I don’t like Aerosmith either, but they hit a lot of your outlined criteria. I’m just tossing names out.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Eagles
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    So many good bands above

wrecking crew was just ridiculous.  No better talent but i cant qualify them.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    RobZ said:
    Seger I think is one of the most under-rated artists of all time.
    Not the greatest of all time but possibly the most over looked and I love his music.
  • Options
    Eagles
    I appreciate the Eagles, but them and Steve Miller band. I can't change the station fast enough.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    RobZ said:
    Not the greatest of all time but possibly the most over looked and I love his music.
    Good call. Creedance needs more love. They're my 2nd favorite American band to pj
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    RobZ said:
    One of the Biggest earners ever
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I threw this point in an edit and didn’t realize people were commenting so fast, so I want to make it again. Longevity combined with relevance is where PJ beats other bands. 

Most bands, great as they are, just don’t maintain.
  • Options
    Van Halen.....?????

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,436
    Bruce/E Street?
  • Options
    RobZ said:
    Van Halen.....?????
    This could be negligence on my part but I've never listened to a van Halen album straight through  I'm 39 so they were in their prime when I was coming up. I just have no interest there. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    I'm probably gonna take A LOT of heat for this nomination but Green Day has done very well for themselves.
  • Options
    Bruce/E Street?
    I'm from NJ but never got into them but I'm an outcast around here when it comes to Bruce. They have a PJ like following. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    Foo fighters
  • Options
    rummy said:
    I'm probably gonna take A LOT of heat for this nomination but Green Day has done very well for themselves.
    No heat from me. That is an excellent point. Great band. Great message. Longevity. Influencial. Def on the list imo. I forgot about them. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    rummy said:
    I teach high school and they are nearly as popular as when I was in high school. I’m over them, but they’re still attracting new fans and have kept it going. So I think it’s fair to toss them out there. 
  • Options
    jefft said:
    Foo fighters
    Fuck. You're right on. Prob above creedance. Quintessential American rock band. And I saw them last month and it was fucking awesome. Excellent call there. Can't believe I forgot them. Blame it on the vape. 
    HugePJFan