*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/20/18 ***

Comments

• jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Thanks tbergs
  • JF157715JF157715 Posts: 40
    Stone absolutely killed Throw Your Hatred Down. flames were literally coming off his hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZgjn65_Xw 
    I could not agree more with this. That's one of my very favorite PJ covers and I never thought I'd be lucky enough to hear it in person. That was a HUGE highlight for me. I'm disappointed that Ed didn't give Stone a shoutout afterwards because he definitely earned one. Aw hell, it's 20 hours late, but I'll do the honors: "Stone Gossard on guitar!!" Stone, we love you, buddy. :)  

With regard to the talk of stare downs and possible animosity among the band members, I suppose that could be. However, I do wonder if what looks like anger on the big screen is really just intense, telepathic-style concentration between musicians. I'm thinking specifically of the very noticeable Jeff-Ed stare down during "Patriot". I'm never aware of it but apparently I often frown at work when I'm problem-solving and people sometimes ask me if anything is wrong. Nope. Just thinkin'. If "work" involved getting a song that's jumped the rails in front of 40,000 people back on track I'd probably look pretty intense, too (and let's face it, a few of those songs were really jumping tonight, LOL!). Also, I'm sure that "three hour show in two and a half hours" mentality heightened everyone's emotions. In my view, the show really benefited from it. That might have been the best first set I've ever experienced, rail-jumpers and all. However, they didn't have the luxury of having time to laugh off the mistakes and start again as they've often done in the past.

Anyway, I hope everything's OK among the boys.

Fantastic show. 
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • cmalisze said:
    DPAtty said:
    shmap said:
    What a show! #33 for me and #23 for my mom. I predicted that if there was a rain delay they’d go high-intensity for the first 5-6 songs, and my god did they deliver. It’s OK, Smile -> Goat -> Leash, UGH. So good. 

Great crowd around us in Section L. Special mention to the kiddo with the Leash sign, and the dad-daughter combo right in front of us. She was maybe 10-11, knew most of the words, danced and played air guitar all night. I saw my first PJ show with my mom when I was 14, and it’s great to see this younger generation keeping it going.
    Show #3 and he's already a savvy vet, trolling Ed from Saturday's show. We tried four different days to get a train poster, to no avail, but he's got this one as a consolation prize. Thanks to all of you around us in Section L who made him feel special all night, especially when they actually played Leash. I love this band, and I love the family of people I meet at every show. My apologies if we bothered anyone holding the sign aloft.  Thanks to 10C for the seats. As for the show itself...it was smokin' with a consistent energy, unlike Saturday that seemed to be up and down. Hearing U and Come Back were highlights, and Daughter + tag was one of my all time favorite versions. And like always happens for me, I have new mental associations with old songs since the last time I could be at a show. So songs like Smile, GTF, Black, Immortality, and Lightning Bolt held new meaning, with a different listening experience. I'm driving home today, with little man sound asleep, so thankful that I still have the chance to see these guys at the peak of their musical powers, almost 20 years to the date from my first show, and to pass along my passion to my son in real time.

Dude, you guys were awesome! I was sitting next to you (well, there was one guy between us), I was wearing a red shirt. Thank you and your little guy for adding to my awesome night!
    Ha! I was the guy in the floppy hat in front of you. Kudos!
    Awesome time! Great meeting you! 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    mcgruff10 said:
    THe band pissed at ed? What show were you at because I didn’t pick up on that at all.
    we'll hear about it soon on altnation. 
    =)=)=)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Except for our flight being canceled and having to rent a car to drive back th Pittsburgh, it was a great time. Chicago is such a fun city. Only went to Monday’s show and wasn’t disappointed at all. Even the delay wasn’t that bad, started in the back of the GA pit and returned to the same spot. Given to Fly as an opener was great, and I always love hearing In My Tree and Immortality. Now let’s get a new album out and some more tour dates. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• oona left said:
    Awesome night, awesome show.  

One quick bitch:  I could not believe how many people, with Ed calling out the members of the band one by one and thanking us for sticking it out, just turned and started meandering towards the exits.  Couldn't even be bothered to make any fucking noise for these guys.  The entitlement of that attitude pisses me off.  They don't have to do this for us, you know?  The least you could do is fucking clap.  Fuck.  
    YES, thank you, this makes me so fucking pissed. Show some respect and appreciation; the band can see and hear you. The crowd needs to show up just as much as the band does, whether it's PJ in a huge stadium or a folk singer in a club.
    Vegas 12/1/93 & 7/11/98 -- SLC 11/2/95 -- San Diego 10/25/00 & 6/5/03 -- DC 5/30/06 & 6/22/08 -- SF 8/28/09 -- Philly 10/31/09, 10/21/13 & 10/22/13 -- Bristow 5/13/10 -- MSG 5/20/10 -- ATL 9/22/12 -- Baltimore 10/27/13 -- LA 11/24/13 -- Leeds 7/8/14 -- Denver 10/22/14

EVx5
  • CP218430 said:
    In My Tree into Immortality into Daughter was amazing. Now that might not look great but taht version of daughter is only topped by the one at the Gorge in 06 (I believe). That daughter is the best I will ever hear. Still liked Night 1 better but man did they bring it! Throw Your Hatred Down rocked way more than I thought it would. And U sounded as if they played it all the time. 
    Yes! Agreed. And Ed's speech between Daughter and the It's OK tag was heartfelt and meaningful.
    Vegas 12/1/93 & 7/11/98 -- SLC 11/2/95 -- San Diego 10/25/00 & 6/5/03 -- DC 5/30/06 & 6/22/08 -- SF 8/28/09 -- Philly 10/31/09, 10/21/13 & 10/22/13 -- Bristow 5/13/10 -- MSG 5/20/10 -- ATL 9/22/12 -- Baltimore 10/27/13 -- LA 11/24/13 -- Leeds 7/8/14 -- Denver 10/22/14

EVx5
  • DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    So happy with how much concert we got! Such a mixed emotions day worrying about the weather and scared we wouldn’t get a show at all. Had fun with my boys in the Ga line drinking some beers. By 7pm I was on the floor fucking pumped, thought we were in the clear. Then that EPIC storm happened. With how hard It was raining and lightning, I really didn’t think we would get back on the field. 

Watching people running back into GA was fucking crazy. I waited till it calmed down but people were just running by those security guards raising their arms to show the purple band, for sure people got through, but good for them!

I was right in the middle of GA, straight shot to Eddie mayyybe 15-20 rows back?. Had a great group of guys around me that didn’t care if I was jumping, dancing, singing aloud, it was awesome. Very positive and fun people all around me.

Opening with GTF while it was still raining was amazing. The first 6 songs I felt like the crowd had so much passion and fucking stress to get out, It seemed like the entire stadium was charged up and appreciative they were playing! Concert in the rain was truely an awesome experience, I didn’t want it to end at all. 

We still got 29 songs?! Holy shit! I didn’t want the concert to end. Setlist top to bottom was awesome, we needed to hear the hard rockers, needed the hits, got a couple rare deep cuts. Unthought Known was a dark horse favorite of mine played. I had LEASH stuck in my head the entire night after the show, chanting it in the bathrooms and the walk out of the stadium. I had so much fun and always met awesome people.

2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • LePep1LePep1 Posts: 13
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did anyone else beside me mistake the beginning drums of in my tree for who you are?
    i know some people are tired of them but porch and rvm in a single show is mind blowing. 
    Yes, same thing happened to me, I even turned to my body and said Who you are!
    '13: Worcester 2
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Fort Lauderdale / Miami
  • Saturday and Monday were show one and two for me and my wife. The Monday show started out bad for us but then turned out great. Our fan club seats were section 412, row 3 seat 3 and 4. Once we got to the seats, seat 4 was right behind a large tv camera. We got advice that customer service would exchange seats with obstructed views. We got our tickets exchanged and move down to the area behind home plate. Everybody we meet were super cool.
    highlight of the show was Black. The tempo of the set list and the energy  of the crowd just capped off the weekend. Seemed like our whole section was singing and rocking to Jeremy.
    i am trying to work out the time and budget to make one of the Boston shows.

Wrigley 8/18/18
    Wrigley 8/20/18
    Fenway 9/2/2018
    Fenway 9/4/2018

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    edited August 2018

Finally got to see a show at Wrigley. It was worth the wait. Except the 2 super hammered broads trying to run me out of my seat the experience was perfect.

Post edited by klusterfuk on
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Two things I just remembered:

1. Ed fucking up Even Flow and changing the lyrics to “ohhh feeeelin sucking my dick nanananana” lololol

2. Everyone chanting DIRTY FRANK 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    40th show and finally got to hear Leash!
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Did Mcgruff meet the band???
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    oona left said:

One quick bitch:  I could not believe how many people, with Ed calling out the members of the band one by one and thanking us for sticking it out, just turned and started meandering towards the exits.  Couldn't even be bothered to make any fucking noise for these guys.  The entitlement of that attitude pisses me off.  They don't have to do this for us, you know?  The least you could do is fucking clap.  Fuck.  
    YES, thank you, this makes me so fucking pissed. Show some respect and appreciation; the band can see and hear you. The crowd needs to show up just as much as the band does, whether it's PJ in a huge stadium or a folk singer in a club.
    Relax guys. It was a Monday night and the show did end an hour later. Pj fans are old, have families, jobs etc. I’m sure boom was ok with 2 percent of the crowd hauling out to beat the rush instead of getting a wave from edvedhead6969
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    nycrats said:
    oona left said:

Relax guys. It was a Monday night and the show did end an hour later. Pj fans are old, have families, jobs etc. I’m sure boom was ok with 2 percent of the crowd hauling out to beat the rush instead of getting a wave from edvedhead6969
    Those that didn't clap also probably saved $75 on their Uber before surge pricing kicked in... 
  • Waves4to6ftWaves4to6ft Jerz Posts: 108
    Another amazing night! Phew. Sooooo good.
    my take on the “riff” was Eddie forgot lyrics to like 3/4 songs. Then during Even flow Jeff and Stone broke ed’s Balls by acting like they forgot the music to even flow. Fucking hilarious. Thx again boys! And the “play Leash Fukwad” sign was A+.
    If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one...
  • Did Mcgruff meet the band???
    Nope.

Scruffy ate deep dish pizza at Lou's and ended up shitting his pants.

He was buying some Russell PJ sweats when the band came to meet the VIPs. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Nope.

Scruffy ate deep dish pizza at Lou's and ended up shitting his pants.

He was buying some Russell PJ sweats when the band came to meet the VIPs. 
    :rofl: 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    tbergs said:
    Was a great show to periscope besides the brawl the scoper got involved in during MYM, of all songs :lol: . I wasn't there, but they didn't seem as tight musically, which may have been due to the weather. There were miscues on lyrics and guitars, but nothing major. That said GTF sounded the best I have ever heard, especially to open the show. Ed was dead on. Ed also seemed to have forgotten or drifted off during Evenflow, but if I wasn't mistaken it sounded like the old school start and even a bit of a yell from Ed at the beginning, maybe that was just a fan though. The solo killed as usual.
    I was on that feed watching pooner get whacked. Very surreal and great banter 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    My take on Evwnflow was that they went 03 after the goof Matt solo (we don’t get that enough) and then back on track with Mike solo. Those 03 shows didn’t have the goof but they had Matt or Mike solos. This had both.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2018
    Unfortunately no.  The "VIP Tickets" that I won through Global Citizens didn't match the hype.  I was able to access two areas that the general public could not: floor level right next to the stage (no view of the stage) and on top of the right field bleachers (again no real view of the stage).  There I was able to purchase $12 beers, $8 hot dogs and $6 waters.  
    And there was no free merch or swag bag whatsoever.  I was really bummed after hearing what the winner got in Missoula.  
    Seats were on the floor, Section N Row 13 which again I thought would have been better.

Overall fantastic show, loved the setlist, the venue and Chicago really won me over with its amazing food, sights and people.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    After the delay, we lucked out with little rain then nice.  Great show, some of positive energy from the crowd. Setlist, while not the best, had some awesome gems and some of my favorites.  U, Smile, Last Exit, In My Tree, Etc.  We got Leash and ELG!!!  Glad everyone had a good time.  Met some cool people.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Can anyone here confirm how pissed they were when MYM started after last exit? Lol. I was watching on periscope and it bummed me out! I was hoping you guys got vitalogy after that delay. But obviously, it didn’t matter because from the videos and these fanviews it was yet another killer show. 
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    nicknyr15 said:
    Can anyone here confirm how pissed they were when MYM started after last exit? Lol. I was watching on periscope and it bummed me out! I was hoping you guys got vitalogy after that delay. But obviously, it didn’t matter because from the videos and these fanviews it was yet another killer show. 
    Yes. I can confirm. What I can confirm is that I was not pissed at all.  I would have gone absolutely bonkers if the next song after Last Exit was Spin the Black Circle, though. In hindsight, it was probably a good thing. I may have actually soiled myself.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    JTH said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yes. I can confirm. What I can confirm is that I was not pissed at all.  I would have gone absolutely bonkers if the next song after Last Exit was Spin the Black Circle, though. In hindsight, it was probably a good thing. I may have actually soiled myself.
    I think I would of soiled myself and I wasn’t even there. 
  • digdougreiddigdougreid Sedalia VA Posts: 10
    This was my 8th show and first one back after a 15 year break (having kids takes a lot of time, energy and money). May have been my best one yet but I probably said that after the first 7 to be fair. 

The opening 6 songs were relentless
    Opera man style Evenflow verse
    Lukin' into Porch was such an epic way to end the first set. Porch solo was surreal. 
    Easily the best Black I've ever heard.
    Jeff on the 6 string for Smile (maybe he does that every time but I had never seen it before) and crushed it. 
    Lightning Bolt to RVM - most likely why I have no voice today. 
    Holy shit, LEASH
    D-bones on the harp for the Baba outro and Ed smashes his guitar... 
    Plus so many other deep cuts throughout the night. 

Not gonna lie, it's really hard to go back to work today. 
    98 Greenville | 00 Charlotte | 00 Greensboro | 00 Atlanta | 00 Tampa | 03 Raleigh | 03 Charlotte | 03 Atlanta | 18 Wrigley #2 | 22 Denver
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    Now that was some great songs ,this will be a neat cd boxset

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    unikunka said:
    I was kidding before but I was two deep right between Stone andsee Ed and it was fun to see their interaction. 

Ed snapped at Stone when Stone started playing DTE but Ed wanted to talk.  That wasn't a big deal.   It did look like Ed was surprised when they started Daughter (set had Gonna See My Friend but scratched) but since everyone else had their Daughter gear maybe that was Ed not knowing what was next. 

The biggest "beef" was after Smile.  Again there was confusion cause they didn't go offstage and they had a "mound meeting".  They played Smile then it looked like Stone didn't know what they were playing -- he didn't have a guitar and Ed was like "Goat then Leash" and sorta playfully pushed him to go get a guitar and Stone had the "don't yell at me you didn't tell me what was going on" look.  

I guarantee you it was nothing but after that except for the jam part Stone looked like he was done -- hence the quick exit and not being part of the team photo which is more funny than anything.  To be fair Boom missed it too. 

This is what I saw too from 6th Row GA in front of Ed.  Stone was clearly unhappy during Evil Little Goat and Leash.  Ed had to come pat Stone on the back at the end right after they started Leash.  Looked like a "hang in there Stone, I know this wasn't perfect at the end buddy, don't get all worked up, still love ya" type interaction.
  • CE220611CE220611 Naperville, IL Posts: 11
    Anyone know what was up with the theo shirt?