Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I see no lessons were learned in 2013, lol.
    It was a shit show Allie. 
    It just amazes me that they let it happen AGAIN. It would not be difficult to do a controlled reentry. It wouldn't even take that many staff. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that after 2013, they didn't come up with a GA reentry policy that prevented this, considering that safety is such an issue when there is a stampede. And now I'm reading about the stories of how some people behaved once they got back in the pit, literally as though their name had been carved into their previous spot.... Some people man, geez.
    In all fairness to the Wrigley Field security and staff, I don’t think there was anything they could have done to prevent this. They were simply outnumbered. And you are right. Once back in the pit, people turned real ugly. It got hostile at times to the point I thought a brawl was going to break out. It’s surprising that no one ended up getting injured. 
    I definitely think there was something they could have done to prevent this dangerous stampede. All they needed was a controlled reentry. I.e. make everyone line up and only allow a limited number of people at time to walk back to the field, in queue. The venue definitely has control over the field entry points. No running. Have a few from security there to enforce it. Once you include actual rules and organization and security, people tend to behave themselves.
    They had several people at my entry point and stated very clearly that anyone who ran would be ejected. The moment they said you’re free to go, all bets were off and all hell broke loose. What you’re saying makes perfect sense on paper. Executing it last night was not happening. 
    This 100%

Alpha males came to play in GA last night. Mix an Alpha male with losing HIS spot he waited for all day and you have yourself a real piece of shit human being. Loved the hypocrisy of people cheering during Ed's - Its okay speech. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Rain was cool, the show was okay and a shortened set was a bummer. The show is possibly the worst pj show I have seen out of 20ish . Still better than every other band I’ve seen live. So great weekend in my book. 
    It wasn’t really a shortened set. They just didn’t do any talking, skipped an encore and the other was about 5 minutes to fit a 3-hour show in only 2.5 hours.
  • sissonp33sissonp33 Posts: 80
    edited August 2018
    Loved the hypocrisy of people cheering during Ed's - Its okay speech. 

Had this same thought as he was saying it. Although I question the people who don’t cheer for that speech even more.  
    Post edited by sissonp33 on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    mace1229 said:
    Rain was cool, the show was okay and a shortened set was a bummer. The show is possibly the worst pj show I have seen out of 20ish . Still better than every other band I’ve seen live. So great weekend in my book. 
    It wasn’t really a shortened set. They just didn’t do any talking, skipped an encore and the other was about 5 minutes to fit a 3-hour show in only 2.5 hours.
    Kinda cool, right?
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    mace1229 said:
    Impressive how they were able to give us the full show, and it didn't feel like they ever missed a beat. 
  • By the way, speaking of weather, I do think we need to hand it to the staff for the timing and handling of the delay last night (GA shuffling notwithstanding). They didn’t jump the gun, but when they made the call it was necessary. I’m at the White Sox game tonight and they just put the tarp on the field a second time without restarting play. Obviously far different logistics and not thousands of fans on the field to deal with, but they looked kind of ridiculous taking the tarp off and then putting it straight back on before even rolling it up. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited August 2018
    I didnt have time after getting home last night to say this, but I think it needs to be said now.

I think the band, staff and everyone involved deserves a giant "thank you!" and applause. Especially the band.
    I've never seen another band who would still put on a FULL show after that. In order to make it a fulI show they had to skip their breaks and downtime and I don't know how they had the energy to do it either. Mostly faster songs, full energy and it was amazing.
    I had low expectations walking back to the field at 9:00, and they blew them away. I can't say it was my favorite show, but it doesn't have to be and to be amazing and very memorable. There is literally nothing I can complain about that could have or should have changed on behalf of the band or their staff. 
    Like I said, what other band would still do that and pull off a 3-hour show in only 2.5 hours?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I see no lessons were learned in 2013, lol.
    It was a shit show Allie. 
    It just amazes me that they let it happen AGAIN. It would not be difficult to do a controlled reentry. It wouldn't even take that many staff. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that after 2013, they didn't come up with a GA reentry policy that prevented this, considering that safety is such an issue when there is a stampede. And now I'm reading about the stories of how some people behaved once they got back in the pit, literally as though their name had been carved into their previous spot.... Some people man, geez.
    In all fairness to the Wrigley Field security and staff, I don’t think there was anything they could have done to prevent this. They were simply outnumbered. And you are right. Once back in the pit, people turned real ugly. It got hostile at times to the point I thought a brawl was going to break out. It’s surprising that no one ended up getting injured. 
    I definitely think there was something they could have done to prevent this dangerous stampede. All they needed was a controlled reentry. I.e. make everyone line up and only allow a limited number of people at time to walk back to the field, in queue. The venue definitely has control over the field entry points. No running. Have a few from security there to enforce it. Once you include actual rules and organization and security, people tend to behave themselves.
    They had several people at my entry point and stated very clearly that anyone who ran would be ejected. The moment they said you’re free to go, all bets were off and all hell broke loose. What you’re saying makes perfect sense on paper. Executing it last night was not happening. 
    Okay, but that doesn't mean it can't be executed well. Obviously Wrigley just didn't do it well - they need to train the staff to do it right, enforce the rules, and probably even do some drills. Plus, it didn't look to me like they had controlled entry in terms of limiting how many went through the entry points at a time. That part is crucial - it's the only way to enforce order.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • GuitarEnthusiastGuitarEnthusiast Posts: 627
    edited August 2018
    Here's a video I shot with the rain coming down and some lightning in the background as they start the show.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/0zKOAm2bmtw
    Post edited by GuitarEnthusiast on
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited August 2018
    Here's a video I shot with the rain coming down and some lightning in the background as they start the show.
    Now thats a cool vid! This band did not have to come on when they did or play at all. Many thanks to them and the staff for pulling off an unforgettable night. 
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    nice job!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited August 2018
    Ray J. T. said:
    mace1229 said:
    Impressive how they were able to give us the full show, and it didn't feel like they ever missed a beat. 
    feel all they cut out was the 2 "slower" opener songs and one in encore 2.  show was a lot of fun and kudos to them to making sure the show happened for everyone 
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Hearing Rain, in that rain, will be a moment I never forget. Absolutely amazing. Thank you Pearl Jam.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Awesome!!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    That is a nice video.

https://youtu.be/0zKOAm2bmtw
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    RS65573 said:
    Hearing Rain, in that rain, will be a moment I never forget. Absolutely amazing. Thank you Pearl Jam.
    Agreed, that was one sweet cover.   I can't believe how hard it was raining during the first six songs; I actually thought it was pretty cool.

Jeff, where were you during the delay?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......